CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   1991 #473 Progress (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4222708-1991-473-progress.html)

jss06c6 12-16-2018 07:18 PM

1991 #473 Progress

Been a while since I've posted here. Been hanging out at ZR-1 Net Registry.. I've completed the top end porting on #473. Tuned to accommodate additional air flow and powder coated the topside.

Next step will be 3D Printing of a custom bezel for the dash with full gauge set, driven by a Holley Dominator ECM. Will be fabricating custom install of twin siamesed Garrett GTX 3576 turbos tied in to existing 3" SW exhaust. All engine management and tuning through the Holley Dominator ECM. Mahle pistons and rods along with a custom crank with either 24 or 58 tooth reluctor.

Will start in February or March.. stay tuned.. oh and porting/tune brought #473 to 373 rwhp at 6900 rpm!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...524383ccfe.jpg

billy mild 12-17-2018 11:34 AM

Holley ECU setup? Is that new?

jss06c6 12-17-2018 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by billy mild (Post 1598515414)
Holley ECU setup? Is that new?

Believe there is at least one other LT-5 running on Holley.. my goal is to eliminate the CCM issues and drive gauges via CAN bus and gain better control of the engine with the Holley Dominator ECM. Will be building custom wire harness as well.

Goldcylon 12-20-2018 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by jss06c6 (Post 1598512638)
Been a while since I've posted here. Been hanging out at ZR-1 Net Registry.. I've completed the top end porting on #473. Tuned to accommodate additional air flow and powder coated the topside.

Next step will be 3D Printing of a custom bezel for the dash with full gauge set, driven by a Holley Dominator ECM. Will be fabricating custom install of twin siamesed Garrett GTX 3576 turbos tied in to existing 3" SW exhaust. All engine management and tuning through the Holley Dominator ECM. Mahle pistons and rods along with a custom crank with either 24 or 58 tooth reluctor.

Will start in February or March.. stay tuned.. oh and porting/tune brought #473 to 373 rwhp at 6900 rpm!

looks nice !

Dominic Sorresso 12-20-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jss06c6 (Post 1598518994)
Believe there is at least one other LT-5 running on Holley.. my goal is to eliminate the CCM issues and drive gauges via CAN bus and gain better control of the engine with the Holley Dominator ECM. Will be building custom wire harness as well.

Steve,

So u will also be elimnating the ICM and providing spark w CnP. Is reluctor behind balancer or using balancer as reluctor also? I’ll be interested in seeing your resolution of the CCM issue.

jss06c6 12-20-2018 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso (Post 1598533166)

Steve,

So u will also be elimnating the ICM and providing spark w CnP. Is reluctor behind balancer or using balancer as reluctor also? I’ll be interested in seeing your resolution of the CCM issue.

Dominic,

Yes, will be eliminating the ICM. Not sure yet on the reluctor design yet. Will depend upon space and Holley requirements. Will be an interesting project for sure. Looks like the Garrett 25-660's with internal waste gates will nestle right up where the stock Cats sit..

Yes, want to get around the CCM issue as well. My son is very keen as it relates to complete ECM swaps, so it will be a great exercise for two mechanical engineers! He's much smarter than me so I'll be learning from him as we go.

Steve

-=Jeff=- 12-21-2018 09:11 AM

Steve,

Here is an email from Brett @ Automotion Classics they did a LT5 in a C3 with a Holley system

. Jeff,
Thanks for your interest in our LT5 Fuel injection upgrades. I have
approximately 200 hours in converting this engine to run the Holley
Stand-alone setup: While I could do it again in less time it's still a
mountain of work.

I removed the secondary intake butterflies and all associated parts
allowing the engine to run on all 16 injectors full-time. I got rid of
all the old system including the injector driver module.
The crank trigger is mounted to a custom Super Damper using a machined
hub that I designed and the crank sensor is mounted on a bracket I
built. I use the cam sensor reference signal but the computer must be
set for a very large offset in order to get the proper cam sync pulse
within the range Holley specifies for a later LS engine.

I am running 16 identical injectors but the computer thinks they're only
8 injectors with double the flow rating. I took two V8 injector
harnesses and wired them together.

