CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   C7 Z06 vs C6 Z06 - My definitive position (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4227138-c7-z06-vs-c6-z06-my-definitive-position.html)

JG853 01-03-2019 08:08 AM

Bill - Sorry to hear about your C6 Z. Not a cheap fix at all. But to say the C7 Z06 does not have any overheating problem is a far stretch. I think that this forum has well documented the problem in the C7 Z06. I think LG Motorsports, G-Speed, and TIKT also came up with a solution to fix the C7 Z06 overheating issue. Obviously the A8 more than the M7, but the issue is as common in the C7Z as the head issue in the C6 Z. It is a design flaw. The C7 Z06 fix is not cheap by any means, nor is the C6 Z Head issue.

Glad to hear you are getting out and enjoying your car!
JG

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598611037)
My LS7 dropped a valve while going past the start finish line at the Glen. Was just shifting from 3rd to 4th gear at 6800 rpm and as I put the clutch in the tach went to zero. I haven't had any huge failures on the LT4 (knock on wood). I was lucky and GM replaced the engine under warranty. Three years later I had the heads fixed on the replacement engine and GMPP covered $1400 of the cost by replacing the heads so it cost me $3800 to have bronze guides and Ti/Mo intake and exhaust valves installed (Katech recommendation) in the brand new heads. At something like $160.00 each the valves weren't cheap. I was able to sell the old heads for $1000 so total repair cost me $2800. Without GMPP it would have been about $5600 for the solution.

The C7Z does not have an over heating problem. There are plenty of us on the forum that run them hard and long without an over heating issue. I added the GMPP Secondary Radiator to mine before I ever took it to the track. 18 months later GM made the Secondary Radiator standard on all M7 Z06s. Mine has never gotten close to over heating. Some people with A8s have over heated theirs but very few M7s have over heated.

My intermittent misfire issue was finally resolved when GM sent new engineering instructions on how much air had to be bled out of the intercooler and provided a TSB about bleeding the intercooler using the ZR1 intercooler bleeder. After that was done I didn't have any more drop offs in power that cut peak straight away speeds on long straights by about 10 mph. Funny thing about the misfiring is last year before they resolved the problem I was at VIR and set my fastest lap with the engine intermittently misfiring on the back straight.

As far as I am concerned the M7 C7Z met GM's add claims that it was the most trackable Corvette yet. It has the brakes, suspension, differential/transmission cooling and engine cooling required to run 20 minute sessions. The C6Z wasn't quite as trackable since it didn't have the brakes required to do the job reliably. It really slows you down when you don't trust your brakes.

Bill

Road machine 01-03-2019 03:41 PM

I absolutely loved my 2008 Z06. It was very hard for me to trade it in and I very seriously considered keeping both. I never had the dropped valve issue , and I had the heads checked to see if there was any issue last year and it came back fine. I always warmed the car up before getting on it at all and that is what I think kept my engine from developing the problem, but it also could have been the production date as many many cars did not have the issue with the valves. But I must say that the constant talking up of the problem caused me plenty of worry, and maybe that is why I traded it in. I also tracked the car at Watkins Glen and it was way faster on the track than my C5Z06, though I loved the exhaust note on the C5. I traded in the C6 for a 2019 Z06 2LZ with stage 1 aero, but have since added the side skirts and will be adding the front splitter. The car was on the showroom floor and it sold me the minute I looked at it. I went with the A8 on the C7 and I am not quite sure how I feel about that yet. I did drive the M7 and thought the first gear was too low and the shift pattern made the possibility of choosing the wrong gear way to easy. It is always hard to determine how something like that will work out after you get used to it, but I really think that GM could have kept a 6 speed and I would definitely have gone for that if it was available.

I always drive my cars hard on the street. I live in a very rural area and know the roads well, and I know the police well too. I have yet to track the C7, but will definitely be doing so this summer. The C7 is definitely a faster car than the C6 and it has managed to do something the C6 never did....scare me. Not from any out of control situation, but just how fast it gets up to speed. You have to respect this car for sure. I always said I would not get a C7, becuase the C6 could not put all the power to the ground so why add another 150 Hp, and I was right but the extra power does show itself for sure, once the tires get traction.

