CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4221509-gm-authority-c8-delayed-6-months-over-electrical-issue.html)

Zora.Info 12-15-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran (Post 1598508603)
Sounds like a lot of forum members could use some cheese right about now... :cheers: :lol:

I don't like cheese, but I could go for a nice cold... oh wait I mean C8 reveal.

jagamajajaran 12-15-2018 10:50 PM

:lol: I had to use the beer mugs since I couldn't find the whine glasses. ;)

NY09C6 12-15-2018 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle (Post 1598507931)
What if the Corvette C8 is an hybrid like the Acura NSX. Electrical issue would be a big issue

not for me. I would not buy it. But you have a valid point.

JerryU 12-16-2018 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by rmorin1249 (Post 1598508229)
I'm starting to think one version of the C8 might be a hybrid; TTV6 plus an electric motor or two. Am I crazy?

Originally Posted by Sub Driver (Post 1598508264)
Its already been widely speculated that the top-tier version will be the 5.5L TT V8 w/ electric motors.

More likely, IMO, it will have an F1 KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) type approach than a Hybrid. In F1, KERS and a 1.6 Liter turbo engine have caused over a 50% reduction in fuel required for a race. They are besting old track records on some of the old tracks for the same distance race. The current KERS provides 160 extra hp for a short time and regenerates it's own energy when braking. F1 can no longer refuel during the race! It reportedly weights around 60/70 lbs of which ~30 lbs is a battery. To be reliable in a production car it would have to weight more but the battery weight is much less than required for a Prius type hybrid.

HOW IT WILL BE USED IN C8
My thought is some type of KERS, in combination with Start/Stop for normal driving, could accelerate the Vette from a stop or slow speed to cruising speed with the engine off. Only then would the gasoline engine turn on. If you want to see where a great deal of energy is expended on accelerating just put your C7 display in instant mpg and watch as you take off. Newton's 1st law of motion! As used in F1 it would also supply ~160 hp for a short time when driving in anger! Fun for 0 to 60 runs.

Currently only 15 to 17% of the energy in a gallon of gas gets to the rear wheels to propel the car. On average a 1/3 of that ultimately goes into wasted heat when braking! Reusing some of that braking energy is important to improve the overall energy efficiency. On average ~17% of that gallon of gas is wasted idling, so Start/Stop is important to avoid wasting some of that energy!

PS: We can achieve those benefits with proven technology (F1 has used KERS since ~2012) well before we can reduce the ~85% of the electricity in the country (government 2017 data) being generated by hydrocarbon based fuels!

Zora.Info 12-16-2018 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1598508959)
More likely, IMO, it will have an F1 KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) type approach than a Hybrid. In F1, KERS and a 1.6 Liter turbo engine have caused over a 50% reduction in fuel required for a race. They are besting old track records on some of the old tracks for the same distance race. The current KERS provides 160 extra hp for a short time and regenerates it's own power when braking. They can no longer refuel during the race! It reportedly weights around 60/70 lbs of which ~30 lbs is a battery. To be reliable in a production car it would have to weight more but the battery weight is much less than required for a Prius type hybrid.

My thought is it, in combination with Start/Stop for normal normal driving, could accelerate the Vette from a stop or slow speed to cruising speed, then the gasoline engine would turn on. If you want to see where a great deal of energy is expended on accelerating just put your mpg display in instant and watch as you take off. Newton's 1st law of motion! As used in F1 it would also supply 160 hp for a short time when driving in anger! Fun for 0 to 60 runs.

Currently only 15 to 17% of the energy in a gallon of gas gets to propel the car. On average a 1/3 of that ultimately goes into wasted heat when braking! Reusing sing some of that braking energy is important to improve the overall energy efficiency. On average 17% of that gallon of gas is wasted idling, also important to avoid wasting some of that energy!

Guys, I hate the be the rain on the parade, but the C8 ZR1 or whatever is it called is going to start at, what? $170K? MAYBE $200K? Are you really expecting a twin turbo V8, DCT and an F1 electric hybrid system similar to a 918 Spyder or LaFerrari? For sub $200K? I can definitely see a TT V8 happening with at least 800 HP and maybe an electric motor in the front, but nothing fancy. Time will tell I guess. It certainly would be cool to see the range topping C8 to come with those features and in typical Corvette fashion it would be a hell of a bang for the buck.

Skid Row Joe 12-16-2018 01:10 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fb550248a3.png
What good is a bogus Purchase Order? Purchase Orders are in fact legal documents. They're like checks. You can't just scrap a purchase Order without consequences. Doesn't sound right.

vetteship 12-16-2018 01:12 AM

Over 200 posts based on what's likely to be a rumor, oh my...

