CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Just got my Range AFM (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4226138-just-got-my-range-afm.html)

jversluis 12-28-2018 06:11 PM

Just got my Range AFM

Hey all those with a Range device. Just got mine and looking forward to trying it out soon. Any input from the gallery or hints would be great!
Hoping for a smoother A8! As my tranny is okay except when going in and out of V4. Very annoying!

Happy New Year all vette fillies

Dcasole 12-28-2018 09:33 PM

Just plug it in and enjoy ..

Dave

TXSteveF 12-28-2018 09:34 PM

Just plug it in and go. In the beginning I unplugged it when I got out of the car fearing battery drain. That is not an issue so it stays plugged in and the car shifts and runs great. This is an awesome mod for sure. You should love it.

Mr. Bear 12-28-2018 10:14 PM

Just ordered one for my 16 Ray. Anxiously awaiting its arrival.

bjones7131 12-28-2018 11:24 PM

Range

YEA just plug and play. Had mine about 6 months, never take it out but I use tender all the time. U will like it.

Kevin A Jones 12-28-2018 11:54 PM

Same here, installed it 6-8 months ago and been in ever since with no issues.

Walt White Coupe 12-29-2018 01:00 AM

So people say it doesn't drain the battery. But they have the battery on a tender. Duh. I blamed mine for battery drain, removed and sold it. This is what "Range" has to say about battery drain.

Directly from the Range website (link at bottom):

Testing has shown that the Range Device has a very small battery draw when the vehicle is off and in "sleep" mode. This is because it needs a monitor running to catch when the vehicle is started. This small draw is not enough to adversely affect battery life or drain the battery unless left in place for an extended period of time (i.e. more than a week or two).

Our testing has shown that in the normal vehicle, it shouldn't affect vehicle starting for several weeks HOWEVER very cold or very hot weather can drastically reduce battery capacity, as well as any other accessories or modules in the vehicle that stay "awake" with the key off. Many security systems, aftermarket radios, plug in phone chargers and so on may also have a slight drain when not in use, so best practice is to unplug the MDS Manager when you know the vehicle is going to be sitting without starting or driving for several days.

To add some more detail:
  1. The device will go to a VERY low "sleep" state after the engine is off (within 3-10 seconds of the engine shutting off)
  2. In this state all the LEDs are OFF and it hibernates at about 1-3mA
  3. Every 7-25 seconds it will wake up to a "light sleep" state to check to see if the vehicle is running. In this mode, there will still be NO LEDS lit but current draw will spike for < 0.1 sec to about 7-10mA.
  4. If the vehicle is NOT running (i.e. RPM < 500) then it'll go back to deep sleep. Rinse and repeat until the vehicle is running, at which time it'll fire up completely and you'll start seeing LEDs light again.
Given this and the normal draw from other modules (a modern vehicle will always have a small draw for the security systems, BCM, remote start/locks, OnStar, etc. .. sometimes as much a 50mA), it is recommended to reduce the risk of battery depletion by unplugging the module when the vehicle is going to be sitting for an extended period. Cold weather, weak charge state, age, etc. can all contribute to less battery capacity.A healthy battery with decent capacity should be able to go much longer than the recommended length of time but it worth it not to come out from a 3 week vacation and find the battery dead in the airport parking lot!

https://rangetechnology.zendesk.com/...5-Battery-Draw

mountainears 12-29-2018 04:20 AM

I've had mine for a long time. Always leave it plugged in. I don't drive my car a ton and it has sat for a month plugged in and I have not seen any battery drain issue (without the trickle charger). If you are not driving your car for more than a month you should have the charger plugged in anyway. So in my book totally a non-issue on the battery drain.

bbjohn 12-29-2018 06:12 AM

No battery drain with version 8.6.

Walt White Coupe 12-29-2018 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bbjohn (Post 1598582279)
No battery drain with version 8.6.

So you know more about the device than the manufacturer????

Dcasole 12-29-2018 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1598582394)
So you know more about the device than the manufacturer????

Walt , I know u sold yours for fear of having a dead battery but the problem with the original Range units was with the way the Range pinged the CAMBUS to find out if the car was running.

Range has changed this and the battery draw is much less than other factory equipment that constantly pings the cambus ....

There are many of us who leave our cars unattended for long periods of time and do not have any issues.

With all that said , Range Device or not if you leave your car for an extended period of time without a trickle charger you will return to a dead battery

Dave

MikeERWNC 12-29-2018 07:52 AM

If it starts throwing Check Engine lights. Remove while driving and pull the codes then contact Range.
By default Range clears all codes at restart. But if you get codes while driving, there might be a problem with your unit.

