CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   2019 M7 issues (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4234704-2019-m7-issues.html)

Z06fornow 01-22-2019 10:01 PM

2019 M7 issues

Just got the M7 last week, it now has less than 1000 miles. One of the NPP vales is stuck wide open so I can't really use any other mode than track for the exhaust. No biggie. Warranty fix for sure. Let's move on.

Bigger issue is that it is in now for some clear bra and some custom wrap work and the guy working on it sent me some pictures of paint issues that he found with the front bumper. On the passenger side there is a large gap, on the drivers side it is so tight that it is rubbing and some of the factory black paint has rubbed off and there is white body (or undercoat) showing. He's at the start of a 5 day process with the wrap and I don't want to stop and go argue with the dealer. I am going to have the wrapping completed and then go and argue. I hate this. Not what I expected for an $80k+ car.

See the pics. One is the rub and one is the gap.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...aa1a8d9b27.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...040b6622c5.jpg

Anyone else had any issues with the 2019s?

Thanks.

Higgs Boson 01-22-2019 10:13 PM

this is an M7 issue?

Clspht 01-22-2019 10:21 PM

If you are going to demand that it be fixed by the dealer (and you should), why on earth are you going to complete the wrap on those areas?

Z06fornow 01-22-2019 10:29 PM

'Cos it's a major PITA to stop the wrap process, get in line at the dealership, argue, wait for a fix, get in line at the wrap place and start the wrap again. The wrap guy is super busy and he got me in early as a favor. I'll have the dealer re-do or pay for the wrap in that small area if necessary. I am having most of the car clear bra/wrapped - hence the 5 day process. Stopping now would screw with his schedule too.

MechEngr 01-22-2019 10:36 PM

Man I'm sorry to hear that, I feel for you on a brand new car like that. I have gap issues on mine between the front headlight and bumper cover and have noticed the same on others at corvettes at Carlisle. I think overall there are some issues like that with all corvettes. It sucks for sure. Hope they cover it for you, I wouldn't be happy, that's for sure.

Zora_Vette 01-22-2019 11:14 PM

This is a paint/panel fitment issue, not an issue with the 7 speed manual transmission. :toetap:

cyi1 01-22-2019 11:20 PM

It makes no sense wrapping the car still given the paint issues.

It's going to rub when they wrap it and then when you peel the wrap it might take more paint with it...

It doesn't make sense to not address it first. Do you expect them to give you a rain check for a repainting in the future? I see this going worse for you and being a bigger pain in the ass than it is to postpone wrapping the car.

Ron'sGS 01-23-2019 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by cyi1 (Post 1598740698)
It makes no sense wrapping the car still given the paint issues.

It's going to rub when they wrap it and then when you peel the wrap it might take more paint with it...

It doesn't make sense to not address it first. Do you expect them to give you a rain check for a repainting in the future? I see this going worse for you and being a bigger pain in the ass than it is to postpone wrapping the car.

:iagree:
You need to take care of the paint issues first.

C7X46 01-23-2019 07:50 AM

Bottom line is the paint is less than perfect on these cars, I had cracked paint on my drivers quarter panel, we covered it with film and moved on.

Haven't had a single issue with it, I would touch and clear bra over, it will hide marring a defects.

Mr. Gizmo 01-23-2019 08:23 AM

Op , unless this is your daily driver and your in a bind for transportation. —- I wouldn’t be in such a rush to get the car wrapped. Take your time and get the paint and fender alignment issues addressed.

dmaxx3500 01-23-2019 08:42 AM

have it touched-up,wrap it,then drive the heck out of it and forget about painting it

the dealer wont pay for your wrap to be re-applied after they re-paint it,and might say the wrapper did it

either fix it now or live with it

Oneslackr 01-23-2019 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 (Post 1598741672)
have it touched-up,wrap it,then drive the heck out of it and forget about painting it

the dealer wont pay for your wrap to be re-applied after they re-paint it,and might say the wrapper did it

either fix it now or live with it

:iagree: with this & with the others above with similar advice. You obviously aren't used to dealing with Chevy dealers and/or GM. Even if you follow the advice above odds are you'll get frustrated with your experience of trying to get the paint issue addressed.