As for the C7 being a 2 door Cadilac....I also own a 2011 CTSV wagon with a M6. It is a very fast car....but there is no way you could confuse the CTSV and the Corvette....especially around a corner.

Bill Dearborn 01-04-2019 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by JG853 (Post 1598611481)
Bill - Sorry to hear about your C6 Z. Not a cheap fix at all. But to say the C7 Z06 does not have any overheating problem is a far stretch. I think that this forum has well documented the problem in the C7 Z06. I think LG Motorsports, G-Speed, and TIKT also came up with a solution to fix the C7 Z06 overheating issue. Obviously the A8 more than the M7, but the issue is as common in the C7Z as the head issue in the C6 Z. It is a design flaw. The C7 Z06 fix is not cheap by any means, nor is the C6 Z Head issue.

Glad to hear you are getting out and enjoying your car!
JG

JG,
There are enough owners on the forum who have tracked their cars that haven't had an over heating problem to indicate their is more hype than fact to overheating issue. I was one of the many who didn't have an over heating issue Vs one of the few that did. I have yet to personally run into anybody at the track with a C7Z M7 that has experienced any over heating or came close to it. Even running in low to mid 90 degree ambient temps I have never seen the coolant temp go over the mid 220s or the oil temp go over the mid 270s.

As for the C6Z head issue I personally knew 7 other people who tracked their cars at either Watkins Glen or NJMP that had their engines drop a valve. Of the those people one person had exhaust valves drop in two different cars, one person had an intake valve drop and the other 6 of us had one valve drop per car for a total of 9 failed engines. All of these engines failed before 2013. The only one that didn't have his car covered by the GM warranty was the one who dropped the intake valve since he had a modded engine. Most of the valve guide checking and fixing that occurred a year or two after these engines failed was mostly a fever caught by a bunch of people who barely drove their cars let alone take them to the track. Those engines hadn't failed and nobody really knew for sure whether they would. It got so bad I had the heads in my 2011 replacement engine checked and the shop found 2 exhaust valves that were slightly out of tolerance. The guys at the shop tried to talk me into not spending the money to repair the heads until GMPP said they would replace both. What is interesting about all of the recommended fixes is they are guesses at resolving a cause that has yet to be identified and not a solution for an identified cause.

Just like the C6Z valve guide feeding frenzy the C7Z over heat feeding frenzy is mostly people generating rumors Vs facts. From my viewpoint not meeting anybody who has had their C7Z over heat Vs knowing 7 other guys who actually had LS7 engine failures due to valve drops it looks like the LS7 issue far outweighs the LT4 over heating comments. When I tell people that I track my C7Z I get the comment I hear those things over heat and then I have to educate the uninformed about the truth. If I take them for a 20 minute ride around the track they quickly find out the cars don't overheat since they see all the other ones that are out there running with me.

Bill

JG853 01-04-2019 08:26 AM

Bill - There is no doubt that the LS7 issue has not been completely resolved, unless you go with a different head. My heads were done by Tony Mamo, and thus far, I have not had a problem. I can point countless guys I know that their C7 Z06s go in limp mode while they were at the track - Both M7 and A8. While I realize that some of this can be on the driver (And, any car can over heat), the C7 Z has a design flaw in that area. Many of guys that run a Road America here in WI have experienced it with their cars for example. Lou G would not have come up with a solution if this were not a problem. There are countless threads about guys overheating. It is a known design flaw - GM rectified it with the ZR1 (Utilizing the design that looks like LG's). Would you not agree that there is a reason for the additional cooling in the ZR1? LG just posted a video with a Calloway car overheating and in their shop for their cooling solution...Norway Z06 just posted in this thread about it as well. There are plenty of guys that have tracked a C6 Z that never experienced head issues. The difference between the two problems is that LG (And others now including GM with the ZR1) actually resolved the overheating issue, while the C6 Z head issue is still open. I appreciate that your car has not experienced any issues and that you are having fun with it. That is great news! However, in my opinion, the C7Z has a major cooling flaw that has affected a lot of guys who track their cars. If it were not a problem, it would have never been addressed by LG, G Speed, TIKT, and GM (ZR1).

