CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Do you Store or Drive living in snow belts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4220287-do-you-store-or-drive-living-in-snow-belts.html)

rrwirsi 12-08-2018 05:09 PM

Do you Store or Drive living in snow belts

I do not store my car in the winter months even though I live where it snows, sometimes a lot. Today, Temp at 35 degrees but sunny, I jumped in (after icing my sprain left knee so I can push in the clutch), and spent 2 hours just driving around. It is just a rush to my spirits driving my 04 Vert even though I did not drop the top. This car brings so many smiles/memories to me that I could not imagine not driving it for 4 to 5 months during the winter weather months absent any snow/ice/salt on the roads.

4XLR8N 12-08-2018 05:24 PM

I store my cars because, here in SE MI, once the first salt is put down...there is rarely, if ever, a time where the salt dust isn't everywhere. Yeah, the roads are dry, but that salt dust gets into everything...just like driving down a dusty dirt road. While the body panels are impervious to rust, the mechanicals are not.

Denny Kohlman 12-08-2018 05:44 PM

storage

I also live in the southern part of Michigan and I store mine from November to May/June depending on the weather.

zachaeous 12-08-2018 05:48 PM

I have not ever completely stored my Corvettes. I have been caught driving in major snow storms a couple of times. This was due to being on vacations and having to drive back from Florida back to Illinois. I did not enjoy driving in snow at all. Salt also sucks but it can be washed off if am forced to be out in winter driving seasons. I used to be a lot more particular when I was younger. Now I figure at my age all I am doing is saving the car for its next owner. LOL

Fcar 98 12-08-2018 05:54 PM

If the roads are clean and dry in the winter I will take mine out and run it. The other problem in this city are the pot holes. The mayor is more concerned with bike lanes than the roads that we drive on. They never caught up with the bad roads from last year. Don't get me started, sorry.

cwf04vette 12-08-2018 08:29 PM

Here in NE Pa I store mine from early December to mid to late March depending on the road conditions. If it's a nice day and the roads are clean I'll run it around our neighborhood a few times during winter.

El original 12-08-2018 08:30 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fc35ba9101.jpg
I prefer to keep my Corvette in the garage...only if to be able to find it come spring (what ever day that happens on) Wishing all a very Merry Christmas and all the best come the New Year. Cheers, Rob

knewblewkorvette 12-08-2018 08:58 PM

I store both of mine.

flyingmfrc 12-08-2018 09:10 PM

It snowed a good bit this past week. The C5 is on the battery tender. At 7,000 feet in Flagstaff, we can get a lot of snow. but the streets clear up pretty fast with the dry climate. It's a dry cold you know. I'll be taking the FRC out tomorrow though. I may not drive it as much during the winter, but I'll drive it occasionally.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d919590634.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f4b2ea61be.jpg

corvette.cw 12-08-2018 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fcar 98 (Post 1598466962)
If the roads are clean and dry in the winter I will take mine out and run it.

Same here.

Some winters we get a lot of snow, but sometimes we hardly get any. You never know from one year to the next around here. Even when it does snow, it usually doesn't stick around for very long.

Jackie N 12-08-2018 09:56 PM

My first winter with my Z06 , definitely won't drive it. For one thing, once the salt is down it's game over for keeping the car clean.. And secondly it's riding on 345/25/20 rears so traction in crap conditions is a pipe dream.

I'll take it out after the spring rains wash away the salt.

Mac11 12-08-2018 10:41 PM

Stored with a tank full of non ethynol premium and a battery tender till April. Not a lotta salt on the roads here but they use some kind of glycol solution that eats metal.

Jackie N 12-08-2018 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mac11 (Post 1598468181)
Stored with a tank full of non ethynol premium and a battery tender till April. Not a lotta salt on the roads here but they use some kind of glycol solution that eats metal.

Full tank?

Guess you didn't get the memo lol

Vetteman Jack 12-08-2018 11:23 PM

I normally store my car from around December 1st until mid-March or so. I will get it out on occasion if the roads are clear of snow, ice, salt or cinders.

DDaaryl 12-09-2018 07:24 AM

While living in Vermont for 30 years all my Corvettes were stored. Road salt, frost heaves and post holes help confirm my decision. Now as a snowbird living in Florida I store my vert during hurricane season when I go to my summer lake home.

Daddy o 12-09-2018 07:50 AM

Here in the Southern Tier of NY, it's a no brainier ! Car goes in the barn around end of Oct. Battery tender plugged in, staybil in with full tank. Yes, I got the memo. Live on top of a mountain with 2800 ft. Elevation. Once it snows, it stays till end of March or early April. Won't come out of the barn till all the salt dust is gone. You can wash till hell freezes over (no pun intended) , that dust gets into everything and you'll never get it all out. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years.

jd911 12-09-2018 08:38 AM

I drive mine at least once a month, more often if the weather is nice, so long as there's no salt on the roads. We live far enough off the beaten paths, that we seldom get any salt. Mine has a great heater in it.

The best mechanic I ever knew, my grandfather, advised me, "The best way to store a care, is not to".

Jim

leadfoot4 12-09-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N (Post 1598466839)
I store my cars because, here in SE MI, once the first salt is put down...there is rarely, if ever, a time where the salt dust isn't everywhere. Yeah, the roads are dry, but that salt dust gets into everything...just like driving down a dusty dirt road. While the body panels are impervious to rust, the mechanicals are not.

:yesnod: :yesnod:

Originally Posted by Jackie N (Post 1598468194)
Full tank?

Guess you didn't get the memo lol

Most of us weren't aware of the "memo" until it was posted here, several days ago. I've been storing my '01 C-5 with approximately 3/4 tank of gas, since the first winter I've had the car. And during that 17 year period, I've had no issues (knock on wood) with the gas gauge.

Originally Posted by Daddy o (Post 1598468854)
Here in the Southern Tier of NY, it's a no brainier ! Car goes in the barn around end of Oct. Battery tender plugged in, staybil in with full tank. Yes, I got the memo. Live on top of a mountain with 2800 ft. Elevation. Once it snows, it stays till end of March or early April. Won't come out of the barn till all the salt dust is gone. You can wash till hell freezes over (no pun intended) , that dust gets into everything and you'll never get it all out. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

:thumbs: :iagree:

99blkfrc99 12-09-2018 10:56 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3db5fb2412.jpg

WayneCar 12-09-2018 11:46 AM

I try to drive my Z06 at least once a week in the winter as long as the roads are clear and any salt/chemical has washed away. We usually don't get alot of snow
here in western central Virginia, but I should note it is snowing right now and the Z will be in the garage until roads are clean.
Wayne