How does he know this? :banghead:

Walt White Coupe 12-29-2018 07:54 AM

Just one more time, what I quoted from the Range Website is on the site right now. Apparently, they reduced the problem with their latest update but did not eliminate it, according to them.

Walt White Coupe 12-29-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC (Post 1598582470)
If it starts throwing Check Engine lights. Remove while driving and pull the codes then contact Range.
By default Range clears all codes at restart. But if you get codes while driving, there might be a problem with your unit.

How does he know this? :banghead:

If you are talking to me, I saw no Check Engine Lights or codes in the month that I used the device.

Pic below is a pic of the box that the Range device came in. Note the bottom IMPORTANT warning.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...595b20981b.jpg

Spice red Ed 12-29-2018 08:21 AM

I have been using my unit for at least six months, car battery is three years old, never on a charger and I have had no problems with the unit running the battery down even if the car sits for a week.

bbjohn 12-29-2018 08:25 AM

"So you know more about the device than the manufacturer???? "

I had a previous version that would drain the battery in a few days. Had it updated by Range (8.6) and now can leave the car for several weeks and it starts right up.

And no, I don't know more about the device than the manufacturer.

Since it probably uses some power I will change my statement to: No SIGNIFICANT battery drain with version 8.6. :cheers:

Dcasole 12-29-2018 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spice red Ed (Post 1598582553)
I have been using my unit for at least six months, car battery is three years old, never on a charger and I have had no problems with the unit running the battery down even if the car sits for a week.

Same here , I also have never got a CEL , I think that was addressed at the same time they changed how it pings the CAMBUS
As far as the warnings on the box and the web site , I am sure they are leftover from the older versions and also a CYA
There are thousands of the new devices out there as it works for every V8 GM that has AFM/DOD and with this many out there are am sure there would be some scathing reviews which there are not...

just look at how many reported on here no problems with the latest release
Dave

javenius 12-29-2018 09:07 AM

I have a 2019 Grand Sport A8 with just over 1000 miles now. No shudder issues or RPM surges to date but I plan to purchase the Range device soon. Does anyone know if the Range device will positively impact the hard 1-2 shift on the first shift of the day?

Thanks
Jim

Dcasole 12-29-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by javenius (Post 1598582690)
I have a 2019 Grand Sport A8 with just over 1000 miles now. No shudder issues or RPM surges to date but I plan to purchase the Range device soon. Does anyone know if the Range device will positively impact the hard 1-2 shift on the first shift of the day?

Thanks
Jim

Jim the Range just prevents the motor from going into 4 cylinder mode and has nothing to do with the way it shifts other than the torque converter no longer goes in and out of lock up mode when AFM kicks in and out

Dave

NSC5 12-29-2018 10:15 AM

Thanks
Jim

Jim,

To avoid the first hard 1 to 2 shift, after you start the car with it still stationary paddle up to second and then back to first. This takes care of slow initial fill of the engaging clutch pack used for engaging second gear. Not sure why GM hasn't done this in software to do a partial pre-fill of this clutch pack at startup since the transmission is now in its fourth model year and showing the same issue now as it did in initial production. My 2001 GMC pickup with Allison transmission was the first clutch to clutch automatic I owned and it had an issue with slow fill of one of its much larger clutch pack actuators, Allison (which was still part of GM back then) quickly updated the software to cure the issue by doing a partial prefill after cold start.

MikeERWNC 12-29-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1598583000)
Jim,

To avoid the first hard 1 to 2 shift, after you start the car with it still stationary paddle up to second and then back to first. This takes care of slow initial fill of the engaging clutch pack used for engaging second gear. Not sure why GM hasn't done this in software to do a partial pre-fill of this clutch pack at startup since the transmission is now in its fourth model year and showing the same issue now as it did in initial production. My 2001 GMC pickup with Allison transmission was the first clutch to clutch automatic I owned and it had an issue with slow fill of one of its much larger clutch pack actuators, Allison (which was still part of GM back then) quickly updated the software to cure the issue by doing a partial prefill after cold start.

To avoid the hard shifts - Take your car to the dealership and have the computer flashed to the newest version. All shifting issues go away.
Don't read all of the stupid crap on this forum about having to replace the stator. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...97193-2280.pdf

Ryan Daychak 12-29-2018 11:24 AM

Can someone tell me what the benifits are of installing a range AFM? I have a 2019 manual lt1 stingray if that matters?

