CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Antenna cable for an 82 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4229308-antenna-cable-for-an-82-a.html)

ESU 01-07-2019 08:32 PM

Antenna cable for an 82

The cable that runs from the power antenna to the back of the radio got damaged. Looking to replace the cable but I cant seem to find one for an 82 with power antenna. Were power antennas that uncommon in C3s? Driving me crazy.

Lakeside49 01-08-2019 06:49 AM

I had to cut off the original lead (2-3 feet upstream so that it was inside the cabin out of the elements) that goes into the antenna. I cut the incorrect, useless antenna lead from the new cable. attached it to the new cable using the solder method for both the copper core (then insulated it), and the outer steel braided sheathing. My cable had been damaged by the original owner where the lead enters the radio, so this worked out well and does not appear to have degraded the radio reception which is already marginal compared to today's cars.
Good luck -

Douglas Mariani 01-08-2019 08:01 AM

Good luck...Took me 3 months to find one last year. They pop up on E-Bay

Fast81 01-08-2019 08:07 AM

Keep your eye on the C3 parts section, someone is always parting out one

ESU 01-08-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lakeside49 (Post 1598643153)
I had to cut off the original lead (2-3 feet upstream so that it was inside the cabin out of the elements) that goes into the antenna. I cut the incorrect, useless antenna lead from the new cable. attached it to the new cable using the solder method for both the copper core (then insulated it), and the outer steel braided sheathing. My cable had been damaged by the original owner where the lead enters the radio, so this worked out well and does not appear to have degraded the radio reception which is already marginal compared to today's cars.
Good luck -

I started getting poor radio reception recently and when I pulled the side cover of the console I noticed the cable was actually spliced about 4 inches before it went into the radio. Will have to recheck the splice until I can find one I guess.

ESU 01-08-2019 08:33 AM

Also been trying to find an exploded parts diagram so I can get the original part number, sometimes I get lucky searching using that number, any idea where I can find one?

Tooonz 01-08-2019 09:13 AM

Would the cable from an 81 work? If so I have an 81 that I am using for parts. I know the antenna itself is not any good but the cable might be.

KapsSA 01-08-2019 02:50 PM

Where did the cable get damaged?
The main cable that terminates behind the driver side rear speaker or the short pigtail that goes from there to the antenna?
I have a GM NOS cable, but it's longer than an original Corvette cable, you'd need to bury the excess somewhere(I don't recommend cutting these).
I MAY have an original used one out in the shop in my parts box, gotta look.
$20 shipped.

edit....I see where you say it's damaged by the radio.
Did someone change out the original antenna or radio and use a generic cable that they spliced?

ESU 01-08-2019 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tooonz (Post 1598643700)
Would the cable from an 81 work? If so I have an 81 that I am using for parts. I know the antenna itself is not any good but the cable might be.

I don’t see why not if it was a power antenna. Any chance u could take a pic of the end that attaches to the antenna? That seems to be where the difference is.

ESU 01-08-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by KapsSA (Post 1598645950)
Where did the cable get damaged?
The main cable that terminates behind the driver side rear speaker or the short pigtail that goes from there to the antenna?
I have a GM NOS cable, but it's longer than an original Corvette cable, you'd need to bury the excess somewhere(I don't recommend cutting these).
I MAY have an original used one out in the shop in my parts box, gotta look.
$20 shipped.

edit....I see where you say it's damaged by the radio.
Did someone change out the original antenna or radio and use a generic cable that they spliced?

The original radio was changed at one time but is now back in the car. How it got damaged is beyond me. I’d be interested in the cable if the end that attaches to the antenna is the same.

KapsSA 01-08-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ESU (Post 1598646357)

The original radio was changed at one time but is now back in the car. How it got damaged is beyond me. I’d be interested in the cable if the end that attaches to the antenna is the same.

My cable will connect to a factory antenna, probably not to any aftermarket.
And I don't have the used original I thought I might have, just the long NOS one.

ESU 01-08-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by KapsSA (Post 1598647883)
My cable will connect to a factory antenna, probably not to any aftermarket.
And I don't have the used original I thought I might have, just the long NOS one.

the antenna I have is a repop of an original.

ESU 01-11-2019 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tooonz (Post 1598643700)

this is what my setup looks like, if yours from the 81 is in good shape I'd be interested in it for sure.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...52f1536fe8.jpg

KapsSA 01-11-2019 04:28 PM

There should be a connector behind the driver side rear speaker, a correct hex connection. Basically a splice in the cable for easier access to the antenna.
My cable will fit that, not the one at the antenna.

ESU 01-11-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by KapsSA (Post 1598666618)
There should be a connector behind the driver side rear speaker, a correct hex connection. Basically a splice in the cable for easier access to the antenna.

lll see if I can check it tomorrow. Don’t remember a connection when I did the speakers but certainly possible.

ESU 01-12-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by KapsSA (Post 1598666618)

Had to pull the vette out for something else this morning so I pulled the speaker and yes there is a hex connection back there, so Im interested in your cable.