CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Do you Store or Drive living in snow belts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4220287-do-you-store-or-drive-living-in-snow-belts.html)

rrwirsi 12-08-2018 05:09 PM

Do you Store or Drive living in snow belts

I do not store my car in the winter months even though I live where it snows, sometimes a lot. Today, Temp at 35 degrees but sunny, I jumped in (after icing my sprain left knee so I can push in the clutch), and spent 2 hours just driving around. It is just a rush to my spirits driving my 04 Vert even though I did not drop the top. This car brings so many smiles/memories to me that I could not imagine not driving it for 4 to 5 months during the winter weather months absent any snow/ice/salt on the roads.

4XLR8N 12-08-2018 05:24 PM

I store my cars because, here in SE MI, once the first salt is put down...there is rarely, if ever, a time where the salt dust isn't everywhere. Yeah, the roads are dry, but that salt dust gets into everything...just like driving down a dusty dirt road. While the body panels are impervious to rust, the mechanicals are not.

Denny Kohlman 12-08-2018 05:44 PM

storage

I also live in the southern part of Michigan and I store mine from November to May/June depending on the weather.

zachaeous 12-08-2018 05:48 PM

I have not ever completely stored my Corvettes. I have been caught driving in major snow storms a couple of times. This was due to being on vacations and having to drive back from Florida back to Illinois. I did not enjoy driving in snow at all. Salt also sucks but it can be washed off if am forced to be out in winter driving seasons. I used to be a lot more particular when I was younger. Now I figure at my age all I am doing is saving the car for its next owner. LOL

Fcar 98 12-08-2018 05:54 PM

If the roads are clean and dry in the winter I will take mine out and run it. The other problem in this city are the pot holes. The mayor is more concerned with bike lanes than the roads that we drive on. They never caught up with the bad roads from last year. Don't get me started, sorry.

cwf04vette 12-08-2018 08:29 PM

Here in NE Pa I store mine from early December to mid to late March depending on the road conditions. If it's a nice day and the roads are clean I'll run it around our neighborhood a few times during winter.

El original 12-08-2018 08:30 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fc35ba9101.jpg
I prefer to keep my Corvette in the garage...only if to be able to find it come spring (what ever day that happens on) Wishing all a very Merry Christmas and all the best come the New Year. Cheers, Rob

knewblewkorvette 12-08-2018 08:58 PM

I store both of mine.

flyingmfrc 12-08-2018 09:10 PM

It snowed a good bit this past week. The C5 is on the battery tender. At 7,000 feet in Flagstaff, we can get a lot of snow. but the streets clear up pretty fast with the dry climate. It's a dry cold you know. I'll be taking the FRC out tomorrow though. I may not drive it as much during the winter, but I'll drive it occasionally.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d919590634.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f4b2ea61be.jpg

corvette.cw 12-08-2018 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Fcar 98 (Post 1598466962)
If the roads are clean and dry in the winter I will take mine out and run it.

Same here.

Some winters we get a lot of snow, but sometimes we hardly get any. You never know from one year to the next around here. Even when it does snow, it usually doesn't stick around for very long.

Jackie N 12-08-2018 09:56 PM

My first winter with my Z06 , definitely won't drive it. For one thing, once the salt is down it's game over for keeping the car clean.. And secondly it's riding on 345/25/20 rears so traction in crap conditions is a pipe dream.

I'll take it out after the spring rains wash away the salt.

Mac11 12-08-2018 10:41 PM

Stored with a tank full of non ethynol premium and a battery tender till April. Not a lotta salt on the roads here but they use some kind of glycol solution that eats metal.

Jackie N 12-08-2018 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mac11 (Post 1598468181)
Stored with a tank full of non ethynol premium and a battery tender till April. Not a lotta salt on the roads here but they use some kind of glycol solution that eats metal.

Full tank?

Guess you didn't get the memo lol

Vetteman Jack 12-08-2018 11:23 PM

I normally store my car from around December 1st until mid-March or so. I will get it out on occasion if the roads are clear of snow, ice, salt or cinders.

DDaaryl 12-09-2018 07:24 AM

While living in Vermont for 30 years all my Corvettes were stored. Road salt, frost heaves and post holes help confirm my decision. Now as a snowbird living in Florida I store my vert during hurricane season when I go to my summer lake home.

