CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Painting in winter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4230395-painting-in-winter.html)

Novusuhu 01-10-2019 07:06 PM

Painting in winter

Hey guys

I will start painting my engine this weekend. I already did the cleaning and prep.
Will be using POR15 rust preventive coating on some places and two coats of Chevy orange enamel for the whole engine (also from the POR15 brand).
I already painted my waterpump with the POR15 stuff and orange enamel, and it came out very nice! The paint is as hard as a rock, and it looks brand new! Will post a picture soon.

The waterpump was painted inside my 'warm' garage (not enough space for the vette in there). As said in a post before, I will paint the engine while it's in the bay.
The car is currently on a 4-post bridge in my hangar. All pulleys, brackets etc. are removed for painting, so car can't drive. Everything seems OK to begin with the painting, but I've got one problem...
It's only 35-45 F in the hangar. The POR15 discription states that it has to be at least 50 F.

Is temperature that important for painting? Or is 35 F good enough?
Will it just take longer for the paint to dry in the colder temp. or will there be other side effects?

BLUE1972 01-10-2019 08:59 PM

I would call them and get their opinion.

When I was in the composite industry we would build a "heat box" out of 2x2's and plastic to cure the parts in the winter. Just be sure the heater is explosion proof.

Rescue Rogers 01-11-2019 08:28 AM

I never paint below 50. You just get a crappy job, the paint doesnt dry well. It doesnt stick to the cold steel. The pressure in th he can can change and the cold fluid tends to congeal when it comes out of the nozzle. And it fish eyes a bit easier. it just looks like crap and you will be wasting time and money

Novusuhu 01-11-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers (Post 1598663232)
I never paint below 50. You just get a crappy job, the paint doesnt dry well. It doesnt stick to the cold steel. The pressure in th he can can change and the cold fluid tends to congeal when it comes out of the nozzle. And it fish eyes a bit easier. it just looks like crap and you will be wasting time and money

I will apply the paint with a brush. No spraying.

Rescue Rogers 01-11-2019 11:22 AM

Grab a piece of scrap steel and paint it to see what the results will be. I would get the paint and paint can good and warm and mix it thoroughly before hand.

68notray 01-12-2019 07:59 PM

Why the POR15 on an engine? I would never use that on an engine

71 Vert LS1 01-12-2019 09:16 PM

I've had really good luck with the VHT high temp with ceramic on my LS engines. My shop while painting with spray cans is 65-70 degrees. Never used POR 15 on anything. Not to say it's not good but if your parts aren't rusty why use it?
Second thought make everything rust free and have it sprayed by a local body shop. Be careful on the pulleys. The paint can make the belts slip.

Rodnok1 01-12-2019 09:25 PM

I don't paint anything below 50 if thay cold even, doesn't adhere well or doesn't cure properly. You have to get the steel nice and warm and keep it warm for days, just not wort the risk of doing it in the cold.