I tried doing a search button really didn't come up with a list of pros and cons to installing this device.

NSC5 12-29-2018 11:35 AM

Ryan,
With the manual transmission you don't need a Range module. With the automatic transmission the AFM system (switches to V4 under light load) is active in all driver modes and chews up the torque converter clutch; with your M7 transmission AFM is only active if you select eco mode and GM hasn't tried modulating a regular clutch yet so your clutch is safe, at least from GM :)

And that service bulletin referenced above is for "garage shifts" that occur with initial engagement from park and not the rough initial first to second shift due to slow fill of the clutch pack actuator. I am confident the poster's 2019 does have the updated software but the 8L90 is far from fixed as we await the next chapter in shudder band aid fixes due out next quarter.

jversluis 12-29-2018 11:36 AM

you only need it for A8 trannys. Keeps the auto from going into V4 mode

Ryan Daychak 12-29-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jversluis (Post 1598583428)
you only need it for A8 trannys. Keeps the auto from going into V4 mode

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1598583426)
Ryan,
With the manual transmission you don't need a Range module. With the automatic transmission the AFM system (switches to V4 under light load) is active in all driver modes and chews up the torque converter clutch; with your M7 transmission AFM is only active if you select eco mode and GM hasn't tried modulating a regular clutch yet so your clutch is safe, at least from GM :)

And that service bulletin referenced above is for "garage shifts" that occur with initial engagement from park and not the rough initial first to second shift due to slow fill of the clutch pack actuator. I am confident the poster's 2019 does have the updated software but the 8L90 is far from fixed as we await the next chapter in shudder band aid fixes due out next quarter.

Thanks so much for clarifying

Kevin A Jones 12-29-2018 01:20 PM

I have a 2019 Grand Sport A8 with just over 1000 miles now. No shudder issues or RPM surges to date but I plan to purchase the Range device soon. Does anyone know if the Range device will positively impact the hard 1-2 shift on the first shift of the day?Thanks
Jim

All I can say is what I've personally experienced with my '17 GS which shifted hard at first shift from 1st to 2nd especially during cool weather.
I have not experienced the hard shift at all since installing my range. Some may say something else fixed the issue which may be true however the exact timing makes me believe otherwise.
I guess I could remove the range to see if hard shift returns, however it shifts so good now I don't want to remove it unless I have to.

Rebel Yell 12-29-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jversluis (Post 1598580086)
Hey all those with a Range device. Just got mine and looking forward to trying it out soon. Any input from the gallery or hints would be great!
Hoping for a smoother A8! As my tranny is okay except when going in and out of V4. Very annoying!

Happy New Year all vette fillies

You're gonna like it, and the car's gonna like it too. :yesnod:

Just plug, and play. As far as battery drain I have no idea as my car is on a maintainer 100% of the time it's not being driven. Anyone that's owned a C6 understands this is a habit necessitated by the battery drain that comes standard with the C6. :)

Yoggi 12-29-2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1598582479)
If you are talking to me, I saw no Check Engine Lights or codes in the month that I used the device.

Pic below is a pic of the box that the Range device came in. Note the bottom IMPORTANT warning.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...595b20981b.jpg

I talked to the lady at Range before I bought mine about six months ago. She told me that although they had updated the software on the unit they had not updated to new boxes. Therefore the warning was for the old version.

i can't attest to whether the device drains the battery or not. I keep my car on the battery tender if not driving it regularly.

bassmobile 12-29-2018 11:48 PM

Got mine on Friday and plugged it in. Not much to report other then no more V4 mode!

Rebel Yell 12-30-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by bassmobile (Post 1598587311)
Got mine on Friday and plugged it in. Not much to report other then no more V4 mode!

"Nothing" to report is a good thing. Before the Range I reported a shudder when the engine switched back into V8 mode. That was stopped by the Range, and as an added plus it also smoothed out the shifts.

rmorin1249 12-30-2018 03:54 PM

Since installing my Range about 18 months ago, the car is a pleasure to drive especially around town where it used to constantly shift in and out of V4 mode. Now it stays in V8 all the time. Gas mileage is slightly reduced but not enough to make a significant difference at the pump. Can't believe that GM thinks putting AFM on a car like Corvette is worth the slight increase in CAFE mileage. Just sell more Sonics and Sparks!

jversluis 12-30-2018 04:33 PM

put mine in today and took an afternoon spin in the 40 degree sunny day here in ohio. Wow what a diff this Range makes in my car and tranny. Smooth no more searching for v8 or v4, the slight shudder is gone and no more weird shifting. This is well worth the money spent. Best mod ever. Now this A8 is a dream! Checked the mileage on highway at 72 and was running between 26.2-27mpg. who cares about mileage, its a vette and I didn't buy it for mpg. Any car with 465 ponies and gets 25mpg that's great!

