CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Best polish (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4236358-best-polish.html)

Ladensack3 01-27-2019 10:03 PM

Best polish

Hello, sorry for asking something that has probably been asked a million times. I bought a lemans blue C6 few months ago. I just ordered a random orbital buffer just now. Have couple questions. I have small swirls to fix but they’re not too bad. I want to fix that and have the best mirror shine possible. Can I use 1 kind of polish or do I need to get a swirl fix and then use a polish to shine? Whatever it is what is best for mirror like shine with using the buffer? Sorry for long winded thread just want to make sure I cover all bases. Thanks!

CamarosRus 01-28-2019 04:38 AM

I own a Inferno Orange 2012 Grand Sport that had 19k miles when I bought it.....
Overall a very nice car....but it did have a lot of fine scratches and tiny chips in the clear coat...

I have a Porter Cable 7424 XP Orbital.....Ive had my best results using Meguairs M100 on a Meg's 6" Micro Fiber Pad.
I recently bought a 3" Backing Plate and 3" Micro Fiber Pads as you can more easily get into around tighter areas

I then finish my polishing with Meg's 205 on a White Foam pad and then use Black Fire Sealant and Im getting into
using Black Fire SiO2 Sealant. Read www.AutoGeek.com and their detailing Forum for TONS of info.

Im also using 3" 3M TriZact 5000 grit Foam Backed discs in my correction work

Chuck Sharin Auburn, WA

449er 01-28-2019 09:16 AM

Adams polishes/waxes for me! Check out their website for some fantastic car care products

FYRARMS 01-28-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ladensack3 (Post 1598771171)
Can I use 1 kind of polish or do I need to get a swirl fix and then use a polish to shine?

a) It really depends on how bad/deep the "swirl marks" truly are, and how hard your clearcoat is. For example, when I purchased my C5Z, it only had 25K miles on it and was in extremely good condition. While the paint only had what looked like very fine swirl marks in the paint, the hard clearcoat required using a cutting compound with microfiber cutting pads followed by a finishing polish on foam pads to remove them. b) I have found that what are marketed as "swirl removers" are usually just mild to moderate finishing polishes. Most of them will finish down pretty well without the need for a finer polish afterwards. For example, I successfully corrected a friend's car suffering from lots of surface scuffs and swirl marks using just Lake Country white polishing pads and some 3D "HD Speed" all-in-one. It finished perfectly and I didn't need to use anything milder.

Whatever it is what is best for mirror like shine with using the buffer?
There really is no "best". There are many good products available, and some work better for different paints, and when applied using different pads. However, if you want a "mirror shine", you will likely have to use a couple different polishes and pads, and step down in aggression. I was able to get my car's paint about as shiny as I could using my 7424XP and 5.5" pads, but I did quite a few steps to get there, and I tried quite a few different products along the way. Current condition of my car was achieved using:

Correction
Microfiber cutting pads and 3D "HD Cut Plus" compound
Green foam polishing pads and Poorboy's World "SSR-1".
Blue foam polishing pads and Poorboy's World "Pro Polish".
Protection/Appearance
Black foam finishing pads and Poorboy's World "Black Hole" show glaze.
Red foam finishing pads and Collinite 845 base sealant/wax
Red foam hand applicators and Griot's Garage "Best Of Show" topper wax

Adam's Polish 01-28-2019 02:14 PM

Check out these videos, they will be helpful to you.
Did you have a orbital polisher or a rotary?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-96Shcyb3VyUDy

Ladensack3 01-28-2019 03:42 PM

Orbital

DK83 01-28-2019 03:58 PM

Fyrarms said it pretty well. You should start from a least aggressive method and a test spot. Gauge the type of correction/finish you would like to achieve from the test spot. Also note that you have an finite amount of clear coat to work with.

charley95 01-29-2019 07:00 AM

It's important that you seal,wax or ceramic after you polish the paint for protection. Whichever method you choose.

BudgetPlan1 01-29-2019 01:09 PM

3D/HD One is a relatively new product, level of cut determined by pad. It's a nice, easy to use product, a bit oily on wipeoff.

May wanna try w/ an orange Lake Country Flat Pad or Thin Pro Pad to see if it will get your swirls out. Can then switch to a softer pad like LC White to refine a bit.

If doing whole car and wanna do it all in one shot, best to have about 5-6 of each type of pad so no need to stop, clean and dry in the middle of everything. If your defects are deeper than that, Megs D300 w/ their microfiber cutting pads work pretty well, outcut Megs M101 w/ a yellow LC Foam pad on our black C5. Once you get into heavier stuff, microfiber pads better than heavy cutting foam...generally.

About 100 ways to skin this cat

Ladensack3 02-06-2019 08:17 PM

Ok I was thinking of going with Adams correcting polish then going with finishing polish followed by a good wax. Is this a good method on a lemans blue 2006 vette with minor swirls?

HZ06 09-02-2020 05:44 PM

Hello, me again.

i got the Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound 400 with Lake Country HDO Orange Polishing Pad 3.5" for the most damaged areas, and the 3D one to use with Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber Microfiber Pad 5' for general fix.

How can I fix remaining scratches like the one in the picture?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b3d7364da4.jpg

CamarosRus 09-02-2020 06:57 PM

My amateur opinion is that you will need a more aggressive (micro fiber) pad with your MENZERNA
to remove the worst scratch...

I used Meguairs M100 and JESCAR Corection Compound with Micro Fiber on my Worst Scratches and Clear
Coat Chips.....................

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fb25799be6.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e42835ac30.jpg

FYRARMS 09-02-2020 07:04 PM

Hard to tell from that photo. You tell us. How deep is the scratch? Can you feel it with your fingernail? You can try a more aggressive compound and more aggressive pads, or try wet-sanding. If it is too deep, it is just staying there.

HZ06 09-02-2020 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1602118001)
Hard to tell from that photo. You tell us. How deep is the scratch? Can you feel it with your fingernail? You can try a more aggressive compound and more aggressive pads, or try wet-sanding. If it is too deep, it is just staying there.

No, I can not feel it, just see it, and there are a lot over the car. Thanks.

Loki 6 09-02-2020 10:55 PM

If it is as deep and persistent as you say...Might try bustin' out the sledgehammer...Megs 105 or Ardex Hard At It or Car Pro Clear Cut and a wool pad?

FYRARMS 09-02-2020 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by H-Z/28 (Post 1602118995)
No, I can not feel it, just see it, and there are a lot over the car. Thanks.

I would try this on a scratch that is low on the car and not easy to see. Use this as a test. Pick up a couple Meguiar's 3.5" microfiber cutting disks. Use the Menzerna 400 with them. Turn the machine speed up to 5 and make some slow passes over a scratch. That should be aggressive enough if you can't feel the scratch with your nail. You will likely need to use a finer polish on foam pads to finish down.

I fixed this nasty C5 paint using the Meg's cutting disks and Meg's M100 compound. The Menzerna 400 should work just as well.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...75a2f51c68.jpg

HZ06 09-02-2020 11:48 PM

I juts ordered the microfiber pads, Let you know how it works. Thanks.

cv67 09-03-2020 11:57 AM

Rus what brand are those wheels, very tasteful dig the finish too. Classy

Loki 6 09-03-2020 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cv67 (Post 1602121461)
Rus what brand are those wheels, very tasteful dig the finish too. Classy

I believe they are the "super clean, super dialed in, you could eat of of those whilst performing sterile environment surgery on them " model that only Chuck knows where to get and maintain!

@CamarosRus

CamarosRus 09-03-2020 03:49 PM

Loki6, You are too kind and amusing ..................

My Wheels are SIGNATURE SV701 with their BRUSHED FINISH and CLEAR Powder Coat
They have many other Tinted Powder Coats as well Over the Brushed Surface ie Titanium, Black Tint, etc etc

Wheels are mfg in Taiwan and currently take aprox 5 weeks to YOUR DOOR.

I feel that SIGNATURE offers The Best Value in High Quality FORGED Wheels

Contact me if you need more info than you can GOOGLE Search for