CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Just put new Pilot Sport 4S tires on the Vette today (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4230824-just-put-new-pilot-sport-4s-tires-on-the-vette-today.html)

CocoVette 01-11-2019 10:38 PM

Just put new Pilot Sport 4S tires on the Vette today

Time to get new tires. Got a good deal at discount, so decided I'd get some pilot 4S tires, instead of sticking to the run flats. What a difference, and the handling is amazing. Hopefully after I get an alignment tomorrow, it will be even better! For everyone who has these, do you love them?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...664851f4fc.jpg

ZO6 cracker 01-11-2019 11:03 PM

I was planning on getting them a while back for my C5 Z06 but then I decided to buy a new C7Z. I know guys were running them on there C5’s and loved them. I know it will be a while before I need tires but I’m not a big fan of the run flats. So what are you doing about Incase you get a flat or anyone else that chose to run without runflats. Are you carrying a tire kit like the C5Z06 had to use. Thanks

ttay3 01-11-2019 11:47 PM

The PS4S are amazing tires, I replaced my originals tires a year ago and I love the ride . . . The performance is amazing and the ride is much better than the run flats. I hope you enjoy then, I love mine and they have about 4k miles on them, thanks.

fumbling 01-12-2019 01:07 AM

How do these compare in terms of price and performance to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires?

Vetteman Jack 01-12-2019 01:21 AM

In for more reviews of these tires. :lurk:

orca1946 01-12-2019 02:28 PM

I'm not ready for tires but, reading about all the choices now.

CocoVette 01-12-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ttay3 (Post 1598669332)
The PS4S are amazing tires, I replaced my originals tires a year ago and I love the ride . . . The performance is amazing and the ride is much better than the run flats. I hope you enjoy then, I love mine and they have about 4k miles on them, thanks.

Good to hear :thumbs:

V Vette 01-12-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker (Post 1598669138)
I was planning on getting them a while back for my C5 Z06 but then I decided to buy a new C7Z. I know guys were running them on there C5’s and loved them. I know it will be a while before I need tires but I’m not a big fan of the run flats. So what are you doing about Incase you get a flat or anyone else that chose to run without runflats. Are you carrying a tire kit like the C5Z06 had to use. Thanks

What he said...

chronage 01-13-2019 07:43 AM

I like 'em. Compared to original MPSS tires:

+ Quieter & more comfortable
- Sidewall is softer so the turn-in feel isn't as good

I keep a sealant+12v inflator kit in the hatch "hole"

V Vette 01-13-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by chronage (Post 1598675860)
I like 'em. Compared to original MPSS tires:

+ Quieter & more comfortable
- Sidewall is softer so the turn-in feel isn't as good

I keep a sealant+12v inflator kit in the hatch "hole"

Do they totally eliminate the horrible wheel hop, grind and broken sound? Thanks

CocoVette 01-13-2019 02:28 PM

Absolutely makes a difference even in the few days I've had them. Note that I did get an alignment as well which could have helped a lot.

abusdriver 01-13-2019 02:30 PM

After installing my blower, I was running OEM Eagles and car would break loose at the drop of a hat (or the pedal!:D).

Put these on when I changed my wheels to19/20. Difference in ride quality, handling and noise is incredible not to mention not breaking loose any more.

joemessman 01-13-2019 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by fumbling (Post 1598669564)
How do these compare in terms of price and performance to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires?

They are about the same price, or little less expensive, but the stock tires are designed specifically for the Corvette in regard to performance and handling. If you don't drive aggressively and don't mind fixing a flat on the side of the road, if it is fixable, then they'll be fine.
The Michelin A/3+ sport tires handle about the same as the stock, but a little less sticky. I drive hard and don't notice any difference. And I have the zero pressure. I can't afford to be stuck along side the road. I have had 5 flats and only 2 were reparable.

CocoVette 01-14-2019 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by fumbling (Post 1598669564)

I don't know what the a/s cost, but installed and balanced these were 1200.

As far as worrying about a flat, this is the second car I've had with runflats and I switched the last car to non runflat summer tires, never had a problem. I drive 20 minutes to work, so not far enough to worry about a flat. Long distance, I would just plug it or get the car towed and fix it that way. I love the smoother ride of the regular tires

​​

Mr. Bear 01-14-2019 10:44 PM

Pd about $1200 for my AS 3+'s (ZP) from Tire Rack. Love them. They have a comfortable ride, great wet & dry traction. No low speed chattering.

jdk541 01-15-2019 04:00 AM

I have them on my car and love them. Nice feel and good grip. I will get them again when the time comes.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3782e9ca9.jpeg

LimeyC5 01-15-2019 08:40 AM

Beware. In case you are comparing PS4's to A/S3's, a neighbor just put on a set of PS4's on his NSX. Driving home on Sunday on I-75 at 22-25 F, he told me it was terrible, like driving on marbles. A different car I know, but they are still extreme summer tires, not all seasons.

joemessman 01-15-2019 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by LimeyC5 (Post 1598688274)
Beware. In case you are comparing PS4's to A/S3's, a neighbor just put on a set of PS4's on his NSX. Driving home on Sunday on I-75 at 22-25 F, he told me it was terrible, like driving on marbles. A different car I know, but they are still extreme summer tires, not all seasons.

That is a good point. So there is really no comparison to all season tires. They are just another summer performance tire.
Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.