CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   93 throttle sticking (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4236100-93-throttle-sticking.html)

radar502 01-27-2019 08:08 AM

93 throttle sticking

My 93 throttle sticking from time to time . I took off the cover of the cruise and exposed the cables rolled the wheels back and let loose snap back I did it over and over . The spring in the throttle is very good snaps back with force ??? It sticks not in the same place going fast slow ideal sometimes not al all but sooner or later it well stick .. I have to pat the gas peddle to get it to unstick . Everything looks good . Any suggestions ..

WhiteC1 01-27-2019 10:00 AM

Radar502,
I think I had the same situation on my 95. Idle speed was usually good, but frequently it would hang up at about 1100. A quick blip of the throttle usually brought it back down. I think the problem is most likely worn throttle shaft bushings. The throttle plates don’t center themselves exactly when it closes and it jams a tiny bit in the bores. They can be rebushed, but in my case I was lucky enough to find a near NOS one that I installed just after I took my car off the road for the winter. I’ve run it a bit, but haven’t driven it yet to confirm that was the problem. There’s been quite a few threads on this issue. Do a search and see if you can get some additional info.

Good Luck,
John

radar502 01-27-2019 11:20 AM

Thanks ,everything looks good must be something I can't see . I didn't think about the bushing .. Thanks ..

belairbrian 01-27-2019 11:21 AM

The reason you aren't seeing it with the engine off is worn bushings is affected by the vacuum behind the plates.
I bought one of these NOS 48mm TB Solved my idle problems. I bought another as a spare at that price. The quadrant is larger but doesn't cause an issue. It has the newer IACV plate design so for the 92/93 you either need to use your bottom plate or an adapter cable for the new style IACV.

radar502 01-27-2019 11:34 AM

Thanks , Great price ,I think that worn out throttle is the problem . The 93 runs GREAT but does have 125,000 and am sure ORG. T-body old bushing worn out .. I can't see any other problem . The cables seem to be free and the throttle snaps back like a bear trap .. Must be binding in the bushing.. I am from Centre Al. myself .. Thanks for all your help..

radar502 01-27-2019 01:29 PM

Yep,found some play in the shaft . I might just re-bush it clean it up I guess rebuilt it good for another 100,000 .. Thanks for the info , most of the time I replace broken parts but this 93 trying to keep the Org. parts on the thing ,so rebuild..

9T3VETTE 01-27-2019 08:02 PM

Can anyone provide details on overhauling the bushings? Didn’t realize this was possible...

belairbrian 01-27-2019 09:22 PM

I've done this on other cars and typically, the first step is removing the throttle plates. There are screws which are usually penned to deform them after installation to prevent them backing out. Then you can disassemble and slide the throttle shaft out. the bushings are then pressed or drilled out. New ones are pressed in and reamed to the correct size and to ensure they are in perfect alignment. Then reassemble.

There was a company you could reach through rock auto that took your TB and rebushed it for around $100. Unless you have the proper tools, this is one to leave to the pros.

radar502 01-28-2019 08:02 AM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ft-rebush.html The whole deal at the link .. and on line can find Companies that sell the rimier and the bushings .. I like the deal lets put steel shaft in soft alum. and see low long before it weirs out ,Holly or none of the rest put a brass bushing in the carbs or T-bodies .. Looking out for the little man .. Right .. I guess keeps you coming back for more ..

radar502 02-05-2019 11:58 AM

Update : Yep the shaft had some play ( little ) and it might had needed to be replaced witch I did with a new throttle body ( PITA ) for sure . I eliminated the hot water deal going through the Throttle body and some other stuff.. " Cruse control " and yes I checked it out before I grabbed of the throttle body the shaft seem to be working just fine will not working so fine . I flipped it a few item's by hand worked fine . The deal was had to mash the gas pedal before it acted up , the cruse would not go all the way back it would hold the throttle body cable leaver off the ideal screw about 1/8 " had to take your hand and roll it back manually before it would go back to were it need to be .. I could not figure it out so I took the gears out of the cruse and it works fine .. So I guess one day I'll put in a new cruse in it .. Got to love it .. Thanks for all your in put .. Runs great it likes the new throttle body .. Anybody thinks its easy figuring out he old Corvettes need to put down the manual and get their hands dirty some of this stuff not easy and new parts will not fix everything .. Just saying ..

radar502 02-06-2019 09:24 AM

I got one of these T-Bs and it works great .. I had to change my bottom plate ,no big deal .. Thanks for the info ..