CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Inherited 1973 Stingray, what now?f (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4230474-inherited-1973-stingray-what-now-f.html)

cmontym3 01-10-2019 11:14 PM

Inherited 1973 Stingray, what now?f

Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum, but I need some help. I recently inherited a 1973 Corvette from my Uncle. It's a hardtop convertible, side pipes, not sure about anything else yet. Car is rough, I know it's been sitting for about 20 years in Indiana. What should my first steps be to getting it checked out? I would like to keep it and fix it up to be a fun driver, no interest in show quality restoration. I will get more pictures soon. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

NONN37 01-10-2019 11:31 PM

maybe first try and find the reason it was parked.

vettebuyer6369 01-10-2019 11:38 PM

‘73 roadster is kinda different, could be a cool car. Sidepipes suggest it might be modified. Lots to find out. Post some pictures and you will get plenty of input. :cheers:

cmontym3 01-10-2019 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369 (Post 1598662348)
‘73 roadster is kinda different, could be a cool car. Sidepipes suggest it might be modified. Lots to find out. Post some pictures and you will get plenty of input. :cheers:

No way of knowing why it was parked years ago, my uncle and grandpa who knew anything about it are both passed away. So I'm turning to the forums for help.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...644178bdf.jpeg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cda77c15a.jpeg

general ike 01-11-2019 12:05 AM

Fuel air and spark are the basics clean out the gas tank, fuel lines and carb. Drain the oil from the motor and Tranny and radiator. See if the engine spins. Pull the plugs and drop some penetrating oil in there. Lots to do look for previous forum posts on how peopl awoke sleeping vettes. ike.

vettz73 01-11-2019 01:11 AM

^^^ agree

Since the car has been sitting for about 20 years, there will be a good possibility that rodents may have set up house in either the engine bay or under the dash. So you'll want to check the condition of the insulation on all your wires before installing a new battery to prevent any electrical shorts from occurring.

cmontym3 01-11-2019 01:13 AM

Sounds good, thank you for the advice! Any idea on what wheels and side pipes are on this car?

vettebuyer6369 01-11-2019 01:23 AM

Center cap looks like the old Superior wheel logo, although I don’t recognize that wheel design.

The sidepipes appear to be Hooker header side exhaust, popular in the 70s.

Z06LMB 01-11-2019 04:06 AM

F60 15 Belted are some old tires, likely the very next set of tires bought after uncle wore out the the factory tires.

hunt4cleanair 01-11-2019 04:22 AM

Yeah and once you get it running with new rubber, check the brakes thoroughly before sporting around the block. It would be prudent to include a full brake restoration including master cylinder and four brake calipers.

sug 01-11-2019 04:38 AM

Welcome to the forum .Looks like a great project . :thumbs:

Gordonm 01-11-2019 06:59 AM

Make sure it stops and steers first. No matter how fast or slow you want to go it has to stop and steer. Make sure these systems are up and working correctly for sure. I would not even think about driving it before this stuff is checked. I’ll put money on new calipers and MC after sitting for so long. The PS system is for sure going to leak. As for the motor the advice above is good advice. Take your time and do it right and you will be a happy driver.

Dynra Rockets 01-11-2019 07:43 AM

Love those period wheels!

In for pics of the engine and interior

Tooch1 01-11-2019 08:22 AM

:woohoo:Nice to see that you will be bringing another '73 back to life! Take it one step at a time and heed the advice from the suggestions listed above. I don't see the 454 emblem on the hood, so we know it's a small block but won't know for sure if it's the base or the L82 350 until we get a peek under the hood. For sure you have a few positives in your favor right now. It was inherited so you didn't pay anything for it, so all your restoration money will be just that moving forward. Your definitely ahead of the game there. Next, it's a roadster with the hardtop included. That 's usually a $1,200.00 to $1,800.00 + added expense to obtain. Another major positive in your favor! If it happens to be a four speed with air, PS, and PB another plus!! Can't wait to see more pics. Hopefully the birdcage and frame aren't rusted. I'd like to wish you good luck with it if you decide to move forward. If I can ever be of any help with your questions just let me know:thumbs:
Oh! I forgot to add one more positive in your favor.............it's RED!!! :cheers:
Tooch

derekderek 01-11-2019 09:29 AM

First get the junk off the roof, get it outside and give it a bath. Next get a battery. Change oil. Drain coolant. Pull plugs, .squirt WD or similar in plug holes. Next day spin motor with starter. Now you can start looking for spark and fuel. Tires are 30 years old. They may pop pushing it around driveway. Where are you? Up north in antifreeze country, it down south where you can fill cooling system with water? Just long enough to leak test. 11 buck a gallon antifreeze is messy all over garage or driveway.

chstitans42 01-11-2019 10:15 AM

I wish I inherited a C3. Doubt I ever will!

carriljc 01-11-2019 10:25 AM

It's been inside, on concrete, and looks fairly clean. Perhaps share some more pictures of the interior, engine, and drivetrain underneath.

cmontym3 01-11-2019 01:02 PM

I won’t know anymore until my brother gets there this weekend. Car has lived its life in central Indiana. I’m as excited as you guys are to see more pictures and hopefully discover the story of this car!

theandies 01-11-2019 01:15 PM

The first thing you need to ask yourself is if you can do all the work safely and reliably and go from there. If you have the $$$ to pay someone else to do the work then you are golden but if you don't have the $$$ then you'd have to do it yourself or have a good mechanic friend to help. '73 are a special year as they are the only year to have chrome bumpers in the rear and the rubber bumper in the front. I've always like that look. Good luck and don't be a stranger here as there are a lot of experienced members here that can help with every problem you will find.

Auggievf 01-11-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets (Post 1598663042)
In for pics of the engine and interior

Same.

You will find a wealth of information in previous threads and from current members here. This forum is the best thing when you need help or encouragement. I'm certainly no mechanic and I wouldn't have the guts to do half of what I do on mine without the resources here.

Odds are that at least one person has done pretty much anything you could want to do and wrote about it.

Read, enjoy and strap in for a great ride.