Daddy o 12-09-2018 07:50 AM

Here in the Southern Tier of NY, it's a no brainier ! Car goes in the barn around end of Oct. Battery tender plugged in, staybil in with full tank. Yes, I got the memo. Live on top of a mountain with 2800 ft. Elevation. Once it snows, it stays till end of March or early April. Won't come out of the barn till all the salt dust is gone. You can wash till hell freezes over (no pun intended) , that dust gets into everything and you'll never get it all out. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years.

jd911 12-09-2018 08:38 AM

I drive mine at least once a month, more often if the weather is nice, so long as there's no salt on the roads. We live far enough off the beaten paths, that we seldom get any salt. Mine has a great heater in it.

The best mechanic I ever knew, my grandfather, advised me, "The best way to store a care, is not to".

Jim

leadfoot4 12-09-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N (Post 1598466839)
I store my cars because, here in SE MI, once the first salt is put down...there is rarely, if ever, a time where the salt dust isn't everywhere. Yeah, the roads are dry, but that salt dust gets into everything...just like driving down a dusty dirt road. While the body panels are impervious to rust, the mechanicals are not.

:yesnod: :yesnod:

Originally Posted by Jackie N (Post 1598468194)
Full tank?

Guess you didn't get the memo lol

Most of us weren't aware of the "memo" until it was posted here, several days ago. I've been storing my '01 C-5 with approximately 3/4 tank of gas, since the first winter I've had the car. And during that 17 year period, I've had no issues (knock on wood) with the gas gauge.

Originally Posted by Daddy o (Post 1598468854)
Here in the Southern Tier of NY, it's a no brainier ! Car goes in the barn around end of Oct. Battery tender plugged in, staybil in with full tank. Yes, I got the memo. Live on top of a mountain with 2800 ft. Elevation. Once it snows, it stays till end of March or early April. Won't come out of the barn till all the salt dust is gone. You can wash till hell freezes over (no pun intended) , that dust gets into everything and you'll never get it all out. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

:thumbs: :iagree:

99blkfrc99 12-09-2018 10:56 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3db5fb2412.jpg

WayneCar 12-09-2018 11:46 AM

I try to drive my Z06 at least once a week in the winter as long as the roads are clear and any salt/chemical has washed away. We usually don't get alot of snow
here in western central Virginia, but I should note it is snowing right now and the Z will be in the garage until roads are clean.
Wayne

rrwirsi 12-09-2018 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by jd911 (Post 1598469020)
I drive mine at least once a month, more often if the weather is nice, so long as there's no salt on the roads. We live far enough off the beaten paths, that we seldom get any salt. Mine has a great heater in it.

The best mechanic I ever knew, my grandfather, advised me, "The best way to store a care, is not to".

Jim

:iagree:

c4cruiser 12-09-2018 12:22 PM

High performance tires are not suited for driving in snow, ice, or cold temps. Tire manufacturers usually have disclaimers on websites about not driving in those conditions The compounds get hard and traction can easily go away. If the roads are covered with snow, the front air dams can work like small snowplows and buildup from that can block the path for incoming air to the radiator and air intake for the engine. Snow can even rip those air dams off the car.

I usually don't drive either my C4 or C5 once the weather gets bad, I have battery maintainers on both cars and I keep about a 3/4 tank of 92 octane gas in each along with some StaBil gas treatment.

knewblewkorvette 12-09-2018 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by flyingmfrc (Post 1598467822)
It snowed a good bit this past week. The C5 is on the battery tender. At 7,000 feet in Flagstaff, we can get a lot of snow. but the streets clear up pretty fast with the dry climate. It's a dry cold you know. I'll be taking the FRC out tomorrow though. I may not drive it as much during the winter, but I'll drive it occasionally.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d919590634.jpg

Wow, nice old blower. I have the 1994 smaller TRS 22 all restored. It was my Dad's.

grantv 12-09-2018 01:20 PM

Stored away until spring. I have a friend who drives a newer 911, has 4 winters so he can drive it year round roads permitting. I couldn't be bothered even if I could afford 4 extra tires...

