CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Dear Mary Barra.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4220730-dear-mary-barra.html)

ConcernedCitizen 12-10-2018 10:00 AM

Dear Mary Barra....

Dear Mary,

If you name the C8 “Manta Ray” and make it DCT only, with a base price over $100k, you will kill the Corvette forever. That is all.

Thank You,
ConcernedCitizen

ArmchairArchitect 12-10-2018 10:08 AM

Agree fully on the stupid Manta Ray name (it's a large and slow sea creature). "Zora" is just such an epic sounding (and heritage) name, it would be a huge oversight for GM not to name the C8 "Zora".

3/4 agree on base price, but only half-agree on DCT only.

vndkshn 12-10-2018 10:12 AM

Name would be very poor, that's for sure.
Price... I can't see them building a quality product with all of this technology at everyone's dream price of 60-65k... So 100k would not surprise me. The only way I think it "kills the Corvette forever" is if the ME car is the ONLY Corvette model, which I don't believe to be the case.
DCT... as much as I love rowing the gears, DCT is faster and that likely is their number 1 priority. Likely also to have fewer warranty claims by people with manual cars but no idea how to drive them.

warhawkmcdaniel 12-10-2018 10:32 AM

High flying Manta Rays.

TFen 12-10-2018 10:58 AM

It had a good run

TRT SR 12-10-2018 11:14 AM

What happened to Zora for the name, did I miss something??

elegant 12-10-2018 11:21 AM

Mary Barra, not to worry about your being fired for two keys reasons.

One, you are doing one whale of a job.

Two, we know that the car will be incredibly low priced, have a great name.

Three, it will be DCT only and even most of us 22%’rs will suck it up because the car’s phenomenal looks, handling, surprise upside components and more, and with the very large number of brand conquest, sales will be fantastic.

Meanwhile, again, thank you for being the only GM Chariman/CEO to have the courage and the conviction to turn the GM battleship around, so it is thriving decades from now.

Being in charge often has really ugly things one must do, even things that are really painful. Thanks for taking GM in ways that are necessary for the long run.

JerryC5 12-10-2018 11:22 AM

Dear Concerned Citizen:

You are correct, Manta Ray sucks as a name.

Don't worry about the price, this is a Corvette, our market has not changed, we will let you know about pricing after we reveal the car

Yours truly,
Mary Berra

RandomTask 12-10-2018 11:23 AM

Mary Barra,

Since you're browsing a random internet car forum, can I have a new ME corvette for free?

Thx.

AORoads 12-10-2018 11:36 AM

A) A lot of this is correct IMO, Ms. Barra.

Originally Posted by elegant (Post 1598475396)

Three, it will be DCT only and even most of us 22%’rs will suck it up because the car’s phenomenal looks, handling, surprise upside components and more, and with the very large number of brand conquest, sales will be fantastic.

Meanwhile, again, thank you for being the only GM Chariman/CEO to have the courage and the conviction to turn the GM battleship around, so it is thriving decades from now.

Being in charge often has really ugly things one must do, even things that are really painful. Thanks for taking GM in ways that are necessary for the long run.

B) Was that on purpose, the spelling of her name?

Originally Posted by JerryC5 (Post 1598475402)
Dear Concerned Citizen:

You are correct, Manta Ray sucks as a name.

Don't worry about the price, this is a Corvette, our market has not changed, we will let you know about pricing after we reveal the car

Yours truly,
Mary Berra

OVR60 12-10-2018 11:53 AM

It would be interesting to know what the new CFO has about GM's future and which cars are worth keeping in order to keep stock holders happy. It appears the european car industry is looking more into the future and here we are looking at how much the rumored ME is going to cost.

OnPoint 12-10-2018 11:59 AM

Mary,

We do have some great news to report. One of our members has increased BGA's production capacity to 74k units/yr. Shazaam !!!

ojm 12-10-2018 12:07 PM

Mary ignore my letter, I bought a Mustang GT.

supermetroid 12-10-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1598475698)
Mary,

We do have some great news to report. One of our members has increased BGA's production capacity to 74k units/yr. Shazaam !!!

:rofl::lurk:

Foosh 12-10-2018 12:08 PM

Elegant,

I generally agree with almost everything you say, and this post is no exception. However, I'm not sure I'm going to be willing to "suck it up" right away if it's DCT only, which will almost certainly be the case initially. I tried very hard to love both the PDK in a 911 and the outstanding ZF8 in my Jaguar F-Type, which I perceived to be equally great. Both produced equally fast and smooth up- and down-shifts, but I just couldn't love them nearly as much as a traditional manual. There's something about the 3rd pedal and the gearshift action I just get off on. That's ultimately what brought me back to Corvette and my 14 and 18 C7s, both M7s.

Thus, I will sadly be waiting to see if GM reconsiders and adds a manual option later. On the other hand, I may not be totally deprived of the new ME because my wife is very interested, and as a sports car enthusiast like myself, she loves the C8 renders, and the timing should be just right when she's ready for her next car.

jimmyb 12-10-2018 12:15 PM

I am also one of the "22 percenters" but....
There was no way I was buying a Corvette with a TC automatic. Had a DCT been offered, I would have had to think long and hard about it and I bet I'm not the only one who feels that way. I bet the 22% would have been more like 10-15% if the C7 had offered a DCT rather than a TC auto.

jimmyb 12-10-2018 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1598475698)
Mary,

Actually, he increased it to 74,000 based on some company no one's ever heard of, and then to make sure we understood, he posted the SAME thing 28 (conservatively) more times.

Foosh 12-10-2018 12:41 PM

It's not even a real "company." It's a tiny consulting firm that looks into a crystal ball and makes forecasts, just like many folks here. The accuracy of any forecaster on any subject is not great.

In this case, they have apparently developed a model of theoretical plant capacity based upon their assumptions. You'd have to look at their methodology and what those assumptions were to make a definitive judgement, but of course, we have no idea. As far as anyone can tell, GM has not invited them in and if not, they would have no ability to accurately assess actual capacity. There's also good chance they don't even have the real world expertise to do so.

Sin City 12-10-2018 12:43 PM

Mary Barra to OP

"What's a Corvette?"

tcinla 12-10-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen (Post 1598474846)
Dear Mary,

If you name the C8 “Manta Ray” and make it DCT only, with a base price over $100k, you will kill the Corvette forever. That is all.

Thank You,
ConcernedCitizen

Agreed : on both "Manta Ray" and >$100K comment
Disagree : On DCT-Only.actually "killing" the Covette