FunDriver 12-31-2018 03:05 AM

Have had Range unit for several months and no battery problems even when not started (or on a tender) for a week and a half. However, if I know it's going to be a week or two without starting I try to remember to put it on the tender.

Ericm1949 12-31-2018 06:31 PM

After reading a number of posts on this subject I went ahead a purchased a unit for my ‘16 A8. I have had no torque converter issues either before or after the install. I also bought one for my ‘18 Escalade even though I could detect no difference when it changed from V8 to V4 and back again. The fuel mileage difference is of no concern to me for these type of vehicles. However, I do remove them when the vehicles go into the shop for any warranty work.

dataporter 12-31-2018 10:39 PM

I had a 2014 M7 Z51 and when I put it in Eco mode so that it would use AFM it was VERY noticeable when the car went from V8 to V4 and vice versa. A jerky feeling like a lot of the bad spots on any California highway.

I have had my 2019 GS A8 for just a few days but I can not even tell that it is going from V8 to V4 to V8 unless I put in on the DIC where you can see it!

I was going to buy the Ranger AFM before I got the new car, becauses of my experience in the 2014, now I'm not so sure ... Time will tell.

Dcasole 12-31-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dataporter (Post 1598598605)
I had a 2014 M7 Z51 and when I put it in Eco mode so that it would use AFM it was VERY noticeable when the car went from V8 to V4 and vice versa. A jerky feeling like a lot of the bad spots on any California highway.

I have had my 2019 GS A8 for just a few days but I can not even tell that it is going from V8 to V4 to V8 unless I put in on the DIC where you can see it!

I was going to buy the Ranger AFM before I got the new car, becauses of my experience in the 2014, now I'm not so sure ... Time will tell.

Do it now before you have a problem .... otherwise it will be to late once u feel the surging , your converter is new that's why it feels ok ....

Dave

Mr. Bear 12-31-2018 11:48 PM

Just received my AFM this morning & immediately installed it, then ran some errands, driving a total of 70ish miles. No problems as the car felt much smoother & gas mileage was decent. Perhaps if I drive to the shore which is a relatively flat drive, I might experiment by removing the unit, but so far, so good. The car doesn't feel like it's hunting for the correct mode anymore.

16 Sting Ray Coupe, A8

NSC5 01-01-2019 09:05 AM

I would leave the Range in place even for those long drives. The entire time you let your engine run in V4 mode it is constantly modulating the torque converter lockup clutch creating wear and hastening the day that you will have to deal with shudder issues.

javenius 01-01-2019 10:18 PM

Ok, as stated above, i have not experienced any shudder yet and I have just ordered my Range device.

Assuming I do not experience any issues with running in V8 mode all of the time, should I get my trans fluid changed to the new upcoming formula "sooner than later" as preventative maintenance?

Thanks
Jim

beaversstonehaven 01-01-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by javenius (Post 1598604000)
Ok, as stated above, i have not experienced any shudder yet and I have just ordered my Range device.

Assuming I do not experience any issues with running in V8 mode all of the time, should I get my trans fluid changed to the new upcoming formula "sooner than later" as preventative maintenance?

Thanks
Jim

I did and I felt like my transmission shifted yet even better. $380,00 for the flush,

jversluis 01-02-2019 07:16 AM

If your using the range, fluid change won't hurt but might not make any difference. Fluid change was to help with shutter issues and since it's not going in and out of v4 with the range device probably doesn't matter. I would wait and see what Gm comes out with for latest update. There are a lot of cars out there with factory fluid and the fluid is not causing the issues as far as we know

Walt White Coupe 01-02-2019 07:40 AM

I would recommend getting the fluid changed. The Range device, contrary to what some believe here, does nothing to alter how the transmission shifts. The new fluid makes a major change in how smooth the transmission shifts.

beaversstonehaven 01-02-2019 08:22 AM

The reason I went ahead and changed my fluid after the Range device was installed was that I already had over 60,000 miles on the car and was starting to develop a very mild shutter. That went away after the flush. I now leave the Range device in at all times. I thought it was beneficial and it was due for a change anyway.

