CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Barrett-Jackson reveal? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4232207-barrett-jackson-reveal.html)

7Corvette5 01-15-2019 10:20 PM

Barrett-Jackson reveal?

As far as I know this has not been discussed. Having been to Barrett-Jackson last year, it is quite an event with many bidders with very deep pockets. My feeling is the reveal will be at more of an event where the general public will be (ie NYIAS). However, given the high bidders at Barrett-Jackson (including Rick Hendrick, who will undoubtedly buy the first C8), could the reveal be at Barrett-Jackson? My guess is if it were to happen, it would be on the 19th.

Just a thought, or hope even. Still, a better place to reveal the C8 than the ZR1 was in Dubai.

Cheers.

Zora_Vette 01-15-2019 10:33 PM

No doubt the first VIN will be auctioned there, but the actual reveal would be a TERRIBLE IDEA.

kozmic 01-15-2019 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette (Post 1598693958)
No doubt the first VIN will be auctioned there, but the actual reveal would be a TERRIBLE IDEA.

yeah, I agree... thinking not

Quinten33 01-15-2019 11:09 PM

They’d be better off revealing the car on Saturday Night Live as a prop.

Bill Dearborn 01-16-2019 05:17 PM

They may do the reveal the same way they did the C5. A short TV commercial in early 97 with a blurry image and a guy saying that's the new Vette followed in March of 97 by pulling the covers off of cars situated at select dealerships around the country. No Auto Show involvement. I don't see any advantage to a NY or LA reveal. If done at a show besides Detroit, LA would be the next best location.

All of the auto mags were introduced to the C5 in Nov 96 when they got to drive a bunch of them at Road Atlanta and they all went to print with the issues that showed up subscriber's homes in March of 97 right about the time the covers were pulled off the cars in the showrooms.

Bill

jcp911s 01-16-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598698991)
They may do the reveal the same way they did the C5. A short TV commercial in early 97 with a blurry image and a guy saying that's the new Vette followed in March of 97 by pulling the covers off of cars situated at select dealerships around the country. No Auto Show involvement. I don't see any advantage to a NY or LA reveal. If done at a show besides Detroit, LA would be the next best location.

All of the auto mags were introduced to the C5 in Nov 96 when they got to drive a bunch of them at Road Atlanta and they all went to print with the issues that showed up subscriber's homes in March of 97 right about the time the covers were pulled off the cars in the showrooms.

Bill

I likes the GOOD OLD DAYS when Dinah Shore announced the new Chevys on Bonanza.

Donatella 01-16-2019 08:48 PM

:(

Originally Posted by jcp911s (Post 1598699846)

That's very sad but I remember that..:(

ojm 01-16-2019 09:25 PM

I mentioned BJackson months ago.
There has to be a more public place, who but car fans even heard of this auction, when is the next Super Bowl?

Oh, listen, one more thing.....we may all be too old to drive the time GM actually has a C8 for sale.

z06inVB 01-17-2019 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ojm (Post 1598700637)
I mentioned BJackson months ago.
There has to be a more public place, who but car fans even heard of this auction, when is the next Super Bowl?

Oh, listen, one more thing.....we may all be too old to drive the time GM actually has a C8 for sale.

By that time it may be a self driving electric car.

BEAR-AvHistory 01-17-2019 01:15 PM

Time flies when you are having fun.:D

Bill Dearborn 01-17-2019 01:22 PM

Found the C5 intro video:

Bill

Foosh 01-17-2019 02:24 PM

Cool thanks . . . I'd never seen that. :cheers:

rsvette12 01-17-2019 03:18 PM

BJ reveal - never going to happen - selling cars is Their business not revealing a new GM vehicle - GM would have no part in that scenario

Atari_Prime 01-17-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598704234)
Found the C5 intro video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RabANwCGs1U

Bill

The C5 first appeared in the public years before its official announcement. When the Corvette Museum opened in 1994, there was a room (which I believe is still there) which showed a design studio with various Corvette concepts, models, and renders. In that room there was a design table that clearly had papers on it. Most walked right by this table never really thinking about the drawings on the table as they were almost out of view unless you were standing in the right location. Instead, their attention was focused on the 86' Corvette Indy Concept sitting nearby. What they didn't realize is that on that table were the final design drawings for the C5 that wouldn't be officially revealed for neary 2.5 years. Also, right above the table, hanging from the ceiling, was a wire frame model of a Corvette. If you looked closely though, you realized that the lines didn't quite fit with any known Corvette. In fact, it was a wire model of the C5.

Most never noticed these things, even though they were in plain sight. Those who ran the museum knew they were there but kept quiet. In later years, if you took a guided tour, they would point out the drawings and the frame to show the public the car was there all along.

Maxie2U 01-17-2019 09:20 PM

not a chance.