Hope you have a nice weekend.
JG

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598617632)
JG,
There are enough owners on the forum who have tracked their cars that haven't had an over heating problem to indicate their is more hype than fact to overheating issue. I was one of the many who didn't have an over heating issue Vs one of the few that did. I have yet to personally run into anybody at the track with a C7Z M7 that has experienced any over heating or came close to it. Even running in low to mid 90 degree ambient temps I have never seen the coolant temp go over the mid 220s or the oil temp go over the mid 270s.

As for the C6Z head issue I personally knew 7 other people who tracked their cars at either Watkins Glen or NJMP that had their engines drop a valve. Of the those people one person had exhaust valves drop in two different cars, one person had an intake valve drop and the other 6 of us had one valve drop per car for a total of 9 failed engines. All of these engines failed before 2013. The only one that didn't have his car covered by the GM warranty was the one who dropped the intake valve since he had a modded engine. Most of the valve guide checking and fixing that occurred a year or two after these engines failed was mostly a fever caught by a bunch of people who barely drove their cars let alone take them to the track. Those engines hadn't failed and nobody really knew for sure whether they would. It got so bad I had the heads in my 2011 replacement engine checked and the shop found 2 exhaust valves that were slightly out of tolerance. The guys at the shop tried to talk me into not spending the money to repair the heads until GMPP said they would replace both. What is interesting about all of the recommended fixes is they are guesses at resolving a cause that has yet to be identified and not a solution for an identified cause.

Just like the C6Z valve guide feeding frenzy the C7Z over heat feeding frenzy is mostly people generating rumors Vs facts. From my viewpoint not meeting anybody who has had their C7Z over heat Vs knowing 7 other guys who actually had LS7 engine failures due to valve drops it looks like the LS7 issue far outweighs the LT4 over heating comments. When I tell people that I track my C7Z I get the comment I hear those things over heat and then I have to educate the uninformed about the truth. If I take them for a 20 minute ride around the track they quickly find out the cars don't overheat since they see all the other ones that are out there running with me.

Bill

Toddiesel 01-04-2019 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by JG853 (Post 1598618058)
Bill - There is no doubt that the LS7 issue has not been completely resolved, unless you go with a different head. My heads were done by Tony Mamo, and thus far, I have not had a problem. I can point countless guys I know that their C7 Z06s go in limp mode while they were at the track - Both M7 and A8. While I realize that some of this can be on the driver (And, any car can over heat), the C7 Z has a design flaw in that area. Many of guys that run a Road America here in WI have experienced it with their cars for example. Lou G would not have come up with a solution if this were not a problem. There are countless threads about guys overheating. It is a known design flaw - GM rectified it with the ZR1 (Utilizing the design that looks like LG's). Would you not agree that there is a reason for the additional cooling in the ZR1? LG just posted a video with a Calloway car overheating and in their shop for their cooling solution...Norway Z06 just posted in this thread about it as well. There are plenty of guys that have tracked a C6 Z that never experienced head issues. The difference between the two problems is that LG (And others now including GM with the ZR1) actually resolved the overheating issue, while the C6 Z head issue is still open. I appreciate that your car has not experienced any issues and that you are having fun with it. That is great news! However, in my opinion, the C7Z has a major cooling flaw that has affected a lot of guys who track their cars. If it were not a problem, it would have never been addressed by LG, G Speed, TIKT, and GM (ZR1).

Hope you have a nice weekend.
JG

You KNOW countless guys that own a C7 Z06?? I know exactly 1. Even if you know like 5, I would by no means call that "countless". Hell even if you're in some Z06 club where people from all over come and get together to talk corvettes and go for rides, that might be like 30 and how well do you really KNOW those guys?. When you say "countless", imo, that # goes into the hundreds. You know, a number that's too high for you to sit and do a head count. I agree with Bill in that it seems like this over heating thing is a bit of a chicken little situation. I don't doubt that SOME people have overheating issues, but I never have and the ONE guy I actually know that has a Z06 (and has an A8) has not had any issues either. Regardless, we're kind of veering off topic with it. We can just put a tick in the "cons" column of the C7 that there is a "possibility of an overheating issue" just like we can put a tick in the "cons" column of the C6 that there is a "possibility of a valve issue", call it a day, and move on with the ENTIRE rest of the car(s) for the comparison.