Fatbob 12-09-2018 02:06 PM

The salt is what keeps me from driving mine. Mine will be sleeping in till March

Daddy o 12-09-2018 02:50 PM

Next we'll all be looking for Mich. run flat snows with studs! If it gets real bad we'll throw a set of chains on too! :)

Jeffs82c3 12-09-2018 04:20 PM

blacktapeandnails 12-09-2018 11:11 PM

Also in the Southern Tier of NY my 02 been stored since the end of October and will stay until rain cleans the copious amount of salt of the roads usually if lucky middle to end of March.

junk c5 12-10-2018 12:15 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...19bd16544.jpeg
My car stays in my heated garage year round.

itzza427 12-10-2018 12:25 AM

As long as there isn't snow on the road. Single digit temps really wakes the LS up. You do have to pay attention with cold tires on cold worn smooth asphalt . It is quite fun.

leadfoot4 12-10-2018 07:39 AM

One thing that I'll mention, that generally isn't discussed in these "do you drive your Corvette in the winter" threads, is the topic of tires. Beginning in 1984, Corvettes have been equipped with wider and wider, low profile tires, and they don't work well in snow. I don't mean from the temperature/rubber compound aspect, but the ability of a wide tire to cope with snow. My 50 years of winter driving experience has taught me that in order to effectively deal with snow, a narrower tire works much better at punching through the snow. There are just not any alternative sizes that fit a Corvette, that will maintain an OD that will make the operating systems happy, yet are significantly narrower, to better cut through the snow.

grampi50 12-10-2018 08:32 AM

In the Midwest, snow doesn't come without salt. I wouldn't be afraid to drive one in the snow, but on salty roads, no way...

flyingmfrc 12-10-2018 09:45 AM

Jeffs82-- That first cut is the hardest... LOL I do still like the different seasons.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2ef2bb4525.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f805752b6f.jpg

Daddy o 12-10-2018 11:01 AM

Hay black tape do you know of any GOOD vette repair shops in our area? No dealers!

SG Lou 12-10-2018 11:33 AM

Once brine or salt gets put down mine stays parked in the driveway until Spring rains wash away the salt.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e0ad13a247.jpg

jd911 12-10-2018 11:43 AM

I never drive mine in the snow, though I do have the Run Flat All season Michelins on it. I live far enough south in Iowa that it melts several times a winter.

Since we're posting John Deere snowblower pictures, I'll add mine.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fc342e501c.jpg

flyingmfrc 12-10-2018 12:11 PM

We're "somewhat" lucky here in Flagstaff. We are in the middle of Volcanoes, so they use cinders on our local roads instead of salt. When the roads are dry, it doesn't get all in everything, but the cinders can chip the paint. On the more used roads the cinders get blown off the side so it's not a problem. Even with three feet of snow, it's dry and sunny in between, so the roads are clear and dry most of the time. Gotta watch out for these guys though....
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...78dbc5e443.jpg

jd911 12-10-2018 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by flyingmfrc (Post 1598475770)
We're "somewhat" lucky here in Flagstaff. We are in the middle of Volcanoes, so they use cinders on our local roads instead of salt. When the roads are dry, it doesn't get all in everything, but the cinders can chip the paint. On the more used roads the cinders get blown off the side so it's not a problem. Even with three feet of snow, it's dry and sunny in between, so the roads are clear and dry most of the time. Gotta watch out for these guys though....
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...78dbc5e443.jpg

We drove Route 66 down to Flagstaff and the grand canyon from Iowa, back in 2007 or so. Really enjoyed the drive from Flagstaff down into and through the canyon to Sedona, in a Miata at the time. The caution, look out for elk signs were a bit un-nerving in a two seater. We'll have to try it in the Vette, soon.

Jim

leadfoot4 12-10-2018 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by SG Lou (Post 1598475505)
Once brine or salt gets put down mine stays parked in the driveway until Spring rains wash away the salt.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e0ad13a247.jpg

Too bad that you don't have a garage, although it's still better than driving through the road salt!

