CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   clicking noise from behind the radio (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4220853-clicking-noise-from-behind-the-radio.html)

cgladish 12-10-2018 03:59 PM

clicking noise from behind the radio

I've an issue off and on for a year or so. seems more 'on' lately though ( 2009 base, 3LT, 6 spd ).
I have a clicking noise coming behind the center stack / radio.
sounds like a relay that is cycling. it cycle for a second or so, then be quiet, then cycle again.
it'll happen whether car is on or off.
everything seems to be working fine. I will occasionally get the 'no fob detected' prompt, more so in the last few days.
I'm the second owner & as far as I know, it's all stock.
any thoughts?

vetteJPJ 12-11-2018 11:52 PM

I've heard the same noise but only when turning off car. It stops in a few seconds. I have an 06 base with Kenwood headunit. It was present with original factory unit too. That would eliminate the headunit as a source. It doesn't bother me, but it is noticiable.

cgladish 12-12-2018 10:21 AM

since I was getting the 'no key fob" prompt, I changed the battery. that seemed to clear that issue.
I'm still getting the relay clicking noise. it doesn't appear to be affecting anything, but very noticeable.

z06clif 12-12-2018 10:26 AM

Could this noise have something to do with the Nav unit reading the Nav CD?

Clif

marinablu67 12-12-2018 10:34 AM

What you maybe hearing is a stuck stepper motor, that opens and closes the ventilation doors for the climate control system. I have an older Chevy Silverado PU with the same system, and one door is stuck, and the motor cycles itself off and on, which is the clicking noise.

cgladish 12-12-2018 10:49 AM

car does not have a nav system. car is all stock. as mentioned previously, everything is working correctly
(radio, HVAC, all other electronics ). it has the same sound as when you press the start button, and it can't find the fob.
even after the car starts, while running, or even after the car is off, it'll be clicking.
I guess I'll have to wait it out until some more happens.

dbritey 12-12-2018 07:13 PM

My 05 has done that since the day I brought her home from the dealer lot. Everything functions as it should. Never had an issue and have 54k miles now. I just think of it as one of her harmless quirks!

cgladish 12-13-2018 09:36 AM

i don't mind harmless quirks ( I.e. squeaky top, hot trans tunnel ), and this one I've lived with for several months now.
but if it's a relay, then at some point this constant cycling will shorten its life span. I guess that's when i'll find out what was causing the noise.
until then, motor on!

BackInBlack05 12-15-2018 02:42 AM

I had my fob sensor thing replaced. The new one clicks when it challenges the fob. I never noticed it prior.

449er 12-15-2018 08:57 AM

With an automatic car, you will hear the relays clicking when you put your foot on the brake to start the car, but beyond that, I don't know

bonnell 12-15-2018 09:07 AM

I travel from Tennessee to Florida a few times per year. After I’ve been on the road for a while I hear this noise - like a relay cycling - when I let off of the gas on the highway.

cgladish 12-17-2018 10:01 AM

further up date, the relay has started to cycle in time with the wipers. if I hit the brakes, the cycling stops. let off of the brakes and it starts cycling again.
prior to recent activity, you could heard the brake relay click once when apply the brakes, then again when you let off.
(I've heard this relay and feel that is the one coming from passenger foot well.)
this current issue still seems to be coming from behind the center stack.
sometimes now, the relay will cycle even if the car is off.
still, nothing seems to be effected and everything is running fine.

PCMusicGuy 12-17-2018 10:13 AM

I've heard something coming from behind/under the dash for a long time but it suddenly stopped one day. It sounded kinda like a relay where it would go tik-a-tik-a-tik-a-tik-a and then stop. This was only heard a few minutes after starting up the car. I haven't heard it in a while but everything is still working @ 140k+ miles.

LMB-Z 12-17-2018 10:27 AM

Remove the console and track down the "cliking" noise. Unplug the stereo if needed. Martians may be tracking your every move. I would want to know rather than wait for something to happen. Takes about 10 minutes or less to remove the console.

cgladish 12-17-2018 10:33 AM

thx! I've been thinking about doing just that ( center stack removal ).just don't want to get to far down the rabbit hole.
I live in condo & don't have freedom previously afforded from my last residence.

719c6 03-26-2019 02:42 PM

I've recently noticed the same relay cycling. It does appear like it is coming from behind the radio. It is the same relay cycling as when you hit the start button for off/AC but it is random when driving.

cgladish 03-26-2019 03:19 PM

I'm still having the relay cycling 'issue'. as far as I can tell, their are no repercussions from this.
I get the clicking while driving or even when the car is off. definitely coming from behind the center stack / radio area.
nothing seems to be effected by this. I'm going to ride it out unless something else pops up.

719c6 03-26-2019 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by cgladish (Post 1599113638)
I'm still having the relay cycling 'issue'. as far as I can tell, their are no repercussions from this.
I get the clicking while driving or even when the car is off. definitely coming from behind the center stack / radio area.
nothing seems to be effected by this. I'm going to ride it out unless something else pops up.

I just noticed it lately so I really don't know why it would be doing it. This might be something for @Dano523 ...?

dkpnkc 03-26-2019 04:14 PM

Like stated above, console takes about 10 minutes to remove. I did it in the garage but all of it from the drivers seat - and the parts fit in the back or passenger seat. Hardest part was being careful not to scratch anything.

7mm socket & a small torx for the console lid.

Mines all apart waiting for my new aftermarket radio - swapping out the previous one to get wireless apple carplay.

cgladish 03-26-2019 04:18 PM

so are you saying the clicking / relay sound was the radio?