Skid Row Joe 12-16-2018 01:19 AM

Zora.info wrote:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1ff8c2a425.png
Back on the Zerv02 conspiracy theory $170,000.00+ C8 bandwagon? ?
​​​​​​​Lo!l

JerryU 12-16-2018 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Zora.Info (Post 1598508973)
Guys, I hate the be the rain on the parade, but the C8 ZR1 or whatever is it called is going to start at, what? $170K? MAYBE $200K? Are you really expecting a twin turbo V8, DCT and an F1 electric hybrid system similar to a 918 Spyder or LaFerrari? For sub $200K? I can definitely see a TT V8 happening with at least 800 HP and maybe an electric motor in the front, but nothing fancy. Time will tell I guess. It certainly would be cool to see the range topping C8 to come with those features and in typical Corvette fashion it would be a hell of a bang for the buck.

Yep, an 800 HP ZR1 version, if it every happens, would be expensive (although no way near LaFerrari $$s!) And stated in my response your first speculation of a $169,900 C8, cars of that price level are not bought from Chevy, nor is that GMs business goal!

What I speculated in my above post has nothing to do with a supercar! I said a standard C8 can add KERS which does not make it a supercar! It's what a lower HP standard C8 with say a 4.2 Liter ~450 hp gasoline engine would use to get an extra ~150 hp employing an electric motor/generator and small battery to GAIN EFFICENCY. After Stop/Start (which the C8 will have for sure) the electric motor in a ~~100 lb KERS would propel the C8 to cruising speed BEFORE the gasoline engine turned on. Acceleration is what takes energy not air resistance in normal driving speeds.

Then after reaching that speed about 1/3 of the energy that got to propel the Vette gets wasted braking! KERS generates it's power by the same motor that propels it, turning into a generator! It uses a relative small battery compared to a Tesla!

PS: The battery in a KERS system is unlike the 1200 pond battery in a Tesla. Even the Prius now has a ~115 lb Li-ion battery. For KERS in F1 it weights ~30 lbs and can probably be less than half the Prius at ~50 lbs. My point is using that KERS approach of short time use means the motor/generator can be lighter as it does not have to deal with the heat from longer time use. The energy storage need is less.

It's a big step, combined with Stop then Start the gasoline engine when at cruising speed would make significant energy saving approach. That is what Mary Barra and company are trying to achieve NOT entering the Supercar Market and selling Gucci bags in the waiting room in a Chevy Dealer along with Chevy Heartland ball caps! :lol:

LIStingray 12-16-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1598509438)
It's a big step, combined with Stop then Start the gasoline engine when at cruising speed would make significant energy saving approach. That is what Mary Barra and company are trying to achieve

If the C8 has non-defeatable stop start like the rest of the GM lineup, then i guess the C7 will be my last Corvette. In plain english, start-stop sucks. Nothing worse then getting to the start of an entrance ramp waiting on your small opening to enter traffic when the car shuts off - that 2-3 second delay is a missed entrance, and I find it hard to believe that going from zero rpm to restarting and hitting 5,000 rpms in 2 seconds is good for the engine or transmission, but that is what every GM rental car I have had will do when you floor it to get on a freeway from self induced shutoff.

RACE U 12-16-2018 11:07 AM

Just because they are announcing this problem now, does not mean they just found it. This maybe an issue they have been working on for a while but purposely waited to announce until they had a more firm date as to when it would be resolved.

Cjunkie 12-16-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1598509438)
Yep, an 800 HP ZR1 version, if it every happens, would be expensive (although no way near LaFerrari $$s!) And stated in my response your first speculation of a $169,900 C8, cars of that price level are not bought from Chevy, nor is that GMs business goal!

What I speculated in my above post has nothing to do with a supercar! I said a standard C8 can add KERS which does not make it a supercar! It's what a lower HP standard C8 with say a 4.2 Liter ~450 hp gasoline engine would use to get an extra ~150 hp employing an electric motor/generator and small battery to GAIN EFFICENCY. After Stop/Start (which the C8 will have for sure) the electric motor in a ~~100 lb KERS would propel the C8 to cruising speed BEFORE the gasoline engine turned on. Acceleration is what takes energy not air resistance in normal driving speeds.

Then after reaching that speed about 1/3 of the energy that got to propel the Vette gets wasted braking! KERS generates it's power by the same motor that propels it, turning into a generator! It uses a relative small battery compared to a Tesla!

PS: The battery in a KERS system is unlike the 1200 pond battery in a Tesla. Even the Prius now has a ~115 lb Li-ion battery. For KERS in F1 it weights ~30 lbs and can probably be less than half the Prius at ~50 lbs. My point is using that KERS approach of short time use means the motor/generator can be lighter as it does not have to deal with the heat from longer time use. The energy storage need is less.

It's a big step, combined with Stop then Start the gasoline engine when at cruising speed would make significant energy saving approach. That is what Mary Barra and company are trying to achieve NOT entering the Supercar Market and selling Gucci bags in the waiting room in a Chevy Dealer along with Chevy Heartland ball caps! :lol:

are you serious? Read what you said. Almost ALL C7 owners are old Gucci bag wearing women and bald ball cap wearing guys. Ive been a Corvette owner of some type for 20 years and I can tell you they are one of the tackiest owners on the planet. GM already markets Corvette garbage bags and caps online and in dealerships.

Zaro Tundov 12-16-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by RACE U (Post 1598510230)
Just because they are announcing this problem now, does not mean they just found it. This maybe an issue they have been working on for a while but purposely waited to announce until they had a more firm date as to when it would be resolved.

