CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Hit & Run (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4223872-hit-and-run.html)

Corvette_Ed 12-20-2018 05:36 PM

Hit & Run

I took my daughter out to lunch today, and when we came out after eating found some asshat in a pickup had backed into my car and taken off. The really sh!tty thing is I just got the car out of the body shop a few weeks ago after having a bunch of front end damage repaired. It'll be going back to the Chevy dealer next week. The bumper is scratched and has a small dent in it that the shop guy caught, the spoiler was hit, which scratched the paint off of the rear edge of it, but also spider-webbed the paint on the top side. Based on the small dent they're also telling me there could be damage to the stuff behind the bumper. I'm just hoping it didn't hit the tub, and the shop is as well because I'd be looking at the car being in the shop for months while they looked for parts.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d4e5247a80.jpg
To give me an example of what would happen if the tub was damaged the shop manager took me back to look at a 2016 Stingray they had in there. This was all that was left intact after a rear end collision:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...330f2d15a4.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e1ead0ebf1.jpg

Bowtie Jim 12-20-2018 05:47 PM

I'd be so f"ing pissed . See if there is any surveillance cameras in the area

tcweidner 12-20-2018 06:53 PM

that sucks they just left, but the good news is that damage looks minor. I had someone back up ON MY HOOD. Crushed the front bumper, both headlights, fenders etc. They had good coverage so they paid the 14k in damages, all cosmetic. I upgraded things, all new parts, half the car was repainted as they blended all the way back to back fenders. Shop did an incredible job, its never looked better, and even haggling with insurance it only took 7 or 8 weeks to get her back to me. So if you dont have to haggle with insurance, it shouldnt take months and months. Best of luck. Every vette guy should have a great shop at the ready. My shop knows my car inside and out i've had them do so much.

Corvette_Ed 12-20-2018 06:58 PM

Looking at the picture I posted it's a little misleading. What looks like a scratch between the tail light and the stripes is actually just a reflection. The scratch is the long line just above the Corvette script. The impact area is about four inches tall, and just about the same width as the Corvette script. That's also where the dent is.

Vet Interested 12-20-2018 07:13 PM

Really sucks but damage wise it could have been much worse...which does not make you feel any better. Hit and run seems to have become an epidemic all over this country. At least you and your daughter are all right!

cmonkey713 12-20-2018 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed (Post 1598536957)
Looking at the picture I posted it's a little misleading. What looks like a scratch between the tail light and the stripes is actually just a reflection. The scratch is the long line just above the Corvette script. The impact area is about four inches tall, and just about the same width as the Corvette script. That's also where the dent is.

:iagree: The scratch should be fixable with little cost providing it doesn't go through the paint and into the panel material. The can't see the dent but it may pop out with a heat gun and a little work from the back side. Speaking of the back side, there is really nothing back there except a rear frame member that is pretty substantial. Pull the inboard tail light out and use an LED light and just take a look. Based on the appearance of the damage the fix should be fairly quick and easy.

Jstan2014 12-20-2018 08:25 PM

Good luck Ed. I hope all goes well with the repairs.

Corvette_Ed 12-20-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by cmonkey713 (Post 1598537218)
:iagree: The scratch should be fixable with little cost providing it doesn't go through the paint and into the panel material. The can't see the dent but it may pop out with a heat gun and a little work from the back side. Speaking of the back side, there is really nothing back there except a rear frame member that is pretty substantial. Pull the inboard tail light out and use an LED light and just take a look. Based on the appearance of the damage the fix should be fairly quick and easy.

I truly hope that's the case. I really don't want my car down for months like the owner of the C7 in the pics above is going to have to wait. It was in the shop for about a month and a half the last time, and I was within two days of my rental car insurance coverage limit when I finally picked it up.

Corvette_Ed 12-20-2018 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim (Post 1598536486)
I'd be so f"ing pissed . See if there is any surveillance cameras in the area

Believe me, I could chew iron and spit nails right now. :willy:

WICKEDFRC 12-20-2018 08:30 PM

It sucks when you think eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at home with your daughter is a safer day for the Vette. Sorry to see this.

I got lucky with my C5 when someone with a lifted truck backed up over my hood leaving about a 14" gash in the fiberglass and cracking my non-retractable DEPO headlamp. The guy was responsible and left me a note. Owned up to the damage and paid me the estimate without issue. It also helped he was an off-duty police officer with integrity too.

Hope you get this repaired to better than new!!

bartsky 12-20-2018 08:32 PM

I'm sure you will get it fixed good as new Ed...:thumbs:

tcweidner 12-20-2018 08:50 PM

looking at that c7 depending on body panel damage, that guy may never get that car back. Insurance companies are totaling car more and more all the time.

Corvette_Ed 12-20-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tcweidner (Post 1598537525)
looking at that c7 depending on body panel damage, that guy may never get that car back. Insurance companies are totaling car more and more all the time.

Everything you see laying behind the "car" is trash. It all has to be replaced.

Bruze 12-20-2018 09:01 PM

Wow, that sucks Ed.

Best to you, and hope it all works out in the end.

tcweidner 12-20-2018 09:01 PM

yeah, he is likely screwed, you'll likely be fine. Lots of air in the c6 corvettes butt, not much that cant be fixed back there.

Speed07 12-20-2018 09:24 PM

As soon as I saw the thread title, I was sick to my stomach. Rotten luck Ed. I hope it turns out better than new.

marinablu67 12-20-2018 09:48 PM

That's terrible! How do you know it was a pickup? If there was a witness, to bad they didn't get the plate number.

Ira T 12-20-2018 10:12 PM

Sorry about that, Ed. Good luck with the fix. Maybe what goes around comes around, and the other guy will find out what it feels like to be hit by someone who drives away!

GRCTampa 12-20-2018 10:14 PM

Tough break, hope everything gets fixed as good as new. Good luck with the repairs.

Corvette_Ed 12-20-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by marinablu67 (Post 1598537776)
That's terrible! How do you know it was a pickup? If there was a witness, to bad they didn't get the plate number.

That was based on the height of the impact, and the vehicles that were around the area I parked in when I first parked. It could be a SUV as well, but there weren't any around.