CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   66 without power brakes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4229943-66-without-power-brakes.html)

12zo 01-09-2019 04:32 PM

66 without power brakes

Would a ‘66 without power brakes slow you down from considering a purchase?
If you liked everything else would you consider a purchase and upgrade the brakes?
How would that upgrade effect resale and value?

Avispa 01-09-2019 04:54 PM

The only way you're gonna know whether non-PB will deter you from buying is to drive the car and see if you like it. Everything else is just personal opinion of whoever is responding. That said, PB conversion is entirely possible. There are many threads on here about just that issue. Conversions can be as simple as fitting a vacuum booster to the current master cylinder or a complete PB conversion kit with an expensive repop 65/66 PB master cylinder and booster. Pays your money, takes your choice.

dcamick 01-09-2019 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 12zo (Post 1598652952)
Would a ‘66 without power brakes slow you down from considering a purchase?
If you liked everything else would you consider a purchase and upgrade the brakes?
How would that upgrade effect resale and value?

Conversion to Power Assist or a Disk Brake conversion would be a big improvement.....Not that familiar with the C2 equipment. I'm assuming drum brakes?!!?? Was there a "Disk Delete" Option in 1966???

I converted to Disk Brakes on my 61 just for better performance and safety......I'm not that worried about resale on those types of upgrades. Save the Parts!!!

JMO!!

Best,
Dcamick

Nowhere Man 01-09-2019 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dcamick (Post 1598653131)
Conversion to Power Assist or a Disk Brake conversion would be a big improvement.....Not that familiar with the C2 equipment. I'm assuming drum brakes?!!?? Was there a "Disk Delete" Option in 1966???

I converted to Disk Brakes on my 61 just for better performance and safety......I'm not that worried about resale on those types of upgrades. Save the Parts!!!

JMO!!

Best,
Dcamick

ALL 66 Corvette had four wheel disk brakes. I could care less if a mid year had them or not.

dcamick 01-09-2019 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Avispa (Post 1598653085)
The only way you're gonna know whether non-PB will deter you from buying is to drive the car and see if you like it. Everything else is just personal opinion of whoever is responding. That said, PB conversion is entirely possible. There are many threads on here about just that issue. Conversions can be as simple as fitting a vacuum booster to the current master cylinder or a complete PB conversion kit with an expensive repop 65/66 PB master cylinder and booster. Pays your money, takes your choice.

I agree...Drive it! If you like it.....that's important!

Tmichaelson 01-09-2019 05:24 PM

If you know the car is right for you and the price is right I wouldn’t let the non power brakes be the deciding factor not to buy. I have driven a 1966 L79 off and on for 50 years and never thought of nor missed P/B’s. As already mentioned they can be added later if you decide you absolutely need them. Yes they might add value but the overall car itself is the most important part of your decision.

GTOguy 01-09-2019 05:28 PM

If I had or was considering a Sting Ray without power brakes, I wouldn't bother to add them. No need to, IMO.

Tom Austin 01-09-2019 05:33 PM

I've had my '66 for 43 years - I think it stops just fine without power brakes!

DansYellow66 01-09-2019 06:21 PM

Pedal pressure on manual brakes is a bit high - they were designed that way back then. Pads can make some difference on response. Stomp on them and you will stop.

colo63sw 01-09-2019 06:39 PM

Your leg muscles are the strongest muscles you have, I would much rather have power steering. If you avoid extremely wet driving conditions you won't even know you don't have disc brakes.

Lack of PB doesn't even warrant consideration when buying an old car.

1Cerberus4u 01-09-2019 06:50 PM

I bought my 65 BB vert without PB or PS.... Upgrading now. Don't regret the purchase at all and had fun last summer driving it, but no question now that I also own a ps, pb car too. You should put that on

markdonc 01-09-2019 06:58 PM

I got a 66 w/o.power brakes more than 5 yrs ago. I never even thought about it.

dplotkin 01-09-2019 07:27 PM

I'm willing to bet that anyone who started life with a stock assisted disk brake 65-66 and who then spent meaningful time with a manual would conclude, perhaps only to himself, that the non-assisted brakes require marginally more effort, provide better feel and are far easier to modulate at the onset of lockup - which is easier to detect.

It is my view that power brakes on a 65-66 bring nothing to the party. Think of them as a condom for your leg. You like pussy brakes, fine. So do I. I have them on 7 of my 8 cars. But not my Corvette.

Power steering? I have no choice as most of the rest of my cars are the size of small homes and in most cases standard equipment. My Corvette is sans power steering - unavailable with L78. Impala steering is not improved with an Impala power ram only made numb and ridiculously overboosted. The manual box, such as it is, I think is better rebuilt and left alone. Naturally for those of us who need these assists to be able to enjoy the car I understand. But for those who can, and want to enjoy all this car has to offer and feel it while doing so, I would choose manual brakes and steering every time.

Dan

SonnyAK 01-09-2019 10:33 PM

I have a '66 that originally had no PB or PS. The previous owner added PB and that certainly didn't negatively affect my buying the car. I would have been happy either way since I really liked the car overall. That said, if they weren't previously added, then I wouldn't have worried with it. I'm a big fan of the no PS too...sometimes a pain when parking a BB car but I like the feel on the road and that's when it really matters.

3JsVette 01-09-2019 11:18 PM

Non power brakes on a mid year that other than that was "the car" for me would not discourage me in the least.
As by now you can see it's the same feelings most of the previous posts are sharing.
Good luck if you decide to make the purchase.

BB767 01-10-2019 02:16 AM

Prefer Manual Brakes

I suspect I'm a somewhat rare individual. I presently own 2 '66 cars. One with power brakes and one with manual brakes. I sometimes drive them back to back and frankly I prefer the brake pedal feel of the manual brake car. These are relatively light weight cars with powerful 4 wheel disc brakes and power brakes are hardly needed.

I'd say dplotkin nailed it in his post # 13; although I'd never thought of power bakes as a condom for my leg or heard power brakes described as pussy brakes. I have to admit, using sexual terms for brakes is a new concept to me that might take a while to fully appreciate. I have learned something new today on the Forum!

Most respectfully, Thomas

swissie 01-10-2019 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by BB767 (Post 1598655704)
I suspect I'm a somewhat rare individual. I presently own 2 '66 cars. One with power brakes and one with manual brakes. I sometimes drive them back to back and frankly I prefer the brake pedal feel of the manual brake car. These are relatively light weight cars with powerful 4 wheel disc brakes and power brakes are hardly needed.

I couldn't agree more! I have enjoyed my '66 for more than 15 years and never missed PB. The '63 I got last year has PB and I don't like the pedal feel.

Frankie the Fink 01-10-2019 07:13 AM

Not to stray from the topic but 63 original power brakes have a scary pedal feel and the shop manual says if they bottom out at just 1" off the toeboard they are within spec. Makes for heart stopping braking. I put a different push rod/clevis on to raise them up a couple more inches MUCH better feel..

dahogan 01-10-2019 07:44 AM

I bought my '66 L79 10 years ago and the lack of PB didnt influence my decision to buy at all. A few years back, I did contemplate adding a booster but midyearvette who also owns a '66 told me it wasnt necessary. Reading the above posts, it sounds like he was right.

rayL79 01-10-2019 07:56 AM

I love the manual brakes on my '66 L79.