fishpick 01-23-2019 09:36 AM

Thread title is #fakenews

cyi1 01-23-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Oneslackr (Post 1598741917)
:iagree: with this & with the others above with similar advice. You obviously aren't used to dealing with Chevy dealers and/or GM. Even if you follow the advice above odds are you'll get frustrated with your experience of trying to get the paint issue addressed.

Hell yea... My paint issues never got addressed. They said "it may come out worse and we aren't going to replace the panel if that happens....so we can 'try' to repair it if you want or you can live with it". Contacting Mary Barra or whoever didn't do crap either.

OP's paint issues seem a lot easier to repair than my carbon fiber roof issue. If they've already wrapped the car then I bet they won't do anything for him and they'll blame the detail shop for the issues.

Originally Posted by fishpick (Post 1598741995)
Thread title is #fakenews

The clickbait :rofl:

Oneslackr 01-23-2019 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by cyi1 (Post 1598742602)
Hell yea... My paint issues never got addressed. They said "it may come out worse and we aren't going to replace the panel if that happens....so we can 'try' to repair it if you want or you can live with it". Contacting Mary Barra or whoever didn't do crap either.

OP's paint issues seem a lot easier to repair than my carbon fiber roof issue. If they've already wrapped the car then I bet they won't do anything for him and they'll blame the detail shop for the issues.

The clickbait :rofl:

You know it. Oh well, everyone has warned him what will likely happen. If he ignores the advice then he shouldn't be shocked when things don't turn out like he wants them to. I'll be surprised if this story has a good ending with a happy car owner.

Z06fornow 01-23-2019 08:47 PM

Sheesh. I wasn't looking for advice on how or when to fix it, thanks. I was asking if this was a unique issue. I heard that Chevy moved the MY19 to a new plant for paint. Wondered if that was part of the issue. Guess it's just my car.

Anyway the wrap and bra is nearing completion. FWIW I have a lot of experience dealing with Chevy. My MY16 Z06 had a new hydraulic pump for the diff, then a whole new e-diff, a wheel rim, new injectors, handled like a drunken sailor and used copious amount of oil. Unloaded the lemon for a Hellcat. Back with an MY19. Not a positive experience so far.

Big Lebowski 01-23-2019 09:29 PM

That sucks...i feel your pain. Sadly, this is a known issue. I bought my 2017 new last May and looked it over head to toe. These friction chips were not there until after aprox 1,000+ miles. I brought up 4 identical spots to yours on my Z06 to my dealer and they didn’t even blink. Front and rear bumpers repainted. The upside is they look better than before. There is a light at the end oft tunnel.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d44883312.jpeg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e89fbaac8.jpeg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c8b74ef88.jpeg

RegnaR 01-23-2019 10:21 PM

My M17 had the same issue with the front bumper, and it was noted when i picked the car up. The dealer repainted those areas, and I have not had any problems so far. I would be worried that the dealer will blame the wrap shop for the issue, but it is a well-known Corvette issue.

Z06fornow 01-23-2019 10:53 PM

Thanks Big L, that gives me some useful information. Glad you got yours worked out.

mdolandese 01-26-2019 01:24 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Gizmo;1598741583]
Op , unless this is your daily driver and your in a bind for transportation. —- I wouldn’t be in such a rush to get the car wrapped. Take your time and get the paint and fender alignment issues addressed.

:iagree: I know it's an inconvenience, but do it right the first time and deal with this issue first. Why would you wrap it, and then have the dealer fix it and think there going to pay again to rewrap it There going to say , why didn't you bring it to us first. So even if they fix it I bet they'll give you a hard time and not pay