CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Just got my Range AFM (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4226138-just-got-my-range-afm.html)

MikeERWNC 12-29-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1598583000)
Jim,

To avoid the first hard 1 to 2 shift, after you start the car with it still stationary paddle up to second and then back to first. This takes care of slow initial fill of the engaging clutch pack used for engaging second gear. Not sure why GM hasn't done this in software to do a partial pre-fill of this clutch pack at startup since the transmission is now in its fourth model year and showing the same issue now as it did in initial production. My 2001 GMC pickup with Allison transmission was the first clutch to clutch automatic I owned and it had an issue with slow fill of one of its much larger clutch pack actuators, Allison (which was still part of GM back then) quickly updated the software to cure the issue by doing a partial prefill after cold start.

To avoid the hard shifts - Take your car to the dealership and have the computer flashed to the newest version. All shifting issues go away.
Don't read all of the stupid crap on this forum about having to replace the stator. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...97193-2280.pdf

Ryan Daychak 12-29-2018 11:24 AM

Can someone tell me what the benifits are of installing a range AFM? I have a 2019 manual lt1 stingray if that matters?

I tried doing a search button really didn't come up with a list of pros and cons to installing this device.

NSC5 12-29-2018 11:35 AM

Ryan,
With the manual transmission you don't need a Range module. With the automatic transmission the AFM system (switches to V4 under light load) is active in all driver modes and chews up the torque converter clutch; with your M7 transmission AFM is only active if you select eco mode and GM hasn't tried modulating a regular clutch yet so your clutch is safe, at least from GM :)

And that service bulletin referenced above is for "garage shifts" that occur with initial engagement from park and not the rough initial first to second shift due to slow fill of the clutch pack actuator. I am confident the poster's 2019 does have the updated software but the 8L90 is far from fixed as we await the next chapter in shudder band aid fixes due out next quarter.

jversluis 12-29-2018 11:36 AM

you only need it for A8 trannys. Keeps the auto from going into V4 mode

Ryan Daychak 12-29-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jversluis (Post 1598583428)
you only need it for A8 trannys. Keeps the auto from going into V4 mode

Originally Posted by NSC5 (Post 1598583426)
Ryan,
With the manual transmission you don't need a Range module. With the automatic transmission the AFM system (switches to V4 under light load) is active in all driver modes and chews up the torque converter clutch; with your M7 transmission AFM is only active if you select eco mode and GM hasn't tried modulating a regular clutch yet so your clutch is safe, at least from GM :)

And that service bulletin referenced above is for "garage shifts" that occur with initial engagement from park and not the rough initial first to second shift due to slow fill of the clutch pack actuator. I am confident the poster's 2019 does have the updated software but the 8L90 is far from fixed as we await the next chapter in shudder band aid fixes due out next quarter.

Thanks so much for clarifying

Kevin A Jones 12-29-2018 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by javenius (Post 1598582690)
I have a 2019 Grand Sport A8 with just over 1000 miles now. No shudder issues or RPM surges to date but I plan to purchase the Range device soon. Does anyone know if the Range device will positively impact the hard 1-2 shift on the first shift of the day?Thanks
Jim

All I can say is what I've personally experienced with my '17 GS which shifted hard at first shift from 1st to 2nd especially during cool weather.
I have not experienced the hard shift at all since installing my range. Some may say something else fixed the issue which may be true however the exact timing makes me believe otherwise.
I guess I could remove the range to see if hard shift returns, however it shifts so good now I don't want to remove it unless I have to.

Rebel Yell 12-29-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jversluis (Post 1598580086)
Hey all those with a Range device. Just got mine and looking forward to trying it out soon. Any input from the gallery or hints would be great!
Hoping for a smoother A8! As my tranny is okay except when going in and out of V4. Very annoying!

Happy New Year all vette fillies

You're gonna like it, and the car's gonna like it too. :yesnod:

Just plug, and play. As far as battery drain I have no idea as my car is on a maintainer 100% of the time it's not being driven. Anyone that's owned a C6 understands this is a habit necessitated by the battery drain that comes standard with the C6. :)

Yoggi 12-29-2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe (Post 1598582479)
If you are talking to me, I saw no Check Engine Lights or codes in the month that I used the device.

Pic below is a pic of the box that the Range device came in. Note the bottom IMPORTANT warning.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...595b20981b.jpg

I talked to the lady at Range before I bought mine about six months ago. She told me that although they had updated the software on the unit they had not updated to new boxes. Therefore the warning was for the old version.

i can't attest to whether the device drains the battery or not. I keep my car on the battery tender if not driving it regularly.

bassmobile 12-29-2018 11:48 PM

Got mine on Friday and plugged it in. Not much to report other then no more V4 mode!

