CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Gas smell (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4231249-gas-smell.html)

Gunnmetalblue 01-13-2019 11:18 AM

Gas smell

I know this issue has been covered quite a bit, but I need some help. When I fill the tank(s), not putting in any more fuel after the pump shuts off, the garage and interior of the car have a strong gas smell. The tanks have been smoke tested twice in the last 3 months and no leaks were found either time. The vacuum door on the vapor canister has been replaced as it was found to be defective. The car is a 2001 base model. I know there is an issue with these cars and the crossover tube between the tanks leaking. Wouldn't this leak manifest itself during a smoke test of the tanks? I'm really getting tired of throwing money at this car without solving the problem. Seems like the car has given me more airline miles than road miles this year :(. Thanks for the help in advance.

bighank 01-13-2019 07:27 PM

Mine leaked at the fuel filter and gas poured onto the muffler.b

My gas filter at the left rear leaked at the O ring and the gas poured onto the muffler. The GM filter cost a fortune and I found an identical one for about $15 at a parts store. I don't remember the number but I took the old one around and made sure the replacement one was the same. Some of the so called replacements were nothing like the OEM one. I loosed the left muffler taking out the 2 bolts but leaving the muffler hanging on a support member to get more room to change the filter. I think it was a Wix filter but I am not sure as it was several years ago. I wrote up the process on here and it may still be online. Smelled gas for weeks then happened to be parked in my driveway when I saw a puddle of gas under the left rear of the car. Might be your problem, Might not.

Gunnmetalblue 01-13-2019 09:44 PM

My filter was just swapped from a Wix to OEM. Had the problem before the Wix; still have it with the OEM. It is more noticeable on the passenger side.

foggy 01-13-2019 09:56 PM

It's probably the connection from the filler tube to the tank...
Mine does this every once in a while... I ALWAYS stop at the first sign of the Click on the gas pump and then I'm ok..
It only smells if I try to top it off

Gunnmetalblue 01-13-2019 10:11 PM

Why would the smell be so much more noticeable on the passenger side? Also, wouldn't the 2 smoke tests have showed that as a leaking area?I stopped topping off the tank a while ago after reading posts on the forum advising against it. Most recent instance was yesterday - filled the car, shut the pump off when it stopped, and drove it home. This morning the garage was filled with gas fumes.

Rob 02 01-14-2019 12:23 AM

Mine did the same thing a couple years ago but the problem seems to have gone away on its own. Mine is an '02.

striper 01-14-2019 03:08 AM

I know everyone has a different situation with similar problems. When I started having a gas smell problem I changed my gas cap. Simplest and cheapest thing to try first. Bought a new GM gas cap on Amazon for around $10 and change. Surprisingly it worked.

Gunnmetalblue 01-14-2019 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by striper (Post 1598681454)
I know everyone has a different situation with similar problems. When I started having a gas smell problem I changed my gas cap. Simplest and cheapest thing to try first. Bought a new GM gas cap on Amazon for around $10 and change. Surprisingly it worked.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did before the 2 smoke tests.

Gunnmetalblue 01-18-2019 09:00 AM

bump

C5 Diag 01-18-2019 11:09 AM

Hi !!
Did you do the smoke test yourself or did a shop do it for you ???....the "normally open" vent valve has to be closed when you do the test usually done using a bi directional scan tool.

Gunnmetalblue 01-19-2019 12:02 AM

Tests were done at two different shops within a couple of months.

zachaeous 01-19-2019 02:25 AM

I went through this last summer. I even replaced the vent valve for less than $20.00 with no joy. Found the problem was the check valve on the top of the passenger side tank. Have to remove the tank and replace the tank to fix the problem or just not fill the tank too full.

Gunnmetalblue 01-19-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by zachaeous (Post 1598715630)
I went through this last summer. I even replaced the vent valve for less than $20.00 with no joy. Found the problem was the check valve on the top of the passenger side tank. Have to remove the tank and replace the tank to fix the problem or just not fill the tank too full.

That may well explain why the smell is more noticeable on the passenger side.

zachaeous 01-19-2019 04:23 PM

If you look at the passenger side tank from underneath you may notice stains on the bottom shield from the gas running down. This is what my 2001 was doing as well as the strong scent of gasoline.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...21a549854a.jpg