bjones7131 01-02-2019 10:49 AM

I think the TC clutch still functions even with the range but just not as active, could be wrong but don't think so. If my assumption is correct the fluid change would be a good thing. If GM want do mine under warranty even though I have no issues and use the range device I would pay the 380.00 for piece of mind. The local chevy dealers in my area are clueless on the TC and Mag Ride upgrade and famous Warble problem so little hesitant to have them do anything except free oil changes and watch like a hawk. We keep hearing about a TSB coming in 2019 with a TC fix but not holding my breath.

speed4tu 01-02-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1598583426)
Ryan,
With the automatic transmission the AFM system (switches to V4 under light load) is active in all driver modes and chews up the torque converter clutch;

This is all not totally true. I have had a Range in my '16 A8 since new and now at 12K miles my torque converter is toast. Had the triple flush already, as expected had no effect on the issues. Waiting until I get 200 miles on it to return for another torque converter to be installed. So it's not solely the V4 mode causing the failures. At least not in my case

bjones7131 01-02-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by speed4tu (Post 1598606182)
This is all not totally true. I have had a Range in my '16 A8 since new and now at 12K miles my torque converter is toast. Had the triple flush already, as expected had no effect on the issues. Waiting until I get 200 miles on it to return for another torque converter to be installed. So it's not solely the V4 mode causing the failures. At least not in my case

Agree that TC is still active with range but not as much. They quit doing the 3flush and now do a one flush, (so I am told or read) and blow out the lines and put in the NEW fluid. We will see what the new fix brings that is coming. Good luck with fix.

NSC5 01-02-2019 06:36 PM

There are other causes of shudder besides a bad converter clutch but because this is such a common issue with 8L45/8L90 equipped vehicles very few dealer techs actually follow the TSB to test that the clutch is at fault. If there is another problem with power delivery, the new converter won't fix the problem. GM's own TSB calls for the tech to test the converter in all three modes (command unlocked, command locked, and normal) and if the shudder is still present in the unlocked or locked modes then the fault lies outside the converter lockup clutch. It is also possible that your converter clutch was simply defective from the start and neither magic fluid nor protection from the clutch eating AFM behavior would have made a difference.

Even without AFM, there are going to be transmission defects in normal production but this combination of AFM plus "squashed converter" has created such a huge issue that every problem that in any way matches the converter clutch shudder will be blamed on it by the tech resulting in a longer path for the customer to get the problem actually resolved if it isn't the issue addressed in the multiple TSBs that continue to be released as GM searches for a cheap way to bury this design fault.

kensredvette2 01-04-2019 02:26 PM

TSB's, Ranges, and ATF's
Overall, my A8 does not have the shudder issue. But it did have some seemingly rough shifting patterns in some situations. It also has the usual annoying hesitation/hunting caused by the AFM/V4 mode.

TSB's - I was holding off with the Range until I heard more details about the new 18-NA-355 TSB. With what is known so far, that TSB turns out to be limited to a fluid change (again) with (another) new fluid part number. I was hoping for a GM reprogram to avoid V4 except when in ECO/Weather like the M7. Sigh....

Range - So I acquired a Range and put it in today. My experience is much like the others - very noticeable improvement in hesitations on throttle tip-in and overall much smoother operation. As observed by many - the range device offers distinct improvements. Importantly, I could now separate tranny shift issues from AFM problems! With the Range, there are still a couple of minor blips in my A8, such as a sometimes noticeable downshift when arriving at a stop sign/light. But this problem was much worse when new.. which leads me to ATF.

ATF - My A8 has had 2 separate DIY fluid changes about 1000 miles apart with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP as recommended in the GM TSB 16-NA-175. (Mobil part number 122210). The fluid level check was carefully followed each time. Each change smoothed out the shifting and smoothness of the tranny.
I may be wrong, but I do have this opinion - - Changing out the original factory fluid with the Mobil 122210 LV ATF HP or the newer version (whatever that number may be) does no harm and can do quite a bit of good. The 'good' part is the possibility of smoother shifting operation and a preventative measure against future shudder problems. Even if the shifting is unchanged, the fresh fluid would seem to be a wise move given the A8 problems.
I will be considering a THIRD change if the reports for this 'new' fluid are positive.
If you have ever watched the video showing what it takes to do a TC/Tranny replacement, then you may have shuddered more than the A8 ever has!!! You just don't want that to have to happen.

bjones7131 01-04-2019 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by kensredvette2 (Post 1598620704)
TSB's, Ranges, and ATF's
Overall, my A8 does not have the shudder issue. But it did have some seemingly rough shifting patterns in some situations. It also has the usual annoying hesitation/hunting caused by the AFM/V4 mode.

