CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Change Battery without loosing memory? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4222043-change-battery-without-loosing-memory.html)

Bucks Centennial 12-14-2018 11:38 AM

Change Battery without loosing memory?

Question. If I use the factory battery maintainer plugged into the outlet while I chance battery in my Convertible C7 will I maintain my memory or do I have to buy a memory minder? Thanks for any input from someone who knows.

KenHorse 12-14-2018 11:42 AM

Which memories?

Bucks Centennial 12-14-2018 11:47 AM

Seats, radio, etc. etc

KenHorse 12-14-2018 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bucks Centennial (Post 1598500304)
Seats, radio, etc. etc

Radio memories are non volatile I believe but you will have to redo seat memories, window indexing, etc

joemessman 12-14-2018 12:19 PM

I had to reconfigure the Driver Information center (DIC) settings as far as my default views. Also some Infotainment settings had to be reset. Others I had set were not changed. Go figure. Some have reported that nothing changed.

C8-Vette 12-14-2018 12:30 PM

A lot of flash memory in the C7 , just like the C6. The only one you should lose is the window indexing, easily fixed.

lbzraptor 12-14-2018 12:41 PM

They make a cheap thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter that will retain the memory. The charger that plugs into the lighter probably will work also

Zymurgy 12-14-2018 12:48 PM

When I changed my battery, I only had to reindex the windows. Absolutely no need to do anything special. My battery was disconnected for over an hour.

eboggs_jkvl 12-14-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by C7-Vette (Post 1598500625)
A lot of flash memory in the C7 , just like the C6. The only one you should lose is the window indexing, easily fixed.

I agree. Won't lose jack changing out the battery but you will need to re-index the windows.

Elmer

Avanti 12-14-2018 02:17 PM

I have a typical 9-volt (battery equipped) "memory" maintainer that plugs into a fulltime-on (rear on the C7) "cigarette lighter" plug.

Though I have not had the need to use it on the C7 I have used it many times on other vehicles including recently on my C5... again. I don't have a picture of the thing but I'm sure it was originally from Walmart. I would, however, suggest that if anyone has one of these and have had it for a long time, I'd check the voltage of the 9-volt battery each time before using it.

Btw, it works exactly as advertised. All the best. :yesnod:

c7steve 12-14-2018 03:35 PM

i have a snap on memory saver EESM500 ,,, it is worth every penny, especially if you live where you get E checked, you wont lose any codes if you need to disconnect or change battery.

below is a link

https://www.ebay.com/p/Snap-on-EESM5...1738677&chn=ps

Bucks Centennial 12-14-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bucks Centennial (Post 1598500247)
Question. If I use the factory battery maintainer plugged into the outlet while I chance battery in my Convertible C7 will I maintain my memory or do I have to buy a memory minder? Thanks for any input from someone who knows.

Okay, let me try again. What I am asking is if the $100 option Battery Maintainer that came with my C7 will keep voltage to the various instruments that need it while I am changing out the battery?? Has anyone changed a battery while using the GM supplied battery maintainer? If so, what was the result? Did you have to reset any of the functions like window indexing, seat, etc. or did they stay set as they were?

eboggs_jkvl 12-14-2018 03:52 PM

Why worry about losing everything, you won't. If you "save" having to re-index the windows, this is what you save.

Window Indexing and Express-Up Reset
Window indexing may be required if the vehicle battery has been recharged or disconnected, or is not working. Express-up and the convertible top will not function until the windows are reset. After battery power is restored, a message or code displays in the Driver Information Center. See Driver Information Center (DIC) on page 5-23.

Once power is restored:
1. Close the doors.
2. Start the vehicle.
3. Put windows down
4. Raise each window and hold the window switch up in the fully closed position for a few seconds after the window is up.

Elmer

GTFD2 12-14-2018 03:52 PM

If the "9 volt memory keeper" in the trunk power port will keep everything the battery maintainer should do the same thing for you.

mountainears 12-14-2018 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bucks Centennial
Okay, let me try again. What I am asking is if the $100 option Battery Maintainer that came with my C7 will keep voltage to the various instruments that need it while I am changing out the battery?? Has anyone changed a battery while using the GM supplied battery maintainer? If so, what was the result? Did you have to reset any of the functions like window indexing, seat, etc. or did they stay set as they were?

Starting to sound like no one knows the answer you are looking for. For the benefit of others that may come across this thread, if you try it, please post the results.

Yea, easy to read-index windows and fix other stuff, but if you didn't have to by plugging something in that you already have, even easier.

redrider28075 12-14-2018 08:30 PM

Start the car and leave it running while you change the battery

lbzraptor 12-14-2018 09:50 PM

I have heard that doing that can kill the alternator on these new vehicles. I have replaced an alternator and the instructions that came with the alternator said specifically that the battery had to be at least 50 percent or alternator death could occur.

krwunlv 12-14-2018 10:11 PM

Attach a jump Box to the cables, disconnect from the battery while the jump box is turned on. That should provide enough power to your system while you change the battery out.

Ken

owc6 12-14-2018 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by mountainears (Post 1598502931)
Starting to sound like no one knows the answer you are looking for. For the benefit of others that may come across this thread, if you try it, please post the results.

Yea, easy to read-index windows and fix other stuff, but if you didn't have to by plugging something in that you already have, even easier.

At least a couple people have already answered correctly.

You will lose nothing but window indexing (maybe); no presets whatsoever. Mine has been disconnected a few times, and only has needed re-indexing about 50% of the time. Seats, mirrors, radio were never affected. Also: re-indexing window ~3 seconds, hooking up something = much more time. :shrug:

boxster99t 12-15-2018 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl (Post 1598500739)
I agree. Won't lose jack changing out the battery but you will need to re-index the windows.

Elmer

With one caveat--if you live in a vehicle inspection state, don't do this immediately prior to needing an inspection because the ECM while return a number of "not ready" codes when the battery is disconnected.

I had my 2015 in because the HVAC actuator went bad, and for an inspection at the same time. Instead of doing the state inspection first, they changed out the actuator, disconnecting the battery (of course) in the process, and could not do the inspection after that. Had to drive it for a day or so and bring it back. Also, for some reason and I'm not sure why, I also lost the outside temperature reading on the first go around (don't know if that was due to the battery being disconnected or them updating the software).