CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3s for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted-56/)
-   -   FS: 1968 Coupe L79 4spd Numbers matching Cruiser - Jacksonville FL (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted/4233024-1968-coupe-l79-4spd-numbers-matching-cruiser-jacksonville-fl.html)

GoGators! 01-18-2019 09:57 AM

1968 Coupe L79 4spd Numbers matching Cruiser - Jacksonville FL

1968 Chevrolet Corvette T-top coupe, L-79 with 4-spd - - - $19,500 - - - SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3b11cd02c9.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3ec7a2d0fc.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f5deda338b.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e69982ce50.jpg

Summary: very nice cruiser/driver condition, matching numbers first year C3 that has been tastefully modified for reliability and enjoyment. Optioned with high output 327, 4spd transmission, posi-traction, manual disc brakes, no AC.

Link to Google Photos (~100 pics)

Ownership history: I have owned the car for nearly 10 years (in Jacksonville). I purchased it from what appears to be the original or second owner’s son. It had been in storage (port orange) for around 10 years prior to me purchasing. According to the previous owner, they had rebuilt the engine and repainted the car prior to putting it in storage when the fathers heath declined. Believe they bought it in Lakeland and lived near Miami. I have most of the original documentation from initial purchase. Many boxes of original parts (carburetor, wiper motor, water pump, alternator, trim, steering wheel, etc) will be included in the sale.

Known issue: At idle there is faint blue smoke visible in the exhaust if viewed at the right angle and there is a some smoke at idle initially when the car hasn’t been started for a while (days/weeks). I believe the piston rings are worn and will require replacement in the coming years, asking price reflects this wear.

Factory options: Included when I bought the car was the “tank tag” which provides the options installed on the car. “L79” – 350hp 327 4-barrel carbureted and high lift camshaft engine. “G81” – posi-traction rear differential. “M20” – 4-speed manual transmission.

Work performed during my ownership:

Within the last 5 years / 1500 miles:

-complete front and rear suspension overhaul: new bushings, new bearings, Van Steel Street and Slalom kit (sway bars front and rear, shocks, springs, adjustable rear lower links), Van Steel rear trailing arms, all wearable components were replaced. VPB refurbished brake calipers, Hawk brake pads, SS flexible brake lines, refurbished master cylinder, new brake rotors. Borgeson power steering system replacing the hydraulic ram.

-differential complete rebuilt to factory likeness by Van Steel. Driveshaft refurbished by Driveline services.

-intake gasket replaced, pertronix electric ignition (replaces points) installed, new valve covers and gaskets, Stewart water pump, thermostat, clutch linkage and pivot shaft, starter, last oil change January 2019.

-overhaul wiper system and automated, vacuum actuated wiper door assembly. New wiper motor, wipers, door vacuum components.

5-10 years ago:

-refreshing of interior. New seat foam and seat upholstery, stripped to floorplan and installation of dynamat insulation, new carpet, new center console, new speakers, digital radio (aux/usb inputs). Repaired gauges (all work, except clock), new steering wheel (smaller diameter), added 3-point seat belts, battery cutout switch.

-exhaust upgrade. Hooker long tube headers, coated and wrapped, full length Magnaflow SS system.

-radiator and core support replaced with big-block engine setup. Multi-core aluminum radiator, fan clutch replaced. Belts and hoses.

-new tires, removed the spare tire carrier (retained carrier).

-vacuum operated headlight system refreshed. New hoses, new operators and vacuum valves

Work performed by previous owner (~15-20 years ago);

-new fuel tank

-rebuilding of original engine

-base + clear coat paint to original color, color sanding and buff

Pricing:

To price the vehicle, I have followed the market for the past several years. Obviously, no two 50 year old corvettes are in the same condition. This car has cosmetic blemishes but has had suspension and drivetrain work that (typically) only fully restored cars have undergone. Limited owners, desirable options, desirable modifications, original paperwork and parts, stored/driven in Florida should also be considered when trying to value. Goes without saying that numbers matching engine to chassis is valued by most corvette enthusiasts. On the down side, there are many flaws/blemishes that are typical of older fiberglass cars and the car has not been “frame-off” restored. The Muncie transmission leaks but doesn’t leave drops, the inner doors window mechanism needs refurbishment and the heater core leaked, so I have plugged it off. Hagerty estimates that L-79 coupes, with 4spd manual transmissions in Concours condition to be worth ~$54k. Excellent condition ~$40k. Good condition ~$23k. Fair condition ~$14k.

