CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Spring Mountain expansion/insurance factor (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4228044-spring-mountain-expansion-insurance-factor.html)

Silver C7 01-03-2019 09:39 PM

Spring Mountain expansion/insurance factor

This post may not be what you think, but I invite you to read on...

I just read this post/story at Corvette Blogger...

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...erm=2019-01-04

It got me wondering...open since 2004, more than 15-hundred students (of which I am one)...what do our driving and insurance records look like? Is Spring Mountain producing better drivers? Is there enough of a sample size for it to have a positive effect on insurance rates?

Before I bought my C7 I had a pretty extensive chat with my insurance agent about the car and rates. I asked if the Corvette Owners School (COS) would give me any kind of drivers ed discount. Since the school wasn’t in New Jersey, where we live, the answer was no. We also discussed other things like convertibles, or anything with a “Z” driving up your rates. Useful information indeed. But just from the knowledge gained and execution of drills and track time, I’ll bet Spring Mountain graduates have better driving records than their counterparts. And according to the story, owners new and old keep making the trek to Pahrump, Nevada.

Again...just wondering...

Zo62018A8 01-03-2019 09:48 PM

Considering the harsh reality that most attending spring mountain are really old guys who drive their cars once a month and just keep them as a paper weight in the garage to wash and wax id say its neither helping nor hurting. I went to Spring Mountain in May of 2018 and drove a z06 auto with the z07 pack there and at 34 I was the youngest guy in the entire class. They had to switch me to another team because I was so much faster than the majority of guys there who kept driving slower than me and I had very little prior track experience.

TKgs2010 01-04-2019 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by desibaba (Post 1598616774)
Considering the harsh reality that most attending spring mountain are really old guys who drive their cars once a month and just keep them as a paper weight in the garage to wash and wax id say its neither helping nor hurting. I went to Spring Mountain in May of 2018 and drove a z06 auto with the z07 pack there and at 34 I was the youngest guy in the entire class. They had to switch me to another team because I was so much faster than the majority of guys there who kept driving slower than me and I had very little prior track experience.

:eek: Really?? Good observation there, ace. Maybe next time I'm at Spring Mountain and not washing or waxing my ZO6/ZO7 we'll see who keeps up with who, but then again mine is a manual, so you're probably too young to handle one of those. Last time there I had 3 guys in my group in their late 20's, and they couldn't hang with any of the "old" guys, so I'm thinking maybe age is only a state of mind?:woohoo:

Grand Slam 01-04-2019 12:42 AM

I doubt any insurance company would consider learning to drive on a race track to be a factor for lowering insurance. Probably not even a general driving school. Teen driver education - probably.

About the only discount us 'old guys' get is for attending a Senior driving class which, when I took it years ago, was the most boring 8 hours of my life.

Zjoe6 01-04-2019 09:42 AM

Can you imagine building a house right on their estate land? That would be one noisy place to live. No thanks. But great to visit. Can’t wait till March!!!!

hope2 01-04-2019 09:53 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f49dac822a.jpg
Big dog already lives there.

SK360 01-04-2019 10:46 AM

Had the same experience. Was 31 there in April of 2016, felt way out of place and I had previous track days and years of AutoX.

blkvet6 01-04-2019 02:42 PM

Wow, you are arrogant and insulting. You are making gross generalizations and assumptions, which are usually incorrect.

mschuyler 01-04-2019 02:56 PM

I doubt seriously that a two day course consisting mostly of running around a track makes people into better drivers. I asked my insurance company, Pemco, if I could use this course to count with their program. The answer was a resounding, "No!" The ones that count are from places like AARP or AAA, which last for two years and give you about $80 off per year.

LimeRay 01-04-2019 02:58 PM

His generalization is probably more than accurate. Everything slows down with age, reflexes, golf swings, boners, etc.

dbaker 01-04-2019 03:04 PM

Corvette owners come in all sizes,shapes,genders and ages.So,what.
This stereotypical casting is unfortunate and is ,of course sometimes true and many times untrue.

Many people are good drivers at 60+ and many are terrible at 20.

So far,I've owned 12,I'm over 65 and don't drive mine that much.I travel and still am an active Nascar driver & test driver.As a matter of fact,just renewed my license yesterday.Let's not engage in assumptions.

