CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Single turbo build (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/4234234-single-turbo-build.html)

jayyyw 01-21-2019 04:53 PM

Single turbo build

I’ve finally decided which direction I want to take my car. I’ve been through many scenarios in my head. Debated on multiple different setups.

I’m going to do a semi-budget 5.3 single turbo build.

Engine:
Gen 4 aluminum 5.3
Refreshed/gapped SBE
BTR Stage 2 turbo cam
BTR springs
243 heads
LS9 headgaskets
ARP headstuds

Sticking with a Holley Hi Ram
LS7 throttle body
Mantic twin disc clutch

Fuel:
ID1000s (have) Will go to ID1300s or greater when I need to
Walbro 450 in-tank (have)
A&A dual pump external setup

Turbo setup:
VS Racing Billet 80mm 96x88 1.32a/r T6
or
VS Racing Billet 75mm 96x88 1.32a/r T6
OEM manifolds
Custom hot side and cold side
NCC intercooler made from a Bell core

Going to use the Cortex ebc so I can ramp boost in plus tons of other features

The goal with this build is to keep it semi-budget. I’m selling off my current setup to fund this. I’m trying not to come out of pocket with initial build. Not sure if I’ll be able to add a fuel system right off the rip. I should be able to make ~750whp with the pump and injectors I currently have. It’ll be enough to be able to work out the bugs and make sure everything is solid before turning it up to ~1000whp.

Not sure how fast this build is going to move. It’s all going to depend on how fast everything sells. I don’t want to rush it.

MTPZ06 01-21-2019 05:52 PM

:lurk:

Shortpersonbk 01-21-2019 10:03 PM

Excited to follow this.

I would highly suggest that you go with a different turbo setup though.

For reference my turbo is a billet 75 we think it should be good to around 950whp on a 5.3. I only have a 83x74 turbine wheel and a t4 1.10 housing. Those giant turbine wheel t6 1.32ar turbos may work on low budget/expectation auto cars where you have a converter to help you out but in a stick car i was warned to stay away. I am not referencing just VS brand but the Borgs they copy offer the same sizes and it came up in the discussion of my car/goals/setup when I was getting my turbo speced by bullseye.
I have seen it happen to some local guys and it is always disappointing to see they buy what ever random turbo that is easy to buy and then they end up hating turbo cars because theirs doesnt work right.

MTBSully 01-22-2019 08:52 AM

Will be following this! Ive wanted to boost my z06 for a while now but I am not willing to cut up my 17k mile stout HCI car just yet. Thinking of buying a really cheap base c6 to do a "practice build" on this winter and maybe next winter the Z haha

jayyyw 01-22-2019 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk (Post 1598733963)
Excited to follow this.

I would highly suggest that you go with a different turbo setup though.

For reference my turbo is a billet 75 we think it should be good to around 950whp on a 5.3. I only have a 83x74 turbine wheel and a t4 1.10 housing. Those giant turbine wheel t6 1.32ar turbos may work on low budget/expectation auto cars where you have a converter to help you out but in a stick car i was warned to stay away. I am not referencing just VS brand but the Borgs they copy offer the same sizes and it came up in the discussion of my car/goals/setup when I was getting my turbo speced by bullseye.
I have seen it happen to some local guys and it is always disappointing to see they buy what ever random turbo that is easy to buy and then they end up hating turbo cars because theirs doesnt work right.

Good advice. Unfortunately, I've been out of the turbo realm for quite some time. Long enough that I am basically starting back at zero. I like to think I do my due diligence when it comes to research before I pull the trigger on anything. Of course, I can make wrong decisions from time to time.

I am getting different info from my engine builder and the guy who is going to fab my turbo kit up. My engine builder is telling me to go with a T4 with the same turbine and a/r and my fab guy is saying to go T6.

It's definitely hard to find info for manual cars.

jayyyw 01-22-2019 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by MTBSully (Post 1598735272)
Will be following this! Ive wanted to boost my z06 for a while now but I am not willing to cut up my 17k mile stout HCI car just yet. Thinking of buying a really cheap base c6 to do a "practice build" on this winter and maybe next winter the Z haha

The first cut is the hardest.

Shortpersonbk 01-22-2019 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jayyyw (Post 1598735326)
Good advice. Unfortunately, I've been out of the turbo realm for quite some time. Long enough that I am basically starting back at zero. I like to think I do my due diligence when it comes to research before I pull the trigger on anything. Of course, I can make wrong decisions from time to time.

I am getting different info from my engine builder and the guy who is going to fab my turbo kit up. My engine builder is telling me to go with a T4 with the same turbine and a/r and my fab guy is saying to go T6.

It's definitely hard to find info for manual cars.

Yeah since I am not an expert on the situation either for fun I messaged my friend who used to spec turbos for customers everyday at bullseye. He said at those power levels there is no reason to go with that large of a turbine wheel/hotside on a 5.3 and that the experience will suffer. Obviously take it with a grain of salt and take info from everywhere and make the choice on what you feel comfortable with.
Going with an aluminium or iron 5.3?

jayyyw 01-22-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk (Post 1598735579)
Yeah since I am not an expert on the situation either for fun I messaged my friend who used to spec turbos for customers everyday at bullseye. He said at those power levels there is no reason to go with that large of a turbine wheel/hotside on a 5.3 and that the experience will suffer. Obviously take it with a grain of salt and take info from everywhere and make the choice on what you feel comfortable with.
Going with an aluminium or iron 5.3?

