CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   C3 paint question (Bridgehampton blue) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4230714-c3-paint-question-bridgehampton-blue.html)

KWIL 01-11-2019 05:00 PM

C3 paint question (Bridgehampton blue)

Anyone know if the paint code/ formula changed over the years for Bridgehampton blue? Or was it always the same? Reason I ask is because my 80 was repainted in bhb about 15 years ago and I recently bought some custom made touch up paint in bottles and rattle cans online. I used the code for 1971 corvette bhb for the touch up paint, but can't remember the code i used 15 years ago.

Turns out this paint is waaay darker than my cars paint, so the repairs look pretty bad. I didn't expect an exact match but this is not even close.
Thanks

Tonio 01-11-2019 05:55 PM

I’ve yet to see two repainted bhb cars that match identically. Who knows what the repainter did, and 15 years is a long time for paint to fade.

BLUE1972 01-11-2019 06:54 PM

Take the car to a paint supply shop and they have color cameras that will match the color almost perfect.

caskiguy 01-11-2019 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by KWIL (Post 1598666797)
Anyone know if the paint code/ formula changed over the years for Bridgehampton blue? Or was it always the same? Reason I ask is because my 80 was repainted in bhb about 15 years ago and I recently bought some custom made touch up paint in bottles and rattle cans online. I used the code for 1971 corvette bhb for the touch up paint, but can't remember the code i used 15 years ago.

Turns out this paint is waaay darker than my cars paint, so the repairs look pretty bad. I didn't expect an exact match but this is not even close.
Thanks

This may help you .http://paintref.com/paintref/index.shtml

:flag:

caskiguy 01-11-2019 08:26 PM

Thanks

You may send Craig a private message asking him what the mix was for his paint, he just had his car painted.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-journey.html

caskiguy 01-11-2019 08:26 PM

Thanks

You may send Craig a private message asking him what the mix was for his paint, he just had his car painted.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...1-journey.html

caskiguy 01-11-2019 08:29 PM

Thanks

Contact Craig as he just finished his BB paint
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ourney-69.html

Sorry for the duplicate post

general ike 01-11-2019 08:31 PM

Yeah Those touch up kits are out for most people. Repaints, fade etc, no way are you matching. Best bet is to take a part, t-tops work to a auto paint sore that matches and see what they can do for you. They can also put it into a spray can as well. Ike

7T1vette 01-11-2019 08:45 PM

The biggest problem with Bridgehampton Blue is that its paint code is 979...for 1970 and 1971 ONLY!!

Why is that important? Because in 1972, GM paint 'geniuses' decided to RE-USE code 979 as Targa Blue, which is a very different color.

I can't tell you how many 1970 and 1971 cars that were supposed to be Bridgehampton Blue got repainted Targa Blue by mistake. I guess their painters looked up code 979 and found it to be Targa Blue (1972) and never looked any farther...assuming that the 979 paint code was never used for another color.

KWIL 01-12-2019 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1598668263)
The biggest problem with Bridgehampton Blue is that its paint code is 979...for 1970 and 1971 ONLY!!

Why is that important? Because in 1972, GM paint 'geniuses' decided to RE-USE code 979 as Targa Blue, which is a very different color.

I can't tell you how many 1970 and 1971 cars that were supposed to be Bridgehampton Blue got repainted Targa Blue by mistake. I guess their painters looked up code 979 and found it to be Targa Blue (1972) and never looked any farther...assuming that the 979 paint code was never used for another color.

Interesting. I'll bet that's what happened. Thanks everyone for the help.

ED DINAPOLI 01-12-2019 06:48 PM

Yes, when ordering paint with the 979 paint code you must indicate the year. No matter which color bhb or targa, this is a difficult color to match as this is a metallic paint. The metal flake particles have changed over the years, in size and material and depending what year paint and material you are trying to match, you will struggle with trying to match what is there. Good luck
Ed

JohnnyQuik 01-12-2019 09:09 PM

I resprayed the driver side front fender after repairing a nice size gash from a large rock suffered while on an open trailer on the Interstate. It is possible to match the paint, finish, and even to blend clearcoat if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...aef34aac8b.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...abf7913c07.jpg

CraigH 01-13-2019 01:20 AM

Another thing to consider is the original paint codes were all from the day of lacquer paints that had very different pigments from those in use today.

i had some original dealer paint samples from 71 to compare as well as the multiple tint differences that existed on my 71 that had been sprayed in the us a number of years back.

we found from the paint code gun he closest it could find was....

Suzuki Brilliant Blue Pearl Metallic Z7K M3467 2000 Suzuki Swift and Vitara

My hood had been shot in that wen I changed it a few years back and it was a fairky good matchexcept under strong flouro
Lights whee you could find a slight tint difference.

however we added a bit of green to it to get it closer to what I thought it should be.

i agree re no 2 looking the same and in the end I got them to spray out some mixes that in the end I liked and went with.

previously I had purchased. Touch ups from a number of vendors and they were all slightly different.

DUB 01-13-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik (Post 1598674309)
I resprayed the driver side front fender after repairing a nice size gash from a large rock suffered while on an open trailer on the Interstate. It is possible to match the paint, finish, and even to blend clearcoat if you know what you're doing and have the right equipment.

YES...beign able to BLEND a color is one thing versus that of butt matching a color or trying to use it to fill in a chip.

The camera that paint suppliers have will NOT guarantee a perfect color match due to they draw from their data base of paint formulas and search for a color that best matches it and it can be off so bad it is a joke. Do not ask me how I KNOW this to be true. Which is why I still tint my own paint to get it to match if my initial spray out is off bad enough that I cannot trick the eye and blend it out.

There are numerous procedures that can be used to lighten or darken a metallic paint. without adding any pigments/toners.

As for blending any 2K clearcoat....if it is blended out ..in time...the end of the blend will show. unless it is maintained very well But if a person knows what to look for...they will see it. Which is why it is always best to clearcoat the ENTIRE panel. Because if you do not have a a blend line....then there is no line to see.

DUB