CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Do not buy this car! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4230975-do-not-buy-this-car.html)

Dorphaus 01-12-2019 01:26 PM

Do not buy this car!

I took a trip to North Carolina where I thought I was going to purchase my first C7 at Vann York Auto Group. It had everything I wanted. Black wheels, spoiler, performance exhaust, and exactly the interior/exterior color combination I wanted. I had negotiated a great price on an already great deal, and the car is GM Certified Pre-Owned with a clean 2 owner CarFax, so I was confident that it was in good condition. I arrived at the dealership thinking I would purchase the car after a quick test drive and an independent pre-purchase inspection, and that's when things started going downhill.

The car was beautiful, spotless inside and out. But as soon as I came to a stop at the first red light on my way to the mechanic, I immediately noticed the cabin shaking from the rough idle. I know these cars idle a bit rough from the tune of the big V8 sitting in front of you, but something seemed wrong. Sure enough, after maybe 20 minutes of having the car on the lift the mechanic came out and delivered the bad news. He had pulled four trouble codes from the car. The most alarming was a P0300 for engine misfires detected. The mechanic agreed with me that the car idled way too roughly and that he could feel the misfires. He said seeing these symptoms with only 28k miles on the vehicle was a huge red flag, most likely signs of beating and abuse earlier in the car's lifetime. Here is the inspection sheet with the rest of the codes:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b6d444afc7.jpg

The check engine light did not illuminate because the misfire code was pending. I was understandably disappointed that the car had major issues. I have no idea how this vehicle is GM Certified. If I hadn't been smart enough to get an independent PPI things could have gone a lot worse. I took the inspection sheet back to the dealer and the staff acted like they had no idea about any of the issues with the vehicle. They took the vehicle back to their service section for about 15 minutes, then came back and said that the codes were caused by a "dead battery". They said they had cleared the codes, charged the battery, and the car was good to go. I said I wasn't buying the car and firmly expressed my frustration with them for trying to sell me a certified car with an obvious misfiring engine. They told me to "get out and burn up the road". Now I know why this car has been sitting on their lot for 60+ days, and why they offered me such a good deal.

While I didn't get to buy a car that day, I did get to learn a pretty big life lesson. Don't trust anyone or anything without doing your due diligence, not even a manufacturer's certification. ALWAYS get a PPI before purchasing a vehicle. From now on I am going to get 2 PPIs on my vehicles before purchase.

mdolandese 01-12-2019 10:03 PM

Great news !! Good for you glad you realized it then NOT after purchasing the car

Thunder22 01-12-2019 10:09 PM

Kick save and a beauty.

Mickeyrx70 01-12-2019 10:20 PM

Probably the best $99.87 you ever spent.

ShagVette 01-12-2019 10:40 PM

Posting the VIN 1G1YB2D73G5111633 so hopefully future potential buyers do a search and see this.

What kind of deal did they try to give you on it?

pickleseimer 01-12-2019 10:43 PM

Here's an attorney's view on what a CPO car is defined as.

Dorphaus 01-12-2019 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ShagVette (Post 1598674870)
Posting the VIN 1G1YB2D73G5111633 so hopefully future potential buyers do a search and see this.

What kind of deal did they try to give you on it?

They have it listed at $40k online, and I had negotiated with them over email to $37,400 OTD. Now I understand why they were willing to give me such a good deal!

Vetteman Jack 01-12-2019 11:39 PM

Lucky for you that you chose to do the inspection. There are plenty of C7s out there with no issues, so keep on looking. Hope you find one soon.

PatternDayTrader 01-12-2019 11:40 PM

Gimme a break, OP drama queen.
Fix the po300 and forget about it.
Not buying a sweet car, at a sweet price, over a random misfire code, is like knocking down your house and rebuilding it from the ground up, because the gutters need to be cleaned.

WICKEDFRC 01-12-2019 11:51 PM

I had a P0300 on my C5 and it wound up to be a loose/unsnug sparkplug wire.

hemistar1 01-13-2019 12:35 AM

Dorphaus..I am sorry that deal didn’t work but I’m glad you posted to let others know. You had every right to walk on the deal if you weren’t comfortable.

