CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Used Covette advice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4225530-used-covette-advice.html)

shineocd 12-26-2018 10:08 PM

Used Covette advice

Hello All,

As I said in my new member intro I will be buying my first Corvette. Looking very seriously at 2017 Torch Red GS 2LT with about 5300 miles on it. Still factory warranty remaining. I have bought used cars before but not a Vette. Anything i need to be looking for in particular? I know seems like fundamental question and I don't want to over think it but just want some expert advice. I have the Car Fax report. Looks good. One owner no reports of any issues on that document. Thank you in Advance for any advice or links you can provide.

devnull 12-26-2018 10:14 PM

Is it an auto or stick? What are they asking for it?

These cars are pretty solid. :thumbs:

MikeERWNC 12-26-2018 10:24 PM

Carfax is not always accurate.
Get the AutoCheck report also. The reports don't often match each other.
Both combined will give you the best info.

As long as you still have warranty, Chevy will take car of any issues you find.

shineocd 12-26-2018 10:25 PM

8spd Automatic, 2LT, IO6 radio with Navigation, GS chrome wheels, red calipers, HUD, black hash marks on the front fenders, etc. $59,900

devnull 12-26-2018 10:29 PM

Nice car. Get the service report and see if any trans work has been done (from the dealer). $60k is a little high, but not nuts considering it's low milage. I'd try to get them to $55k assuming all checks out.

I dig the black hashmarks (just ordered them for my car)!

xWS6guy 12-26-2018 10:35 PM

If you're concerned or just want to do full due diligence, consider having a professional inspect the car. I have had the same person inspect the last two cars I bought - both times he found everything I saw and he always finds more. I connected with this person when he was sent to inspect one the of cars I was selling - he found stuff I didn't know about and I had that car 8 years. He's done a very nice job and he charges $150. A full report, 100+ pictures, the works. Mine was the 7th C7 Z06 he had done this year.

A dealership shouldn't have an issue with you sending someone out. If they do, that's a red flag and you'll save $150. :) If you're buying private party, even more reason to get it done.

He was contracted out through Lemon Squad if you want to take a peek (though I have since hired him directly without issue).

shineocd 12-26-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1598569089)
Nice car. Get the service report and see if any trans work has been done (from the dealer). $60k is a little high, but not nuts considering it's low milage. I'd try to get them to $55k assuming all checks out.

I dig the black hashmarks (just ordered them for my car)!

Do i get the service report from the dealer? Can any dealer run t with a VIN#

devnull 12-26-2018 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by shineocd (Post 1598569133)
Do i get the service report from the dealer? Can any dealer run t with a VIN#

They should. I had one look it up for me and I didn't buy the car from them. :thumbs:

Looking forward to the pics!

Vetteman Jack 12-26-2018 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by xWS6guy (Post 1598569116)
If you're concerned or just want to do full due diligence, consider having a professional inspect the car. I have had the same person inspect the last two cars I bought - both times he found everything I saw and he always finds more. I connected with this person when he was sent to inspect one the of cars I was selling - he found stuff I didn't know about and I had that car 8 years. He's done a very nice job and he charges $150. A full report, 100+ pictures, the works. Mine was the 7th C7 Z06 he had done this year.

A dealership shouldn't have an issue with you sending someone out. If they do, that's a red flag and you'll save $150. :) If you're buying private party, even more reason to get it done.

He was contracted out through Lemon Squad if you want to take a peek (though I have since hired him directly without issue).

:iagree: Have the car thoroughly checked out and then talk a deal.

Sconn 12-26-2018 11:20 PM

Have you test driven the car yet? Everything check out okay there?
Just as a reference, I bought my TR '17 2lt GS w/1800 miles in Aug for $57,900. Stage 2 ground effects all around, no hash marks or red calipers.
Dealership would have let me walk if I hadn't taken it at that price.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cd35dfc7d4.jpg

R8Z51 12-26-2018 11:34 PM

Go over every single panel to make sure there is no damage. Take a peek underneath. Check the wheels for curb rash. Go to GM and ask for the service history and warranty status.

Skid Row Joe 12-26-2018 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by shineocd (Post 1598569076)
8spd Automatic, 2LT, IO6 radio with Navigation, GS chrome wheels, red calipers, HUD, black hash marks on the front fenders, etc. $59,900

Way too much money.

