CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Do you pass on first year models (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4220255-do-you-pass-on-first-year-models.html)

ojm 12-08-2018 03:25 PM

Do you pass on first year models

Just wondering, how others weigh the pro and con.
If the new C8 has killer look's I will buy, mainly because I'm long in the tooth.

Foosh 12-08-2018 03:33 PM

I'm batting 1000 w/ first year cars. Just within the last 15 years, I've purchased a first year C6, first year C6 Z06, first year Mustang GT w/ Coyote V8, first year Jaguar F-Type, and first year C7 Z51. NONE had any warranty issues during my ownership.

During that same period, I've had warranty issues with a later year Audi RS4, a last year BMW E93 M3, and my current 18 C7 Z51, although the 18 C7 was just a failed 02 sensor.

KCV 12-08-2018 03:36 PM

I prefer to give it a couple years to get some of the kinks worked out. However, the transition from the bulletproof A6 to the troublesome A8 has not gone too well.

abusdriver 12-08-2018 03:41 PM

Not sure about cars but in the Air Force we had a saying: "Never fly the 'A' model of anything!":D

Foosh 12-08-2018 03:42 PM

There is a credible school of thought suggesting that later years are vulnerable to manufacturing complacency, and economizing on sources of parts. Intro cars tend to get an awful lot more QA attention.

2-3 decades ago, it used to be a truism to avoid new models, but the data just don't support that notion anymore. I would agree it's more true w/ airplanes than automobiles, having spent my career in the aviation biz. However, we're talking much more complex systems.

Sin City 12-08-2018 03:42 PM

I got an early C7 convertible. I had zero mechanical issues with it but the general quality control or paint and interior was poor. Over time I'm sure they improved it.

ojm 12-08-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by abusdriver (Post 1598466358)
Not sure about cars but in the Air Force we had a saying: "Never fly the 'A' model of anything!":D

Lot of truth there:lol:

elegant 12-08-2018 03:47 PM

My first week of production C7 Z06 has been fantastic. Not concerned, and in line to similarly get a very early ME.

Zora.Info 12-08-2018 03:50 PM

I would say no to passing on first year models. If it was the '70s, I'd pass but not anymore. The quality we have nowadays is crazy good. There is just no reason anymore to deprive yourself of a nice car for a whole year waiting for then to get the kinks worked out. Plus, there is always warranty and lemon law if you do have issues. If I had the money, I'd buy the new ME in a heartbeat.

firstvettesoon 12-08-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by abusdriver (Post 1598466358)

... but someone has to...

BMadden 12-08-2018 04:16 PM

'14 Stingray was the first time I've bought a car in it's initial year and I had it for 3 years with no problems before trading for a new Z06. With the mid-engine car, however, I'd be more inclined to wait a couple years as I do think there will be a lot more bugs to work out on the C8 than there were with the C7.

PCMIII 12-08-2018 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by BMadden (Post 1598466542)
'14 Stingray was the first time I've bought a car in it's initial year and I had it for 3 years with no problems.

Well lots of people, including me, had problems with the Infotainment screen going black and needing to be replaced. That is a very expensive item.

The ME is going to be completely new from the tires up so it will be a bigger gamble than any previous generation.

Zora.Info 12-08-2018 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1598466577)
Well lots of people, including me, had problems with the Infotainment screen going black and needing to be replaced. That is a very expensive item.

The ME is going to be completely new from the tires up so it will be a bigger gamble than any previous generation.

Warranty...
GM is taking the time and not rushing the car. They know it's a big deal.

Foosh 12-08-2018 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PCMIII (Post 1598466577)

This is yet another example of dozens of completely unfounded and illogical assertions on your part. There's nothing "completely new" about the ME design, which has been perfected by others over many years. GM will simply be replicating what many others have already proven and done.

And what the hell does your infotainment screen have to do with anything? That was just a simple supplier issue, and a very easy and cheap replacement. It had nothing to do with an engineering mistake.

PCMIII 12-08-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1598466643)
. There's nothing "completely new" about the ME design, which has been perfect by others over many years. .

Yes! How could I forget the Fiero which was such a huge success for GM? And you are so right that "the ME design, which has been perfect by others" means that Corvette will have no problem matching Ferrari's 488 just like you have no problem writing correct English sentences.

Foosh 12-08-2018 05:01 PM

You just love to keep bringing up the Fiero, which was designed nearly 40 years ago and went out of production 30 years ago. That's yet another an example of your short-circuited thinking. To link the GM of 2018 to the GM of 1982 is delusional.

I can't name a single manufacturer, who hasn't had at least one failure in 40 years. It actually wasn't a bad car, except that it was afflicted by the 80's disease, when many manufacturers were struggling with emissions control regulations and quality.

However, it also illustrates that mid-engine is a very old concept, and it is far from revolutionary. Oops, you just contradicted yourself again.

sunsalem 12-08-2018 05:18 PM

Although I'm not looking to buy a C8 right now, if I was I would be skipping the first year.

84 4+3 12-08-2018 05:32 PM

My current vette is a first year. Granted that isn't a fair comparison but it isn't plagued with a lot of the problems the later C4s had so go figure. I wouldn't have an issue with a first year C8 if I could afford it. GM has a damn good engineering team behind it and for the most part, any and all related problems to anything they do is generally caused by the bean counters... just my opinion.

NY09C6 12-08-2018 07:01 PM

Yes, but mainly due to refusing to ever pay sticker price. Especially on cars that generally are heavily discounted after the first year or two.

Mr Triple Black 12-08-2018 07:16 PM

I’ll pass on first year but that has more to do with the fact I want a higher end version and refuse to pay over sticker for something that’s going to depreciate hard shortly there after.