CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Do kids still love seeing corvettes? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4227680-do-kids-still-love-seeing-corvettes.html)

BigEC6 01-02-2019 10:11 PM

Do kids still love seeing corvettes?

So, I live in rural NW Ohio which means garaging our Vette from December through March. During those months I try to find at least one day where it's sunny and the roads are clear, so I can take the Vette out for a run to charge the battery and get the fluids circulating. This past Sunday it was 45 degrees and sunny, so my better half and I decided to take the Vette out for a drive. As we were leaving town, I came to an intersection with a red light and stopped. I looked over at her while we were talking and noticed a roughly ten year old boy maybe ten feet away on the sidewalk staring at our car with his mouth hanging open. I waved at him while smiling and was instantly transported back to his age in my mind. I remember seeing Corvettes as a kid and thinking "Wow! I hope that I have one of those someday!" It made my whole day. I guess what I'm looking for here are similar stories from all of you. I've even had kids say "That's Lightning McQueen!" when seeing the car. What say you Vette Nation?

jimijam 01-02-2019 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigEC6 (Post 1598610407)
I remember seeing Corvettes as a kid and thinking "Wow! I hope that I have one of those someday!" It made my whole day. I guess what I'm looking for here are similar stories from all of you.

That was then. Now is kids saying "That motherf##ing a**hole doesn't deserve to have a car like that. It's not fair! I am entitled to have what he has and the government should give it to me."

Not all kids are that way though. I get some thumbs up when driving the Chevelle and will probably got a few thumbs up in the Vette too.

rkj427 01-02-2019 10:48 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...32ed83839a.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...31a0cb0ae9.jpg

taken in downtown Sioux Falls in 2017...……………… don't think they weren't thrilled...…………… took pictures of themselves and a few others who also sat in it and texted them to parents and friends

Aerovette 01-02-2019 10:49 PM

Yes, they do.

BigEC6 01-02-2019 10:53 PM

I hope it's not that bad, but what can I say. There probably is an element of that. FWIW, I love Chevelles! I live in a cul-de-sac. Last summer, my better half and I were sitting outside enjoying an adult beverage when a blue with white SS stripes Chevelle pulled into our driveway to turn around. It was clearly a big block from the sound and I said "Wait!". He stopped for a minute to talk with us. Afterwards, my girl was laughing saying, "while you were drooling over his Chevelle, he was drooling over our Vette!" :lol:

madsonp 01-02-2019 10:56 PM

I talked to a neighbor of mine who told me his son just drools at the sight of my Vette every time he sees me drive by in it, so in this instant, yes, kids love seeing them.

BLEKVET 01-02-2019 11:02 PM

My neighbor’s kid LOVES my Tundra. His dad has a Vette. I have a Vette. Kid could care less. Man, he loves that Tundra. Go figure. :willy:

BigEC6 01-02-2019 11:14 PM

Well, FWIW, I live in an area filled with trucks. So I guess I understand that too. I recently traded my Ram 1500 (yes it had a Hemi) with 223K miles. I'm already thinking of getting another one.

Bruze 01-02-2019 11:14 PM

So, I live in rural NW Ohio which means garaging our Vette from December through March. During those months I try to find at least one day where it's sunny and the roads are clear, so I can take the Vette out for a run to charge the battery and get the fluids circulating. This past Sunday it was 45 degrees and sunny, so my better half and I decided to take the Vette out for a drive. As we were leaving town, I came to an intersection with a red light and stopped. I looked over at her while we were talking and noticed a roughly ten year old boy maybe ten feet away on the sidewalk staring at our car with his mouth hanging open. I waved at him while smiling and was instantly transported back to his age in my mind. I remember seeing Corvettes as a kid and thinking "Wow! I hope that I have one of those someday!" It made my whole day. I guess what I'm looking for here are similar stories from all of you. I've even had kids say "That's Lightning McQueen!" when seeing the car. What say you Vette Nation?

Some kids do, but I don't think as much as when I was that age (68 now). Today most kids don't even care about having a driver's license which seems crazy to me. All I cared about at that age was being old enough to drive legally and taking some girl's clothes off -- and the two kinda went together. ;)

jimijam 01-02-2019 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 1598610770)
. All I cared about at that age was being old enough to drive legally and taking some girl's clothes off -- and the two kinda went together. ;)

And today at that age, one of those things would be illegal unless you were at the Bunny Ranch in Nevada. ;)

WICKEDFRC 01-02-2019 11:56 PM

I think most kids today have their face looking down into a cell phone too long to even notice what is going on around them.

Walking and texting.
Skateboarding and texting.
Bicycling while texting.
Driving and texting.
Eating and texting.

I've started to make it more of a habit to leave my cell phone in the car more often now and just enjoy the freakshow happening around me.

BigEC6 01-03-2019 12:04 AM

Well, there is that. George Carlin said, "When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show!" :lol:

jimijam 01-03-2019 12:06 AM

^ on point with the social media and texting thing.

when most of us were kids, we needed a car to get chicks. we needed a job to pay for the car and gas, along with getting the chicks drunk. and without the car, there would be no chicks. kids today don't need a car or a job to get chicks, they have tinder. still no need for the job because chicks on tinder don't even need to get drunk.

