CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   To supercharge or not (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4232938-to-supercharge-or-not.html)

Corvette farmer 01-17-2019 10:18 PM

To supercharge or not

Rather than taking a bath trading a 2019 grand sport for a 19 z06 would like opinions on adding a supercharger from those that have done so. Any reliability issues or overheating problems ? I assume you would lose your factory warranty. Also effect on fuel economy, and no I didn’t buy it for that reason but it’s kind of nice to get 30 mpg when just cruising. Also wonder what it would do to trade in value? Thx

John Micheal Henry 01-18-2019 07:23 AM

IMHO.. 1. The more power you make,the more fuel you'll burn.
2. You will lose the factory power-train warranty.
3. You will not recover any money invested in mods.

V Vette 01-18-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry (Post 1598708675)

:iagree: but I still don't understand the MPG thing.:eek:

Zjoe6 01-18-2019 08:23 AM

I think you’ll take a bath either way. Except with the z06 it’ll be easier to sell and get more of your money back. That’s what I’ve seen here over the years in the for sale ads. Also since the super charger doesn’t kick in until a certain rpm your fuel economy should still be good. Not sure what you lose just spinning the supercharger while cruising down the highway. Probably not going to get 30mpg like the LT1 but close.

ImpliedConsent 01-18-2019 09:18 AM

1. Yep, that's why I bought a Corvette... fuel savings. :cool:
  2. That's debatable.
  3. Does anyone ever recover the money for mods?

449er 01-18-2019 09:30 AM

Your fuel economy won't suffer much until you engage in some spirited driving. You won't get much money back when you sell after doing the supercharger & yes, you will lose that warranty

Slick6 01-18-2019 10:23 AM

Are you thinking roots type or a centrifugal blower? I put a Paxton centrifugal on my 2008 Mustang along with several other mods, and the fuel mileage didn't take a drastic hit. The centrifugal route is better if you don't want to be under boost all of the time.

phil hunter 01-18-2019 11:15 AM

I ran an A&A Vortex centri supercharger on my C5 Vette for several years. It produced 502 hp at the wheels at 10 lbs of boost. Not bad for an otherwise bone stock LS1. As long as I kept my foot out of it, the gas mileage was about the same as without the supercharger. Unlike the rootes type unit that the factory uses, my centri did not provide any significant boost until about 2500 rpm. You can probably have a centri installed for $7000 to $8000 dollars along with a tune. Less if you do the work. I never had any overheating issues with it, but it was a C5 not a C7. As far as trade in value, it will probably lower it, but you can always remove the centri, put the car back to stock, and sell the supercharger separately. I sold my C5 with the centri on it for a premium, but found a buyer who was looking for a supercharged car. Not sure where you are located, but smog might be an issue. A&A has a 50 state legal setup for the C7. Not sure about the other supercharger manufacturers.

Here is a link:
https://www.aacorvette.com/

Phil

curve65 01-18-2019 11:46 AM

It'll sure change the maintenance tail unlike the Z that already has a good warranty for being supercharged. Plus, it will be harder to sell or trade when the time comes, or at least in my experience did. I guess it depends on if you are planning on keeping her and don't mind a tweak or two every once in a while, imho.

BrunoTheMellow 01-18-2019 12:09 PM

#3 is absolutely wrong. I can pull off my mods, sell them and get 1/2 my initial cost I bet.

OP unless you're tracking extensively you will not overheat. And centrifugal kits run cooler than z06s so if you have all the cooling already your car would be better suited Problems? Change plugs every 2 years, change supercharger oil every oil change if centrifugal and you're set. I've put almost 30k miles on mine and some 30 track days and some 30 1/2 mile runs.

If you don't plan on going past stock Z06 power this is the way to go. If you plan on going over, then the forged pistons on the Z06 (only major difference really) would allow that.

Cruising I lost like 1-2 mpg. Putting Z06 stage 3 front and 2 rear aero on my z51 made a larger mpg difference.

roadbike56 01-18-2019 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent (Post 1598709230)
  1. Yep, that's why I bought a Corvette... fuel savings. :cool:
  2. That's debatable.
  3. Does anyone ever recover the money for mods?

#2, there's nothing debatable about losing the powertrain warranty. Mod the engine and it's gone. Forget the "I'll just take it off" response. The minute you do a tune, the computer records the change and GM picks this up when they download the stored information. There have been threads here of individuals who bought used C7s thinking the warranty was still in effect only to have GM inform them the powertrain warranty was void when the previous owner applied a tune.

Corvette farmer 01-18-2019 02:21 PM

Sounds like I just need to keep it stock

7LitreC5 01-18-2019 02:29 PM

I have an Edelbrock E-Force on my 15 Stingray. The gas mileage is unaffected. I get the same now in normal driving as before. I have had no overheating or other problems since installation.

sTz 01-18-2019 02:50 PM

Get a Z06 and call it a day.

BrunoTheMellow 01-18-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette farmer (Post 1598711542)
Sounds like I just need to keep it stock

if you're scared of having something catastrophic happen? Sure. 999/1000 corvettes out there don't have an engine warranty problem. If you don't have a problem by 10k miles, supercharge it.

​​​​​​

dvilin 01-18-2019 04:02 PM

Trade up to the Z06 and all the reasons for not adding a supercharger to your GS go away.

Avanti 01-18-2019 04:06 PM

I've spent decades with supercharged and turboed cars, aftermarket and factory. Know full well there are good reasons GM, Chrysler, and others all make serious internal modifications to "blown" engines. I would never simply add a supercharger to a factory normally aspirated engine without prepping it properly. Even then, there are no certainties unless you do all your own work, or know really well those who do.

I know this is not the after-market's line on their products. But, unless you wish to drive like a ninny (then why do any power-adder, anyway) you will be at risk, imho. Obviously, a lot of people buy and install such on otherwise stock engines... not my choice, thank you... since you asked... :yesnod:

BrunoTheMellow 01-18-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Avanti (Post 1598712238)
I've spent decades with supercharged and turboed cars, aftermarket and factory. Know full well there are good reasons GM, Chrysler, and others all make serious internal modifications to "blown" engines. I would never simply add a supercharger to a factory normally aspirated engine without prepping it properly. Even then, there are no certainties unless you do all your own work, or know really well those who do.

I know this is not the after-market's line on their products. But, unless you wish to drive like a ninny (then why do any power-adder, anyway) you will be at risk, imho. Obviously, a lot of people buy and install such on otherwise stock engines... not my choice, thank you... since you asked... :yesnod:

My 30k miles , 30+ track days, 30+ half mile runs procharged only z51 and many others say you're fine.

Sids04 01-18-2019 04:45 PM

Trade it in on the Z. It will be cheaper in the long run.

GTRSOLO 01-18-2019 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1598712453)
My 30k miles , 30+ track days, 30+ half mile runs procharged only z51 and many others say you're fine.

I'm interested in Supercharging my GS C7 M7 as well. Do you have a link to any of your mods/build - pics or data?
I was thinking of a centri style SC and Alky/meth injection. Not looking for crazy boost, so maybe Alky/Meth isn't needed?
600 - 650 at the crank is safe on stock internals?
Thanks.