CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Ordering Option (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4221661-mobil-1-0w-40-esp-dexos-2-ordering-option.html)

Frosty 12-13-2018 08:35 AM

Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2 Ordering Option

E-mailed Exxon/Mobil customer support to ask when retail stores like Walmart are envisioned to have the new oil in stock. Was told that since June it can be ordered by any of the big national auto parts chains that sell Mobil 1, e.g NAPA, Advance Auto, O'Reilys etc. The part number you should give is 123875 which is six, one quart bottles.

"The local store probably won't recognize the 123875 part number, but this is what their Distribution Center will use to get it using their ExxonMobil national account. It may take a conversation with one of their more experienced employees, it just varies from store to store. Sometimes you might find a new kid who doesn't know they can do it"

When I asked Exxon/Mobil, I didn't say I had a C7, but they knew by my question. Exxon/Mobil doubts that stores like Walmart will ever stock this oil on their shelves because it is a very, very small market niche and they won't want to lose the shelf space.

I would think that while the big chain auto parts stores are going to charge more than what I have been paying at Walmart over the years for Mobil 1, they won't rape us as bad as what I have seen to date by sellers on ebay and other opportunistic sellers. The best price I have seen so far by these folks has been about $10 per quart before shipping. Even if it is still $10 per quart, ordering at a chain auto parts store should mean no shipping charges.

MMD 12-13-2018 09:10 AM

My local Chevy dealer charged me $11 a quart. It's widely available and I doubt you will ever see this oil on the bargain shelf at Walmart for $6 a quart.

Patman 12-13-2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 1598492334)

When I asked Exxon/Mobil, I didn't say I had a C7, but they knew by my question. Exxon/Mobil doubts that stores like Walmart will ever stock this oil on their shelves because it is a very, very small market niche and they won't want to lose the shelf space.

This is something that bothers me a lot, because in the literature that Mobil 1 has released in the past about this oil, they said that when this oil hit retail shelves, it would be available in all of the same places that Mobil 1 is currently sold. It appears that will not be true :(

Frosty 12-13-2018 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 1598492776)
This is something that bothers me a lot, because in the literature that Mobil 1 has released in the past about this oil, they said that when this oil hit retail shelves, it would be available in all of the same places that Mobil 1 is currently sold. It appears that will not be true :(

Exxon Mobil has no control over what retail stores are willing to put on the shelves. I think they hoped that the Walmart's of the world would be willing to stock some cases, but that has not happened.

What Exxon/Mobil needs to probably do is have an advertising campaign to tout how it is the "Corvette" oil, now available for passenger cars with the following advantages..... yada yada

JDSC8VETTE 12-13-2018 09:49 AM

I'm just going to use Mobil 1 5 W 30 Dexos in mine since I will be just street driving my car.

Frosty 12-13-2018 09:54 AM

Normally I would do as you indicated, but I really like the theoretical broader ambient temperature span afforded by a 0W-40 over the current 5W-30. I may be old school but I was always told that it is a good thing to have a thinner oil that flows better in cold temperature starts and a thicker viscosity oil that protects better at higher temps

vader86 12-13-2018 10:41 AM

Eventually it'll be in Walmart, but that day may only come after GM makes it a requirement for more and more cars.

Patman 12-13-2018 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1598493304)
Eventually it'll be in Walmart, but that day may only come after GM makes it a requirement for more and more cars.

The only other vehicles they would put it in would be Camaros and some of the hi performance Caddys, but even then that's still a drop in the bucket overall. And GM is shying away from making cars, and shifting towards SUVs and electrics in the future.

vader86 12-13-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 1598493360)
The only other vehicles they would put it in would be Camaros and some of the hi performance Caddys, but even then that's still a drop in the bucket overall. And GM is shying away from making cars, and shifting towards SUVs and electrics in the future.

Given that the diesel engines the ESP formula is made to help, I think that would justify enough production numbers for a Walmart to put it on shelves. Eventually they'll put it in all truck models if they ever start putting it in diesel trucks.

The HACK 12-13-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1598493408)
Given that the diesel engines the ESP formula is made to help, I think that would justify enough production numbers for a Walmart to put it on shelves. Eventually they'll put it in all truck models if they ever start putting it in diesel trucks.

GM Diesels will run DEXOS2 5W-30. This 0W-40 really only has applications for high performance use, ie Corvettes and Camaros that REQUIRES DEXOS2 and a heavier, 40 weight oil.