tonypittman 01-04-2019 09:38 AM

Great points here, everyone. I expect to address many of the views raised. BTW - just to be clear: My C6 Z06 has been highly modified. But, my comparison will not entirely focus on me comparing MY C6 Z06 to the C7 Z06. I will be looking at this as a generational comparison.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f7ab007dc.jpeg

tonypittman 01-04-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1598618279)
You KNOW countless guys that own a C7 Z06?? I know exactly 1. Even if you know like 5, I would by no means call that "countless". Hell even if you're in some Z06 club where people from all over come and get together to talk corvettes and go for rides, that might be like 30 and how well do you really KNOW those guys?. When you say "countless", imo, that # goes into the hundreds. You know, a number that's too high for you to sit and do a head count. I agree with Bill in that it seems like this over heating thing is a bit of a chicken little situation. I don't doubt that SOME people have overheating issues, but I never have and the ONE guy I actually know that has a Z06 (and has an A8) has not had any issues either. Regardless, we're kind of veering off topic with it. We can just put a tick in the "cons" column of the C7 that there is a "possibility of an overheating issue" just like we can put a tick in the "cons" column of the C6 that there is a "possibility of a valve issue", call it a day, and move on with the ENTIRE rest of the car(s) for the comparison.

Yep...makes sense to me. They are "ticks in the boxes" that remind us to what to keep an eye out for. But, neither issue truly defines either car. BTW - I do know countless C6 Z06 owners...really...too many for me to count in my head, given the number of big club events I staged and attended over the years. And, I know ONE of them had an engine blow....and that was while running it in the Texas Mile with a big shot of nitrous.

JG853 01-04-2019 11:47 AM

Todd - Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, yes, I KNOW A LOT of guys that have Corvettes, including the C7 Z06 (In all forms).

For what it is worth, I have in several posts included some of the differences in the C7 Z and C6 Z (Including this one) which included the interior, exterior, technology, performance, etc. So please reread my previous posts in this thread because I address those. I actually own a number of Corvettes, some of which are stock versus highly modified, so I might just be a credible source of information (I mentioned the models in this thread as well).. In addition to my experience and knowledge of these cars (Given that I actually own them concurrently), if there is something that I have a question on that I am not knowledgeable of or have no experience with, I rely on my longtime friends including LG, Tony Mamo, and BlackDog Racing for real facts (I think I have also noted those in this thread) as they work on my cars. Please feel free to call any of them and ask them what they think about the overheating issue or head issue on these models. I never stated that every car has an issue, whether it be a C6 or C7. I simply stated that it is a design flaw in both cars. Are you disagreeing that it is a design flaw? Also, I never stated that I prefer one over the other. I believe that they are both great cars.

We all have opinions. Glad you posted yours.

JG

Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1598618279)

Toddiesel 01-04-2019 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by JG853 (Post 1598619472)
Todd - Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, yes, I KNOW A LOT of guys that have Corvettes, including the C7 Z06 (In all forms).

For what it is worth, I have in several posts included some of the differences in the C7 Z and C6 Z (Including this one) which included the interior, exterior, technology, performance, etc. So please reread my previous posts in this thread because I address those. I actually own a number of Corvettes, some of which are stock versus highly modified, so I might just be a credible source of information (I mentioned the models in this thread as well).. In addition to my experience and knowledge of these cars (Given that I actually own them concurrently), if there is something that I have a question on that I am not knowledgeable of or have no experience with, I rely on my longtime friends including LG, Tony Mamo, and BlackDog Racing for real facts (I think I have also noted those in this thread) as they work on my cars. Please feel free to call any of them and ask them what they think about the overheating issue or head issue on these models. I never stated that every car has an issue, whether it be a C6 or C7. I simply stated that it is a design flaw in both cars. Are you disagreeing that it is a design flaw? Also, I never stated that I prefer one over the other. I believe that they are both great cars.

We all have opinions. Glad you posted yours.