Sellers motivation:

I have owned the car for nearly 10 years. I bought it out of a storage unit and got it running to a high level. As a mechanical engineer I have done the projects on the car I find enjoyable and rewarding as a driver. In the past 10 years I have had 2 kids and added 2 other project cars. Plain and simple, the ’68 is being neglected – I rarely drive it. Financially, I don’t need to sell it.

Request of buyer:

Look at the photos provided. I have done all I can to ensure the representation online is as reflective as possible of the car in person; so as to not waste your time. Do not waste my time by sending offers without seeing the car in person. Please do not take time out of my schedule by asking to see the car if you are not truly serious about purchasing and prepared financially to make a fair offer. Watch all the videos I have provided links too, the exhaust sound and performance are well represented – it’s a driver! Plan on paying with a cashiers check that will be deposited at my credit union prior to signing of the title (at the bank) and deliver/pickup of car and included parts/paperwork. Please provide an email address and cell phone number in your PM.

GoGators! 02-13-2019 06:53 AM

she is still in my garage!

jimco84x 02-13-2019 08:46 AM

WOW!! 1600+ views and not even a comment? This is a tough crowd. If it had been available last summer, it might have saved me a trip to Texas. :)
GLWS!

GoGators! 02-13-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jimco84x (Post 1598870273)
WOW!! 1600+ views and not even a comment?
GLWS!

right. i dont know what to make of that!

thanks though.

topcarbon 02-13-2019 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by GoGators! (Post 1598870478)
right. i dont know what to make of that!

thanks though.

i think your description was so great it left no mystery.
i love the car
i will have garage space this coming summer:D

GoGators! 02-14-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by topcarbon (Post 1598873446)
i think your description was so great it left no mystery.

that could be. Maybe i should delete out a majority of the details to stimulate interest!!!!

jimrowe0 02-14-2019 09:09 AM

Discount for Gators fans? Maybe I can talk my Dad into it, he would love to have a c3 in the stable.

GoGators! 02-14-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by jimrowe0 (Post 1598876375)
Discount for Gators fans? Maybe I can talk my Dad into it, he would love to have a c3 in the stable.

absolutely!

Jebbysan 02-15-2019 09:15 AM

The L-79 sounds great.......

Jebby

GoGators! 02-15-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jebbysan (Post 1598882436)
The L-79 sounds great.......

Jebby

Thanks! yea, the long tube headers and magnaflow system improved the driving experience exponentially! i think it sounds better than my Trick-flow head and cam equipped LS1 (with long tubes and full bassani system) i have in my vette-kart.

bigblock427 02-15-2019 07:44 PM

Nice looking Vette.:thumbs: A very nice description of the car. GLWS.:cheers:

GoGators! 02-27-2019 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by bigblock427 (Post 1598886299)
Nice looking Vette.:thumbs: A very nice description of the car. GLWS.:cheers:

appreciate it!

GoGators! 04-04-2019 07:38 AM

took her out yesterday for the weekly drive-around primarly to move fluids, still drives great!

cpavette 04-04-2019 04:45 PM

Do you have any of the original smog equipment (pump or manifold), valve covers or ignition shielding?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3b11cd02c9.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3ec7a2d0fc.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f5deda338b.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e69982ce50.jpg

Summary: very nice cruiser/driver condition, matching numbers first year C3 that has been tastefully modified for reliability and enjoyment. Optioned with high output 327, 4spd transmission, posi-traction, manual disc brakes, no AC.

Link to Google Photos (~100 pics)

Ownership history: I have owned the car for nearly 10 years (in Jacksonville). I purchased it from what appears to be the original or second owner’s son. It had been in storage (port orange) for around 10 years prior to me purchasing. According to the previous owner, they had rebuilt the engine and repainted the car prior to putting it in storage when the fathers heath declined. Believe they bought it in Lakeland and lived near Miami. I have most of the original documentation from initial purchase. Many boxes of original parts (carburetor, wiper motor, water pump, alternator, trim, steering wheel, etc) will be included in the sale.

Factory options: Included when I bought the car was the “tank tag” which provides the options installed on the car. “L79” – 350hp 327 4-barrel carbureted and high lift camshaft engine. “G81” – posi-traction rear differential. “M20” – 4-speed manual transmission.

Work performed during my ownership:

Within the last 5 years / 1500 miles:

-complete front and rear suspension overhaul: new bushings, new bearings, Van Steel Street and Slalom kit (sway bars front and rear, shocks, springs, adjustable rear lower links), Van Steel rear trailing arms, all wearable components were replaced. VPB refurbished brake calipers, Hawk brake pads, SS flexible brake lines, refurbished master cylinder, new brake rotors. Borgeson power steering system replacing the hydraulic ram.