Our only hope for this to start showing up on shelves at Walmart is if Mobil 1 retire the European formula and substitute this DEXOS2 approved 0W-40 in its place to consolidate, because I think the DEXOS2 ESP 0W-40 also meets all the European make’s diesel and small displacement turbo requirements like BMW-LL01 and LL04 and VW’s 505.01. If Mobil 1 decides to consolidate and just have 1 0W-40 to save marketing and packaging cost, that is.

Frosty 12-13-2018 11:14 AM

IMHO it doesn't matter how many vehicles that GM recommends it for. It is the consumer that Walmart will respond too. Unless consumers start asking Walmart to carry it, they won't dedicate the shelf space. Why should they? The process of matching supply stock and demand will take a very long time and probably won't happen at all unless Exxon/Mobil has an advertising blitz to convince or just educate the consumer on why they should use this new oil in their cars or trucks. I think that would be a real challenge to accomplish. Exxon/Mobil would have to spend quite a bit of advertising dollars and make a case on why the consumer should probably pay more for this oil than their current other options. I don't think the argument can be made effectively. Even C7 owners admit that the current Mobil 1 5W-30 is more than adequate for their needs.

Frosty 12-13-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by The HACK (Post 1598493543)

GM Diesels will run DEXOS2 5W-30. This 0W-40 really only has applications for high performance use, ie Corvettes and Camaros that REQUIRES DEXOS2 and a heavier, 40 weight oil.

Our only hope for this to start showing up on shelves at Walmart is if Mobil 1 retire the European formula and substitute this DEXOS2 approved 0W-40 in its place to consolidate, because I think the DEXOS2 ESP 0W-40 also meets all the European make’s diesel and small displacement turbo requirements like BMW-LL01 and LL04 and VW’s 505.01. If Mobil 1 decides to consolidate and just have 1 0W-40 to save marketing and packaging cost, that is.

Good point

vader86 12-13-2018 11:32 AM

There will always be a use case for this weight of oil, the weight is a non issue. If they offer ESP at all at a local store, they'll end up carrying all the weights. They may not keep the shelf as stocked up as say a 10w30, but it'll be there.

Patman 12-13-2018 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1598493704)
There will always be a use case for this weight of oil, the weight is a non issue. If they offer ESP at all at a local store, they'll end up carrying all the weights. They may not keep the shelf as stocked up as say a 10w30, but it'll be there.

I think the telltale sign is that they don't even carry the 5w30 ESP Formula at most places right now, Walmart stopped selling it about a year or two ago. I used to have an easy time finding it up here, Canadian Tire stocked it, but now they've got it on clearance so I'm pretty sure it'll no longer be there either. So I don't see them starting to stock 0w40 ESP Formula now.

orca1946 12-13-2018 06:05 PM

0-40 is required in my wife's Audi. Will that work for our Vettes?

dbaker 12-13-2018 06:09 PM

I would think the Euro oils are formulated differently.

\db2

MMD 12-13-2018 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by orca1946 (Post 1598496632)
0-40 is required in my wife's Audi. Will that work for our Vettes?

you can use anything you want in your car. Some may even suggest using Honey. The reason GM worked with Mobil 1 to write the spec for the only oil GM recommends for the C7 (i.e., 10W-40 ESP Dexos2 Mobil 1) is to prolong the life of the engine on this car (cold start improvement) and also to meet EPA requirements to prolong catalytic converter life. Now if you think you have found an liquid that exceeds these standards then you may use whatever liquid you want.

Vetteman Jack 12-13-2018 09:43 PM

Thanks to the OP for the tip on getting the oil from auto parts stores. That should help some members in their search.

HorsePowerAddicts 12-13-2018 09:59 PM

Good luck getting this oil for 6 dollars a quart. I wish i could name prices i wanted to pay for everything in life too, but i cant... So many threads wanting this oil for walmart 5w30 prices.

Here is our link to 10 Quarts and we are as competitively priced as we can be. Honestly margins are horrible but we wanted to make this oil easily accessible to all and expand our customer base. We ship this out almost every day to new buyers and now already some repeat buyers all over the country.

https://horsepower-addicts.com/colle...-esp-0w-40-oil

JerryU 12-13-2018 10:26 PM

Our only hope for this to start showing up on shelves at Walmart is if Mobil 1 retire the European formula and substitute this DEXOS2 approved 0W-40 in its place to consolidate,

:iagree: My thought exactly as they now carry 0-40 for European cars so why not just carry the ESP version.

Until that time I'll continue to buy the 5-30 that came with my 2017 Grand Sport and pay ~$2.50/quart after the Mobil rebate.