CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Transmissions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4231009-transmissions.html)

B-STOCK 01-12-2019 03:27 PM

Transmissions

Please don't tell me to search. I am old and tired. Does anyone have a clue if the C8 or mid engine will be available with a traditional three petal manual transmission? If not I will be looking for another C7 to exercise my left foot. I know autos and twin clutch paddle shift cars and faster but I am still stuck in the 60s when it comes to cars. Thanks a lot. Mike

Tom73 01-12-2019 03:30 PM

From the interior shots it appears that it will only have a Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). No manual or auto.

ByByBMW 01-12-2019 05:37 PM

Everything I have read or heard says no to three pedals.

DTOM 01-12-2019 06:00 PM

Tough to say. They may offer that clutch by wire they filed the patent for.

638HP 01-12-2019 06:10 PM

Manual only, thus why GM was controlling the number of M7's produced. They are prepping the market for DCT only.

NY09C6 01-12-2019 06:11 PM

No one knows. Several rumors that it will be auto only but they are just that.

Quinten33 01-12-2019 06:17 PM

There is NO chance that a manual will be available in the C8. There may be a clutch-by-wire feature available that has a force-feedback clutch you can use with the paddle shifters, but that’s still nothing we’ve seen or heard of outside of a patent filing.

Making it DCT in only is easier, lighter, and better for the majority of potential customers. It’s easier because all cars will have the same transmission and they won’t have to find a route for a shifter cable and clutch lines. It’s lighter because there’s no third pedal, clutch lines, shifter assembly, and no shifter cable. It’s better for most potential buyers because (as far as I know) they put twice as much money into the DCT vs the current transmissions, which hopefully means that the DCT will be VERY good. It’s also better because they will spend more time tuning the one transmission with higher-performance models and because there’s no room taken up by a shifter in the center console.

Considering that only one fifth of Vettes sold are manuals, GM had the option to go DCT with the C8 without hurt sales. If 35-40% of sales were manuals, it’d be a different story. A lot of manuals are selling right now because people know that they can’t get a manual C8.

vetteman41960 01-12-2019 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by B-STOCK (Post 1598672502)
Please don't tell me to search. I am old and tired. Does anyone have a clue if the C8 or mid engine will be available with a traditional three petal manual transmission? If not I will be looking for another C7 to exercise my left foot. I know autos and twin clutch paddle shift cars and faster but I am still stuck in the 60s when it comes to cars. Thanks a lot. Mike

Mike
before you give up on the C8 I would suggest you go drive a well sorted DCT.

I can tell you the Getrag 7 speed DCT in my 15 458 is the best all around transmission in any car I have ever driven.

In auto mode it as smooth and tame as any transmission I ever driven.

When you want some excitement the paddle shifter are at your command at whatever speed or RMP you chose both upshift and downshift and they are fun because the shift are lighting fast.

A well sorted DCT really gives you the best of both worlds.

I think many of the nay sayers on CF have never driven a high performance V8 with a quality DCT.

Many have driven sedan or coupes with lower HP and think that they understand what a DCT is all about.

There a reason both Ferrari & Lamborghini and Maclaren only offer a DCT in their mid engine sports cars.

Yes they are much faster than a manual but they can also be equally as fun.

I would suggest go to hour local Porsche or Ferrari dealer and text drive a 911GT 3 and or a 458/488 I think you will come away with a completely different opinion of a DCT.

I promise it will put a smile on your face when you want some excitement and get on the car it's really a lot of fun.

LightningBolt 01-12-2019 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by vetteman41960 (Post 1598673475)
Mike

I think many of the nay sayers on CF have never driven a high performance V8 with a quality DCT.

Over Christmas, I drove my friends Merc SL63 AMG. Until then I was manual all the way, but that car made me a convert.

MikeG37 01-12-2019 09:21 PM

I pointed this out when these CAD images surfaced. The car using the chassis in that shot won't be offered with any sort of lever operated shifter.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eb24b8207e.jpg

Houston Z33 01-12-2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by vetteman41960 (Post 1598673475)
Mike

I can tell you the Getrag 7 speed DCT in my 15 458 is the best all around transmission in any car I have ever driven.

In auto mode it as smooth and tame as any transmission I ever driven.

When you want some excitement the paddle shifter are at your command at whatever speed or RMP you chose both upshift and downshift and they are fun because the shift are lighting fast.

A well sorted DCT really gives you the best of both worlds.

Many have driven sedan or coupes with lower HP and think that they understand what a DCT is all about.

There a reason both Ferrari & Lamborghini and Maclaren only offer a DCT in their mid engine sports cars.

Yes they are much faster than a manual but they can also be equally as fun.

I would suggest go to hour local Porsche or Ferrari dealer and text drive a 911GT 3 and or a 458/488 I think you will come away with a completely different opinion of a DCT.

I promise it will put a smile on your face when you want some excitement and get on the car it's really a lot of fun.

I cosign on that Getrag 7spd DCT, I had that same tranny in my BMW Z4 35is - I was stick only till I test drove one.

JerriVette 01-12-2019 09:32 PM

I thought for sure with 22 percent of c7 s sold with manuals that gm would produce a manual c8 but after seeing that interior photo yesterday it seems it ll be dct only.

even though ive been driving manual transmission sports cars for forty years...im willing to go dct ..

ill be sad giving up the manual tranmission c6 z51 I have owned since new and now has 129k miles on it....

still time marches on...

im open to this new technology.

NY09C6 01-12-2019 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Houston Z33 (Post 1598674402)
I cosign on that Getrag 7spd DCT, I had that same tranny in my BMW Z4 35is - I was stick only till I test drove one.

Better hang on to it.

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-m-boss-says...ill-1794558556

ByByBMW 01-13-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by NY09C6 (Post 1598674660)

Pretty sure a lot has changed in the almost 2 years since that article was written.