It's going to be an aluminium 5.3. The guy that put it together has built a lot of them and they all are living at 1000+ whp. All SBE too.

I plan to rev the motor to 7800 or so. I feel like I need a little larger a/r so it can breathe up top.

Shortpersonbk 01-22-2019 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jayyyw (Post 1598736357)
It's going to be an aluminium 5.3. The guy that put it together has built a lot of them and they all are living at 1000+ whp. All SBE too.

I plan to rev the motor to 7800 or so. I feel like I need a little larger a/r so it can breathe up top.

Exact same as I picked. Maybe contact vs racing or even Jack (where i get my info) on the z06 page on facebook.

I like that you picked the cortex also. I am very impressed so far with their customer service/product up to the point of using it which will be another 2 months or so before i get to test it.

jayyyw 01-22-2019 02:56 PM

Talked some more with my engine builder. He suggested a BW S476 9Xmm turbine 1.23a/r T4

He also recommended a Garrett core IC over the Bell.

Shortpersonbk 01-22-2019 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by jayyyw (Post 1598737731)
Talked some more with my engine builder. He suggested a BW S476 9Xmm turbine 1.23a/r T4

He also recommended a Garrett core IC over the Bell.

I like the idea of borg because as a budget starting turbo you can upgrade different pieces later. Especially with such a large turbine thats the only piece you cannot modify to start and thats like 1500hp worth of turbine on a 5.3 i was told so you have unlimited space to throw larger billet compressor wheels better flowing covers ect.

73DBG 01-23-2019 10:50 PM

Sub’d🇺🇸

Unreal 01-24-2019 07:33 PM

Call my buddy kevin@agpturbo .They know their stuff when it comes to turbos and ls motors .

jayyyw 01-27-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1598752675)
Call my buddy kevin@agpturbo .They know their stuff when it comes to turbos and ls motors .

I'll be going with a Forced Inductions s476 HO 96x88 1.10a/r T4. comes standard with the billet wheel and race cover.

Motor has been purchased. Should be picking it up later this week.

Need to order the c6 wet sump pan and a wet sump balancer.

Also decided to go with dual 40mm turbosmart wastegates. These came highly recommended by my fab guy. Plus, they are not too expensive. Should be plenty wastegate, with the right placement, to regulate down to 10-12psi. "Low boost" will be 750-800whp.

Should be placing an order for a few things later today.

Shortpersonbk 01-27-2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jayyyw (Post 1598766737)
I'll be going with a Forced Inductions s476 HO 96x88 1.10a/r T4. comes standard with the billet wheel and race cover.

Motor has been purchased. Should be picking it up later this week.

Need to order the c6 wet sump pan and a wet sump balancer.

Also decided to go with dual 40mm turbosmart wastegates. These came highly recommended by my fab guy. Plus, they are not too expensive. Should be plenty wastegate, with the right placement, to regulate down to 10-12psi. "Low boost" will be 750-800whp.

Should be placing an order for a few things later today.

Love turbosmart gates.

I still think going with that large of a turbine wheel is going to be bad. Went out with the guy that specs my turbos last night and he uses the same size turbine as me in his c5 and right now makes just under 900 on middle ish boost. He will be making 1000-1150ish soon. Similar 5.3 setup with a 76 compressor.

jayyyw 01-27-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk (Post 1598767500)
Love turbosmart gates.

I still think going with that large of a turbine wheel is going to be bad. Went out with the guy that specs my turbos last night and he uses the same size turbine as me in his c5 and right now makes just under 900 on middle ish boost. He will be making 1000-1150ish soon. Similar 5.3 setup with a 76 compressor.

I guess I'll find out. Not sure if it would be worse to choose my own turbo/specs and have it perform poorly, or to listen to someone that does this daily and have it perform poorly. Lol. I'll make sure to ask again before I have him order it.

Shortpersonbk 01-27-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jayyyw (Post 1598767588)
I guess I'll find out. Not sure if it would be worse to choose my own turbo/specs and have it perform poorly, or to listen to someone that does this daily and have it perform poorly. Lol. I'll make sure to ask again before I have him order it.

Worth a shot. Make sure you set up your turbo oil drain before putting the motor in the car. Sadly we cannot use any of the cool timing cover drain fittings due to our balancer.

jayyyw 01-27-2019 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk (Post 1598767788)
Worth a shot. Make sure you set up your turbo oil drain before putting the motor in the car. Sadly we cannot use any of the cool timing cover drain fittings due to our balancer.

I was planning on that. Where are you putting yours? I've seen people weld the bung on the pass side near the front of the motor.

Shortpersonbk 01-27-2019 07:07 PM

I ended up with it right here. I wish it could be more forward but the motor mount would block it/there isnt room on the pan.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3fdeb9ccbc.jpg

jayyyw 01-28-2019 08:55 AM

Thanks for the pic^

Paid for the turbo last night. Going with the same one. Forced Inductions BW S476 96x88 1.10a/r with the billet wheel and race cover. Engine builder told me he has the same turbo on another 5.3 making over 1200whp. Should be plenty. We shall see how it ends up spooling.

Also, I'm pretty sure I will be going with the Race version of the Holley Sniper. I'm also looking at the new BTR intake but the Race Sniper is higher on my list. I will have the hood vented.

https://images.holley.com/832142_01.jpg

​​​​​​​https://d7xgwttsivb88.cloudfront.net.../intake1_1.jpg