CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   My kid's Hot Wheels car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4226897-my-kids-hot-wheels-car.html)

Idaho Mark 12-31-2018 01:05 PM

My kid's Hot Wheels car

She has a blue 17 Ford GT because it looked cool so she bought it, she's not kid btw.
So I'm looking at this Hotwheels car that was on the kitchen counter and I think the C8 is going to be on par with this Ford GT but with a much, more affordable price tag.
Looks wise, from the Hotwheels car and the pictures of the C8 floating around, there's a lot of likeness.

C7pimp 12-31-2018 01:47 PM

Sorry, but there is no way the Vette will be "on par" with the Ford GT. From what we know, it's not even close.

There are too many necessary compromises with the Corvette's daily-driveability that disallow it from being designed to the extent that the GT is.

The Ford GT's design is "on-par" with the likes of La Ferrari, etc. It's an extreme vehicle.

I certainly would welcome such an extreme design with daily-drivability that Corvette provides, bu it ain't happening this time around.

CRABBYJ 12-31-2018 01:54 PM

Jay has his

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark (Post 1598595102)
She has a blue 17 Ford GT because it looked cool so she bought it, she's not kid btw.
So I'm looking at this Hotwheels car that was on the kitchen counter and I think the C8 is going to be on par with this Ford GT but with a much, more affordable price tag.
Looks wise, from the Hotwheels car and the pictures of the C8 floating around, there's a lot of likeness.

Not blue, but Jay has his Hot Wheels ME C8. :D
:flag:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...960d1eb7f.jpeg

bgspot 12-31-2018 02:20 PM

For the most part i agree with C7pimp, but much like the OP i believe the C8 will be special. I'm hesitant to say it will be on par with a Ford GT though because i don't just look at performance. Having to be approved for a GT by Ford on top of being limited production automatically puts the GT in a different class. We'll have to wait and see what the high end C8 variants bring...

firstvettesoon 12-31-2018 05:24 PM

will be great seeing the Jay Leno C8 episode !

warhawkmcdaniel 12-31-2018 05:54 PM

Maybe the C8 Hotwheels will be on par with the Ford GT Hotwheels.

Vernon 12-31-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by warhawkmcdaniel (Post 1598597084)
Maybe the C8 Hotwheels will be on par with the Ford GT Hotwheels.

Only if the tracks have similar elevations...

Yarbie 12-31-2018 07:27 PM

Comical for sure. If you think this for real you're going to be extremely disappointed. I'm still laughing.

carsnpars 12-31-2018 10:23 PM

On par? Thought the ZR1 was beating the FGT on a few tracks?

Idaho Mark 12-31-2018 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by carsnpars (Post 1598598543)
On par? Thought the ZR1 was beating the FGT on a few tracks?

Exactly, thank you.

megan.andrews 01-02-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon (Post 1598596853)
will be great seeing the Jay Leno C8 episode !

Hi, it will also grate from me if i can see this one. hope will get positive response.

thanks.... :willy:

z edge 01-02-2019 12:21 PM

A blue Ford GT passed me on the hwy recently and it was so out-of-this-world looking i didn't even know what it was at first look. It is incredible in person.

davidwp97 01-02-2019 12:25 PM

Nice fake, Jay!

However, Hot Wheels did jump the gun with their C6 announcement -

December 5, 2003 – Even Hot Wheels got in on the act. This pic hit their website before announcement day. It was pulled but not before it was found and widely posted.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b800a8c3e0.jpg

Parcival 01-04-2019 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by C7pimp (Post 1598595379)
Sorry, but there is no way the Vette will be "on par" with the Ford GT. From what we know, it's not even close.

There are too many necessary compromises with the Corvette's daily-driveability that disallow it from being designed to the extent that the GT is.

The Ford GT's design is "on-par" with the likes of La Ferrari, etc. It's an extreme vehicle.

I certainly would welcome such an extreme design with daily-drivability that Corvette provides, bu it ain't happening this time around.

agree with much of this.

Basically, the capability and cost to undertake a flying buttress design are what distinguish a F12, GT, NSX, i8 from a Vette design...

Idaho Mark 01-04-2019 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Parcival (Post 1598623205)

agree with much of this.

Basically, the capability and cost to undertake a flying buttress design are what distinguish a F12, GT, NSX, i8 from a Vette design...

That is a good point but for one thing. The cars you named are very limited in production, so the cost is going to be up there. Corvettes are produced in much higher numbers which is a factor in keeping the price lower than those cars. It’s realistic for Corvettes to be taken to a whole new level and still be affordable. Look at the jump the C7 took over the C6. If the C8 makes that kind of jump, look out!

Parcival 01-04-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark (Post 1598624004)

That is a good point but for one thing. The cars you named are very limited in production, so the cost is going to be up there. Corvettes are produced in much higher numbers which is a factor in keeping the price lower than those cars. It’s realistic for Corvettes to be taken to a whole new level and still be affordable. Look at the jump the C7 took over the C6. If the C8 makes that kind of jump, look out!