JG

Well, I'll take your word for it that you KNOW (i think people use that term too loosely) a bunch of C7 Z06 guys. As far as your total posts about the differences in the models, that's irrelevant to what I was saying. I can and do appreciate your contributions in that area, I was simply stating that this thread had started to go off topic (or maybe just too focused on ONE topic) in the last several posts, which included, but was not limited to, yours. I was just trying to say it's noted that this is a "design flaw" in both models and we should move on :beatdeadhorse:. Though to answer your question, I can neither agree nor disagree that it IS a design flaw because, while I'm an engineer, I'm not a mechanical engineer and don't really know how the "design" contributes or doesn't contribute to an overheating issue. Same with the C6 and the valve issue. I don't really have a dog in this fight either. I love my C7, but I've never owned a C6. I think it's like the F40 vs F50 argument. You look at the two and CLEARLY the F50 is a newer, "sexier" car and ostensibly "wins" that way, (though from what I understand, some people in the know give the F40 the win as being the better track car) I feel that's what the average joe that doesn't know anything about Corvettes would say about the C6 vs C7 debate, which is where I land, but other than that, I'm not a fanboy of either.

JG853 01-04-2019 01:42 PM

I understand. To me, you can not go wrong with either car. Choose your weapon. I just wonder what is going to happen when the C8 Z (Whatever they call it) to values of these cars... The dual clutch will be huge.
BTW - I do not have a F40 or F50, but would take either one!

Have a good weekend.

JG

Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1598619804)
Well, I'll take your word for it that you KNOW (i think people use that term too loosely) a bunch of C7 Z06 guys. As far as your total posts about the differences in the models, that's irrelevant to what I was saying. I can and do appreciate your contributions in that area, I was simply stating that this thread had started to go off topic (or maybe just too focused on ONE topic) in the last several posts, which included, but was not limited to, yours. I was just trying to say it's noted that this is a "design flaw" in both models and we should move on :beatdeadhorse:. Though to answer your question, I can neither agree nor disagree that it IS a design flaw because, while I'm an engineer, I'm not a mechanical engineer and don't really know how the "design" contributes or doesn't contribute to an overheating issue. Same with the C6 and the valve issue. I don't really have a dog in this fight either. I love my C7, but I've never owned a C6. I think it's like the F40 vs F50 argument. You look at the two and CLEARLY the F50 is a newer, "sexier" car and ostensibly "wins" that way, (though from what I understand, some people in the know give the F40 the win as being the better track car) I feel that's what the average joe that doesn't know anything about Corvettes would say about the C6 vs C7 debate, which is where I land, but other than that, I'm not a fanboy of either.

Z0HS1CK 01-04-2019 01:59 PM

The mid engine and dual clutch are game changers for the Corvette brand.

it will rekindle whatever was lost for some reason that people might have been turned off with, with the c7.

and it will generate new fans at the same time. Because its entering supercar/exotic territory.

I cant wait.

Toddiesel 01-04-2019 02:22 PM

Geez Rob. Talk about going off topic!

Z0HS1CK 01-04-2019 02:31 PM

This is response to JG. I guess I should start using quotes more.

tonypittman 01-04-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1598620673)
Geez Rob. Talk about going off topic!

LOL! All good....The C8 will be interesting.

But, until then, I think we have to great Z06's from these last two generations! :thumbs:

JMB 01-04-2019 08:08 PM

Short Story: C7Z has better interior & exterior looks and is a better performer than a C6Z. My preference, C6Z...why? Unfortunately you'll have to read the long story lol!

Long Story: I factory ordered a brand new Torch Red 2011 Z06 (my first new car after about 30 cars!) and used it as my daily driver. I absolutely loved the car, it was an absolute thrill to drive. It was my daily driver for 3-1/2+ years and I only added new tires (immediately ditched the run-flats upon delivery), installed good shocks and new brake pads producing minimal dust. Without a doubt the best performance car that I had owned to date and I had owned some beasts! I left the motor stock because it's fraternal twin (as I called it) was an NA LS7 powered M6 Monte SS with 700+ RWHP and I used this vehicle to fully enjoy the LS7's capabilities.

