CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   1982 Collectors Edition O2 Sensor replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4229444-1982-collectors-edition-o2-sensor-replacement.html)

Delafield2000 01-08-2019 09:55 AM

1982 Collectors Edition O2 Sensor replacement

The CEL comes on after about 15 minutes of driving and stays on from a couple of minutes to 10 minutes, and then goes off for a while.
OBD says its code 13 which relates to the O2 sensor.

I'm a newbie when it comes to repairs (but want to start doing my own). Does this point to a faulty O2 sensor that I should replace?
Ecklers has them for about $20 so I figure I'll try the repair on my own rather than getting ripped of by a mechanic. Any tips on doing
the replacement would be greatly appreciated.

speedreed8 01-08-2019 10:06 AM

Rockauto has it for $10

Big2Bird 01-08-2019 12:00 PM

Buy/rent the correct tool. Special sockets make it easier.

Buccaneer 01-08-2019 12:21 PM

Owning a 82/84 CF corvette is unique and requires some special maintenance from time to time. The BEST advise I can give you is to buy a GM Shop Manual off of eBay, do not waste your time and money on Chilton manuals and the like. The GM Shop Manuals are available and worth their weight in gold for a car that is now 37 years old. Also, DO NOT mess with the throttle bodies unless you know exactly what you are doing or you WILL screw them up and the motor WILL run badly. Here is the info you seek right from the GM manual. As you can see, it could also be the ECM, but probaly the O2 sensor. Good luck with your 82. :thumbs:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...bd39bd79f5.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f26c4821ad.jpg

cv67 01-08-2019 12:58 PM

If it really is your 02 sensor try and get a Delco if you can, those arent a good place to save money. Some have gotten lucky with cheaper stuff, it always cost me more to do it over.

Best to spend $80 on a Delco than $25 and fail smog or the CEL randomly come on. Tech explained how some brands dont have the right range..the newer the car the more sensitive they are to this. Had smog problems for yrs due to this, had no idea.

Big2Bird 01-08-2019 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1598645261)
If it really is your 02 sensor try and get a Delco if you can, those arent a good place to save money. Some have gotten lucky with cheaper stuff, it always cost me more to do it over.

^^^^This^^^

Delafield2000 01-08-2019 10:58 PM

Thanks!

7T1vette 01-09-2019 08:47 AM

While the code lists the O2 sensor as the "cause", it might also be that your catalytic converter is not fully up to its task. You should replace that sensor. But if the CEL comes on and you still get that code, look into the condition of your CAT.

Gunfighter13 01-09-2019 11:28 PM

AC/DELCO on RockAuto for 12.07 plus shipping. No need to pay dealer price.

6mn Vette 08-27-2020 07:21 PM

The Bosch 12014 is not a good choice? It's going to give me problems? I bought it years ago and never installed it. The Delco is only ~$23, so it isn't that I can't do the Delco. I hate tossing the Bosch that I can't return unless it's going to give me issues on my stock '82. Also, it's been awhile since I crawled up under the car to look at it. I do have the O2 socket. But, it looks like it's behind a cover on that exhaust collector. Just a quick question if the cover just comes off somehow.

UPDATE: The cover came off easy as it had 6 little screws. After letting the car idle for a few minutes to heat up the exhaust, an impact gun and the correct O2 socket got the job done.

Jebbysan 08-28-2020 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 6mn Vette (Post 1602084819)
The Bosch 12014 is not a good choice? It's going to give me problems? I bought it years ago and never installed it. The Delco is only ~$23, so it isn't that I can't do the Delco. I hate tossing the Bosch that I can't return unless it's going to give me issues on my stock '82. Also, it's been awhile since I crawled up under the car to look at it. I do have the O2 socket. But, it looks like it's behind a cover on that exhaust collector. Just a quick question if the cover just comes off somehow.

The Bosch should work fine. The reason it threw a 13 code is because one wire O2 sensors are very limited on their range or window......this window tightens with age and contamination.
Make sure you use the socket as suggested by Big2Bird......make sure there is a dab of anti seize on the threads when you install.
Put it in and reset the computer. If it does not come back....then success. I have had good luck with Bosch sensors over the years as long as they are not heated.....a story for another time.

Jebby

6mn Vette 08-28-2020 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jebbysan (Post 1602087232)
The Bosch should work fine. The reason it threw a 13 code is because one wire O2 sensors are very limited on their range or window......this window tightens with age and contamination.
Make sure you use the socket as suggested by Big2Bird......make sure there is a dab of anti seize on the threads when you install.
Put it in and reset the computer. If it does not come back....then success. I have had good luck with Bosch sensors over the years as long as they are not heated.....a story for another time.

Jebby

Thanks! I actually don't know if I have an O2 code yet. But I'm fairly certain the O2 is the original from '82. I've had the Bosch O2 and socket for awhile now and just hadn't got around to it. Now's the time while I'm doing some maintenance. It has some anti-seize on it. I'm hoping an impact will be sufficient to get out the old one.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...87ec549d27.jpg

Jebbysan 08-28-2020 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 6mn Vette (Post 1602087259)
Thanks! I actually don't know if I have an O2 code yet. But I'm fairly certain the O2 is the original from '82. I've had the Bosch O2 and socket for awhile now and just hadn't got around to it. Now's the time while I'm doing some maintenance. It has some anti-seize on it. I'm hoping an impact will be sufficient to get out the old one.

If it doesn't break loose with moderate effort.....apply heat with Oxy/Acet torch.....if you force it out...it WILL booger up the threads.....although they do make an O2 thread chaser.

Jebby

6mn Vette 09-07-2020 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jebbysan (Post 1602087288)
If it doesn't break loose with moderate effort.....apply heat with Oxy/Acet torch.....if you force it out...it WILL booger up the threads.....although they do make an O2 thread chaser.

Jebby

I let the car run for a few minutes to heat up the exhaust and O2 sensor. Using the O2 socket and my handy cordless impact, I was able to get the old one out and install the new one (adding some anti-seize to the threads, of course).

cv67 09-07-2020 07:50 PM

Had the same luck with Bosch on an 02 truck, it takes 4. 1 was bad, the other didnt read correctly..so was sold some cats I didnt need (muffler guy did good that day$). GM 02s solved the problem

02s on these older cars are kind of a maintenance item, they get lazy over time. Fortunately they are cheap and easy to replace. Plus theres only