TSB's - I was holding off with the Range until I heard more details about the new 18-NA-355 TSB. With what is known so far, that TSB turns out to be limited to a fluid change (again) with (another) new fluid part number. I was hoping for a GM reprogram to avoid V4 except when in ECO/Weather like the M7. Sigh....

Range - So I acquired a Range and put it in today. My experience is much like the others - very noticeable improvement in hesitations on throttle tip-in and overall much smoother operation. As observed by many - the range device offers distinct improvements. Importantly, I could now separate tranny shift issues from AFM problems! With the Range, there are still a couple of minor blips in my A8, such as a sometimes noticeable downshift when arriving at a stop sign/light. But this problem was much worse when new.. which leads me to ATF.

ATF - My A8 has had 2 separate DIY fluid changes about 1000 miles apart with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP as recommended in the GM TSB 16-NA-175. (Mobil part number 122210). The fluid level check was carefully followed each time. Each change smoothed out the shifting and smoothness of the tranny.
I may be wrong, but I do have this opinion - - Changing out the original factory fluid with the Mobil 122210 LV ATF HP or the newer version (whatever that number may be) does no harm and can do quite a bit of good. The 'good' part is the possibility of smoother shifting operation and a preventative measure against future shudder problems. Even if the shifting is unchanged, the fresh fluid would seem to be a wise move given the A8 problems.
I will be considering a THIRD change if the reports for this 'new' fluid are positive.
If you have ever watched the video showing what it takes to do a TC/Tranny replacement, then you may have shuddered more than the A8 ever has!!! You just don't want that to have to happen.

You mentioned 2 DIY fluid changes, did u do it or someone else, care to share cost. Thanks

kensredvette2 01-04-2019 10:27 PM

I did the changes - about $120 for fluid, filter, and gasket.

javenius 01-05-2019 03:51 PM

My Range device arrived a couple of days ago and I plugged it in right away to confirm the version number. Got to take her out for a ride today in our unseasonably warm 45 degree sunny day. Went about 20 miles on local and expressway traffic. Ran great and it did seem to upshift and downshift more smoothly. No error codes. Happy camper.

dataporter 01-08-2019 11:17 PM

My Range arrived yesterday and I installed it today. I drove the car to work and back and really didn't feel any difference. I did watch and I did see that it never went into V4 mode.
I had a 2014 M7 and I maybe put it in ECO mode half a dozen times in 4 years, so I feel like why should my A8 go into V4 every time I lift the throttle?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone pulled the Range out while driving?

Dcasole 01-09-2019 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by dataporter (Post 1598648899)
Just out of curiosity, has anyone pulled the Range out while driving?

Why in the world would you want to do that ? I have to believe that it cant be good ..
Do you shut your laptop down by pulling out the battery ...?
Dave

NSC5 01-09-2019 07:29 AM

I can't think of a good reason to pull it out while driving but it shouldn't hurt anything.

The earlier version sometimes caused a CEL at startup (loss of communications between ECM and TCM DTC set) and Range set it up so that if you unplugged and plugged the Range in while the car was running it would clear the CEL. When I had the earlier version in my Z06 I used an OBD II extension cable with integrated power switch and turned the Range on after the car was running, a lot of us used that method to avoid the communications error but it isn't needed with the current Range software revision.

Patman 01-09-2019 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jversluis (Post 1598580086)

What year is your car? My 2018 has nearly seemless transitions between V4 and V8 mode.

Dcasole 01-09-2019 07:41 AM

Right , but if you unplug a range that has NOT tripped the CEL because of loss of communication with the CAMBUS you surely will cause a CEL
With the old range device it was not recommended to switch it off or unplug it to clear a CEL while running , what the firmware did after a few revisions was if you shut the car off and then restarted it it would clear any CEL tripped as part of the boot up .....

capehorn3 01-10-2019 09:19 AM

Where are you folks buying these?

TXSteveF 01-10-2019 09:21 AM

Range Technology.com

Dcasole 01-10-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by capehorn3 (Post 1598656553)
Where are you folks buying these?

Directly from Range , that way you know you have the latest firmware and you are not buying from some unauthorized seller

They ship fast !!
Dave

orca1946 01-10-2019 11:57 AM

I will be looking into buying mine when it gets warmer around Chicagoland.