CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   BC coilovers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4231247-bc-coilovers.html)

dailydriver99 01-13-2019 11:16 AM

BC coilovers

Wanted some feedback on the BC coilovers for our c5s. anybody run them? do they help or are their strictly for esthetics? price is right, but i have no great info thanks

jrp1588 01-14-2019 10:04 AM

I haven't seen much on them in the Corvette community, but they were really popular in the Subaru community I was in previously.

smitty2919 01-14-2019 11:32 AM

I assume this is not a racing application?

Just buy lowering bolts. $30 for the front and couple dollars for the rear from hardware store.

Or look into Aldan coilovers (Edit...avoid Aldans...haven't witnessed anyone with ongoing success with them)

VFR RC46 01-14-2019 11:48 AM

I have not touched the suspension on my corvette yet, but I do have feedback on BC Racing as a company.
I have BC Racing coilovers on both of my other vehicles (2000 Acura Integra and 2013 BMW F30).

The BMW had BC coilovers installed within a few months of buying the car new in 2012. They are about six years/ 100k miles old now and are finally starting to wear out. They are not blown yet, but they are starting to get a little more harsh and floaty than they were a few years ago. I think this proves them as fairly decent quality for the money. They are also fully factory rebuildable for about $75/shock so they are also a decent long term investment.

My Integra just had new BC coilovers installed about a year ago. I have put about 20k miles on them so far and the handling is still phenomenal, with fairly decent ride (more than acceptable given the spring rate's bias towards handling over ride).
It looks like BC offers BR and DS variants (with DS being a more highend option). Spring rates are fully optional (so do research here on whether handling or ride quality is more of a priority. If neither is a priority, just go with standard rate, if the standard rate makes sense), with swift springs being a higher end option as well.

I would not hesitate to put BC coilovers on my C5 in either the DS or BR variants. I have only used the BR variant and I can only assume that the DS is just that much better. I know there are better 2 and 3 thousand dollar coilovers out there for the C5, but I would put my money on BC Racing being the best $1000-$1300 c5 coilover out there.

freddyvette 01-14-2019 12:39 PM

I would not run the BC Coilovers.

Why?

Take a look at this video:

This is literally the only place I could find actual product pictures and not generic BC coilover advertisements. You can see the upper mount of the front shocks is OEM style. So this is bad. Why is it bad? Because the spring is now another force acting upon it. The only connecting link is a .25" rod the shock rides on

Check the LG G2 coilover kit. The front upper mounts are attached to a ball joint through a bracket with a pivot. This is a much better design than the BC IMO

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...93613bda12.jpg

Watch the testing video:

I can personally attest to the durability of this setup, having recently performed an offroad excursion at 65 mph with a high angle of attack, the only damage was to my front bumper

dailydriver99 01-14-2019 12:48 PM

Thanks for the information, my purpose was to build a mild autocross street car and coilovers was an option for me st that price point. After reading previous posts, seems like the Alden may be an option and Lg if I can get more funds. Thabks for the input

dailydriver99 01-14-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by VFR RC46 (Post 1598683080)
I would not hesitate with putting BC coilovers on my C5 in either the DS or BR variants. I have only used BR varients and can only assume that the DS is just that much better. I know there are better 2 and 3 thousand dollar coilovers out there for the C5, but I would put money on BC Racing being the best $1000-$1300 c5 coilover out there.

Price point is great, I agree. But what's the benefit other then price, the bc versus Alden? I myself have never had any coilovers on the c5 so I'm trying to get some feedback. Would it be better to invest in c6 shocks and sways?

acroy 01-14-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver99 (Post 1598683491)
Thanks for the information, my purpose was to build a mild autocross street car and coilovers was an option for me st that price point. After reading previous posts, seems like the Alden may be an option and Lg if I can get more funds. Thabks for the input

Call and talk to Sam Strano @ Stranoparts
http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...CategoryID=316

seriously, he knows what he's doing, will listen to your use & budget and make a recommendation based on years of experience. Many options out there. I for one would avoid all the low-end coilovers...

