CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Oh! No! The windshield....1st C7 repair (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4225173-oh-no-the-windshield-1st-c7-repair.html)

hemistar1 12-25-2018 02:16 PM

Oh! No! The windshield....1st C7 repair

My 1st corvette..less than 300 miles I've put on it since I got it a week ago and then this happens...
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...787b242e3e.jpg
Cracked chipped c7
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...30c240bf3d.jpg
Rocky
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ea51f11951.jpg
Ugh! Charlie Brown
I believe I was the on the highway finishing Christmas shopping and a construction truck threw this up..

Of all the cars I've owned this is the first windshield chip..

I plan on checking out a neighborhood shop tommorow for estimate.It is about dime or nickel sized so hopefully a repair can fix and stop spread. Tsk tsk, more money more problems...

speedlink 12-25-2018 02:27 PM

Just let insurance handle it. There shouldn't be any deductible, and it will not affect your rates. Just make sure they use OEM glass! I've done it several times.

Merry Christmas

23/C8Z 12-25-2018 03:22 PM

yep.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

good time for anyone who doesn't know their own policy to check on it!!

mine is zero for glass including windshield.

hemistar1 12-25-2018 09:22 PM

Thanks speedlink..Ive got progressive and they referred me to safelite for an appointment tommorow..hopefully it can be repaired..I cleaned and detailed today but that chip is messing with my OCD.

wonka12_98 12-25-2018 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by speedlink (Post 1598562147)
Just let insurance handle it. There shouldn't be any deductible, and it will not affect your rates. Just make sure they use OEM glass! I've done it several times.

Merry Christmas

Why would you say that? MANY insurance companies have deductibles for glass replacement! It varies greatly.

MSG C5 12-25-2018 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by hemistar1 (Post 1598563595)
Thanks speedlink..Ive got progressive and they referred me to safelite for an appointment tommorow..hopefully it can be repaired..I cleaned and detailed today but that chip is messing with my OCD.

Safelite replaced the windshield in my C5 vert with an OEM HUD windshield. They did a great job and it's been fine for 5 years with no leaks, etc. Living in Florida, we get enough rain to test it out.

Regarding the deductible, I believe it is based on the state law. In Florida, there is no deductible for windshield repair or replacement regardless of the insurance company if you have full coverage.

Maxie2U 12-25-2018 10:30 PM

Many have written how soft the windshield is. Cracks very easy. I’m on my third windshield in 3 years.

Maxie2U 12-25-2018 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by speedlink (Post 1598562147)

Merry Christmas

“Most” insurance companies got rid of no deductible windshield replacements years ago.

LarryFL 12-25-2018 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by wonka12_98 (Post 1598563609)
Why would you say that? MANY insurance companies have deductibles for glass replacement! It varies greatly.

The windshield is part of the integrity of the car's structure. If it costs people to get it fixed (deductible, claim count), many won't bother. So its for the good of the insurance company to just pay it. I have also heard that some crappy policies don't cover it. As others have said, read the fine print, or call them up.

Vetteman Jack 12-25-2018 10:59 PM

Good luck with the repair. I know my insurance policy has a deductible for a full glass replacement, but zero for a chip repair.

bearphoto 12-26-2018 10:32 AM

Safelight glass co will come to your house or work and fix that easily, here in Az there is no cost to the car owner for this type of repair. If you don't get it fixed it will eventually crack and a windshield replacement on a corvette is not cheap unless you have full glass coverage.

hemistar1 12-26-2018 12:03 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1598563941)
Good luck with the repair. I know my insurance policy has a deductible for a full glass replacement, but zero for a chip repair.

I took it in to safelite and they did a repair cost 60.00 ..the tech kept saying it might not last..could last a few weeks or 6 months but not sure if it will spread..

I just added car to progressive insurance 13 days ago and they say I have coverage comprehensive and collision but are dragging their feet on giving me a straight answer. I read policy and I am covered no deductible for repair so I am expecting a full reimbursement.

