CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] An amazing story, my LS7 Fraternal Twins are re-united after 4 years! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4229232-an-amazing-story-my-ls7-fraternal-twins-are-re-united-after-4-years.html)

JMB 01-07-2019 04:11 PM

An amazing story, my LS7 Fraternal Twins are re-united after 4 years!

Short Story: I found my C6 Z06 that I traded in for a C7 Z06 and just bought it back after selling my C7Z and being Corvette-less for ~2 years. She’s rejoined her LS7 700+RWHP NA Fraternal Twin, my 1988 Monte Carlo SS M6. This pic below taken ~8 years ago when I took delivery of the new C6 Z06!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6bfd57f8be.jpg

Long Story: I factory ordered a Torch Red 2011 Z06 back in early 2011, drove it for 3-1/2 years as my daily driver and put ~54.5K miles on it and absolutely loved the car. I immediately ditched the runflats and added 345 & 295 tires on the older style split spoke wheels that I really loved as opposed to the Spider wheels that it came with. The car stayed bone stock except for better quality riding shocks and brake pads generating less dust.

I bought into all of the hype of the new C7Z with its 650/650 power numbers, new body style and interior and couldn’t wait to take delivery. I traded in the C6Z in December 2014 for a new DSOM 2015 C7Z06 M7 and was one of the 1st recipients of the C7Z in the Pacific Northwest. Since it became my daily driver, I really couldn’t do any good full throttle blasts on dry warm pavement for several months and when I did, I didn’t like the Supercharger delay and M7 upper gear shifting so I sold the car 2 years later with only 4K miles on it since I only drove the car about 400 miles in the last 18 months of ownership.

I’ve been fussing as of late on what type of Corvette that I would like to buy again and briefly even flirted with the idea of buying a new ZR1 but the combination of having a supercharged motor (based on my last experience) combined with the non-tunable ECM was a non-starter. So I got the idea, maybe I should just find a nice Red C6Z like my old one and then I can modify it however I like and have the best of all worlds since OEM warranty’s don’t really concern me when it comes to modifying high performance vehicles. I started looking at used C6Z’s again wanting to keep the price no greater than the mid $30K range so I only looked at cars up to 2009. After looking for a while and not finding anything that matched what I wanted I thought that I would up the years to include 2010 & 2011 C6Z’s.

Low and behold by the strangest quirk of fate and the grace of God I saw a red 2011 C6Z that had the blacked-out headlight option for sale in Nebraska. I looked closer and saw that it had the early C6Z style split spoke wheels like my car had!!! I thought, WHOA and looked at the mileage to see that it was only ~3500 miles more than what I had on my previous C6Z when I traded it in and when I looked at the VIN number I about $hit a brick….IT WAS MY FRICKIN’ CAR that I bought new and traded in now ~1500 miles away from where I traded it in! How unbelievable…. since the Carfax checked out, I placed a request on the Facebook Corvette Owners Group to see if someone was close enough to the car to go and look at it for me. Major props to Alex Sprague who was kind enough to go take a look at it for me in snowy weather and a couple hour drive. He took pic’s and gave the car a resounding thumbs up so I bought the car and just took delivery via enclosed trailer this morning! The car is still in the basic condition that I left it, factory stock. The interior is near pristine and I will clay-bar/Zaino or Ceramic coat the exterior to bring it back to pristine since the body and factory paint are in outstanding condition just needing a little TLC.

So below is a pic of the Fraternal Twins reunited this morning (taken ~8 years after the pic above with my lousy camera phone) as I am a bit embarrassed because I have NEVER photographed and posted any pics of my cars when dirty (especially the Monte since we just moved and it was in hibernation for 3 years!).

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5eb4d1b8c6.jpg
Just wanted to share a feel-good story for a change and celebrate in rejoining the C6Z Community!

FNBADAZ06 01-07-2019 04:19 PM

That was so cool, John....when you realized what you had stumbled on !!!!!
Glad you final took re-delivery of her !!!! :thumbs:

Texasthunder 01-07-2019 04:21 PM

Good for you. What a way to start a new year. Best of luck with your "new" and "old" Corvette.

reasonable suspicion 01-07-2019 04:29 PM

Happy for you, great story!

632C2 01-07-2019 04:44 PM

This is phenomenal news John!! I know you absolutely loved that car and were very reluctant to trade it in. Cripes, what are the odds?!

Now I'm just wondering what kinds of plans you have in mind for it?

Steve

Apocolipse 01-07-2019 05:12 PM

Have to ask...what did you sell it and them rebuy it for lol. Curious if you made $.

Landru 01-07-2019 05:50 PM

Buy a lottery ticket. :lol:

Great story. :cheers:

keeso6z 01-07-2019 05:57 PM

Great story. Getting her back might have been more exciting than the first time. A lot of us do become attached to our cars. I looked at a ZR1, but just couldn't deal with giving up my C6 Z to get it. And like you, I didn't care for the supercharger lag compared to the responsiveness of the LS7. I pressed down the pedal and nothing happened, but then all hell broke loose after it did.

MTPZ06 01-07-2019 06:02 PM

Awesome story!

JMB 01-07-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Apocolipse (Post 1598640123)
Have to ask...what did you sell it and them rebuy it for lol. Curious if you made $.

Got full trade-in value at $42,500 and bought it back for $38,500....just about $1/mile lol!!!