V Vette 12-27-2018 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1598569373)
Way too much money.

:iagree:

AORoads 12-27-2018 07:49 AM

If you've bought used cars before, even then, some of this is new. You've gotten great, wise suggestions from above like: get Carfax, get AutoCheck, get GM's own, vin-supplied internal report called VIS for free, have an indie mechanic/technician go over the car who knows Corvettes-at your expense, drive it. Don't be afraid to go outside of your 25 mile radius, but be prepared to pay someone to check it out thoroughly as said above. Digital pics of every panel, every part of interior, under car if possible are really cheap---costs nothing---before you make a 50+ mile trip, plus a conversation or two.

If you've just come on here, do an advanced search in red bar and put in key words for buying used and what to look for---no matter how many responses you get on this thread, in the last year there've been hundreds on all the other threads combined. No such thing as knowing too much for $59K or even a little less, which I agree would be more appropriate. IMO you're not quite ready to be talking price, or deciding what's reasonable or not until you know a bit more.

Good luck; tell us what you wind up with even if it's a couple months down the road.:yesnod:

Jackie Chan 12-27-2018 08:12 AM

There are a few 2019 company cars out there very similar in price. I have 2 of then. Those are the deal right now. The one you are looking at is reasonable but overpriced if it's not cpo or has more equipment than you listed

roadbike56 12-27-2018 08:21 AM

OP, you did not say if the yellow GS is used or certified. There is a difference and not just the extended warranty. I bought a GM certified used C7, Z51. The dealer knew the complete history of the car (beyond the service report which I also obtained). They knew why the car was traded after less than 2 years. That kind of confidence makes a difference.
My only concern with a GS is the bent wheel issue. A fellow Corvette club member obtained a new GS last year. In one year he's had a bent wheel. Others here have discussed this concern.
IMHO, for $59,900, I'd be looking at new even if it meant buying a Stingray. If you decide to go that route, be sure to remember the GS has magnetic ride control as standard equipment. It is not standard on the Stingray, even with the Z51 option. IMHO, you don't need mag ride with a base C7, but with Z51, it makes a difference.
Best of luck with your search. Put the time into it because buying a C7 Corvette is absolutely worth it. Best car I've ever owned.

dvilin 12-27-2018 08:29 AM

Definitely need to negotiate the price, way too high.

shineocd 12-27-2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1598569901)
If you've bought used cars before, even then, some of this is new. You've gotten great, wise suggestions from above like: get Carfax, get AutoCheck, get GM's own, vin-supplied internal report called VIS for free, have an indie mechanic/technician go over the car who knows Corvettes-at your expense, drive it. Don't be afraid to go outside of your 25 mile radius, but be prepared to pay someone to check it out thoroughly as said above. Digital pics of every panel, every part of interior, under car if possible are really cheap---costs nothing---before you make a 50+ mile trip, plus a conversation or two.

If you've just come on here, do an advanced search in red bar and put in key words for buying used and what to look for---no matter how many responses you get on this thread, in the last year there've been hundreds on all the other threads combined. No such thing as knowing too much for $59K or even a little less, which I agree would be more appropriate. IMO you're not quite ready to be talking price, or deciding what's reasonable or not until you know a bit more.

Good luck; tell us what you wind up with even if it's a couple months down the road.:yesnod:

Can I walk into any GM dealer and get the VIS with just the VIN number?

LarryFL 12-27-2018 09:50 AM

Ideally, you want a private sale, from a fanatical owner, hopefully a garage queen. If you cannot find a private sale, then do a nationwide CarMax and AutoNation search for what you are looking for. Those are the upper limit of what yo would pay at a dealer. Look for local dealers selling cheaper than those.

shineocd 12-27-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by LarryFL (Post 1598570452)
Ideally, you want a private sale, from a fanatical owner, hopefully a garage queen. If you cannot find a private sale, then do a nationwide CarMax and AutoNation search for what you are looking for. Those are the upper limit of what yo would pay at a dealer. Look for local dealers selling cheaper than those.

I'll keep my eyes open for a private seller or a seller here on the forum as well. Thanks