VFR RC46 01-14-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver99 (Post 1598683537)
Price point is great, I agree. But what's the benefit other then price, the bc versus Alden? I myself have never had any coilovers on the c5 so I'm trying to get some feedback. Would it be better to invest in c6 shocks and sways?

Like I said in my original comment, I do not have feedback on BC Racing coilovers on a corvette, but my experience with BC racing on my other two cars has been great.
100k mile life span
Fully rebuildable at a fair price
Great ride
Awesome handling
Local customer support (I live 30 mins from their service center)
Very competitive pricing

Now in regards to the mounting issue that Freddy mentioned.... That has me concerned, but I cannot speak of that first hand yet.....

smitty2919 01-14-2019 01:39 PM

Aldans and or Ridetech coilovers are in the similar ballpark for price. And between those two I would go with the Ridetechs.

Another option is to go with the tried and true Koni Sport single adjustable shocks. Koni+Strano front swaybar+alignment+brake pads+wheels/tires. Very streetable combo and works for A LOT of people.

Koni's new are about $1200-1300. Aldans are around $1300 and Ridetech C/O are roughly $1800.

Reputation goes to Koni and Ridetech in this price point. LG seems viable, but not sure on price.

freddyvette 01-14-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver99 (Post 1598683491)

If you want to autocross it, you should think twice about a low end coilover kit. The typical BC, ridetech, Koni, Alden products target the street car crowd that doesn't have any performance needs.

Bilstein shocks are a budget friendly product which are widely used in racing. The valving is what really matters. Some companies use secret valving specs that they have developed. I doubt the BC ridetech or Koni products have much racing development in them.

Call LG they will probably work with you on the price if you give them a target.

Originally Posted by dailydriver99 (Post 1598683537)

I have C6 Z06 shocks, sways, and front spring (rear doesnt fit) on my C5 Z06. They are quite a bit better than stock. I'd rather go this route before trying the ricerboy brands. However, if you are looking for a huge bump in performance, I would go with a mid to high end coilover set.

Originally Posted by VFR RC46 (Post 1598683703)
Like I said in my original comment, I do not have feedback on BC Racing coilovers on a corvette, but my experience with BC racing on my other two cars has been great.
100k mile life span
Fully rebuildable at a fair price
Great ride
Awesome handling
Local customer support (I live 30 mins from their service center)
Very competitive pricing

Now in regards to the mounting issue that Freddy mentioned.... That has me concerned, but I cannot speak of that first hand yet.....

What sort of usage did you put your previous sets through? You don't see these brands at the racetracks or autocross much. They're meant for the street I think, and they fit that role very well.

Originally Posted by smitty2919 (Post 1598683879)
Aldans and or Ridetech coilovers are in the similar ballpark for price. And between those two I would go with the Ridetechs.

Another option is to go with the tried and true Koni Sport single adjustable shocks. Koni+Strano front swaybar+alignment+brake pads+wheels/tires. Very streetable combo and works for A LOT of people.

Koni's new are about $1200-1300. Aldans are around $1300 and Ridetech C/O are roughly $1800.

Reputation goes to Koni and Ridetech in this price point. LG seems viable, but not sure on price.

I feel like spending so much money for a "streetable" setup is a bit of a waste. You're not gaining much if you still don't perform well at an autocross. I'd rather stick to stock suspension if I'd be pouring all that money and still be slow.

I bought my LG G2s several years ago for about $2100. They list for more, but I have a feeling they can work with you on price.

On a final note - Do you know how many ST2 corvettes run blazing fast times using slicks with stock suspension?

I'd say either go all the way or stick with what you got.