-differential complete rebuilt to factory likeness by Van Steel. Driveshaft refurbished by Driveline services.

-intake gasket replaced, pertronix electric ignition (replaces points) installed, new valve covers and gaskets, Stewart water pump, thermostat, clutch linkage and pivot shaft, starter, last oil change January 2019.

-overhaul wiper system and automated, vacuum actuated wiper door assembly. New wiper motor, wipers, door vacuum components.

5-10 years ago:

-refreshing of interior. New seat foam and seat upholstery, stripped to floorplan and installation of dynamat insulation, new carpet, new center console, new speakers, digital radio (aux/usb inputs). Repaired gauges (all work, except clock), new steering wheel (smaller diameter), added 3-point seat belts, battery cutout switch.

-exhaust upgrade. Hooker long tube headers, coated and wrapped, full length Magnaflow SS system.

-radiator and core support replaced with big-block engine setup. Multi-core aluminum radiator, fan clutch replaced. Belts and hoses.

-new tires, removed the spare tire carrier (retained carrier).

-vacuum operated headlight system refreshed. New hoses, new operators and vacuum valves

Work performed by previous owner (~15-20 years ago);

-new fuel tank

-rebuilding of original engine

-base + clear coat paint to original color, color sanding and buff

Pricing:

To price the vehicle, I have followed the market for the past several years. Obviously, no two 50 year old corvettes are in the same condition. This car has cosmetic blemishes but has had suspension and drivetrain work that (typically) only fully restored cars have undergone. Limited owners, desirable options, desirable modifications, original paperwork and parts, stored/driven in Florida should also be considered when trying to value. Goes without saying that numbers matching engine to chassis is valued by most corvette enthusiasts. On the down side, there are many flaws/blemishes that are typical of older fiberglass cars and the car has not been “frame-off” restored. The Muncie transmission leaks but doesn’t leave drops, the inner doors window mechanism needs refurbishment and the heater core leaked, so I have plugged it off. Hagerty estimates that L-79 coupes, with 4spd manual transmissions in Concours condition to be worth ~$54k. Excellent condition ~$40k. Good condition ~$23k. Fair condition ~$14k.

Sellers motivation:

I have owned the car for nearly 10 years. I bought it out of a storage unit and got it running to a high level. As a mechanical engineer I have done the projects on the car I find enjoyable and rewarding as a driver. In the past 10 years I have had 2 kids and added 2 other project cars. Plain and simple, the ’68 is being neglected – I rarely drive it. Financially, I don’t need to sell it.

Request of buyer:

Look at the photos provided. I have done all I can to ensure the representation online is as reflective as possible of the car in person; so as to not waste your time. Do not waste my time by sending offers without seeing the car in person. Please do not take time out of my schedule by asking to see the car if you are not truly serious about purchasing and prepared financially to make a fair offer. Watch all the videos I have provided links too, the exhaust sound and performance are well represented – it’s a driver! Plan on paying with a cashiers check that will be deposited at my credit union prior to signing of the title (at the bank) and deliver/pickup of car and included parts/paperwork. Please provide an email address and cell phone number in your PM.[/QUOTE]

GoGators! 04-04-2019 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by cpavette (Post 1599168876)
Do you have any of the original smog equipment (pump or manifold), valve covers or ignition shielding?

[/QUOTE]

Its a 68, so no smog equipment was ever installed. I do have the original valve covers and probably 95% of the ignition shielding, most of it was spray painted black and would need to be re-chromed to be mint.

Paul Borowski 04-05-2019 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by GoGators! (Post 1599169263)

Its a 68, so no smog equipment was ever installed. I do have the original valve covers and probably 95% of the ignition shielding, most of it was spray painted black and would need to be re-chromed to be mint.

.....all '68 & '69 Corvettes regardless of engine & hp, came with an A.I.R. pump(smog pump).

GoGators! 04-05-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski (Post 1599171089)
.....all '68 & '69 Corvettes regardless of engine & hp, came with an A.I.R. pump(smog pump).

All be darn. Reckon you learn something everyday. Appreciate it.

So, reckon the answer to the previous question is, Nope! smog pump/piping/brackets/etc wasnt included in the many boxes of parts that transferred.

cor66vette 04-15-2019 08:04 PM

Bump for a nice '68 and fellow Floridian. :cheers:

Alwyn678 04-15-2019 11:08 PM

Discount for Dawg Fans? :yesnod:

drdave69 04-19-2019 01:50 PM

I'd be paying you a visit if I didn't have my 1966. You have a VERY nice looking Corvette.