GM hasn't announced this electrical issue or anything at all related to the C8. It's based off an insider report.

Zora.Info 12-16-2018 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1598509047)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1ff8c2a425.png
Back on the Zerv02 conspiracy theory $170,000.00+ C8 bandwagon? ?
Lo!l

Why did you take a picture instead of just quoting my post? And I never said we wouldn't see the top model C8 hit $170K. We are pretty much ALL in agreement that the base model V8 will not be $170K, THAT is what the debate is about. Please, read next time.

c54u 12-16-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by LIStingray (Post 1598509943)
If the C8 has non-defeatable stop start like the rest of the GM lineup, then i guess the C7 will be my last Corvette. In plain english, start-stop sucks. Nothing worse then getting to the start of an entrance ramp waiting on your small opening to enter traffic when the car shuts off - that 2-3 second delay is a missed entrance, and I find it hard to believe that going from zero rpm to restarting and hitting 5,000 rpms in 2 seconds is good for the engine or transmission, but that is what every GM rental car I have had will do when you floor it to get on a freeway from self induced shutoff.

tips

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/10/...g-the-feature/

Zora.Info 12-16-2018 11:31 AM

I think that eith the C8, we will see our first $200K Corvette. If the C8 ZR1 has a TT V8, DCT, and hybrid system I definitely see it costing around $170K. The C7 ZR1 already starts at $120K, and the 3ZR ZTK pushes $150K. So, it would make sense that a top model C8 ZR1 fully loaded could hit $200K. And it would be a hell of a a bargain, as usual.

ShagVette 12-16-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Zora.Info (Post 1598510339)
I think that eith the C8, we will see our first $200K Corvette. If the C8 ZR1 has a TT V8, DCT, and hybrid system I definitely see it costing around $170K. The C7 ZR1 already starts at $120K, and the 3ZR ZTK pushes $150K. So, it would make sense that a top model C8 ZR1 fully loaded could hit $200K. And it would be a hell of a a bargain, as usual.

Not sure why you feel the need to keep posting your opinion on this multiple times.

Also, you're posting this in a delayed electrical issue thread, not the price thread where it belongs. You just wrote in another thread trying to correct someone else "Really wish people would pay attention to the forum before trying to contribute. Between that, and people posting in the wrong sections despite them being clearly labelled, it can get frustrating."

JerryU 12-16-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by LIStingray (Post 1598509943)

I'm sure it would be defeatable as it is in our very well implemented BME X5 SUV. In the instance you specify the KERS would also provide a ~160 hp for your blast into the moving traffic IF NEEDED! Sure glad I don't live where there is that much traffic! Be visiting Daughter and Family in Upland CA for Christmas and will deal with LA traffic. Until I get back home and hit redline in 3rd gear on the 3/4 mile long street with no traffic and farm fields on each side a few miles from the house :lol:

JerryU 12-16-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cjunkie (Post 1598510257)

are you serious? Read what you said. Almost ALL C7 owners are old Gucci bag wearing women and bald ball cap wearing guys. Ive been a Corvette owner of some type for 20 years and I can tell you they are one of the tackiest owners on the planet. GM already markets Corvette garbage bags and caps online and in dealerships.

Originally Posted by Zora.Info (Post 1598510339)

Afraid my sarcastic comments go over some heads!

Zora, don't think you understand that Supercar Prices are for a select group of folks and most don't shop at Walmart. They are expecting and can afford more than they will get at a Chevy Dealer!

I'll provide an incident that occurred with a friend who owned an Enzo and a 599 Ferrari as well as over 40 vintage sports cars. The most non pretentious multimillionaire you'd ever meet! He was born the same year as I and unfortunately died unexpectedly 8 years ago at 68. Tom had a premonition of dyeing early because of his dad died when he was in college. So for over 10 years prior Tom was racing his vintage sports cars most of the time! Great fellow who's death started me on a 50 car collection, albeit much smaller and in my Man Cave! :yesnod:

Story of Buying and Enzo:
Tom would bring the Enzo in his 40 foot 18 wheeler trailer to the vintage car races along with two of his vintage cars he would enter. The pic below is Tom driving his Maserati Birdcage at Laguna Seca. Sitting on the viewing deck on top of his transport trailer, I asked about the Enzo and he chuckled as he told me how he got it. He had inquired at a very large Ferrari dealer about the possibility of getting one. He was told, sorry Tom only getting two and both are sold. Tom said he really didn't care was just inquiring. A month or so later he gets a call and was told he was lucky the deal for one fell through and he could have that car. Tom said I really didn't want it BUT could not turn it down!

Have to understand someone like Tom gets that car and is expected to drive and use and NOT just turn around and sell it so some sports star for a 50% profit! If he did, he'd not buy another high end car! Same occurs with a LaFerrari and confident a similar situation occurs with a Bugatti Veyron!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...498a8ffb4a.jpg

tcinla 12-16-2018 02:04 PM

Did anyone notice Rick conti say the C8 could be a 2021 car and not 2020?
Let the brand new posts ensue...