CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Vented Fuel Filler Cap Sprays Fuel... Put Fuel Cell Foam In Filler Neck? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/4224580-vented-fuel-filler-cap-sprays-fuel-put-fuel-cell-foam-in-filler-neck.html)

Over9K 12-23-2018 06:03 AM

Vented Fuel Filler Cap Sprays Fuel... Put Fuel Cell Foam In Filler Neck?

On spirited drives in twisties in the dunebuggy (rear engine/front fuel tank), I'm getting a mist of fuel on the windshield from the vented fuel cap spraying fuel, which has sloshed up the filler tube.

At first I figured it was the cap itself, because the one I had was old and the cork gasket had perished, and gone hard. I replaced with the correct cap, and I'm still having the problem.

The problem is the filler neck is short, only 7" or 8" inches, and it's 2" inner diameter, all the way down. Great for seeing the bottom of the tank, not so good for controlling fuel sloshing around.

Can I stuff a block of fuel cell foam in the filler neck? Is the tension of the foam trying to expand enough to keep it in place in the filler neck? Is there any reason this shouldn't work?

I'll have to pull it out to fill up, but that's better than fuel spraying everywhere.

Also, anybody got a brand they recommend? How much should I pay for the stuff? Prices seem to be all over the map, and gauging quality is difficult online.

Chevy Guy 12-25-2018 06:11 PM

How would you fill the tank with foam in the filler neck?

Better to put a baffled fuel cell in.

Over9K 12-25-2018 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Over9K (Post 1598549817)
On spirited drives in twisties in the dunebuggy (rear engine/front fuel tank), I'm getting a mist of fuel on the windshield from the vented fuel cap spraying fuel, which has sloshed up the filler tube.

At first I figured it was the cap itself, because the one I had was old and the cork gasket had perished, and gone hard. I replaced with the correct cap, and I'm still having the problem.

The problem is the filler neck is short, only 7" or 8" inches, and it's 2" inner diameter, all the way down. Great for seeing the bottom of the tank, not so good for controlling fuel sloshing around.

Can I stuff a block of fuel cell foam in the filler neck? Is the tension of the foam trying to expand enough to keep it in place in the filler neck? Is there any reason this shouldn't work?

I'll have to pull it out to fill up, but that's better than fuel spraying everywhere.

Also, anybody got a brand they recommend? How much should I pay for the stuff? Prices seem to be all over the map, and gauging quality is difficult online.

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy (Post 1598562910)
How would you fill the tank with foam in the filler neck?

Better to put a baffled fuel cell in.

I'm not having a custom fuel cell made, and they don't make one off the shelf for my application.

Chevy Guy 12-26-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Over9K (Post 1598563953)
I'm not having a custom fuel cell made, and they don't make one off the shelf for my application.

Missed the part where you said you would pull it out, I cant see why that wouldn't work. Make it tight enough so it cant slip down.

Racer86 12-31-2018 10:45 AM

Most all of the racing fuel cells I have used, have the fuel cell foam installed in the fuel cell. Also, we use a upside down check valve in the vent line. Just FYI