CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Back up camera (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4233032-back-up-camera.html)

Specops 01-18-2019 10:22 AM

Back up camera

Looking to see if anyone has added a back up camera on a C4 / My father retired and purchased a C4 . He backs it in the garage every time . I am looking to put a camera in it for him . He is 70 and eyesight not the greatest . Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to options . Don't want to change out radio and keep it as stock as possible . Thank you in advance . Pics greatly appreciated too.

Art17 01-18-2019 10:28 AM

I bought a wireless backup camera at Costco for about $125. The license frame has a solar charging device so you never need a battery. I installed it on my 17' Stingray for the front of my car. Works great.

ToniH 01-18-2019 10:43 AM

Hang a tennisball from the ceiling with a string. Position it so that it hits the rear window or bumpercover the moment he needs to stop. Put some high visibily tape or something on it. So he only needs to be aware of the ball. Or put a marker to driver side wall he needs to lign up with his door mirror or something. Easy and cheap.

Maybe even a photoelectric sensor which triggers a light in front of the car (easy for him to see) when he has backed up enough. Or a motion sensor light with the sensor aimed at specific point so it triggers when the bumper gets into its view.

If that is not high tech enough then install a backup/parking sensor system with audio warning. Much better than just a camera for the old guy. And usefull outside the garage too. And you don't have to touch the radio unit.

Be creative, lots of possibilities.

FAUEE 01-18-2019 11:14 AM

My parents had those proximity sensing setups in their garage because my mother had a bad habit of parking in the hot water heater. They worked well enough, until she decided she didnt want to drive anymore... in her 50s.

bac22 01-18-2019 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Art17 (Post 1598709740)
I bought a wireless backup camera at Costco for about $125. The license frame has a solar charging device so you never need a battery. I installed it on my 17' Stingray for the front of my car. Works great.

That's a good idea being wireless, do you remember the model/brand?

3D-Aircrew 01-18-2019 03:18 PM

Here's one that displays on a clip on rearview mirror on ebay that looks pretty cool and is inexpensive:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Backup-Came...frcectupt=true

Art17 01-18-2019 03:48 PM

It is called a Types. You can probably find it on the Costco web maybe. It is solar powered and I made a holder for it to hold upright and installed it in the little cubbly behind my radio screen that comes down. There is also a plug in there so I just push the button and the screen drops and helps me to park my Corvette. Very easy install.

aklim 01-18-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Specops (Post 1598709670)
Looking to see if anyone has added a back up camera on a C4 / My father retired and purchased a C4 . He backs it in the garage every time . I am looking to put a camera in it for him . He is 70 and eyesight not the greatest . Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to options . Don't want to change out radio and keep it as stock as possible . Thank you in advance . Pics greatly appreciated too.

First piece of advice is "DON'T back it in"?

If you don't want to change the radio https://www.autozone.com/safety-and-...122313_0_20534

Specops 01-18-2019 07:16 PM

All great ideas . Ill check around and see what he feels he wants to do . I appreciate all the info .

aklim 01-18-2019 07:44 PM

Never figured out why people want to back into the garag3. I know in Europe and Asia is is very popular to back into the parking space

JBPC4 01-18-2019 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1598713767)
Never figured out why people want to back into the garag3. I know in Europe and Asia is is very popular to back into the parking space

For me, it’s as simple as that my garage isn’t very big, and due to the positioning of some shelves and work benches, backing in places the drivers door on the side that it is easier to open the door further to get out.

rblakeney 01-18-2019 08:32 PM

I worked for a Dutch company and it was written into the employee manual. We had to back into our spaces at work - it's supposed to be safer when leaving. I never did and pulled in headon. I don't work there anymore.

aklim 01-18-2019 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by rblakeney (Post 1598714161)
I worked for a Dutch company and it was written into the employee manual. We had to back into our spaces at work - it's supposed to be safer when leaving. I never did and pulled in headon. I don't work there anymore.

​​​​​​I think they say it is safer when you leave and not back into traffic So how is that risk when you are trying to back into the stall and traffic is there? Sounds like what you save here, you lose there?

JBPC4 01-18-2019 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1598714253)
​​​​​​I think they say it is safer when you leave and not back into traffic So how is that risk when you are trying to back into the stall and traffic is there? Sounds like what you save here, you lose there?

Time of day can be a big factor. I work in the city and park in a crowded lot. I get there early in the morning when there aren’t many other cars or people around, and it’s easy to back into a spot at that time without bothering anyone. Then when I’m headed home at rush hour time when the lot is full and lots of cars are trying to get out, it really helps being able to drive straight out of my spot.

hcbph 01-19-2019 07:41 AM

I have a 2 stall garage and 2 cars I park in there. I back one in and pull the other in forward. That way the drivers doors are on the inside aisle making it easier to get in and out of both vehicles as there's nothing obstructing them. About the only exceptions are when I need to work on the front of the Vette then I back It in so the front is by the garage door.

Specops 01-19-2019 09:53 AM

Its due to the layout of the garages. they make them smaller and smaller . I have a two car garage but its only 18x19, 20x20 used to be the standard. i have to back one in and the other straight forward to get both passenger sides close to the wall to open the doors to get in . His is the same way and due to storage he needs to back in . Plus I've been a fire fighter for 25 yrs now and its kind of habit we back all trucks in the bays lol .

Wildride 01-19-2019 08:04 PM

Amazing how this post has gone from a simple question on back-up cameras to why some people back into their garages. Anyhow, I bought one on the "auction site" for under $20 and it works fine.

After trying the wireless type I went to the hard wired type. It was actually easier to install because there is only one wire splice (plus a ground) at one of the backup lights. That supplied power for both the camera and the monitor. The system is only powered when the car is in reverse.

The wireless type requires two splices-one for the camera and another for the monitor plus two grounds (the best place I found for the monitor was the radio circuit, it only is hot when the key is on. The hard wire type is more reliable than the wireless type. The wireless would sometimes drop out, apparently because the transmitter wasn't strong enough.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-TFT-LCD-Car-Rearview-System-Monitor-Backup-Reverse-Camera-Night-Vision/351880614786?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26al go%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D201710120 94517%26meid%3Ddf44012a1bca45748a3c75a76 7289ee7%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D 12%26sd%3D253949560738%26itm%3D351880614 786&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

856SPEED 01-20-2019 08:32 AM

I have a back up camera in my new car, like most new cars have. That camera isn't going to stop a senior from backing into something in a small garage with aging eyesight.

Unlike you on the job, my guess is your father isn't going to need to pull the Vette out the garage very quickly to save a burning structure. I recommend pulling straight into the garage and backing straight back; safest for all involved; especially in small, tight garages like you all have.

GRIS 01-20-2019 10:02 AM

never figured out why people want to back into the garag3. I know in europe and asia is is very popular to back into the parking space

Cops and soldiers tend to do this. In third armored division you would get a DR for parking nose in.

aklim 01-20-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by GRIS (Post 1598722741)
Cops and soldiers tend to do this. In third armored division you would get a DR for parking nose in.

Most of the time the people are neither cops, soldiers or firemen which I agree might be helpful in some situations.