CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Stone Chips-Who Cares? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4230642-stone-chips-who-cares.html)

C5_ 01-11-2019 01:39 PM

Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Do you obsess over stone chips? Do you accept them as a price to pay for the privilege of owning a vette? Do you take reasonable precautions to avoid stone chips? How much do or did stone chips decrease the value of your vette?

KenHorse 01-11-2019 01:39 PM

I have a clear bra so no. I don't worry about chips :thumbs:

Kevin A Jones 01-11-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by C5_ (Post 1598665440)
Do you obsess over stone chips? Do you accept them as a price o pay for the privilege of owning a vette? Do you take reasonable precautions to avoid stone chips? Do stone chips decrease thevalue vette?

No, I don't obsess over getting stone chips but certainly don't want any. And I haven't and will not spend $2000>$3000 to cover car with film. I can fix A LOT of damage for that. I have a GS with the factory skirts and added GM front and rear splash guards.
I don't have any stone chips yet but I attribute that to driving with good old fashion common sense as much as anything.

Deepdiver 01-11-2019 02:01 PM

I have PPF and not a care in the world about stone chips. :)

WICKEDFRC 01-11-2019 02:06 PM

17,000+ miles. I had 2 tiny chips that were easily fixable with an Arctic White paint pen for $14.00.

While the clear film does protect against rock chips, it looks like ass when it fades.

And if the clear film gets damaged, will one replace it costing more money or look at the damaged clear film?

Paint pen works fine.

Sconn 01-11-2019 02:10 PM

I worry about getting chips. But I'm not gonna pay for ppf when I know I won't keep the car forever.

I just try to stay far behind people when on the highway and I'll use Dr Colorchip to fix the ones that are inevitable.

Deepdiver 01-11-2019 02:11 PM

The new generation of PPF does not fade or yellow and comes with a 10 yr warranty. You must be thinking of the old 3M stuff from the mid 2000's.

Roastum1 01-11-2019 02:24 PM

I keep her cleaned off and waxed good. Sure it gets a few every now and then but it gives it character. Not going to last for ever. If you are ocd stay away from black thats why i drive torch red now. Also novisterch works pretty good at keeping nicks away for 100 dollars. I just personally cant see spending 2500.00 for xpel.

KenHorse 01-11-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC (Post 1598665637)
17,000+ miles. I had 2 tiny chips that were easily fixable with an Arctic White paint pen for $14.00.

While the clear film does protect against rock chips, it looks like ass when it fades.

And if the clear film gets damaged, will one replace it costing more money or look at the damaged clear film?

Paint pen works fine.

Originally Posted by Deepdiver (Post 1598665683)
The new generation of PPF does not fade or yellow and comes with a 10 yr warranty. You must be thinking of the old 3M stuff from the mid 2000's.

Yup...never been a problem with Xpel :thumbs:

(not to mention NO SWIRL MARKS!!!)

Bavaria 01-11-2019 02:29 PM

The first stone chip was the result of an airborne stone hitting the center of the hood about a foot in front of the windshield. The installed bra and most of the areas protected by film didn't and couldn't prevent this occurrence. Touchup paint greatly helped, as does my opinion these things will happen, especially when most of my driving is done in excess of 70 mph. C'est la vie!

KenHorse 01-11-2019 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bavaria (Post 1598665871)
The installed bra and most of the areas protected by film didn't and couldn't prevent this occurrence.

It would if you have the entire hood done (as many of us have)

Bavaria 01-11-2019 02:58 PM

Then it would have hit the roof.

449er 01-11-2019 03:02 PM

Yes I do care about stone chips, Xpel is the answer

MMD 01-11-2019 03:03 PM

Can someone with PPF installed on their car do us folks who are on the fence about installing PPF? Can you go out to you vehicle and pick up a few stones about 2-3 inches wide. Throw the stones as hard as you can at your hood/front fascia. I have estimated you will be able to toss the stones about 60 MPH (unless you are a professional ball player). The purpose in doing this test would be to illustrate how well PPF will protect your vehicle against normal road conditions and taking a hit from a gravel truck driving at 60 MPH spewing gravel off the back of their truck like those I see so often on the Interstates. This test would be very beneficial to us as it would demostrate how effective PPF really is. Please post some close-up pics. Thanks in advance.

Mayor111 01-11-2019 03:07 PM

Spend $160 and get yourself a NoviStretch bra and you will never have an issue with chipped paint on your front bumper - its the quickest and cheapest solution:

OmarZ06 01-11-2019 03:09 PM

I do care about rock chips, I have a fit if I find one and then immediately all my time is spent trying to fix it 🤔.

MMD 01-11-2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mayor111 (Post 1598666126)
Spend $160 and get yourself a NoviStretch bra and you will never have an issue with chipped paint on your front bumper - its the quickest and cheapest solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Stin...ds=novistretch

Can't use your camera. I have one.

Skid Row Joe 01-11-2019 03:11 PM

The PPF costs and sketchy warranties are the issue with me. If they're so great in performance, why not a lifetime guarantee? 10 years isn't of value to me for the 💲💲💲. Far better value to pay for paint touching up than the several thou$ands in lost opportunity value on a sketchy product.

Skid Row Joe 01-11-2019 03:15 PM

I'm in for this too:

KenHorse 01-11-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MMD (Post 1598666101)
Can someone with PPF installed on their car do us folks who are on the fence about installing PPF? Can you go out to you vehicle and pick up a few stones about 2-3 inches wide. Throw the stones as hard as you can at your hood/front fascia. I have estimated you will be able to toss the stones about 60 MPH (unless you are a professional ball player). The purpose in doing this test would be to illustrate how well PPF will protect your vehicle against normal road conditions and taking a hit from a gravel truck driving at 60 MPH spewing gravel off the back of their truck like those I see so often on the Interstates. This test would be very beneficial to us as it would demostrate how effective PPF really is. Please post some close-up pics. Thanks in advance.

Strawman :rolleyes:

First of all, most road debris is not "2-3 inches wide". VERY little would protect against that.

Secondly, if you're following a truck doing 60 MPH and you're also going 60 MPH, the relative velocity between you and any debis falling off that truck is SUBSTANTIALLY less than 60 MPH (*MAYBE* 10 to 15 MPH)