They sent it to a "senior "adjuster to review so waiting...

Maxie2U 12-26-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by hemistar1 (Post 1598565770)
I took it in to safelite and they did a repair cost 60.00 ..the tech kept saying it might not last..could last a few weeks or 6 months but not sure if it will spread..

I just added car to progressive insurance 13 days ago and they say I have coverage comprehensive and collision but are dragging their feet on giving me a straight answer. I read policy and I am covered no deductible for repair so I am expecting a full reimbursement.

They sent it to a "senior "adjuster to review so waiting...

Time to get a real insurance company before you really need one.

MikeERWNC 12-26-2018 03:56 PM

Here in NC, the insurance company will punish you for filing a windshield claim. In FL is was no fault and the insurance gladly takes care of everything.
I would not claim a windshield on my insurance.
I did just look up how much it would cost and it is only 599.00 before taxes for my 2015 from Safelite.
Mine is sand blasted and I am considering replacing it.

lupicon 12-26-2018 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC (Post 1598567053)
Here in NC, the insurance company will punish you for filing a windshield claim. In FL is was no fault and the insurance gladly takes care of everything.
I did just look up how much it would cost and it is only 599.00 before taxes for my 2015 from Safelite.

Agree.
Looks like a small chip to me. If it's less than the size of a quarter is easily repairable.
Fixed mine for $16 in under an hour. No bs with insurance and perfect repair.

JoeD-C8 12-26-2018 07:51 PM

My 2 cents. Same situation, took to body shop. My ONLY instructions were OEM ONLY. Safelite in, body shop called they were attempting to install a w/s with bubbles in lamination. Told the stop and AGAIN reiterated OEM ONLY. Safelite back and AGAIN attempting to install another w/s with the same type defect. After telling Safelite to stop I ordered a OEM from my local dealer. I ran this by my adjuster who didn't agree with my conclusion that they must deal in factory seconds. Oh well. GM OEM ONLY!

Dcasole 12-26-2018 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC (Post 1598567053)

Mike that is simply not true at all, a windshield is covered under your comprehensive insurance which covers things that are not in your control such as a rock hitting your windshield or someone breaking into your car . Now making claims against your collision policy could result in higher rates especially if you are found at fault

Dave

Dcasole 12-26-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoeD-C7 (Post 1598568145)
My 2 cents. Same situation, took to body shop. My ONLY instructions were OEM ONLY. Safelite in, body shop called they were attempting to install a w/s with bubbles in lamination. Told the stop and AGAIN reiterated OEM ONLY. Safelite back and AGAIN attempting to install another w/s with the same type defect. After telling Safelite to stop I ordered a OEM from my local dealer. I ran this by my adjuster who didn't agree with my conclusion that they must deal in factory seconds. Oh well. GM OEM ONLY!

I can assure you that Safelite does not deal with factory seconds ....I can show you plenty of OEM windshields with the same defect that are caused by the Edge Grinding that is being done on this part

Dave

Dcasole 12-26-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1598563851)
Many have written how soft the windshield is. Cracks very easy. I’m on my third windshield in 3 years.

Maxie, Glass is Glass , there is not softer laminated glass or harder laminated glass . What there is ... is a higher chance of breakage caused by the aerodynamics and design of the vehicle . This is why everyone complains about the pitting of the glass on a Corvette because of the boundary layer of air that flows up over the hood carrying small particles that constantly slam into the glass , but it's not just a Corvette , A Ford pickup and a Jeep Wrangler are the number 1 and number 2 top sellers ..... ask a Ford Truck owner who puts miles on their truck how many windshields they have had installed .....

Dave

JoeD-C8 12-27-2018 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dcasole (Post 1598569090)
I can assure you that Safelite does not deal with factory seconds ....I can show you plenty of OEM windshields with the same defect that are caused by the Edge Grinding that is being done on this part

Dave

I can only speak to my experience. I won't even get into asking where their quality control is...............