What benefits GM on cost of goods is economies of scale... ie, if you can buy in bulk and make it on an assembly line.
Im skeptical something as beautiful as a flying buttress can be made on a line.
If it can, GM has to invest to add that part of the assembly to their line... fixed costs that impact their operating leverage.
Finally, because of their market niche, they are limited in what they can charge, which limits their margins.

however, the C8 could still be a winner, even if it isn’t a GT.

Look at the C7 vs a F12. Good enough!

Idaho Mark 01-05-2019 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=Parcival;1598624186]

What benefits GM on cost of goods is economies of scale... ie, if you can buy in bulk and make it on an assembly line.
Im skeptical something as beautiful as a flying buttress can be made on a line.
If it can, GM has to invest to add that part of the assembly to their line... fixed costs that impact their operating leverage.
Finally, because of their market niche, they are limited in what they can charge, which limits their margins.

however, the C8 could still be a winner, even if it isn’t a GT.

One thing, corvettes are not mass production, like a normal car. There is a lot a hands on and real craftmenship involved with each car. Maybe a bit more with a GT but many things don’t need to be as much hands on because the “bottom line” on quality is going to be the same. The difference is cost. Here’s an example that makes the statement, just because it cost more doesn’t mean it’s better. A Forum Member that is okay with tools and wants to take a few years and fully restore a basket case C1. They can do it, parts can be had and know-how tips and tech help are right here. Try doing that with some of the cars you named that that are old and need to have a second brand new life. As we know the Italian cars of the same age are not going to be anywhere as close to being easy and affordable to do. Yes, some of the true exotic sports cars that can out preform the Corvette, take a professional driver to do the out preforming. The car cost is way, way more costly for a fraction of that performance and, parts and servace are in two different dimensions. Like how many corvette owners spent $8,000 and more with having to ship their car to get service and maybe a few things fixed? Insurance, do you know what the deductible is on an exotic? LOL! Maybe I don’t get it having built up my personal fortunes from cutting grass and painting houses in college, to being an international businessman today. I just never lost knowing the value of a buck and realistically understand that value, not to overspend so much to get so little back in return. Corvettes keep getting better and they do it at an affordable price and I think I’m going to be able to say to many when the C8 rolls out, “told you so”.

gthal 01-05-2019 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark (Post 1598624928)

One thing, corvettes are not mass production, like a normal car. There is a lot a hands on and real craftmenship involved with each car. Maybe a bit more with a GT but many things don’t need to be as much hands on because the “bottom line” on quality is going to be the same. The difference is cost. Here’s an example that makes the statement, just because it cost more doesn’t mean it’s better. A Forum Member that is okay with tools and wants to take a few years and fully restore a basket case C1. They can do it, parts can be had and know-how tips and tech help are right here. Try doing that with some of the cars you named that that are old and need to have a second brand new life. As we know the Italian cars of the same age are not going to be anywhere as close to being easy and affordable to do. Yes, some of the true exotic sports cars that can out preform the Corvette, take a professional driver to do the out preforming. The car cost is way, way more costly for a fraction of that performance and, parts and servace are in two different dimensions. Like how many corvette owners spent $8,000 and more with having to ship their car to get service and maybe a few things fixed? Insurance, do you know what the deductible is on an exotic? LOL! Maybe I don’t get it having built up my personal fortunes from cutting grass and painting houses in college, to being an international businessman today. I just never lost knowing the value of a buck and realistically understand that value, not to overspend so much to get so little back in return. Corvettes keep getting better and they do it at an affordable price and I think I’m going to be able to say to many when the C8 rolls out, “told you so”.

Corvettes are absolutely mass production cars just like any other car. There is hands on work for most any car and a TON of automation. Corvette is no different. You don't sell 30,000 hand built cars in a year for $75K... a truly hand crafted car is limited production and very expensive. Let's not overstate what Corvette is... it's no different, production wise, to a Camaro for GM.

I have little doubt the C8 with "perform" comparatively well to exotics and the Ford GT. No doubt. However, just look at the design of the GT and how exotic it looks... the C8 will not have that same look. Nor will the C8 have the same interior quality of materials as the more expensive German and Italian competition. That is not a bad thing, it's also why the C8 will be way less expensive!! That's what makes Corvette great IMO... you get amazing performance and, unless you really, really care about fine alcantara and carbon fiber and beautifully crafted switches, you save a lot of money versus more exotic cars.

I am extremely excited for the C8 but a car like a Ford GT looks and is more exotic than the C8 will be regardless as to whether the C8 is faster. I would expect it to be given I could easily buy 4 or 5 Corvettes for 1 GT :D There is more to it than simply pure performance numbers and, unless GM completely changes its business model for the C8, it won't build a car with the same extreme design, interior materials and overall fit/finish of some of these more expensive and more exotic cars. If GM changes the business model and the C8 is a $200K car, then I'll buy a Ferrari 488. I want an $85K, beautiful and extremely capable C8... if I wanted a $200K exotic, I would buy one and it wouldn't be a Chevy Corvette.

Idaho Mark 01-05-2019 09:34 AM

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/05/...bowling-green/

Not like every car
There is much more on this topic. I have been lucky enough to have been invited to see cars at GM plants being put together. Which includes the Corvette. From what I saw and I’m not an ME, the KY plant seemed to be different than the others. There is much more fit with a Corvette that is hands on.