With the upcoming C7Z availability I bought into all of the hype and ordered a new 2015 DSOM M7 Z06 and promptly traded in my C6Z with 54K on the odometer. I absolutely loved the C7Z, everything about the car, however, it was winter time and being a daily driver with seldom dry or warm streets I really couldn't use full throttle for many months. Once I could, suddenly the Honeymoon was over....I did not like what I perceived as a throttle response delay courtesy of the supercharger. I had never previously driven a high performance supercharged car prior to this one.....my mistake! Couple this with the ability now to run the car spiritedly through the gears I found the upper gears of the M7 not to my liking at all with the stranger feeling shift gates going from 5th, to 6th to 7th gears. With the NA LS7's, I enjoyed lightning quick throttle response and of course with the C6Z gone relying on the comparison of the throttle response of the Monte Carlo's 700+ RWHP to the C7Z was incomparable and quickly I began to despise the powerband feel of the C7Z. After I retired the car sat for about 18 months and it got driven literally only about 2 or 3 times so I promptly sold the car with only 4K miles on it.

Fast forward to today....I've wanted to buy another Corvette and briefly flirted with the idea of getting a new ZR1 but my lack of enthusiasm for a supercharged car combined with the current inability to tune the car quickly stopped any chance of that happening. As of late I have been looking at buying another C6Z that I can modify to fully enjoy and appreciate the platform. With a quirk of fate and through the grace of God I stumbled across my "old" C6Z for sale with only 3500 more miles added and I just sealed the deal to buy it! It got loaded on an enclosed trailer about an hour ago for shipment to me!!!

Bottom line, for me, I don't care if the Fast Food employees can't fully appreciate what a C6Z is or what it is capable of....what is important to me is the driving experience and I have not driven another car with the excitement of the C6Z driving experience and it's lightening quick throttle response combined with a svelte agility due to the car weighing in at ~3100 lbs. And once I modify the C6Z, it'll spank 98% of the C7Z's out there so who really cares if "it is the best or not"! I love it and yes, I miss the C7Z but not enough to get another one and drop an NA motor in it or upgrade to a ZR1!

Emmdmd 01-04-2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JMB (Post 1598622927)
Short Story: C7Z has better interior & exterior looks and is a better performer than a C6Z. My preference, C6Z...why? Unfortunately you'll have to read the long story lol!

Long Story: I factory ordered a brand new Torch Red 2011 Z06 (my first new car after about 30 cars!) and used it as my daily driver. I absolutely loved the car, it was an absolute thrill to drive. It was my daily driver for 3-1/2+ years and I only added new tires (immediately ditched the run-flats upon delivery), installed good shocks and new brake pads producing minimal dust. Without a doubt the best performance car that I had owned to date and I had owned some beasts! I left the motor stock because it's fraternal twin (as I called it) was an NA LS7 powered M6 Monte SS with 700+ RWHP and I used this vehicle to fully enjoy the LS7's capabilities.

With the upcoming C7Z availability I bought into all of the hype and ordered a new 2015 DSOM M7 Z06 and promptly traded in my C6Z with 54K on the odometer. I absolutely loved the C7Z, everything about the car, however, it was winter time and being a daily driver with seldom dry or warm streets I really couldn't use full throttle for many months. Once I could, suddenly the Honeymoon was over....I did not like what I perceived as a throttle response delay courtesy of the supercharger. I had never previously driven a high performance supercharged car prior to this one.....my mistake! Couple this with the ability now to run the car spiritedly through the gears I found the upper gears of the M7 not to my liking at all with the stranger feeling shift gates going from 5th, to 6th to 7th gears. With the NA LS7's, I enjoyed lightning quick throttle response and of course with the C6Z gone relying on the comparison of the throttle response of the Monte Carlo's 700+ RWHP to the C7Z was incomparable and quickly I began to despise the powerband feel of the C7Z. After I retired the car sat for about 18 months and it got driven literally only about 2 or 3 times so I promptly sold the car with only 4K miles on it.