6speedsteve 01-14-2019 02:07 PM

I have them on my car I have the Digressive version, so far no issues but only one summer. I upgraded my springs to Hyperco 7" long front & rear. BC's come with 550 & 492 spring rates, my Hyperco are 550 & 400 I am on the lowest shock setting in front 1 or 2 & I am extremely low & even with a 400 inch spring rate & on a low shock setting car rides great & no issues with tire rub. The rear I am on setting 5 & with the 550 rate spring I does seem a little bouncy. I was going to drop to a 500 rate spring, but I decided to run one more summer but drop to a lower shock setting. I also do not use a top mount rubber bushing in front, I upgraded to a urethane bushing.

The reason I went with BC was most of the coilovers I looked at either could not get me the ride height I wanted or the spring rates were too high for a street car. I would have paid for better quality but just could not find exactly what I wanted. I am also running LG drop spindles and I am 2.5" lower in front & 2.75" lower in the rear from stock ride height.

Here are some detail shots as I have not seen any on the forum, I can post some photos on the car if someone would like to see those.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1c919955ed.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ee5a877330.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2797afa443.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5c33480f4d.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...96fb05689d.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f0aef2a8ca.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...baa7e2dfce.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dcb8375f98.jpg

smitty2919 01-14-2019 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by freddyvette (Post 1598683981)
If you want to autocross it, you should think twice about a low end coilover kit. The typical BC, ridetech, Koni, Alden products target the street car crowd that doesn't have any performance needs.

Bilstein shocks are a budget friendly product which are widely used in racing. The valving is what really matters. Some companies use secret valving specs that they have developed. I doubt the BC ridetech or Koni products have much racing development in them.

Call LG they will probably work with you on the price if you give them a target.

I have C6 Z06 shocks, sways, and front spring (rear doesnt fit) on my C5 Z06. They are quite a bit better than stock. I'd rather go this route before trying the ricerboy brands. However, if you are looking for a huge bump in performance, I would go with a mid to high end coilover set.

I feel like spending so much money for a "streetable" setup is a bit of a waste. You're not gaining much if you still don't perform well at an autocross. I'd rather stick to stock suspension if I'd be pouring all that money and still be slow.

I bought my LG G2s several years ago for about $2100. They list for more, but I have a feeling they can work with you on price.

On a final note - Do you know how many ST2 corvettes run blazing fast times using slicks with stock suspension?

I'd say either go all the way or stick with what you got.

1) Koni and Ridetech are not "ricerboy brands"...do you look at Optima style events? Ridetech is HUGE with the resto-mod style cars. They offer quality dual purpose products.

2) AFAIK, Bilsteins (in the OP's price range) are NOT adjustable. Koni and Ridetech are Rebound adjustable AND you could get into custom valving if you wanted to. Koni and Ridetech both being mono tube designs...same as Bilstein.

3)You made it clear you are of the "all or nothing" mindset, however you can be better than stock without spending ass loads of money. In the OP's case he will not be getting Penske,Ohlins,JRi etc style setup....therefore the Koni or Ridetech option IS valid. You opted for a non adjustable C6Z shock/bar setup that YOU like. Not everyone drives the same or likes the same setup.

freddyvette 01-14-2019 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by smitty2919 (Post 1598684165)
1) Koni and Ridetech are not "ricerboy brands"...do you look at Optima style events? Ridetech is HUGE with the resto-mod style cars. They offer quality dual purpose products.

2) AFAIK, Bilsteins (in the OP's price range) are NOT adjustable. Koni and Ridetech are Rebound adjustable AND you could get into custom valving if you wanted to.

3)You made it clear you are of the "all or nothing" mindset, however you can be better than stock without spending ass loads of money. In the OP's case he will not be getting Penske,Ohlins,JRi etc style setup....therefore the Koni or Ridetech option IS valid. You opted for a non adjustable C6Z shock/bar setup that YOU like. Not everyone drives the same or likes the same setup.

I agree that ridetech is not a ricerboy brand. But Koni is more of a street oriented mild upgrade vs stock on coil-strut applications. That being said they don't even make a coil over set for our cars..