I not sure about the code but I would’ve stayed away from the rough idle unless the dealer was guaranteeing a fix. Did they at least offer to fix that?

Also I don’t think dealer was trying to get over because if they certified car then you get an extra warranty.

Improved 6-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty

“Every Certified Pre-Owned vehicle from Chevy, Buick, and GMC comes with a 6-Year/100,000-Mile1 Powertrain Limited Warranty, including Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation3. We believe in our vehicles and aren't afraid to stand behind them.”

Also, the tire wear concerned me more than the code and the rough idle. If the dealer really fixed the issue that quickly and were wiling to stand by the purchase then it could’ve been a potentially good deal.

Sorry it cost you $100.00 bucks. Another deal is right around the corner.

Avanti 01-13-2019 01:02 AM

You didn't even need the independent inspection; you knew it had problems quickly enough. Tells you exactly how "valuable" GM Certified is, too. :ack:

Jackie Chan 01-13-2019 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1598675170)
Gimme a break, OP drama queen.
Fix the po300 and forget about it.
Not buying a sweet car, at a sweet price, over a random misfire code, is like knocking down your house and rebuilding it from the ground up, because the gutters need to be cleaned.

++1000000 His me ganic said it was abused .... sounds like a hack

R8Z51 01-13-2019 03:45 AM

My second C7 misfired after a 1,200 mile trip. Took it to the dealer and was on my way. A misfire isn't a "major issue" at all.

Ih2lose 01-13-2019 05:28 AM

Listen-instead of all the drama of DONT BUY THIS CAR ,

Just ask the dealer to clear the codes,Get you a new Battery and Confirm its idling proper ,have them put 100 miles on it to evoke any new codes and purchase your dream car. At at the milage you state if it's on it original tires figure you're going to be needing new soon .

other then the code was it a clean car?

Typical Jeep Driving, Corvette Owner Hating Knuckle Head that from one code has decided the car was beat on and a bused by its previous owner, I am sure he had that figured out as soon as you pulled it into the bay.Whats sounds like a rough Idle for a Jeep mechanic May just be a normal throaty rumble to a corvette mechanic

https://www.vannyorkauto.com/vehicle...YB2D73G5111633

Looks like a great car with a clean car fax and its being sold as certified , According to Kelly blue books its priced fairly

z06inVB 01-13-2019 05:50 AM

Random misfire code on a 28k mile car is no big deal. It’s under warranty. Simply have the dealer fix it.

No evidence at all that the car was beat on.

But to each their own.

Jackie Chan 01-13-2019 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Avanti (Post 1598675446)
You didn't even need the independent inspection; you knew it had problems quickly enough. Tells you exactly how "valuable" GM Certified is, too. :ack:

I'm pretty sure the value is the bumper to bumper is extended 12k miles, the powertrain is extended 40k miles 2 free oil changes, free roadside assistance for the balance of 7 years from the original in service date and a buyers remorse 3 day exchange policy. But I guess from your ignant post you were on top of that info.

Swt_86 01-13-2019 10:09 AM

I would be WAY more interested in finding out that the car had been tuned - which will void the GM engine warranty - than some codes and a rough idle. A rough idle/misfire can is usually minor quick fix - like a coil or bad wire. Some of the other codes listed could have indeed been caused by a bad battery. While I would have been disappointed with the dealer, the codes would not make me walk away from a good deal on the right car.

TorchZ51 01-13-2019 10:15 AM

Random misfite code! It’s ready for the crusher! LMAO :crazy2:

hope2 01-13-2019 10:21 AM

37400 out the door is a good deal for this certified car. However, it is high mileage for year, that obviously is used to determine value. I am in the looks good to me group, most codes probably from battery issue. All that said 1LT would be deal breaker for me, and probably is the reason it is sitting. Some on here will disagree but 1LT is a very tough sale.