Fast forward to today....I've wanted to buy another Corvette and briefly flirted with the idea of getting a new ZR1 but my lack of enthusiasm for a supercharged car combined with the current inability to tune the car quickly stopped any chance of that happening. As of late I have been looking at buying another C6Z that I can modify to fully enjoy and appreciate the platform. With a quirk of fate and through the grace of God I stumbled across my "old" C6Z for sale with only 3500 more miles added and I just sealed the deal to buy it! It got loaded on an enclosed trailer about an hour ago for shipment to me!!!

Bottom line, for me, I don't care if the Fast Food employees can't fully appreciate what a C6Z is or what it is capable of....what is important to me is the driving experience and I have not driven another car with the excitement of the C6Z driving experience and it's lightening quick throttle response combined with a svelte agility due to the car weighing in at ~3100 lbs. And once I modify the C6Z, it'll spank 98% of the C7Z's out there so who really cares if "it is the best or not"! I love it and yes, I miss the C7Z but not enough to get another one and drop an NA motor in it or upgrade to a ZR1!

Sounds like you and your C6Z were meant to be together. Congrats on the reunion!

Oneslackr 01-04-2019 10:03 PM

I agree.

Long Story: With the upcoming C7Z availability I bought into all of the hype and ordered a new 2015 DSOM M7 Z06 and promptly traded in my C6Z with 54K on the odometer.

What are the odds of that. It reminds of me of an old saying - If you love something set it free. If it comes back, it's yours. If it doesn't come back, it was never meant to be (or something along those lines usually said about failed relationships). :lol:

Bill Dearborn 01-05-2019 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 (Post 1598620513)
The mid engine and dual clutch are game changers for the Corvette brand.

it will rekindle whatever was lost for some reason that people might have been turned off with, with the c7.

and it will generate new fans at the same time. Because its entering supercar/exotic territory.

I cant wait.

Mid Engine will definitely be a game changer. DCT even though I like them probably won't be that big of a deal. The reason is the Corvette engine. If they go with another high torque engine with long legs like the LS7, LT1 or LT4 drivers just don't do that much shifting. The biggest benefit will be on the downshifts but even there you still have to consider the power band of the engine. As it is now most tracks in the US are third and fourth gear tracks for most C5s, C6s and C7s. The only movement of the shifter is back and forth between third and fourth. Yes, you can go out and flog the engine by running a lower gear coming out of a corner but usually you find you can't go wide open in that gear as soon as you can in the next higher gear so you don't get any real advantage coming off a corner by downshifting all that much. It is really interesting running alongside some of the high rev high hp cars on the track when passing them on a long straight whether they have a manual trans or a DCT you hear the shifts and you are still in the same gear you came off the corner in and driving past them. Sometimes they do 3 or 4 shifts to our 1.

Bill

Mr. Gizmo 01-05-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598624541)
Mid Engine will definitely be a game changer. DCT even though I like them probably won't be that big of a deal. The reason is the Corvette engine. If they go with another high torque engine with long legs like the LS7, LT1 or LT4 drivers just don't do that much shifting. The biggest benefit will be on the downshifts but even there you still have to consider the power band of the engine. As it is now most tracks in the US are third and fourth gear tracks for most C5s, C6s and C7s. The only movement of the shifter is back and forth between third and fourth. Yes, you can go out and flog the engine by running a lower gear coming out of a corner but usually you find you can't go wide open in that gear as soon as you can in the next higher gear so you don't get any real advantage coming off a corner by downshifting all that much. It is really interesting running alongside some of the high rev high hp cars on the track when passing them on a long straight whether they have a manual trans or a DCT you hear the shifts and you are still in the same gear you came off the corner in and driving past them. Sometimes they do 3 or 4 shifts to our 1.

Bill

good point— If the engine dynamics (low torque/ high rpm) which require rowing lots of gears then dct is a necessity.

Z0HS1CK 01-05-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598624541)

Bill

there is something similar though, the 6th gen zl1. Which has the lt4 and a 10 speed. So theres never a moment, no matter the rpm or gear where you wont have immediate power. Even for novice track guys they could drive handicap so to speak and let the torque of the engine carry the car out of corners without a need to downshift.

there is nothing wrong with the gearing in the auto on the z06,its the trans. It's too slow on the upshift and non existent on the downshifts.

a dct as a direct replacement to that using it as an example will be a total game changer.