Where you're wrong is that BC is definitely an overseas importer with "acceptable" products (I wouldn't say substandard!) tailored for applications where the customer wants more low or more camber for their economy car. This is called "rice" or "ricerboy". It's not derogatory, it's just descriptive. Don't get so butthurt about it, or people might think you like Volkswagens (lol jk).

You're missing the point. It's not all or nothing. Obviously if I thought that I would have mentioned Penske, Ohlin, etc. The bilsteins are an excellent middle ground for the money. I disagree with your notion that the BC coilovers will be an effective modification for the money. They're almost $1000! For the marginal benefits they bring to the table, you can do so much more with that money elsewhere. And if you get into custom valving with those Koni (again, no coilovers from them, and they cost $1200) or Ridetech, you're talking as much as any mid-range coilover kit and your argument is invalidated.

I think you perception of the cost vs benefit curve of these suspension modifications is skewed. It's more of a sinusoidal curve up where there's a "sweet spot" of good upgrades and then a flat plateau after 3-4k, and NOT a tangential curve with a sharp rise near 0-$1000 price tag will get you supercar performance.

04zjimc 01-15-2019 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by dailydriver99 (Post 1598676986)
Wanted some feedback on the BC coilovers for our c5s. anybody run them? do they help or are their strictly for esthetics? price is right, but i have no great info thanks

stance has nice coilovers I purchased them for my car..so far so good! Had them on 2yrs street driven...

smitty2919 01-15-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by freddyvette (Post 1598684252)
I agree that ridetech is not a ricerboy brand. But Koni is more of a street oriented mild upgrade vs stock on coil-strut applications. That being said they don't even make a coil over set for our cars..

Where you're wrong is that BC is definitely an overseas importer with "acceptable" products (I wouldn't say substandard!) tailored for applications where the customer wants more low or more camber for their economy car. This is called "rice" or "ricerboy". It's not derogatory, it's just descriptive. Don't get so butthurt about it, or people might think you like Volkswagens (lol jk).

You're missing the point. It's not all or nothing. Obviously if I thought that I would have mentioned Penske, Ohlin, etc. The bilsteins are an excellent middle ground for the money. I disagree with your notion that the BC coilovers will be an effective modification for the money. They're almost $1000! For the marginal benefits they bring to the table, you can do so much more with that money elsewhere. And if you get into custom valving with those Koni (again, no coilovers from them, and they cost $1200) or Ridetech, you're talking as much as any mid-range coilover kit and your argument is invalidated.

I think you perception of the cost vs benefit curve of these suspension modifications is skewed. It's more of a sinusoidal curve up where there's a "sweet spot" of good upgrades and then a flat plateau after 3-4k, and NOT a tangential curve with a sharp rise near 0-$1000 price tag will get you supercar performance.

I never mentioned BC is good or bad. I simply stated there are other more well known proven parts for the OP's use. I also never said that BC would be an effective modification for the money.

Billstein vs Koni...I go Koni for the Rebound adjustability in the same price point. Koni vs Ridetech, I go Ridetech for the spring rate adjustability AND Rebound adjustability. Agreed, that a custom valved Koni would be coil over price territory....OH WAIT, then there is Ridetech again to get into a OK set of coilovers (yes, not custom valved) but still a good setup.

I personally went Koni given their proven track record for PERFORMING on C5's. FOR ME I don't see the need for coilovers as sometimes less adjustment is better to just get in and drive since mine will remain a street/autocross car. The engineer in me says coilovers allllll day long, however the realistic adult in me says "calm down, keep it simple."

Bilsteins are ~$440 from Strano (non adjustable)
Koni are ~1250 from Strano (Rebound adjustable)
Ridetech CO HQ Stage2 are ~$2100 from Strano (Rebound adjustable and can swap spring rates easily)
Aldan CO are ~$1300

BTW I keep hearing Sam pushes the Koni shock/his front bar combo a lot...FWIW. He is not known for pushing products that don't perform.

dailydriver99 01-15-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve (Post 1598684042)
Here are some detail shots as I have not seen any on the forum, I can post some photos on the car if someone would like to see those.

