CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Oil Pan Gasket R&R (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4222375-oil-pan-gasket-r-and-r.html)

Subfixer 12-15-2018 02:27 PM

Oil Pan Gasket R&R

Replacing the oil pan gasket requires some patience.....

While the pan removal was straight forward, removing all the shields and brackets from the oil pan bolt/studs was a major PIA.

Here's the "insides"..

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8db68e10ae.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2f39ee841a.jpg

fake 12-16-2018 09:11 AM

If they sit they leak. I am doing gaskets now cork which after ten years look pathetic This is on my 77, my 93 has no leaks but no mileage either. What are you using for gasket material on your 92? Are you gluing the pan with adhesive and what type?

1985 Corvette 12-16-2018 10:09 AM

While you’re under there, take a look at your exhaust manifold bolts. I am looking at the oil pan bolts today and found an unwelcomed surprise. Is it common for these to loosen as well? The bottom corner manifold flange bolt closest to the firewall on the driver side is gone.

Anyone know now what size bolt goes there?

WVZR-1 12-16-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette (Post 1598509922)
While you’re under there, take a look at your exhaust manifold bolts. I am looking at the oil pan bolts today and found an unwelcomed surprise. Is it common for these to loosen as well? The bottom corner manifold flange bolt closest to the firewall on the driver side is gone.

Anyone know now what size bolt goes there?

Oil pan hardware LT5 is considered 'maintenance' - not an unexpected situation. Exhaust manifold/converter to cylinder head 'missing' - missing is doubtful - I doubt any 100% populated unless added my an owner..Bolts and a spacer for some locations.The location you mention I believe is generally expected to be populated. Jerrys Gaskets has a 'FREE' bolt reference download that you can fetch. There's several links to the same chart/information throughout the ZR-1 section. I'd say research will educate you.

Did you ever replace the bolts at your hub/bearing spindle with 'flange head' hardware?

This link will get you some info!!

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/bolt-ex...old-90-95-1d2/

ccmano 12-16-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1598510146)
Oil pan hardware LT5 is considered 'maintenance' - not an unexpected situation. Exhaust manifold/converter to cylinder head 'missing' - missing is doubtful - I doubt any 100% populated unless added my an owner..Bolts and a spacer for some locations.The location you mention I believe is generally expected to be populated. Jerrys Gaskets has a 'FREE' bolt reference download that you can fetch. There's several links to the same chart/information throughout the ZR-1 section. I'd say research will educate you.

Agreed, exhaust manifold bolts don’t generally come loose. For some strange reason the factory elected not to put them all in on all the engines. This fact has been well documented. As for the oil pan, tightening the pan bolts seems to be a right of passage for new owners. Like injector replacement, all part of the challenge and fun of Z ownership.
H
:cheers:

1985 Corvette 12-16-2018 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1598510146)

Did you ever replace the bolts at your hub/bearing spindle with 'flange head' hardware?

Thanks, WV. The local hardware store only had four grade 10 flange head bolts. I went ahead and bought them while they order more. I ended up using grade 10 hex heads with stainless washers. I'll be replacing with the flange heads one I have the full "set".

WVZR-1 12-16-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette (Post 1598510478)
Thanks, WV. The local hardware store only had four grade 10 flange head bolts. I went ahead and bought them while they order more. I ended up using grade 10 hex heads with stainless washers. I'll be replacing with the flange heads one I have the full "set".

The bolts I'd think are M10x1.5 but I'm not sure what length you would use. The F-body I'm quite sure were 50mm long and maybe 30mm thread. I'm sure they're 10.9. What length did you actually need/use?

Subfixer 12-16-2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by fake (Post 1598509644)
If they sit they leak. I am doing gaskets now cork which after ten years look pathetic This is on my 77, my 93 has no leaks but no mileage either. What are you using for gasket material on your 92? Are you gluing the pan with adhesive and what type?

One piece gasket and pickup o-ring from Jerrys Gaskets, Different material from the original. Fit is perfect. No glue.

1985 Corvette 12-16-2018 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 (Post 1598510667)
The bolts I'd think are M10x1.5 but I'm not sure what length you would use. The F-body I'm quite sure were 50mm long and maybe 30mm thread. I'm sure they're 10.9. What length did you actually need/use?

Yep, you're right it's 10.9. I double checked the bolts I have and they are 10.9. They are same length as the original Vette shouldered bolts that held the old hubs on.

Subfixer, I see the dreaded passenger side O2 bracket in your pictures and actually see a second bracket for the driver side? My 91 had that torture piece only on the passenger side.

Subfixer 12-17-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette (Post 1598513275)
Subfixer, I see the dreaded passenger side O2 bracket in your pictures and actually see a second bracket for the driver side? My 91 had that torture piece only on the passenger side.

They call those brackets "wiring harness heat shields". The driver's side was the killer to reinstall. There's a small 10mm head bolt that goes into the side of the block at the top of the bracket, along with another bracket that holds a braided steel hose. Getting that stuff lined up by "feel" only took forever. I quit trying after 1 1/2 hours Saturday. Another half hour Sunday, with multiple tools, I finally got the bolt in. After that, all other reassembly was a piece of cake.
Hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon......

A26B 12-17-2018 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Subfixer (Post 1598517682)
They call those brackets "wiring harness heat shields". The driver's side was the killer to reinstall. There's a small 10mm head bolt that goes into the side of the block at the top of the bracket, along with another bracket that holds a braided steel hose. Getting that stuff lined up by "feel" only took forever. I quit trying after 1 1/2 hours Saturday. Another half hour Sunday, with multiple tools, I finally got the bolt in. After that, all other reassembly was a piece of cake.
Hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon......

Sounds like a good location to replace the bolt with a stud (loctite) & nut.

Subfixer 12-18-2018 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by A26B (Post 1598518732)
Sounds like a good location to replace the bolt with a stud (loctite) & nut.

If I ever have to go back in there, that's a good suggestion. The Pass side shield has a stud and nut at the top........