CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Oil Filters*** Food for Thought (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4222458-oil-filters-food-for-thought.html)

Not So Fast 12-15-2018 08:20 PM

Oil Filters*** Food for Thought

Dont shoot the messenger, just an interesting take FYI
NSF

HBsurfer 12-15-2018 08:37 PM

I have used Wix for years so this makes me feel smart.

One comment/question. Every time I see a classic Ferrari on tv, whether it is an original barn find or a six figure restoration, they all have Fram oil filters. I assume they are what were installed at the factory. Most everything I have ever watched or read seems to agree that Fram are low quality filters, so it has always seemed odd that they are all over classic Ferrari's. Any input from someone who knows about this would be appreciated.

TorchRedFred 12-15-2018 09:12 PM

Nice video. Some good to know info in there. :thumbs:

Doons 12-15-2018 09:24 PM

Good info, thanks......

enventr 12-15-2018 10:16 PM

Thanks- good info!

C5RACNG 12-15-2018 10:19 PM

mechanic for dept of sanitation NYC, always used WIX in our fleet

ProfessorDeath 12-16-2018 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by HBsurfer (Post 1598508160)

One comment/question. Every time I see a classic Ferrari on tv, whether it is an original barn find or a six figure restoration, they all have Fram oil filters. I assume they are what were installed at the factory. Most everything I have ever watched or read seems to agree that Fram are low quality filters, so it has always seemed odd that they are all over classic Ferrari's. Any input from someone who knows about this would be appreciated.

Likely due to availability in a number of unconventional sizes.

OneBadLT123 12-16-2018 12:55 AM

Wix or K&N only on my rides!

Icecap 12-16-2018 01:04 AM

There are lots of oil filter evaluation videos but most have one thing in common insofar as they usually test and rate the cheapest line of Fram filters the 'Extra Guard' which I completely agree are trash and that I wouldn't even use them on a beater. Fram does make good quality filters and I have no qualms about using their Ultra Synthetic filters or specialty racing filters. The design, construction and filtration medium in these is as good or better than most of the better quality ones tested. These cost a lot more than the their basic 'Extra Guard' filters but you get what you pay for. There are a lot of good quality filters on the market that I wouldn't hesitate to use but in these evaluations they need to compare them within their categories of cheap to premium for a level playing field.

Here is some interesting research indicating who the parent companies are that manufacture your favorite brands (WIX K&N etc.) of oil filters that are marketed under various brand names but are technically identical with the exception of the color of the can and the branding.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...025b620eb2.jpg

Cherokee Nation 12-16-2018 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by HBsurfer (Post 1598508160)

You think maybe back in the day Fram was maybe a good filter.I'm sure Mobil 1,Wix,Napa,Acdelco was not even on the market...Just a thought.

capevettes 12-16-2018 06:53 AM

Good video. I've always believed that Wix was a superior filter and that the Fram filters were poorly constructed. Would have liked to see AC Delco and Mobil 1 filters scrutinized.

Tim2013 12-16-2018 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation (Post 1598509040)
You think maybe back in the day Fram was maybe a good filter.I'm sure Mobil 1,Wix,Napa,Acdelco was not even on the market...Just a thought.

i am about to view the video but back in the day 1970’s Fran was the filter. We used dinosaur oil and changed every 3k miles....thinking....points, condenser and rotor cap every 10k. Those were good days! Happy Motoring! Tim

TucoTom 12-16-2018 07:43 AM

Good video, thanks!
Standing in the store my criteria for choosing an oil filter is weight.
I use Mobile 1 or K&N filters.
I'm going to check out the WIX filter.......

449er 12-16-2018 09:52 AM

I'll stick with Mobil 1, thank you

farmington 12-16-2018 10:01 AM

Every year, usually around the end of February, I go to my favorite auto parts store (yes, it’s a REAL auto parts store) and get a Wix oil filter for the spring oil change on my summer car. I buy my Mobile 1 from Costco when it’s on sale. My tradition.

G8Pumpkin 12-16-2018 10:16 AM

Actually the HP race line filters are some of the best filters you can get the base line ones are crappy. In fact these are the only filters that I can find that have a screened over bypass which may save an engine if you lose a needle bearing from a lifter as an example.

https://www.fram.com/media/1075/fram...sell-sheet.pdf

Boomer111 12-16-2018 01:00 PM

Been a Wix user for years. I appreciate the video nevertheless.

G8Pumpkin 12-16-2018 01:50 PM

The article is interesting except there are a few problems in the LS engine which is a brilliant design let down by some manufacturing quality control problems. First in the oil filter category spend some time learning about bypass valve settings and what is going on inside the LS engine, GM has actually upgraded the bypass psi rating of the most recent recommended filter from the original design specification. The execution of the dumbbell plug at the end of the oil gallery is poorly made and lets some unfiltered oil bypass the filter constantly do to it not fitting tightly in the main oil gallery, let alone what happens every time you start your engine cold and the likely hood of a lot of filters opening up the bypass and allowing oil to get around the filter so having a wonderful filter dose not help with unfiltered oil going by it. Regarding the plastic dumbbell you cannot get at it to change it out and replace it with a billet aluminum one unless you have the engine out of the car or are doing a clutch change then it is relatively simple to access by taking the rear cover off otherwise we have to live with it.

Just pulled a 6 liter apart from a truck and it is sloppy for fit and just makes me mad every time I start my Corvette and know that unfiltered oil is going around the engine, add this to the list of GM quality control issues.

Here is a link to what is actually going on at the end of all LS motors main oil gallerys, there is an up to .020 hole allowing oil to bypass the filter so having a micron rated filter is kind of pointless.

https://www.saccitycorvette.com/Billet-BarBell.html

Mike's LS3 12-16-2018 02:24 PM

I have seen several oil filter comparisons, the results have been consistent, Fram ranked last and Wix Xp on top. I only use Wix XP oil filters.

919cw313 12-16-2018 02:36 PM

Wix XP for my corvette, Napa Gold (made by Wix) for boat and truck.