CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4221509-gm-authority-c8-delayed-6-months-over-electrical-issue.html)

themonk 12-12-2018 09:21 PM

Do you know how many prototypes that don't even make it into production are shown at car shows, most of which don't even run? What does an electrical problem have to do with showing a mule at a car show?

So now, where do they plan on doing the unveiling? Unless they want to wait a year it's not going to be in North America, exactly where GM should be debuting their flagship car.

fasttoys 12-12-2018 09:38 PM

My only thought is the future version of the C8 ME will need a more robust electrical system. We know the electric system on a C7”s is pretty much the same across all versions. It would have to be cheaper to build one harness that works for all variants Instead of a one off design.

We been hearing the faster version of the ME will have electronic motors, simular to other electric cars. In order for GM to keep cost in line they need an electric system to handle all versions.

1 year ME Base N/A motor Mid-Engine.
2 year ME Zora basically Z06 versionwith TT motor
3 year ME Zora basically ZR1 with electric motors. Combo

MikeG37 12-12-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by JerriVette (Post 1598490603)
The c8 was never announced by gm to release so how could it be delayed.

only those of us on the forums were hopeful the c8 would release in january.

there is no delay since it was never officially scheduled for release.

the electrical issue? Doubt its true...if there happens to be a specific issue gmepuld mever tell is anyway ...

imho

my best guess is there are too many unsold c7 s in inventory...

once the c8 officially releases those c7 s value will drop hard and discounts will be even larger..

how to motivate the unknowning to buy a c7 is to delay the official release of the c8 withsome ridiculousrumor...

there are many who will opt to take advantage of the money put on the hood come january especially if they are not knowingly purchase a corvette generation about to be replaced...

i have no onside information and this is all just a guess on my part...

when the c8 arrives we will all check it out amd decide if we want to buy one for ourselves.

:iagree:
For all we know this car could already be years behind schedule.. or 6 months ahead of their target date. As far as any official word goes it doesn't even exist.

Supersonic 427 12-12-2018 09:50 PM

So, someone at GM tells GMauthority.com that the car that hasn't been announced or acknowledge yet..... is delayed because of electrical problems? That would be a pretty risky leak....if true!

PCMIII 12-12-2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427 (Post 1598490962)
So, someone at GM tells GMauthority.com that the car that hasn't been announced or acknowledge yet..... is delayed because of electrical problems? That would be a pretty risky leak....if true!

Had to be an authorized leak if true. Makes sense that Corvette wants to keep interested folks updated on the schedule at least.

NoOne 12-12-2018 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyb (Post 1598489723)
How can they have designed an electrical system not capable of running the car and accessories? Wouldn't the "draw" of each component be known going in? This doesn't make sense to me but I'm no engineer.

It happens.

The 5.9 Grand Cherokee would have a problem in pre-production where the engine would cut out due to electrical load.

It was discovered and fixed as production cars were rolling off the line. Thankfully they found and fixed the problem due to some super smart employee that was able to reproduce the problem :)

Darion 12-12-2018 10:17 PM

I dont if this true or not, but I would think with all the control modules, sensors and wiring in todays cars they would be sensitive to spikes and fluctuations in power. Not to mention all the communication between the various control modules that are now apparently locked down with some sort of encryption.

one way or the other, car isnt coming till GM says so and I hope it is as right as can be.

PC

PCMIII 12-12-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Darion (Post 1598491103)
I dont if this true or not, but I would think with all the control modules, sensors and wiring in todays cars they would be sensitive to spikes and fluctuations in power. Not to mention all the communication between the various control modules that are now apparently locked down with some sort of encryption.

one way or the other, car isnt coming till GM says so and I hope it is as right as can be.

PC

It's very hard to build a supercar from the ground up and get it right. That is why Corvette has never done it since 1953.

firstvettesoon 12-12-2018 10:35 PM

What I can’t accept is that the C8 is not the first mid engine car developed. Many similar cars are available to study and take notes and learn from.

Load is a basic engineering exercise. Not like the engineers as guessing at the requirements.
Hard to believe they could undershoot it so far as to cause any delay.

Pull the the other one GM !

ojm 12-12-2018 10:47 PM

The head of GM research and development Eddy Current phd is not doing anymore interviews.

ojm 12-12-2018 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon (Post 1598491157)
What I can’t accept is that the C8 is not the first mid engine car developed. Many similar cars are available to study and take notes and learn from.

Load is a basic engineering exercise. Not like the engineers as guessing at the requirements.
Hard to believe they could undershoot it so far as to cause any delay.

Pull the the other one GM !

The first new 18 C7 I sat in at the dealer, did not even crank over, needs a charge but really.

Does sound fishy it's just ohm's law, no variables.

jimmyb 12-12-2018 10:55 PM

How about this:

All the "INSIDERS" here that "know a guy"...

WHAT'S THE STORY, GUYS????

Is this real or another GM Authority foot shooting?

jimmyb 12-12-2018 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ojm (Post 1598491199)
The head of GM research and development Eddy Current phd is not doing anymore interviews.

I heard that also. I think his assistant, Kelly Watt, is doing the damage control now.

pietro c7 12-12-2018 11:13 PM

The car is springing forward.
Will debut in NYC.(with or without Fiat wiring....makes no difference,they don’t have to put the ignition on.)
Will bash at the bash.(and priced!!...Sorry zerv02 and PCM.....you guys might consider a Cunard round the world cruise...)
Will be in our driveways by the end of summer.

direct007 12-12-2018 11:24 PM

Makes my buying decision a little easier. I was hoping for a major announcement / news release in January 2019 for a C8 that I was hoping to obtain by the fall. I didn't like the idea of not having a new vette for the summer but I was willing to wait. Now, if it's 6 more months, it might as well be another year so I think I will go ahead and get a 2019 and keep it for 3 years and hopefully by late 2021 / early 2022...Everything will be worked out and the car will have some time out in the hands of the public and the quirks will be worked out.

ojm 12-12-2018 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by direct007 (Post 1598491353)
Makes my buying decision a little easier. I was hoping for a major announcement / news release in January 2019 for a C8 that I was hoping to obtain by the fall. I didn't like the idea of not having a new vette for the summer but I was willing to wait. Now, if it's 6 more months, it might as well be another year so I think I will go ahead and get a 2019 and keep it for 3 years and hopefully by late 2021 / early 2022...Everything will be worked out and the car will have some time out in the hands of the public and the quirks will be worked out.

Sounds like a good plan.

pietro c7 12-12-2018 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by direct007 (Post 1598491353)

Thats the thing with Corvette...you can never go wrong...
Great value ,regardless of model year,

Corvette has been delivering value and pride of ownership for almost 70 years.

Jeff Wisener 12-13-2018 03:37 AM

If?

^^^ If GM's motivation was to leak a delay to get those on the fence to buy a C7 to reduce existing stock rather than wait for the ME, it worked in your case.

pkincy 12-13-2018 03:40 AM

And that is the reason you never buy the first model year of an all new car.

Vette_Pilot 12-13-2018 07:53 AM

Maybe with all of the digital goodies instead of analog goodies is too much for the 12 volt system to handle!!! :willy: :willy: