CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   PDR quality (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4236356-pdr-quality.html)

Voltamer 01-27-2019 10:01 PM

PDR quality

I just took a look at the first video I recorded with the Performance Data Recorder on my ZR1. The quality was very poor. The colors are muted, and the video is pixelated. I have recorded many hours of video with the PDR on my 2016 Z06 and the quality is fine. Is it possible a bad camera was installed? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Thanks

Zora_Vette 01-27-2019 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Voltamer (Post 1598771161)
I just took a look at the first video I recorded with the Performance Data Recorder on my ZR1. The quality was very poor. The colors are muted, and the video is pixelated. I have recorded many hours of video with the PDR on my 2016 Z06 and the quality is fine. Is it possible a bad camera was installed? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Thanks

Welcome to Chevy, the quality on your $145K Chevy may or may not be worse than on your $90K Chevy, which may or may not be worse than a $20K Chevy. It seems these cars are a gamble, each one having their own unique issues. Back in the old days, I'm told these unique issues were called "features" or "added personality", but today they are a product of poor quality control.

AZ Car Guy 01-27-2019 11:00 PM

I am pleased with the quality of the PDR videos in my ZR1. Keep playing with it and take it to the dealer if needed.

ROBWILKER 01-27-2019 11:52 PM

GM supposedly issued a TSB back in 2016 for the PDR video quality. That was for Corvettes built before mid- March 2015. GM issued a reflash for the software and it was told they upgraded the PDR systems to eliminate the very problems described. I only have 300 miles on my ZR1 since late August 2018 before the cold weather set in so I haven't recorded and reviewed much video yet. I will take note of this when spring arrives.

cartester 01-28-2019 12:09 AM

Make sure the camera lenses are clean.

Dan Massie 01-28-2019 09:11 AM

I've had good quality with my recordings. It's possible that the SD card is too slow. I'm not sure, but there are different speed ratings for read/write on SD cards. That could possibly affect it.

Poor-sha 01-28-2019 09:16 AM

I had the same issue with my ZR1 and it was far worse than my 2017 or 2015 Z06. I haven't tried my 2019 GS PDR yet. The 2016 fix was to correct the green tint issue. I wrote a very detailed description for the dealer which went to GM and then to Cosworth. I had a Cosworth engineer reach out to me to upload a file for analysis but I never got any solution and he never replied to follow-up mails. Please go to your dealer and have them file the issue with GM so we can get some momentum to fix it. You can see it in any of the track videos on my YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDS...IkweraNN2199tg

DebRedZR1 01-28-2019 09:27 AM

I guess I should go try mine.

Rinaldo Catria 01-28-2019 09:33 AM

Thanks

Is everyone using the correct card? a 16 or 32 GB CARD. 10 inside a C on it?

Rinaldo Catria 01-28-2019 11:23 AM

I apologize for making comments that you guys already know,(because I know shit about this stuff), but a computer savy instructor at Spring Mtn mentioned that if you use a card over 32 G, it has to be re-formatted and it will work but they suggested just sticking with the latest 16 or 32 G ones for best results and 10 inside the C was an absolute must. They mentioned nothing about a problem with the PDR system. Thats all I know about it. Havent used the one in my own car enough to have any reliable input on the topic.

SilveradoSS500 01-28-2019 11:40 AM

Thanks

It’s hard going to the 2019 ZR1 from a 2015-2016 Z06. They were just better built cars back then with nicer hardware/software. The stereo and rear view camera on my 2015 Z06 are MUCH nicer than my 2019 ZR1. The stereo is louder and the rear camera has better quality. I’ll go compare the PDRs later today!

Questar 02-04-2019 09:04 PM

Had the same issue that Sean did with my ZR1 PDR video quality. I was contacted by a GM Engineer (via this Forum) and he arranged with my dealer to have the PDR camera replaced and the original unit went back to him at GM for analysis.

The camera replacement seems to have fixed my video quality issues. I never heard back to indicate what, if anything, they found wrong with my original camera unit.

Poor-sha 02-04-2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Questar (Post 1598819501)
Had the same issue that Sean did with my ZR1 PDR video quality. I was contacted by a GM Engineer (via this Forum) and he arranged with my dealer to have the PDR camera replaced and the original unit went back to him at GM for analysis.

The camera replacement seems to have fixed my video quality issues. I never heard back to indicate what, if anything, they found wrong with my original camera unit.

Glad to hear they fixed yours but kind of pissed off they never offered to replace mine. I sure hope I don't have any issues with the GS.

Voltamer 03-23-2019 07:54 PM

Finally got a chance to take the car to the dealer so they can address the horrible PDR video quality.........I will update thread when I get some feedback from the dealer.

Mr. Gizmo 03-24-2019 12:13 AM

Thanks

Maybe its fhe data card your using. You might try a different one before having the dealer dig into the car.

Rinaldo Catria 03-24-2019 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Voltamer (Post 1599097486)
Finally got a chance to take the car to the dealer so they can address the horrible PDR video quality.........I will update thread when I get some feedback from the dealer.

. 10 inside C speed card?

Bill Dearborn 03-24-2019 02:31 PM

It isn't the video card. Choose the wrong card and you get nothing. People are getting poor video quality Vs nothing at all. The source data from the camera isn't correct.

Bill

Poor-sha 03-24-2019 04:14 PM

My 2019 GS has the same issue my ZR1 did and is going to the dealer tomorrow. I am told there is a new camera design that they were going to put in my ZR1 before I totaled it. Now I need to start the process over with my GS.

Questar 03-24-2019 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Poor-sha (Post 1599101123)
My 2019 GS has the same issue my ZR1 did and is going to the dealer tomorrow. I am told there is a new camera design that they were going to put in my ZR1 before I totaled it. Now I need to start the process over with my GS.

I’m guessing that is what GM “tested” in my car... the replacement camera was not handled in the “normal” fashion (at least that is what my dealer service tech told me). The replacement unit came directly from the GM engineer that contacted me last September... and it arrived with specific instructions to return the “old” camera directly back to the engineer’s office (not normal).

Whatever they installed, it fixed the issue. My PDR picture quality is now as good (or better) than what I experienced in my 2017 Z06. Before the replacement my ZR1 picture quality was the same or worse than what I saw on your PDR videos you posted.

Neither my dealer technician (or I) ever heard anything back... no indication what if anything they found wrong with my original PDR camera... nothing at all.

range96 03-25-2019 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Questar (Post 1599103609)
I’m guessing that is what GM “tested” in my car... the replacement camera was not handled in the “normal” fashion (at least that is what my dealer service tech told me). The replacement unit came directly from the GM engineer that contacted me last September... and it arrived with specific instructions to return the “old” camera directly back to the engineer’s office (not normal).

Whatever they installed, it fixed the issue. My PDR picture quality is now as good (or better) than what I experienced in my 2017 Z06. Before the replacement my ZR1 picture quality was the same or worse than what I saw on your PDR videos you posted.

Neither my dealer technician (or I) ever heard anything back... no indication what if anything they found wrong with my original PDR camera... nothing at all.

How could we quantify the quality of these PDR recordings? Could you read a license plate for example on a car front of you? I did notice 'blotchiness' on Poor-sha's recordings (on his ZR1) that I didn't see on his Z06 videos.

It is really a shame that GM couldn't spring for 1080 on its gear. Penny wise in my opinion. Especially on a $150K car.