CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   2005 Corv questions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4228646-2005-corv-questions.html)

Alex Poliakoff 01-05-2019 08:07 PM

2005 Corv questions

What harm if any is caused if I don't shift from 1st to 4th when the light displays? Lets say I shift from 1st to 3rd or 2nd.

I have a noise when I press in the clutch that goes away when it's warmed up. I think it is the throw out bearing. What's involved in changing that?

Thanks for any help.

Vette_DD 01-05-2019 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Poliakoff (Post 1598628919)
What harm if any is caused if I don't shift from 1st to 4th when the light displays? Lets say I shift from 1st to 3rd or 2nd.

I have a noise when I press in the clutch that goes away when it's warmed up. I think it is the throw out bearing. What's involved in changing that?

Thanks for any help.

If that light's lit, it won't let you shift from 1st to 2nd or 1st to 3rd.

torquetube 01-05-2019 10:28 PM

No harm. The "skip shift" or "CAGS" contraption gets GM on the numbers for fuel economy to avoid taxes. It locks out 2nd, but not 3rd or any other gear. You can disable it.

Disassemble the center console. Drop the exhaust, tunnel plate, and the entire rear end including rear suspension, gearbox, and the torque tube. The slave cylinder is inside the torque tube, at the front where the clutch is. The parts are inexpensive but the job requires many hours of labor.

rrmdeuce 01-05-2019 10:53 PM

The noise you’re hearing is the pilot bearing, runs about $2000 to repair/replace

BackInBlack05 01-05-2019 11:50 PM

A blown smart fuse replacing the original fuse will disable the skip shift. Shift light will still come on, but 2nd won't be locked out.

One of like many:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pass-fuse.html

ProfessorDeath 01-06-2019 01:43 AM

Zero harm. Just wait about .75 second for the light to turn off while your RPM drops and pick whichever gear suits your fancy. Or do the bypass or blown fuse method.

Edit: You can also give it more throttle and the skip shift will never even engage.

cadyshac 01-06-2019 11:00 AM

If someone has already installed a skip shift eliminator on your car you will still get the dash light but the lockout will not engage and you can shift to any gear you like.

Andysherman 01-06-2019 11:07 AM

It also can be disabled on a tune... and yes, a throwout bearing (anything within the bellhousing) is an expensive labor expense if done by a shop or dealer. I believe it's something like 10-12 hrs flat rate, can do the math. If you do end up going that route, suggest replacing entire clutch assy & the slave cyl & add a remote bleeder.

Ssnobrakes 01-06-2019 11:10 AM

You can just wait till 2200 RPM to bypass the skip shift and shift into 2nd......

Vette_DD 01-06-2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath (Post 1598630489)
Zero harm. Just wait about .75 second for the light to turn off while your RPM drops and pick whichever gear suits your fancy. Or do the bypass or blown fuse method.

Edit: You can also give it more throttle and the skip shift will never even engage.

:iagree:

Page 2-28 of the 2005 Owner's Manual:

One to Four Shift Light (Manual Transmission)
When this light comes on, you can only shift from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) instead of FIRST (1) to
SECOND (2).

You must complete the shift into FOURTH (4) to turn
off this feature. This helps you get the best possible
fuel economy.
After shifting to FOURTH (4), you may downshift to a
lower gear if you prefer.
Notice: Forcing the shift lever into any gear except
FOURTH (4) when the 1 TO 4 SHIFT light comes
on may damage the transmission. Shift only from
FIRST (1) to FOURTH (4) when the light comes on.

This light will come on when:
• The engine coolant temperature is higher than
169°F (76°C),
• you are going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and
• you are 21 percent throttle or less.

Alex Poliakoff 01-07-2019 01:39 AM

Car is a Z51,has 72,000 and I'm the 3rd owner. I can shift in any sequence, I still get the light sometimes when I'm in that range but someone must have defeated the blocker. I kinda figured it was for an fuel economy reason. I'll say this, that thing sure has decent torque in 4th gear. I like shifting gears, but it's fun to drive it on these twisty back roads where the speed limit is usually 45 and you have no idea what's coming at around the corner or over the hill. Could be a logging truck or a haywagon. I just leave it in 4th thru most of the corners. It just lugs down to a thou and pulls right on up without a shudder. I'm going to have to find a Chevy shop that has experience with C6's to do the clutch. I really appreciate everyones comments. I've had a bunch of 65's and 66's, a 2012 for a short time and now this one which otherwise runs great. I just don't have any experience working on C6's, and pretty much would like to keep it that way. hahaha.

BackInBlack05 01-07-2019 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Poliakoff (Post 1598636212)
Car is a Z51,has 72,000 and I'm the 3rd owner. I can shift in any sequence, I still get the light sometimes when I'm in that range but someone must have defeated the blocker. I kinda figured it was for an fuel economy reason. I'll say this, that thing sure has decent torque in 4th gear. I like shifting gears, but it's fun to drive it on these twisty back roads where the speed limit is usually 45 and you have no idea what's coming at around the corner or over the hill. Could be a logging truck or a haywagon. I just leave it in 4th thru most of the corners. It just lugs down to a thou and pulls right on up without a shudder. I'm going to have to find a Chevy shop that has experience with C6's to do the clutch. I really appreciate everyones comments. I've had a bunch of 65's and 66's, a 2012 for a short time and now this one which otherwise runs great. I just don't have any experience working on C6's, and pretty much would like to keep it that way. hahaha.

I could be wrong, but this would be a good time (clutch job) to refresh the torque tube with new bearings. Word is that Chevy will only replace the assembly, but bearings only can be installed.

Dutch08 01-08-2019 09:55 AM

Thanks for any help.

I have the exact problem symptoms as you and my pilot bearing is shot with the throw out bearing leaking. I went with Tick performance (all the parts or upgrades in one place). Although I am in process of doing this myself I don't recommend it.

Alex Poliakoff 01-11-2019 05:32 PM

Your last four words are good enough for me on this one. And I can tell by others remarks as well. Watching the video on you-tube causes me to be skeptical of someone else doing it. Of course it's not rocket science, but there is quite a bit of detail along with supporting the rear assembly. I'd like to find a clean Z06 coupe manual trans, around 2008,9, or 2010, preferably black, and preferably completely stock. I'd buy it and just sell this one outright. Let someone else fix it. I've really enjoyed this car.