Rebel Yell 12-30-2018 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by bassmobile (Post 1598587311)
Got mine on Friday and plugged it in. Not much to report other then no more V4 mode!

"Nothing" to report is a good thing. Before the Range I reported a shudder when the engine switched back into V8 mode. That was stopped by the Range, and as an added plus it also smoothed out the shifts.

rmorin1249 12-30-2018 03:54 PM

Since installing my Range about 18 months ago, the car is a pleasure to drive especially around town where it used to constantly shift in and out of V4 mode. Now it stays in V8 all the time. Gas mileage is slightly reduced but not enough to make a significant difference at the pump. Can't believe that GM thinks putting AFM on a car like Corvette is worth the slight increase in CAFE mileage. Just sell more Sonics and Sparks!

jversluis 12-30-2018 04:33 PM

put mine in today and took an afternoon spin in the 40 degree sunny day here in ohio. Wow what a diff this Range makes in my car and tranny. Smooth no more searching for v8 or v4, the slight shudder is gone and no more weird shifting. This is well worth the money spent. Best mod ever. Now this A8 is a dream! Checked the mileage on highway at 72 and was running between 26.2-27mpg. who cares about mileage, its a vette and I didn't buy it for mpg. Any car with 465 ponies and gets 25mpg that's great!

FunDriver 12-31-2018 03:05 AM

Have had Range unit for several months and no battery problems even when not started (or on a tender) for a week and a half. However, if I know it's going to be a week or two without starting I try to remember to put it on the tender.

Ericm1949 12-31-2018 06:31 PM

After reading a number of posts on this subject I went ahead a purchased a unit for my ‘16 A8. I have had no torque converter issues either before or after the install. I also bought one for my ‘18 Escalade even though I could detect no difference when it changed from V8 to V4 and back again. The fuel mileage difference is of no concern to me for these type of vehicles. However, I do remove them when the vehicles go into the shop for any warranty work.

dataporter 12-31-2018 10:39 PM

I had a 2014 M7 Z51 and when I put it in Eco mode so that it would use AFM it was VERY noticeable when the car went from V8 to V4 and vice versa. A jerky feeling like a lot of the bad spots on any California highway.

I have had my 2019 GS A8 for just a few days but I can not even tell that it is going from V8 to V4 to V8 unless I put in on the DIC where you can see it!

I was going to buy the Ranger AFM before I got the new car, becauses of my experience in the 2014, now I'm not so sure ... Time will tell.

Dcasole 12-31-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dataporter (Post 1598598605)
I had a 2014 M7 Z51 and when I put it in Eco mode so that it would use AFM it was VERY noticeable when the car went from V8 to V4 and vice versa. A jerky feeling like a lot of the bad spots on any California highway.

I have had my 2019 GS A8 for just a few days but I can not even tell that it is going from V8 to V4 to V8 unless I put in on the DIC where you can see it!

I was going to buy the Ranger AFM before I got the new car, becauses of my experience in the 2014, now I'm not so sure ... Time will tell.

Do it now before you have a problem .... otherwise it will be to late once u feel the surging , your converter is new that's why it feels ok ....

Dave

Mr. Bear 12-31-2018 11:48 PM

Just received my AFM this morning & immediately installed it, then ran some errands, driving a total of 70ish miles. No problems as the car felt much smoother & gas mileage was decent. Perhaps if I drive to the shore which is a relatively flat drive, I might experiment by removing the unit, but so far, so good. The car doesn't feel like it's hunting for the correct mode anymore.

16 Sting Ray Coupe, A8

NSC5 01-01-2019 09:05 AM

I would leave the Range in place even for those long drives. The entire time you let your engine run in V4 mode it is constantly modulating the torque converter lockup clutch creating wear and hastening the day that you will have to deal with shudder issues.

javenius 01-01-2019 10:18 PM

Ok, as stated above, i have not experienced any shudder yet and I have just ordered my Range device.

Assuming I do not experience any issues with running in V8 mode all of the time, should I get my trans fluid changed to the new upcoming formula "sooner than later" as preventative maintenance?

Thanks
Jim

beaversstonehaven 01-01-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by javenius (Post 1598604000)
Ok, as stated above, i have not experienced any shudder yet and I have just ordered my Range device.

Assuming I do not experience any issues with running in V8 mode all of the time, should I get my trans fluid changed to the new upcoming formula "sooner than later" as preventative maintenance?

Thanks
Jim

I did and I felt like my transmission shifted yet even better. $380,00 for the flush,