CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   75 Vette suspension question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4236244-75-vette-suspension-question.html)

buzz2none 01-27-2019 04:12 PM

75 Vette suspension question

I am a novice looking at purchasing a 75 Vette. I noticed that the front end appears to sit higher than the rear. What could be causing this and how expensive/difficult to correct? Thanks ahead of time for your insight.

'75 01-27-2019 04:16 PM

It's possible the rear spring is worn out and needs replaced. Front and rear measurements will tell if the front is high or the rear is low.

buzz2none 01-27-2019 04:39 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0b9a33a42d.jpgThis is an image of the vehicle

'75 01-27-2019 05:20 PM

Rear looks ok, but the front sure is high. Is it an AC car with compressor removed? May have had front end work and the springs are not indexed correctly.

calwldlife 01-27-2019 05:21 PM

looks deceive.
measure

buzz2none 01-27-2019 05:27 PM

How do I go about getting decisive measurement?

'75 01-27-2019 05:31 PM

Tape measure from the highest point of the fender opening to the ground on all 4.

calwldlife 01-27-2019 05:45 PM

decisive would be per gm specs and measuring points.
general would be the wheel arch as mentioned.
too me, late model C3s with standard 225/70 tires had a little too much
gap from wheel arch to tire.
and yes sometimes the azz looks lower.
combo of car lines and tire gap.

a measure of around 27 inches from ground to wheel arch is in the ball park.

DUB 01-27-2019 06:49 PM

I agree... due your photo of the car was not taken in the sunlight. And when I copied it and tried to enlarge it...I could not....and what you want is the rear to be about 1 inch higher than the front...and 27" at the center of the FRONT wheel well lip is a good starting point.

DUB

derekderek 01-27-2019 07:23 PM

Would shorter rear spring bolts help as an interim fix?

stumpshot 01-27-2019 08:05 PM

I have a combination of aluminum heads and intake and the AC is removed. I also have a high front end until I get time to cut a coil.
Is the engine stock?

speedreed8 01-27-2019 08:50 PM

Gas tank may be full too. Helping to lower the rear.

DUB 01-28-2019 06:07 PM

So much is going to depend on how high the front is currently if adn when teh owner gets back with that measurement.....and by the looks of it....it is higher than normal and not so much the rear is too low.

DUB

GUSTO14 01-28-2019 07:21 PM

I would first ask the seller for an explanation of why the front end seems to be so high.

If he says he has no idea, I would ask him if any work has been done on the front end since he has owned it? Ask if someone installed some other than stock springs to lift the front end? Turn the wheels to full lock in one direction and look in at the springs to see if someone has inserted some wedges in them to lift it. (A very common practice back in the day to compensate for sagging springs.)

If work has been done on the front end where the springs were removed either to perform the work, or to replace them, it's possible that they did not get them seated in the lower pocket correctly which can result in it appearing that the front end has been lifted.

All else being okay and with no other explanation, the springs should be able to be changed out for less than $200 by a competent mechanic for the correct ones.

Good luck... GUSTO

The Punisher 01-29-2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by '75 (Post 1598769353)
It's possible the rear spring is worn out and needs replaced. Front and rear measurements will tell if the front is high or the rear is low.

I agree worn out spring or some weight taken off that motor. intake. a/c compressor,etc.

buzz2none 01-30-2019 12:53 PM

To everyone that has weighed in I appreciate your insights. This vehicle was acquired by the current owner in lieu of payment for work performed. He is selling due to lack of space and interest in the vehicle. He admits to having not a whole lot of knowledge on the car or its history.

The Punisher 01-30-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by buzz2none (Post 1598787224)
To everyone that has weighed in I appreciate your insights. This vehicle was acquired by the current owner in lieu of payment for work performed. He is selling due to lack of space and interest in the vehicle. He admits to having not a whole lot of knowledge on the car or its history.

Well do your homework first before purchasing it. Lots of information on the forum.

HeadsU.P. 01-30-2019 03:57 PM

One other thought on a too big of gap above the front tire. As others have mentioned the end of spring has to be clocked into a pocket or else . . . .

And, I wonder if those are BBC springs instead of SBC springs. I believe there are two sets available during the yrs that offered the Big Block (heavier).