Nowanker 01-07-2019 06:35 PM

SWEET story!
How bout some pics of the engine compartment of the Monte?

Apocolipse 01-07-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by JMB (Post 1598640632)
Got full trade-in value at $42,500 and bought it back for $38,500....just about $1/mile lol!!!

hahaha win!

MTPZ06 01-07-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nowanker (Post 1598640699)
SWEET story!

:iagree: IIRC, that thing is putting down like 700 to the wheels.

Hirohawa 01-07-2019 08:13 PM

Awesome reunion!

Che70velle 01-07-2019 09:04 PM

Cool story! Made my night. Good for you sir!

RedZ4me 01-07-2019 09:10 PM

Cool story ......and different 3 car garage/home too?

acroy 01-07-2019 09:16 PM

Thanks for sharing the story! Awesome!
I have read about your Monte in various places over the years - amazing build. Now (slight suggestion) just swap engines.... just a thought....

Mr. Gizmo 01-07-2019 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JMB (Post 1598639763)
Short Story: I found my C6 Z06 that I traded in for a C7 Z06 and just bought it back after selling my C7Z and being Corvette-less for ~2 years. She’s rejoined her LS7 700+RWHP NA Fraternal Twin, my 1988 Monte Carlo SS M6. This pic below taken ~8 years ago when I took delivery of the new C6 Z06!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6bfd57f8be.jpg

Long Story: I factory ordered a Torch Red 2011 Z06 back in early 2011, drove it for 3-1/2 years as my daily driver and put ~54.5K miles on it and absolutely loved the car. I immediately ditched the runflats and added 345 & 295 tires on the older style split spoke wheels that I really loved as opposed to the Spider wheels that it came with. The car stayed bone stock except for better quality riding shocks and brake pads generating less dust.

I bought into all of the hype of the new C7Z with its 650/650 power numbers, new body style and interior and couldn’t wait to take delivery. I traded in the C6Z in December 2014 for a new DSOM 2015 C7Z06 M7 and was one of the 1st recipients of the C7Z in the Pacific Northwest. Since it became my daily driver, I really couldn’t do any good full throttle blasts on dry warm pavement for several months and when I did, I didn’t like the Supercharger delay and M7 upper gear shifting so I sold the car 2 years later with only 4K miles on it since I only drove the car about 400 miles in the last 18 months of ownership.

I’ve been fussing as of late on what type of Corvette that I would like to buy again and briefly even flirted with the idea of buying a new ZR1 but the combination of having a supercharged motor (based on my last experience) combined with the non-tunable ECM was a non-starter. So I got the idea, maybe I should just find a nice Red C6Z like my old one and then I can modify it however I like and have the best of all worlds since OEM warranty’s don’t really concern me when it comes to modifying high performance vehicles. I started looking at used C6Z’s again wanting to keep the price no greater than the mid $30K range so I only looked at cars up to 2009. After looking for a while and not finding anything that matched what I wanted I thought that I would up the years to include 2010 & 2011 C6Z’s.

Low and behold by the strangest quirk of fate and the grace of God I saw a red 2011 C6Z that had the blacked-out headlight option for sale in Nebraska. I looked closer and saw that it had the early C6Z style split spoke wheels like my car had!!! I thought, WHOA and looked at the mileage to see that it was only ~3500 miles more than what I had on my previous C6Z when I traded it in and when I looked at the VIN number I about $hit a brick….IT WAS MY FRICKIN’ CAR that I bought new and traded in now ~1500 miles away from where I traded it in! How unbelievable…. since the Carfax checked out, I placed a request on the Facebook Corvette Owners Group to see if someone was close enough to the car to go and look at it for me. Major props to Alex Sprague who was kind enough to go take a look at it for me in snowy weather and a couple hour drive. He took pic’s and gave the car a resounding thumbs up so I bought the car and just took delivery via enclosed trailer this morning! The car is still in the basic condition that I left it, factory stock. The interior is near pristine and I will clay-bar/Zaino or Ceramic coat the exterior to bring it back to pristine since the body and factory paint are in outstanding condition just needing a little TLC.

So below is a pic of the Fraternal Twins reunited this morning (taken ~8 years after the pic above with my lousy camera phone) as I am a bit embarrassed because I have NEVER photographed and posted any pics of my cars when dirty (especially the Monte since we just moved and it was in hibernation for 3 years!).

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5eb4d1b8c6.jpg
Just wanted to share a feel-good story for a change and celebrate in rejoining the C6Z Community!

nice that you found your c6z. I let go of my c6z to get a c7z. And am not that enamored with the c7 and supercharged motor too.

Les 01-07-2019 10:43 PM

Helluva story! :thumbs: Congrats on your reunion. Live it up! :cheers:

JMB 01-08-2019 01:31 PM

Thanks guys for all of the awesome feedback and support!

Here is the build thread with pic's within:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-700-rwhp.html

Originally Posted by JMB https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/viewpost.gif
hahaha win
And actually the number was closer to $47K because of the $4200+ savings in sales tax when deducted off the C7Z final price

......and different 3 car garage/home too?
Yes, moved from WA State to AZ... there are no shortage of garages at this new Shanty...the cars are actually parked in front of a 6 car (2 car deep) fully air conditioned 40x40 Shop which is attached to the house next to an RV stall and then the daily driver 3 car garage.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...149a2e4c3c.jpg