CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Grand Sport traded for Z06 - (Ride quality difference) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4220555-grand-sport-traded-for-z06-ride-quality-difference.html)

DZ06252 12-09-2018 03:34 PM

Grand Sport traded for Z06 - (Ride quality difference)

In Feb I bought a new 2017 Grand Sport 2LZ, my first Corvette and simply love the car. Fast Forward to this week I traded it for a Used 2017 Z06 3LZ with Z07 package, couldn't resist the deal.. Z06 car has 780 Miles on it, the Grand Sport I traded had 7,000.

What I have noticed in the little time I have drove this Z06 , which is about 2 hours, is that
1. it doesn't seem to ride as soft.
2. The road noise inside the car seems louder.
3. A couple times just driving on a straight road the front left tire seemed to jerk the car left. - (Normal Throttle Cruising Tour Mode) Maybe the tires following the road?
4. The exhaust note is a little different and loder. - (This I like)

My Grandsport had Pilot Super Sport ZP tires and the Z06 has Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP, I wanted to know if this is normal behavior for a Z06? I am planning on installing a DSC Sport when the weather warms up as I have read that these to wonders for the suspension.

Thanks.

user0405240328 12-09-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by DZ06252 (Post 1598471265)

The Z07 package has a firmer suspension.

Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP vs Pilot Super Sport ZP

3. A couple times just driving on a straight road the front left tire seemed to jerk the car left. - (Normal Throttle Cruising Tour Mode) Maybe the tires following the road?

What steering mode do you have it in? I do not experience this when in Tour mode, but do somewhat in Sport mode, and much more in Track mode.

:D

Bill Dearborn 12-09-2018 04:07 PM

The sudden pull to the left could be an issue with the front or rear toe adjustments. If there is some toe out the tires will tend to track pavement seams and ruts. The car will also tend to snap into a lane more as you drive across the road crown.

Bill

DZ06252 12-09-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by user0405240328 (Post 1598471354)
The Z07 package has a firmer suspension.

Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP vs Pilot Super Sport ZP

What steering mode do you have it in? I do not experience this when in Tour mode, but do somewhat in Sport mode, and much more in Track mode.

:D

I'm almost certain the Mode was Tour.
Thanks for your response..

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598471420)
The sudden pull to the left could be an issue with the front or rear toe adjustments. If there is some toe out the tires will tend to track pavement seams and ruts. The car will also tend to snap into a lane more as you drive across the road crown.

Bill

Thanks, I was hoping this was an issue with alignment and or tires that could be resolved.
I knew the car was different in many aspects but didn't realize it was like driving a whole different car. I have a best friend of mine that bought a 2015 Z06 a month after I bought my GS and he complained about the ride quality and I was always praising mine. :)

CliffB-99 12-09-2018 06:57 PM

You could get the Mag Ride programming update from GM that they developed when they were programming the ZR1. It's $350 if I remember correctly. Smooths out the ride somewhat. I noticed a difference when I had it done to my '16 Z06, but mine is not a Z07.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ibrations.html

Ruderegime 12-09-2018 07:31 PM

Like the other posts have stated you need the mag ride update need to ditch the cup 2's for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and get a alignment by someone who knows what they're doing

lordofwar 12-09-2018 08:55 PM

In Feb I bought a new 2017 Grand Sport 2LZ, my first Corvette and simply love the car. Fast Forward to this week I traded it for a Used 2017 Z06 3LZ with Z07 package, couldn't resist the deal.. Z06 car has 780 Miles on it, the Grand Sport I traded had 7,000.

What I have noticed in the little time I have drove this Z06 , which is about 2 hours, is that

My Grandsport had Pilot Super Sport ZP tires and the Z06 has Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP, I wanted to know if this is normal behavior for a Z06? I am planning on installing a DSC Sport when the weather warms up as I have read that these to wonders for the suspension.

Thanks.

only 2 hours behind the wheel and you made all those assements?LOLdrive the car for about a week and then make those compairissions.that will give you alittle more time to compare.

DZ06252 12-09-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by lordofwar (Post 1598473001)
only 2 hours behind the wheel and you made all those assements?LOLdrive the car for about a week and then make those compairissions.that will give you alittle more time to compare.

You are correct, I probably need more seat time in the Z06 to make a good comparison but in the same sense when your use to a certain ride you can tell somethings different. Thanks.

DZ06252 12-09-2018 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ruderegime (Post 1598472481)
Like the other posts have stated you need the mag ride update need to ditch the cup 2's for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and get a alignment by someone who knows what they're doing

I agree the tires must go and I was thinking of the Pilot Super Sports or the Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

Thanks

intensifi 12-09-2018 09:39 PM

Your experience is similar to mine when I switch between the ‘16 Z06 (non Z07) and the ‘19 ZR1 (Z07++ suspension).

It’s the suspension upgrade and the CUP2s.

If you would like to drive the car in all weather conditions, I would strongly suggest you switch to the new Michelin AS3+ tires that recently became available for our cars. Maybe buy a second set of wheels and keep the two tire types handy??? The AS3+ tires have many benefits including noise reduction.

Noise abatement material was installed under the carpets in the Z06. It makes a big difference in road noise. The ‘19 ZR1 did not need the noise abatement material. I am guessing GM added it somewhere along the line.

djnice 12-09-2018 09:52 PM

It has nothing to do with the Z06. It is the Z07 package.

Eat.Sleep.Race 12-10-2018 12:05 AM

I had a 17 z06 non z07, now a 2017 z07 pkg. I hate the cup 2 tires!!! get rid of them...

Oneslackr 12-10-2018 12:13 AM

Thanks.

You may or may not have seen this.