Id like to see more photos,

VFR RC46 01-15-2019 11:04 AM

[puts on flame suit]

~Custom built BC Racing Coilovers with Bilstein race valved internals starting at $1595~

https://store.redshiftmotorsports.co...ved-series.htm

(ignore ricer boy car title. Redshift will Build any BC Racing coilover)

"IF BC RACING OFFERS COILOVERS FOR YOUR CAR (they probably do), THEN WE CAN BUILD THIS RACE KIT FOR YOU! "

[pulls pin. throws grenade. steps out of room.]

smitty2919 01-15-2019 11:54 AM

Next question....you know what valving you want? LOL It's a rabbit hole once you start spec'ing out custom stuff. Then, you pay for custom valving, will you get a shock dyno sheet to prove it is what they say it is?

What spring rates can the BC's support?

AGAIN, I have never used BC nor am I saying thy are a bad product, but these are questions to think about if you are doing your homework.

80% of people looking at coilovers in the $1000-2000 range will be happy with whatever valving they come with over a stock setup. Add slightly higher spring rates than stock and many if not all will claim "the car feels like it's on rails!" while they may be bottoming out the shock since it's their first coilover setup and they think the lowered ride height "looks cool".

My point being, just be mindful how deep this hole can go when discussing $1000-2000 coilovers/shocks. If you do it right you are matching shock valving to the springs and swaybars you are running and you can go TOO LOW if the shock is not short enough and vehicle geometry hits diminishing returns.

freddyvette 01-15-2019 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by smitty2919 (Post 1598689015)
Billstein vs Koni...I go Koni for the Rebound adjustability in the same price point. Koni vs Ridetech, I go Ridetech for the spring rate adjustability AND Rebound adjustability. Agreed, that a custom valved Koni would be coil over price territory....OH WAIT, then there is Ridetech again to get into a OK set of coilovers (yes, not custom valved) but still a good setup.

I personally went Koni given their proven track record for PERFORMING on C5's. FOR ME I don't see the need for coilovers as sometimes less adjustment is better to just get in and drive since mine will remain a street/autocross car. The engineer in me says coilovers allllll day long, however the realistic adult in me says "calm down, keep it simple."

Bilsteins are ~$440 from Strano (non adjustable)
Koni are ~1250 from Strano (Rebound adjustable)
Ridetech CO HQ Stage2 are ~$2100 from Strano (Rebound adjustable and can swap spring rates easily)
Aldan CO are ~$1300

BTW I keep hearing Sam pushes the Koni shock/his front bar combo a lot...FWIW. He is not known for pushing products that don't perform.

You should really listen to the engineer. Have you driven a C5 or C6 with GOOD coilovers? It's a completely different car, and it's much easier to put the power down than before. Even if you spin, you will have more control on the spin than with a leaf spring.

Spending that sort of money on a non-coilover setup is a waste. You're gaining VERY LITTLE BENEFIT from it. A set of DRM shocks will do just about as much as those Konis for 700 less.

I would put the Ridetech coilovers in the lower tier category since they have Fox shocks which are "meh". They do have Hypercoil springs though.

Originally Posted by VFR RC46 (Post 1598689168)
[puts on flame suit]

~Custom built BC Racing Coilovers with Bilstein race valved internals starting at $1595~

https://store.redshiftmotorsports.co...ved-series.htm

(ignore ricer boy car title. Redshift will Build any BC Racing coilover)

"IF BC RACING OFFERS COILOVERS FOR YOUR CAR (they probably do), THEN WE CAN BUILD THIS RACE KIT FOR YOU! "

[pulls pin. throws grenade. steps out of room.]

*grenade turns out to be a dud* ;)

Still not a quality setup with the BC coil springs. Swift is decent but I'd rather go with a Hyperco progressive or linear. Also you'd have to upgrade ALL 4 shock shafts. $2355. I'll admit it's a way better product than the original $999 BC kit was. I'd classify it as a higher end low tier product, but it's a bit expensive for what it is.