CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Will your C7 last a month without a trickle charger? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4220464-will-your-c7-last-a-month-without-a-trickle-charger.html)

davepl 12-09-2018 11:01 AM

Will your C7 last a month without a trickle charger?

Mine won't. Just curious what others experience when not driving theirs. Only accessory I have is a V1 which is off when the car is off.

In the olden' days you could use "less" power when dormant buy putting the stick cars in reverse, or so some people claimed, don't know if its true. But if there's any way to reduce demand when parked, please let me know!

Kevin A Jones 12-09-2018 11:05 AM

Greatly depends on the condition/age of your battery. C7s drawn slightly on battery when off regardless of accessories.

davepl 12-09-2018 11:14 AM

That's a given, so it doesn't tell me much. Assume a good battery, what's the duration? Then I can adjust down from there for battery life. Should I expect 3 weeks or 3 months on a decent battery?

Marcho Polo 12-09-2018 11:21 AM

Paul Koerner has said many times that 30 days is it for any C7. Any longer than that and you better have a charger on it.

davepl 12-09-2018 11:33 AM

Thanks! That's a baseline I can work from...

Kevin A Jones 12-09-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 (Post 1598469812)
That's a given, so it doesn't tell me much. Assume a good battery, what's the duration? Then I can adjust down from there for battery life. Should I expect 3 weeks or 3 months on a decent battery?

Well you ask what other's experience, other's experience will greatly depend on age and condition of their batteries. Also it depends on state of charge when last drove your C7. For example, if you dove a considerable distance without stop and start
your state of charge is going to be higher than if you ran errands stopping and re-starting over and over.

30 days is a good rule of thumb, however individual results will be greatly influenced by the factors I mention above.

PatternDayTrader 12-09-2018 11:43 AM

Anyone know the actual parasitic draw spec ?

Grand Slam 12-09-2018 11:47 AM

The 9 mo. old battery in my daily driver started my car easily after I returned from a 28 day vacation last year (cross country tour riding in friend's C7). In the future I'll buy a battery charger if I go on another long trip like that.

KenHorse 12-09-2018 12:45 PM

I routinely went 2 weeks with my '14 Z51.

Haven't had my '19 GS long enough yet to know for sure but it has gone 1 week in the garage with no issues

Duck Hunter 12-09-2018 12:47 PM

I was out of town for 4 weeks this fall, my 2015 started no problem with the original battery. Cranked strongly and fired right up!

Zora.Info 12-09-2018 02:01 PM

Why would you want to see how long you can go with it being parked without a battery tender? These things are made to be driven. They're going to depreciate whether you drive them or let them sit in the garage, so you might as well have fun and drive them. Never can understand the people that buy these cars, let them sit in the garage and then brag how they have such few miles and that they never drive them.

Steve_R 12-09-2018 02:10 PM

My ‘14 is my daily driver. It’s nearly 5 years old. It still has the original battery. It will easily go a month without a tender.

Phanni 12-09-2018 02:25 PM

My 14 would only last about 2 weeks, then I bought a new battery and I've gone over a month.

4thC4at60 12-09-2018 02:33 PM

I have no idea since mine (2015) is a DD.... 79,000 miles - original battery. I do know that I can park it at the airport for 14 days, come back, and it start instantly....:party:

davepl 12-09-2018 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Zora.Info (Post 1598470778)
Why would you want to see how long you can go with it being parked without a battery tender? These things are made to be driven. They're going to depreciate whether you drive them or let them sit in the garage, so you might as well have fun and drive them. Never can understand the people that buy these cars, let them sit in the garage and then brag how they have such few miles and that they never drive them.

I have ten cars in my garage, and the Z06 convertible is pretty low on the list of "things to drive today" on a rainy December in Seattle. It's my DD in June, not so much in the winter.

Never can understand the people that run up a ton of depreciating mileage by driving their convertible sports cars in rainy weather ;-)

[Edit: These are not all expensive cars or anything! I'm sure there's many dudes on this forum who have one car that is worth more than all ten of mine, but they're mine!]

Kevin A Jones 12-09-2018 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zora.Info (Post 1598470778)

First of all, GM makes these things to be sold at a profit, regardless of how much or how little they're driven.
Second, why do you 'drive mine everyday types' feel you need to understand why other's don't? Why do you care so much? Personally, I couldn't care less how much someone else drives "their" Corvette.
Third, the vast majority of bragging I hear is by those bragging how much they drive their C7s, not by those bragging how little.

SMT1004 12-09-2018 03:35 PM

After 2-3 weeks, especially in cold weather, it barely started. Car is two years old. Started to use my trickle charger anytime it’s now parked for more than a week.

R8Z51 12-09-2018 03:55 PM

Parked mine for a month and a half outside my house in freezing temperatures and it started right up. Car was a '14.

orca1946 12-09-2018 06:12 PM

A month seems like the point to which you should be worried. Why not put a tender on the Christmas list for peace of mind and longevity of the battery.

Que Rich 12-09-2018 06:12 PM

Do y’all close the trunk or leave it cracked?