I am also running 8 individual holley ignition coils and using a true
sequential system instead of the factory wasted spark setup with 4
coils. All eight coils are mounted on a custom bracket under the intake
plenum.
Good news is; Most of the sensors that holley requires are standard GM
sensors already on this engine.

This Holley setup should make plenty of additional power since it is
self-tuning, uses much higher resolution engine data from the crank
trigger, and has more spark energy / better fuel injectors.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional question.

Kind regards,

Brett Shank
Automotion Classics Inc.

518-852-2858
www.automotionclassics.com

jss06c6 12-21-2018 02:10 PM

Excellent info Jeff. Thanks for this!

Steve

ElisTwoCents 12-23-2018 12:58 AM

Killer work

What 3D printer do you have? Ive been learning solidworks and using cura for my prints(CR10 S5 and AnyCubic Mega I3)

jss06c6 12-26-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents (Post 1598549554)
Killer work

What 3D printer do you have? Ive been learning solidworks and using cura for my prints(CR10 S5 and AnyCubic Mega I3)

ElisTwoCents,

My son is the Solidworks expert. We will be sending my bezel out for scanning. He (my son) will then take the file and make the needed changes in Solidworks before we have it 3D printed. He has a friend that does the printing. Finishing up a Gen 5 Camaro bezel with provision for Holley display at this time. My ZR-1 bezel will be set up to accommodate the gauge layout I'm looking for..
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...156576c54.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7b9f10ce5.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7c56632df.jpeg

Rkreigh 12-27-2018 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by jss06c6 (Post 1598512638)

you had me at twin turbo, let's talk go back and search many of the old LPE TT threads. there are many new tricks that I would try including a 4.0 bore thick liner closed deck block with mls gaskets which are new

a megasquirt or holley can splice in to take the engine management away and leave much of the factory junk intact so you won't have as much worry

pooters is still stooopid thank goodness. I'd sure like to hack up a set of 93 95 manifolds and vband them for some nice turbos. Not familiar with that Garrett GTX 3576 turbos tied in to existing 3" SW combo but no doubt it will be enough

go with a front mount 58x reluctor and external sensor on the front balancer you don't need an exotic crank!! offset grind stocker for a small journal nice oliver rod and be done go shorter stroke if you like for a better rod angle and a bit longer rods with your custom pistons and you'll be money ahead, the factory crank is a pretty nice bit and hard to break. with those turbos you won't need the big displacement, think withstanding the cyl pressure and small displacement will still get the job done~!!

much past 1k hp I would wonder what the block will do but you may find out!!! LPE I believe pushed 1100 or so successfully

now with e85 I would think much more might be possible with the right setup

I'd like to tuck the turbos up in the gill panels, move the battery, and have the intakes right off the turbos inhaling through the gill panels

eliminates fishing all those pipes up front and allows the turbos to breath a bit better through a big flat panel air filter box

we'lve been playing with turbos on the c5s for a while and I've lust after the TT ZR-1 for a long time after riding in a few of them

they are a beauty!! let me know if you need help/advice Are you working with Corey? He's down your way.

jss06c6 12-31-2018 02:55 PM

Thanks for the input! First, this work is being done by my son and me. He is an experienced custom engine fabrication engineer, having designed and installed the first TT C5 setup under the heads as well as full custom setup in a ZL-1. Looks like we will be going with a siamesed set of Garrett G25-660's with integrated waste gates. These will easily hit out target of 700-750 rwhp, with boost coming in very quickly. All manifold and piping work will be custom designed, fabricated and installed. The turbos should tuck in nicely where the stock catalytic converters sit. Goal is COP, using Bosch P-50m coils, driven by the Holley Dominator ECM. We will also gain full control of all 16 injectors and eliminate the secondaries completely.

We can use the stock crank trigger with the Holley with their V5 software. Not sure we will need more than 9 interrupts. If so, we can adapt by installing reluctor behind the crank pulley.

Going to drive all gauges with the Holley (no ccm issues). The gauges will be mounted in a custom designed dash bezel. Wiring harnesses will be hand built, then "peg boarded".

Long project, but should be fun!

-=Jeff=- 12-31-2018 03:20 PM

Details on the Holley V5 system with the 9 tooth crank wheel

also interested in your dash design too

rudolph schenker 12-31-2018 04:25 PM

:lurk::lurk: