CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   SW headers for zr1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4235396-sw-headers-for-zr1.html)

Bennyzr1 01-25-2019 12:20 AM

SW headers for zr1

Just got my headers in from stainless works for the Z and I was wondering if I should have them ceramic coated, or just leave them the way they are, any advice would be great, thanks Shaun

Paul Workman 01-25-2019 07:04 AM

Ceramic coating provides some insulation and thus less heat transferred into the cabin. And, there's the esthetic aspect - which is very minimal (IMO) as they are practically hidden from view from the top. (Course if you want to impress your oil change tech - assuming you don't change you own oil - have at it!)

Waste of $$, in my opinion. I have non-coated SW headers now for 9+ years now. I never think about coatings, unless someone asks (as you have) about it. They work. All day trips with the top or windows down and never once give it a second thought.

Your mileage may vary!

Bennyzr1 01-25-2019 09:31 AM

Thanks for the comment Paul, my biggest concern was the heat coming off and damaging any components, O2 sensor pigtails just fell apart with the stock manifold, but they could be originals,keep forgetting the car is 29 years old, thanks again for the advice, Shaun

Dredgeguy 01-25-2019 02:48 PM

When I purchased my SW headers they did the ceramic coating and then sent the set. They look great but as stated above, they are mostly hidden. I was also concerned about heat which was the main reason I had them coated. Got to say very happy with them. Make sure you get the oil dipstick bracket, Coated or not, you got the best there is and enjoy.

Bennyzr1 01-26-2019 11:30 AM

Dredgeguy, thanks for the advice

Paul Workman 01-27-2019 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dredgeguy (Post 1598757533)
When I purchased my SW headers they did the ceramic coating and then sent the set. They look great but as stated above, they are mostly hidden. I was also concerned about heat which was the main reason I had them coated. Got to say very happy with them. Make sure you get the oil dipstick bracket, Coated or not, you got the best there is and enjoy.

I've made dozens of those brackets for others in the 7 or so years since I installed my headers. Are you referring to my bracket, or is someone else making them now too? I'll continue to make them upon request, but curious if someone else was sourcing that brackets too?

Paul Workman 01-27-2019 07:51 AM

With regard to the relocation of the O2 sensor, I can offer these two tid bits:

O2 extension: Cut the stock O2 pigtail in two at the middle, and solder in a link of small gauge "hook-up" wire (I used 16 gauge myself, but 20 or 22 gauge will be fine as well*.
Location of the O2 sensor: I welded in new O2 "bungs" (threaded rings) from Summit Racing in order to position the O2s facing out toward the frame rails yet above the bottom level of the rails to protect them from being accidentally torn off should the car bottom out on a speed bump or the like.
*I recommend extending the pigtails enough to route the wires behind existing heat shields or otherwise away from accidentally coming in contact with the headers. I used a combo of routing and wire harness insulation tubes (AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc) to protect them from the headers/heat. (FYI, Mine are several years old - working fine after 6+ years now.)

Bennyzr1 01-27-2019 05:25 PM

Thanks for the information Paul, how can I purchase one of your brackets?

Daniel_Mc 01-28-2019 01:08 PM

Shaun,

I would recommend to have them coated. If you have not look into Swain Tech's coating.

-Daniel

Dredgeguy 02-03-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 1598766516)
I've made dozens of those brackets for others in the 7 or so years since I installed my headers. Are you referring to my bracket, or is someone else making them now too? I'll continue to make them upon request, but curious if someone else was sourcing that brackets too?

Hi Paul,
I do not recall where the bracket came from but it was from the forum that I found out it was required. Likely yours.

FASTAZU 02-04-2019 09:43 AM

Have a set, had them coated been on over 10 years still look good. Just some road grim on them in this pic.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c657b57d8f.jpg

Paul Workman 02-06-2019 09:32 AM

OP - The bracket went out PRIORITY MAIL on Monday (2/4/2019) AM. The clerk said 2-3 days.

Eazy-pleazy - work good: last LONG TIME! :D

:cheers:

Rkreigh 02-12-2019 05:53 AM

the swain coatings look pretty cool I like the white lightning header coating

might get the piston skirts and tops done.