BigEC6 01-03-2019 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by rkj427 (Post 1598610624)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...32ed83839a.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...31a0cb0ae9.jpg

taken in downtown Sioux Falls in 2017...……………… don't think they weren't thrilled...…………… took pictures of themselves and a few others who also sat in it and texted them to parents and friends

Now that is what I like to see! :rock:

Icecap 01-03-2019 12:08 AM

I guess what I'm looking for here are similar stories from all of you. I've even had kids say "That's Lightning McQueen!" when seeing the car. What say you Vette Nation?

We've had a few of these events that took place last summer. One near the end of the school year and summer break. We have a 2007 Indy Pace Car that normally draws attention anyway due to the color and its graphics package. My wife and I felt like going for a drive to enjoy the summer weather having driven to a sea side community and drove along the beach to enjoy the ocean view. After our drive we stopped at a nearby restaurant for a late lunch and our waitress who watched us arrive asked if we had just been to Crescent Beach when we asked why she told us she had seen the car when she was out with her family biking the beach. She told us her kids had yelled "Look, there is Lightning McQueen!" Evidently she had to go to her shift at the restaurant after the family biking outing. I asked her if she would like a picture of her sitting in it to show her kids to which she enthusiastically replied, heck yes! We put her in the drivers seat and took several pictures of her in it with her iPhone.

During the last week of school before summer break my grandson was really missing his dad who was in the military and his dad who is a warrant officer was sent away for a couple of months halfway across the country in the capacity of a trainer to another base. Knowing that he was missing his dad I phoned my daughter and told her not to pick my grandson up from school as I would pick him up with the Corvette. I left in good time so the I could get the prime parking spot right in front of his grade 3 classroom. As I watched one boy happened to look out the classroom window and quickly disappear followed by every boy in the classroom looking out. The teacher came and closed the blinds commenting "I can't compete with that" When the classroom door opened I was mobbed by the entire class as well as the kids in adjacent classrooms. My grandson spent several minutes giving and getting fist bumps and high fives before we drove off.

BigEC6 01-03-2019 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Aerovette (Post 1598610628)
Yes, they do.

​​​​​​Thank you! I love hearing that! :cool:

BigEC6 01-03-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Icecap (Post 1598610893)
We've had a few of these events one took place last summer and the other near the end of the school year and summer break. We have a 2007 Indy Pace Car that normally draws attention anyway due to the color and its graphics package. My wife and I felt like going for a drive to enjoy the summer weather having driven to a sea side community and drove along the beach to enjoy the ocean view. After our drive we stopped at a nearby restaurant for a late lunch and our waitress who watched us arrive asked if we had just been to Crescent Beach when we asked why she told us she had seen the car when she was out with her family biking the beach. She told us her kids had yelled "Look, there is Lightning McQueen!" Evidently she had to go to her shift at the restaurant after the family biking outing. I asked her if she would like a picture of her sitting in it to show her kids to which she enthusiastically replied, heck yes! We put her in the drivers seat and took several pictures of her in it with her iPhone.

During the last week of school before summer break my grandson was really missing his dad who was in the military and his dad who is a warrant officer was sent away for a couple of months halfway across the country in the capacity of a trainer to another base. Knowing that he was missing his dad I phoned my daughter and told her not to pick my grandson up from school as I would pick him up with the Corvette. I left in good time so the I could get the prime parking spot right in front of his grade 3 classroom. As I watched one boy happened to look out the classroom window and quickly disappear followed by every boy in the classroom looking out. The teacher came and closed the blinds commenting "I can't compete with that" When the classroom door opened I was mobbed by the entire class as well as the kids in adjacent classrooms. My grandson spent several minutes giving and getting fist bumps and high fives before we drove off.

That is awesome! That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Great story. Thanks for sharing!

BlindSpot 01-03-2019 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC (Post 1598610866)
I think most kids today have their face looking down into a cell phone too long to even notice what is going on around them.

Walking and texting.
Skateboarding and texting.
Bicycling while texting.
Driving and texting.
Eating and texting.

I've started to make it more of a habit to leave my cell phone in the car more often now and just enjoy the freakshow happening around me.

THIS, unfortunately and my observations too. We have a huge CC every month here in Scottsdale. I see some young kids attend, but largely, their focus seems to be like attending a party rather than a cool car show. I too park the cell phone more and more using it more as a camera than communication.

gliderdriver 01-03-2019 08:00 AM

When I was in high school - everyone I know drooled over stingrays and xkes and 911s - today, not so much.
I occasionally drive through the U of Delaware campus with the top down ... kids all over going to class but I hardly get a look ... their loss, imho ... :-)

enventr 01-03-2019 08:10 AM

When I was much younger I drooled over my neighbors 67 Vette convertible in red. I loved Corvettes back then and still do. A coworker a few years ago asked me if his young son can sit in my Vert. I told him bring him over. He sat in the drivers seat as his dad took pictures. I then gave him a short ride in it. He told his classmates and his dad gave him the pictures . That really made his day.