BTW, are you located anywhere near Ebberly Place? I used to have some relatives there, years ago.

flyingmfrc 12-10-2018 01:48 PM

Hey Jim- if you come through Flagstaff and see a red FRC, honk. There's another road sign you don't see often on the East Rim Drive at the Grand canyon.... watch out for Mountain Lions....:leaving:

Evil-Twin 12-10-2018 01:49 PM

My car is always ready to go. However, its a very rare winter day when it sees the sun. I often use the term " Park smart" and in the winter I also " Drive smart " with consideration for road conditions and weather. If the roads are dry ,clean and the sun is shining, an 8*F temp will draw me out for a drive.

SG Lou 12-10-2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 1598476328)
Too bad that you don't have a garage, although it's still better than driving through the road salt!

BTW, are you located anywhere near Ebberly Place? I used to have some relatives there, years ago.

. Yeah not having a garage sucks but I refuse to put a car cover on it. As far as I'm concerned they do more harm than good. Yes I know where Eberly Pl. is, just a few blocks from me.

Wade Wilbur 12-10-2018 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by SG Lou (Post 1598476460)
. Yeah not having a garage sucks but I refuse to put a car cover on it. As far as I'm concerned they do more harm than good. Yes I know where Eberly Pl. is, just a few blocks from me.

I was looking at a cover myself until someone pointed out that unless the car is perfectly clean, the cover can move the dirt over the paint job and scratch it. I have a Nissan pathfinder that's spent 12 years out in the weather and still looks great. I'm not so worried about my Vette. However, to the OP's question, I wouldn't drive it in the snow or on freshly treated roads.

UM Rebel 12-10-2018 03:07 PM

If I stored mine I would have to call Uber. :cool:

ArmchairArchitect 12-10-2018 03:11 PM

I don't drive it in the winter for multiple reasons:

- Handling is terrible with cold tires, can't take aggressive turns
- Salt on the roads
- Can't put the windows down

The Range Rover is much better suited for this time of the year :)

BLUE1972 12-10-2018 03:20 PM

I drive the Vette - If it rains enough to wash the salt off the roads and then dry's out.

We are generally lucky here - the snow only lasts for a few days then melts.

SG Lou 12-10-2018 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wade Wilbur (Post 1598476871)
I was looking at a cover myself until someone pointed out that unless the car is perfectly clean, the cover can move the dirt over the paint job and scratch it. I have a Nissan pathfinder that's spent 12 years out in the weather and still looks great..

EXACTLY why I don't cover mine.

Jeffmete 12-10-2018 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4 (Post 1598474168)
One thing that I'll mention, that generally isn't discussed in these "do you drive your Corvette in the winter" threads, is the topic of tires. Beginning in 1984, Corvettes have been equipped with wider and wider, low profile tires, and they don't work well in snow. I don't mean from the temperature/rubber compound aspect, but the ability of a wide tire to cope with snow. My 50 years of winter driving experience has taught me that in order to effectively deal with snow, a narrower tire works much better at punching through the snow. There are just not any alternative sizes that fit a Corvette, that will maintain an OD that will make the operating systems happy, yet are significantly narrower, to better cut through the snow.

exactly. Living in Michigan, I had skinny snow tires for my 69 and drove it everyday. Problem was headlights and the wiper door freezing and not working, but it was driveable if the snow not too deep. (But then the frame rotted through). I got caught out once in my c4 and it was scary with the wide tires. I was the guy holding up traffic on I94 going 15 mph when every grandma was going 50. my c5 sleeps all winter.

leadfoot4 12-10-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SG Lou (Post 1598476460)
I refuse to put a car cover on it. As far as I'm concerned they do more harm than good.

I ran into a "situation" back in 2005, and I had to have my 'Vette in my backyard, while I was both having an addition put on my garage, as well as having my house re-roofed. I had the car covered, to protect it from potential damage from debris, but the wind flapping the cover, "chaffed" the paint a little, at the corners of the car.

449er 12-10-2018 05:43 PM

Mine gets stored from late November till March, I can't stomach a salt encrusted Corvette

Daddy o 12-10-2018 05:47 PM

I cringe when I see a beautiful car with a bra on the front. Guaranteed the paint will be trashed. My son put one on his Z28 to keep the bugs from messing up his front end and didn't listen to me. When he took it off to clean it, the paint was ruined. Didn't take long either. His answer was, "I guess you were right". Father knows best.

