CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Can GM actually build a Sports Car? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4226832-can-gm-actually-build-a-sports-car.html)

nmbsun 12-31-2018 09:10 AM

Can GM actually build a Sports Car?

When you look at the zr1 track times on youTube vs every McLaren or other mid engine sports car you soon realize that Corvette is not even in the same ball park. True, cars like McLaren are very expensive but for what you can buy a nice used McLaren for it is not much more than a new zr1. Now, the mid engine Corvette? How can Corvette compete with other mid engine cars like McLaren? Cars like the Porsche 911 make every Corvette ever built look like a wannabe. For example take the c5 Corvette. The c5 had more problems than you could shake a stick at. Not to mention that for 50k you got an interior that was nothing but cheap plastic.
For years I dreamed of the day I could buy my Dream Car the Corvette. I did buy a new c5 Corvette and I have had every problem with it ever mentioned on this Forum. If, and that is a big IF, I ever buy another sports car it will not be a wannabe Corvette!

mre1974 12-31-2018 09:17 AM

Obvious troll post is obvious.

1SG_Ret 12-31-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by nmbsun (Post 1598593679)
When you look at the zr1 track times on youTube vs every McLaren or other mid engine sports car you soon realize that Corvette is not even in the same ball park. True, cars like McLaren are very expensive but for what you can buy a nice used McLaren for it is not much more than a new zr1. Now, the mid engine Corvette? How can Corvette compete with other mid engine cars like McLaren? Cars like the Porsche 911 make every Corvette ever built look like a wannabe. For example take the c5 Corvette. The c5 had more problems than you could shake a stick at. Not to mention that for 50k you got an interior that was nothing but cheap plastic.
For years I dreamed of the day I could buy my Dream Car the Corvette. I did buy a new c5 Corvette and I have had every problem with it ever mentioned on this Forum. If, and that is a big IF, I ever buy another sports car it will not be a wannabe Corvette!

Why not just by a Cayman? Problem solved.

Quinten33 12-31-2018 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret (Post 1598593741)
Why not just by a Cayman? Problem solved.

Hey, someone could start a thread about that...:rofl:

FrankLP 12-31-2018 09:38 AM

:nopity

warhawkmcdaniel 12-31-2018 09:49 AM

I think it's up to the individuals to decide what to buy and more choices are a good thing.It seems a few Corvettes have been sold so there must be a market for them.

Speednet 12-31-2018 10:06 AM

Why exactly are you here?

GM5778 12-31-2018 10:16 AM

Um what?
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e83e44a09e.png

PureJoy 12-31-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Speednet (Post 1598593960)
Why exactly are you here?

To make comparisons between Vette's & other sports vehicles l presume??

In answer to the OP, no comparison with your choices mate, A McLaren is way out of the comfort zone of America's best sports car both in performance & price, but
l'm sure Chevy could build a Vette that could beat it, but it would also be way out of most people's price range!

OVR60 12-31-2018 10:25 AM

This is not a troll post but someone who sees the LIGHT.

PureJoy 12-31-2018 10:25 AM

For example take the c5 Corvette.
The c5 had more problems than you could shake a stick at.
Not to mention that for 50k you got an interior that was nothing but cheap plastic.

OK, now l will agree he is a troll because the C5 is one of the most reliable cars on the road & not just in the Vette range!!
Also, they were actually under $40K for the base model.

My 20yr old Vette has never had any major issues & runs better than the wife's Prius!!!

ChrisNC 12-31-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by GM5778 (Post 1598594015)

It has been my experience working around these types of cars and the people that buy them that no matter what kind of performance and quality a vette has vs them it would be considered trash and below them to compare it.

BIG Dave 12-31-2018 10:34 AM

"...for what you can buy a nice used McLaren for it is not much more than a new zr1" - New vs used? Sorry, that's apples and oranges.

But seriously, if you aren't happy with your C5 (except for a failed driver's side window lift motor at 35,900 miles that was covered under warranty, mine was trouble free), I suggest you sell your C5 and buy something else. Life is too short to be unhappy.

(FYI - my two C6's and my C7 have also been trouble free, so not all Corvettes are bad!)

BIG Dave 12-31-2018 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisNC (Post 1598594098)
It has been my experience working around these types of cars and the people that buy them that no matter what kind of performance and quality a vette has vs them it would be considered trash and below them to compare it.

I believe GM5778 was responding to the OP's statement - "When you look at the zr1 track times on youTube vs every McLaren or other mid engine sports car you soon realize that Corvette is not even in the same ball park." From looking at ChrisNC's chart, it is clear that the OP's statement is not correct.

PureJoy 12-31-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by BIG Dave (Post 1598594136)
I believe GM5778 was responding to the OP's statement - "When you look at the zr1 track times on youTube vs every McLaren or other mid engine sports car you soon realize that Corvette is not even in the same ball park." From looking at ChrisNC's chart, it is clear that the OP's statement is not correct.

But are those figures LAP times or straight line 1/4ml times???

ArmchairArchitect 12-31-2018 10:49 AM

Sounds like the OP's measure of a "fast car" is 1/4 mile times. :rofl: He's probably never heard of the Nurburgring or road course lap times as a real measure of a car's all-around performance.

It's a sports car, not a muscle/drag car, fool. Go buy a Dodge muscle car if you want one-trick-pony (can't do anything else well) 1/4 mile times.

And the Corvette IS as reliable as a sports car gets. Go buy a Porsche 911 of the same era (996 generation) as the C5 and your motor literally grenades from Porsche's cheap and faulty designed IMS bearing. And then your beloved Porsche goes to the junkyard because a new motor costs more than the value of the car.

OP has a very low IQ and you can tell...he/she doesn't even understand the concept of apples-to-apples comparisons by comparing a used car's price to a new car's price. And then only using one aspect of a car's performance for that comparison. :lol:

PureJoy 12-31-2018 10:53 AM

Veering off the troll/OP & his crazy comparisons, here's some real time SPEED comparisons for you to chew over today, & 300+mph from a car anyone with a driving licence (or not) can buy is phenomenal;
https://speedvegas.com/en/world-of-s...world-2018/428
Germany's Nurburgring is possible nearer to getting a better overall speed/handling of any car;
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...g-lap-records/
Also, Chevy does hold "The Fastest US Car Around The 'Ring" trophy.................but it's not a Vette!!!
https://www.motor1.com/features/1492...s-nurburgring/

Happy Reading Guys....

tobaccokid 12-31-2018 10:56 AM

Your used McClaren will invariably NOT have a warranty. Comparing out of warranty repair costs of a Corvette with a McClaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, even Jag, BMW, is like comparing a Pinto with a ZR1. You will get slaughtered with the costs. Gee wiz, I wonder how Corvette has won so many international races and championships ?

Conclusion - a ridiculous post.

nmbsun 12-31-2018 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by PureJoy (Post 1598594069)
OK, now l will agree he is a troll because the C5 is one of the most reliable cars on the road & not just in the Vette range!!
Also, they were actually under $40K for the base model.

My 20yr old Vette has never had any major issues & runs better than the wife's Prius!!!

I think you should read Chris Draper's Sticky Thread about all the problems with the C5. You can find the Sticky Thread on C5 General under "

MUST READ: The Definitive C5 Info Thread"

If you have never had any of these problems mentioned in the Sticky Thread you are one lucky person and I suggest you Run, not walk to the nearest place to buy a lottery ticket!

PureJoy 12-31-2018 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by nmbsun (Post 1598594355)
I think you should read Chris Draper's Sticky Thread about all the problems with the C5. !

I think you should just read all the posts above & decide if you need to find another hobby?