\db2

NashvilleGrandSport 01-04-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1598620918)
I doubt seriously that a two day course consisting mostly of running around a track makes people into better drivers. I asked my insurance company, Pemco, if I could use this course to count with their program. The answer was a resounding, "No!" The ones that count are from places like AARP or AAA, which last for two years and give you about $80 off per year.

The classes and driving exercises are much more than just that. Have you been?

They go from basic driving skills to on track in a logical and methodical structured way that should help almost any driver at some level. Lots of classroom time.

jimmbbo 01-04-2019 05:19 PM

DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER of the Most Arrogant Millennial of the Month award!!
Must be really difficult driving while giving yourself a reach around.

KnightDriveTV 01-04-2019 05:36 PM

I think Adam Boca/NCM/AMIG can vouch, that the Corvette clan is a low risk pool. While driving courses certainly help, I believe the real risk factors are the "drag racers" who lose the car going straight....i.e. check the Mustang pool.

mschuyler 01-04-2019 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport (Post 1598621001)
The classes and driving exercises are much more than just that. Have you been?

They go from basic driving skills to on track in a logical and methodical structured way that should help almost any driver at some level. Lots of classroom time.

Yes. I took the course in 2017. I know what it's like. It's two days. There couldn't possibly have been more than 8 hours of class time. About the only practical thing they did is show you how to properly use ABS brakes. There was a little bit of sliding around wet asphalt. Other than that it was going as fast as you could around the track. The fact is the insurance company says "No." It does not count as a safe driver course. It does not lower your premium. That's a fact. Sorry.

Big Lebowski 01-04-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by TKgs2010 (Post 1598617389)
:eek: Really?? Good observation there, ace. Maybe next time I'm at Spring Mountain and not washing or waxing my ZO6/ZO7 we'll see who keeps up with who, but then again mine is a manual, so you're probably too young to handle one of those. Last time there I had 3 guys in my group in their late 20's, and they couldn't hang with any of the "old" guys, so I'm thinking maybe age is only a state of mind?:woohoo:

Originally Posted by blkvet6 (Post 1598620811)
Wow, you are arrogant and insulting. You are making gross generalizations and assumptions, which are usually incorrect.

Originally Posted by jimmbbo (Post 1598621832)
DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER of the Most Arrogant Millennial of the Month award!!
Must be really difficult driving while giving yourself a reach around.

Wow, Sesibaba seems to have struck a nerve. Seriously, that post set you off? I hear older generations joking about “snowflakes”, but I have to wonder did he invade your “safe space”?

I’m neither 34 nor 65 (45)...and I didn’t take his observations as a slight. If you drive like a pro and screw like an 18 year old, then good for you...but Relax. You have to be aware that MOST (not all) of your generation do own garage queens and are noobs to this kind of event. I attended Spring Mountain 2017 in my early 40’s and I too found most of the gray hairs to be frustratingly slow. It’s an open class/event, so it comes with the territory and overall found it to be highly enjoyable.

Im going back to SM in late February and can’t wait. I’ve always driven manual, but got an A8 Z06 when I attended last time. This time I’m looking forward to driving a manual.

PHILLIP YOUNG 01-04-2019 07:36 PM

LRay!

flyforfun 01-04-2019 08:22 PM

Wow! too funny they put my picture from Spring Mountain in this article!!!

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019...ansion-update/

VistaVette 01-04-2019 09:06 PM

A: I'm an insurance agent and track classes do not count as driving school discounts.
B: when I went to Spring Mountain most of the people there were 40+ and the guys that supposedly had a lot of track experience through track days etc were no better than those of us who had little or no track time.
C: A lot of people were moved to different groups, some were slower and some we're faster.
D: Mr. Millennial: You sound like an arrogant a$$. The instructor was driving a Camaro, drinking a Big Gulp, and talking to you all while holding back so you could keep up and learn something. So talk s*"'t all you want about being faster than your class mates but it doesn't make you a proficient driver; let alone a racer.

NolanTA 01-04-2019 09:18 PM

If you didn't leave Spring Mountain a better driver than when you arrived, the trip was wasted on you.