Daddy o 12-10-2018 05:50 PM

Aluminum and salt do not mix. Chemical reaction is worse and faster than steel

6speedsteve 12-10-2018 06:28 PM

As much as I hate winter, the only advantage is I have a heated garage & do all my upgrades/service over the winter months, so my car can be torn apart for weeks/months & I don't care, once the nice weather hits I make sure I am ready to go.

acuevo 12-10-2018 06:38 PM

If its over 50 degrees and dry/salt free, I'll drive it. I recently found out just how little grip is there on summer tires if its too cold out.

wdcraig 12-11-2018 06:12 PM

I drive my Corvette when I feel like it. Even during the winter (but I will avoid the really bad winter days and drive our '04 Corolla winter "beater"). I am running all season tires more for cold temperatures than the snow (but they do just fine in the snow). I also use a car cover (and the cover only goes on a clean car with a coat of wax). The Corvette sits outside in our driveway.

Today I went to a Corvette dealer to have some exhaust work done on my car (the dealership sells nothing but classics) and I saw a 2003 Anniversary C5, 6M convertible with 6,000 miles on it for sale for $28,990. How sad, I thought. I've put 10,000 miles on my '01 6M convertible in less than 12 months of ownership. Had I bought that '03 a year ago with 6,000 miles on it instead of my '01 with 96,000 miles on it a year ago, I would not have driven (and enjoyed) the '03 half as much. I'm not saving my Corvette for anyone.

Next year my wife and I plan on driving the Corvette from the Chicago suburbs out to California, down the coastal highway (San Francisco to San Diego) and back. Earlier this year we drove to the NCM and back in a snowstorm (snowed 5" in Indianapolis on our way home). This Corvette is one hell of a fine car...and it is a car, a car that has given us an immense amount of joy (and year round).

Food for thought.

wdcraig 12-11-2018 06:20 PM

PS, here's a photo of my car I took today right before I put the cover on it (in case anyone should think I am abusing it).
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...edaaf96257.jpg

wrmiles 12-11-2018 07:04 PM

Don't drive it much in the winter but try to get it out every couple of weeks to warm everything up and charge the battery. Don't use a cover and our single car garage is too full of other stuff.
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...92&oe=5C968A0A

Daddy o 12-13-2018 03:30 PM

Winter for mine

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9ec6ea8e45.jpg
The extension cord is for the battery tender. Get's unplugged in April
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...def2d216af.jpg
Has lots of company in winter. God I hate winter! Would move south but wife says no way.

rrwirsi 12-13-2018 04:12 PM

I stared this Thread to get opinions on driving vs. storing in the snow areas. Mission accomplished. I just got back from a 25 mile ride today. Sunny and 48 degrees. Charged the car battery, got some road love, and best of all, charged my battery by putting smiles on my face. I hated to turn the key to off. As several comments have opined, I am not saving my Vette for the next owner. At 75, this is my pleasure (along with my stipend of beer each day, :cheers:) that I am not going to stop driving for 5/6 months. Happy motoring/storage everyone. :flag:

ttiros 12-13-2018 07:01 PM

Here in southern Virginia where we just got 14 inches, if the roads are clean I will drive it about 36 miles one day out of the week.

Wade Wilbur 12-14-2018 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by rrwirsi (Post 1598495720)
I stared this Thread to get opinions on driving vs. storing in the snow areas. Mission accomplished. I just got back from a 25 mile ride today. Sunny and 48 degrees. Charged the car battery, got some road love, and best of all, charged my battery by putting smiles on my face. I hated to turn the key to off. As several comments have opined, I am not saving my Vette for the next owner. At 75, this is my pleasure (along with my stipend of beer each day, :cheers:) that I am not going to stop driving for 5/6 months. Happy motoring/storage everyone. :flag:

I'm with you. I bought it to drive, not to look at. I had a buddy that had a Vette in the 70's (I forget what year it was, but not rare or collectable at the time), he had a custom paint job done on it and at first he would only drive it on nice warm sunny days, then he always seemed to have an excuse why he wouldn't take it out and finally he realized he hadn't driven it in over a year because he was so afraid something would happen to that nice paint job. He wound up selling it. I don't want to be that guy. :-)

J. Kent 12-14-2018 03:59 PM

I put it in a storage unit because I don't have a garage but on sunny days when there's no salt on the road I take it out and drive it. Top down, heat cranked up!