C7 Corvette Z06 w/Z07 performance pkg. Differences between the Z06 & Z07: The following information comes directly from the Chief Suspension Engineer at Corvette.

The suspension on Z07 equipped Z06s is stiffer than non-Z07 equipped Z06s. The springs, shocks, Magnetic Selective Ride Control calibration and stabilizer bar bushings are different between the two.
  • The front spring has a 62% higher rate on the Z07 than the standard Z06.
  • The rear spring has a 22% higher rate on the Z07 than the standard Z06.
  • The Magnetic Selective Ride Control shocks on the Z07 have a tighter gap which means a higher “passive” curve in addition to a more aggressive MRSC damping tuning.
  • The different stabilizer bar bushings help the Z07 achieve an appropriate understeer level.

Oneslackr 12-10-2018 01:04 AM

I have a '18 Z06 w/Z07. I switched out the Cup 2s a bit over 1 month ago for the A/S 3+. The main reason I made the switch was that I just wanted a versatile year around tire that didn't have compromises (i.e. cold and/or rain). The ride with the A/S 3+ is still stiff though the tires are more quiet than the Cup 2s. I'm okay with that since I wasn't expecting much difference in ride feel (it's a Z07 after all). You'll definitely be happier with the SS (which you're familiar with) or the A/S 3+ if you're looking for a great year around tire. I don't think I've read one negative review about the A/S 3+ since they came out in October in the GS/Z06/ZR1 sizes.

Z06Norway 12-10-2018 01:10 PM

Thanks.

Car behaves very different with MPSS and Cup2 tires ... cup2 makes it nervous and tracking road imperfection and more noise

DZ06252 12-10-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by intensifi (Post 1598473215)
Your experience is similar to mine when I switch between the ‘16 Z06 (non Z07) and the ‘19 ZR1 (Z07++ suspension).

It’s the suspension upgrade and the CUP2s.

If you would like to drive the car in all weather conditions, I would strongly suggest you switch to the new Michelin AS3+ tires that recently became available for our cars. Maybe buy a second set of wheels and keep the two tire types handy??? The AS3+ tires have many benefits including noise reduction.

Noise abatement material was installed under the carpets in the Z06. It makes a big difference in road noise. The ‘19 ZR1 did not need the noise abatement material. I am guessing GM added it somewhere along the line.

Congrats on that ZR1, what an awesome car.
I'm not looking to drive the car in extreme winter conditions but I would like to take it out if it was say sunny and 30 degrees outside. I don't even mind driving in the rain thats why I was looking at the AS3.
Would you share the type of noise abatement material? Would it be similar to Dynamat? I was thinking about this very thing.

Originally Posted by djnice (Post 1598473277)
It has nothing to do with the Z06. It is the Z07 package.

Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race (Post 1598473759)
I had a 17 z06 non z07, now a 2017 z07 pkg. I hate the cup 2 tires!!! get rid of them...

I absolutely plan on it. :)

Thanks

DZ06252 12-10-2018 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oneslackr (Post 1598473773)
You may or may not have seen this.

C7 Corvette Z06 w/Z07 performance pkg. Differences between the Z06 & Z07: The following information comes directly from the Chief Suspension Engineer at Corvette.

The suspension on Z07 equipped Z06s is stiffer than non-Z07 equipped Z06s. The springs, shocks, Magnetic Selective Ride Control calibration and stabilizer bar bushings are different between the two.
  • The front spring has a 62% higher rate on the Z07 than the standard Z06.
  • The rear spring has a 22% higher rate on the Z07 than the standard Z06.
  • The Magnetic Selective Ride Control shocks on the Z07 have a tighter gap which means a higher “passive” curve in addition to a more aggressive MRSC damping tuning.
  • The different stabilizer bar bushings help the Z07 achieve an appropriate understeer level.

I have not see this and it explains a lot. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Oneslackr (Post 1598473854)
I have a '18 Z06 w/Z07. I switched out the Cup 2s a bit over 1 month ago for the A/S 3+. The main reason I made the switch was that I just wanted a versatile year around tire that didn't have compromises (i.e. cold and/or rain). The ride with the A/S 3+ is still stiff though the tires are more quiet than the Cup 2s. I'm okay with that since I wasn't expecting much difference in ride feel (it's a Z07 after all). You'll definitely be happier with the SS (which you're familiar with) or the A/S 3+ if you're looking for a great year around tire. I don't think I've read one negative review about the A/S 3+ since they came out in October in the GS/Z06/ZR1 sizes.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I am going with the AS3.. Do they still hop across the driveway like the he stock tires? I understand that the AS3 are still a run flat and didn't know if this was a characteristic of the run flat or not.

I'm just totally happy that now I know that these issues are not specific to my car. I was thinking I may have traded for the wrong car. Now I know she just needs a little TLC..

IRMB 12-11-2018 12:41 PM

Tramlining. you might be able to remedy it with an alignment - which you should get an alignment anyways - since corvettes are known to have shitty alignment from the factory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlining

Amirns 12-11-2018 12:47 PM

Go for the continental extreme contact sports, absolutely amazing tires especially when paired with the DSC controller. Im not sure how they handle in snow but they are really good here in Cali also great in rain

BMW550XI 12-11-2018 12:57 PM

I had a 2015 base Stingray couple and upgraded to a 2019 Z06 (not Z07). The Z06 in touring mode rides smoother. The handling is no comparison; tires on each were the same super sports.

The noise inside is less (probably due to the 2019 being a convertible) and the exhaust is definitely louder on the Z06. Just miss the backfire from the Stringray on full throttle upshifts which is hard to get on the Z06 under normal driving due to the huge amount of power not letting me floor it as much as I want (especially until late Spring).